Letting your stomach be your tourguide?

MattsCath

This is my first trip to WDW and was wondering...

How many sit-down meals do you usually have in WDW? How many of those do you usually make PS's for in advance?
(both character and non-character)

currently, I have 2 dinner reservations (Rose and Crown Pub, Artist Point) and one character breakfast.... (1900 Park Fare)
for a 4night/5 day stay

Just curious :rolleyes:

RobFL

Account Suspended
I normally call the day of, or the day before.

I typically have 1 sit down meal per planned "trip."

If it's just an outing to the park with a friend and not a larger group, we often just hit snack stands and burger places.

I think for touring the parks this is preferable. It can be refreshing to be waited on around 4-5pm though and the outside in time for the fireworks and at Epcot, the parades.

Play it by ear. If you decided there's somewhere you want to eat, just pick up the nearest public phone and dial *88 from anywhere on property and see if they can squeeze you in. I suggest calling first, saves you walking time if they're booked.

-Rob

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
Additionally you can have a relaxing "sit down" meal at some counter service locations in the parks. Makes for a restful lunch and scenery is nice to boot!

For example, at Epcot, grab some at the electric umbrella, talk to the talking trash can, and then make your way to the second floor and get a spot close to the windows and watch traffic flow by beneath you. I find it thoroughly restful. I would suggest the bottom floor looking out toward the fountain, bu the second floor is much quieter and cozier.

At the Magic Kingdom, hit Cosmic Rays Starlight cafe and hit the Soup, Salad, and Sandwich windows. There is almsot never a line there, and the sandwiches are better than the burgers everyone else is waiting to get anyday. Then, grab a seat nearby and have a great view of Cinderella castle.

If you hadn't noticed. I don't recommend planning every meal with a PS as some do. I find it far too expensive an not always enjoyable and convienent.

Just some suggestions though!

-Rob

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

it would also depend on your budget. Its nice and relaxing to have a "proper" meal, with service - but a snack meal can be just as filling and cheaper.
On our next trip we have so far agreed to three service meals (with PS) during our stay, but theres always scope for more.

Upvote 0

MattsCath

Original Poster
I agree that sit downs can get expensive. I've surfed some of the menus posted on the boards. We're doing Rose and Crown because it's my bf's fav and we're doing Artist's Point because well, it's at the Wilderness Lodge where we are staying and it looks pretty intriguing.

I'm a foodie, and I tend to always get carried away when I travel. So it's nice that I can get advice from the experts!

Also
***When I called for the PS to Rose and Crown Pub, the CM that I spoke with said that due to overwhelming demand, they aren't taking any requests for special seating. Is there a trick to this? Should we just plan on arriving early for our 8 pm seating or should I change the time to guarantee a table outside (for the fireworks).

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

inlovewithWDW

Good luck getting into the Rose & Crown for the fireworks. We have tried for a couple of years now and have not succeeded.

We have sat at the cantina in Mexico and had a great view with yummy margaritas! :slurp:

Upvote 0

alee4eva

Disney portions of food at sit down restaurants tend to be large. When my friends and i go, being four teenage girls, we like to sleep and get to the parks late after the crowds and the heat. So, to get them up, i usually make our meal like in between lunch and dinner so they leave the rooom by 3 pm lol We eat our way through disney, having one meal a day at a sit down restaurant. It depends on how u want to tour the park though. I've been 17 times so I like to take it slow. It made the trip relaxing and enjoyable, and we were able to get everything we wanted to do in via fast passes and shorter lines later in the day etc. I'm not suggesting waking up as late as we do, but one big meal a day actually saves time and it fills you up.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I always suggest to my customers that they do two meals a day. Breakfast and Dinner. With the portions Disney gives you , you can get away with the two meals and a snack for lunch. For my family I do all of the priority seatings for each day well in advance. I hate waiting for a table just like everyone else. I plan out my itinerary including all of my PS arrangements (just like I do for my customers) well before I leave. I feel that if you have kids, they are a must. You do not want to stand around in the heat with hungry children. I whole heartedly support making all PS arrangements ahead of time.

Upvote 0

cj2me

we usually have one sit down meal per day and arrange it in accordance with he evening show/fireworks.....In MK it is the Castle, they dim the lighting when it is time for the fireworks....MGM-Either, Brown Derby, Mama Melroses or Hollywood and Vine, this way you get priority seating for Fantasmic. Epcot---its a toss up....

