Letter about AKL refurbishment starting 5 January 2016

stevehousse

How about AFTER the huge event like a REAL hotel chain does. You will not find the NYC hotels starting a refurb project on Fashion Week or Thanksgiving week.

Just another indicator that Disney no longer gives a damn about the guest experience.
They are doing after a real event! The insanely busy holiday season. The marathons don't pack the parks like the holidays do, and most people that do run the marathons usually stay where they can get deals for them that are offered. January and February are typically a slow period for the resort. Don't let some lobby furniture ruin your vacation. That just sounds silly...lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
You bought BLT? 6 years ago? You bought into BLT?

BLT is the worst of all the DVC resorts I've stayed at. Cheapest looking, cheapest feeling. And you bought that because you want highly themed resorts?

I bought into BLT because extended family has small children and we treat them to trips frequently also parents are older and like MK, So I bought BLT for its location alone. not for it's Brutalist styling (google it)

Also at that point in time I was quite happy with how the parks and DVC were run.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
I think this is the point. Walt Disney World resorts, especially the AKL, used to be all about theming. And definitely not indistinguishable from a Hilton Garden Inn.

I LOVED the AKL color schemed when I could afford to stay there one time. The dark and bold colors helped transport me. The details, like the lettering on the wall and the carvings on the rough-hewn wood furniture, stood out to me.

Perhaps it is over the top to say that his experience in recent stays was "hell," but he likely means by comparison. And perhaps @ford91exploder does complain a lot here; but I feel like I know where he is coming from. I grew up with Disney, and especially WDW, as the definition of exceptionalism. It is frustrating to see mediocrity creep in to the place that inspired me to go above and beyond in creativity while still doing what was necessary to make people happy. Why have a regular old car bridge when you could have water bridge? Why have a regular train, when you could have a neato-cool monorail that ran efficiently above your head? Why have stadium-like echoes during the parade, when you can calculate the speed of sound and distribute it beautifully and mathematically in disguised speakers throughout the parade route making each performer seem like they are singing especially to you?

I get the risks of speaking up too often in a negative fashion, but I also get that among the fan base that discusses details daily, it is also useful to talk about missed opportunities.

As for AKL, this new "update" reminds me a lot of the discussion around removing the water feature from the Poly. Updates and even complete overhauls could be done, but overall the best approach should have left us still marveling at the intricate details and not in sentences that include "meh" or "Hilton Garden Inn," especially when they charge four times what the price of a Hilton Garden Inn.

I just want WDW to continue not only inspire sometimes, but in the breathtaking ways it used to.

When I say last couple of stays were hell, Lets just say on checkin to AKL we had several trips to front desk (at Jambo) to get MB's to open door on trip #5 I refused to go back without a front desk CM (did not work for THEM that trip) so 6 round trips to desk, When we finally got in coffeemaker and microwave were both 101,

Another trip this time in a BLT grand villa, room was not ready till 7PM, When we got in locks to balcony were broken in the unlocked position (we had two toddlers) and refrigerator was dead that took most of night to fix.

I spend about 120 days a year on the road and this level of service is simply unacceptable and at one time it did not happen at WDW,

Yeah I did stay at UNI for a short trip to see the lights one last time it was a tossup between the new Hilton and UNI but chose UNI so I could walk back to hotel after seeing Mannheim Steamroller. I did not stay at Disney b/c I was only there for 2-1/2 days and I did not want to spend any of that time dealing with Disney's screwups.

andysol

Understandable, I'm just miffed that they've got to meddle with things that aren't broken. We just came back today from 8 days in the bubble, 4 of which at AKL, and there are many, IMO, things they could focus on rather than "fixing" what already works well.

I was there just a few weeks ago and I had to really try to see what they're doing different just using my memory and not pulling up another room. I see the walls- maybe the headboard- but everything else looks the same to me.

NOT what I bought into DVC for, I'm a charter member at both AKL and BLT. If I wanted a cheap generic hotel experience it would have been a lot cheaper to buy into other programs.
Dang- @xdan0920 beat me to it. When I saw "BLT" as not a "Cheap generic hotel experience"- I laughed. BLT is my least favorite- best location- but its just a hilton outside of that.
You bought BLT? 6 years ago? You bought into BLT?

BLT is the worst of all the DVC resorts I've stayed at. Cheapest looking, cheapest feeling. And you bought that because you want highly themed resorts?

Get used to it. He never fails to deliver material like this. Also, he has "experience" in nearly every field (including my own), so anything you or I say will be refuted.
I love @ford91exploder He brings levity to my day. If you take him seriously- that's on you. I view him as like a drunk uncle. I wouldn't want to be around him all the time, but he makes me laugh stumbling around.

I spend about 120 days a year on the road and this level of service is simply unacceptable and at one time it did not happen at WDW,
If I'm an