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

To get an outside seat for the fireworks at the Rose and Crown I would suggest arriving for your 8pm seating at about 7.30pm and tell the server that you are more than willing to wait for an outside table. This has always worked for us and is a perfect excuse to squeeze in an extra few G'n'T's:animwink:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Kingdom you sound just like me!!! I am the go to person at my job for all things Disney and have managed to save my friends a bunch of money already just by knowing the specials!!! The travel agent they were dealing with wasnt terribly pleased with me I Am sure as he had to book the rooms at the lower rate or I told the girls that I would help them through booking!! I also recommended a sit down type of meal (at least one a day) and to do PS they did and Im sure they are going to be quite pleased!!! A little planning goes a LONG way!!!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I agree with you. I do professional itineraries for clients traveling to WDW and they are always so pleased when they come back. They save themselves so much time by having the PS made ahead of time. I usually have all of the discount codes for the rooms/pkgs and will try to find my clients a good deal on a room if they need one.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

I'm too undecided about where I want to eat from moment to moment to even think of making PS's until the morning of...and then I still might change my mind! :) Anyhow, I've never had any problem ending up eating where I really wanted to eat. I just can't possibly imagine trying to decide where I want to eat months in advance....guess I'm a moment by moment kinda girl! :D

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I do the majority of my work over the internet. When I am in need of more consultants, I will keep you in mind. I do have at least 4 people contact me a week asking me to hire them. I ask for a resume and then I keep it on file.
As far as making all of my PS ahead of time, I have many of the menu's on file and I go over them to see what looks good. I do have many favorite restaurants that I always go to, so that makes some choices easy. And I always tried to sample at least 2 new ones on each trip. I don't have too many left to try! LOL

I do this more to save time for the parks, so that I don't waste time waiting for a table. And my customers love the fact that they can choose where they want to eat, ( I send sample menus to them) and I do all of the calling. They simple take their Itinerary with them to the parks and it tells them what time their PS is and to get there a few minutes ahead of time to check in, etc. If they have a birthday or anniversary, I let the people at dining know. The itinerary is complet with everything from where the characters are to the hours and PS #'s and where the best viewing for the parades/fireworks/Illuminations are. I DO IT ALL!

Upvote 0

fanofwdw

Disney & Food...what a combination...

Wow! What a topic.

I was thinking of this the other day as I was getting ready for our trip in 3 weeks. I ranked the aspects of Disney in this order of importance...

1. (most important) Resort
2. Special Events (Character Meals, Victoria & Albert's...even though they are food).
3. Restaurants/Dining
4. Parks
5. Parades/Fireworks

Planning the dining has been so much fun. After going through all of the tour books and reading threads in these forums, I don't have enough days to eat at all the restaurants I want to...and the ones my daughter will enjoy.

I am going to do breakfast in the room...donuts, cereal (get milk morning of). And then I am doing at least 1 priority seating a day. Everything I've read stresses how important this is, especially for the really neat restaurants...

Bottom line...how important are "really cool" dining experiences. It can be expensive. I'm budgeting almost $100 for food. A PS sit-down for my family of three can cost between $50 and $100. But for me...it's worth it.

Victoria & Albert's, Ohana, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Biergarten (I'm of German decent)...very, very excited!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Kingdom, that is awesome!!! You dont know (actually you probably do) how often I have heard that it is OK to make PS arragements when you get to your hotel!! Or that the people involved thought the travel agent they had worked with had already booked Cinderella's Breakfast for them and they didnt!!! My friends who are going were told that they could have a character breakfast right in the hotel they were staying at. I laughed as they are staying at the Carribean Beach!!! I told them that that wasnt possible and went over a bunch of different ones with them. They wanted the Castle and I told them how to get it. They had no problem making the reservation for that!! My advice to all ALWAYS do your own PS arrangements!! or get the confirmation numbers from your agent.

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
Important tip:

You can dial *88 from any in-park pubic phone and connect with Disney reservations. That way, if you get the urge to eat somewhere you hadn't considered before, you can call and see if you can get a seat in the next few hours instead of just waiting.

-Rob

Upvote 0

LuvEpcot143

I've never had a problem eating where I wanted. I always make my reservations the day of and we usually eat sit down two maybe three meals aday. My goal is to eat in all of the countries in Epcot.

P:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom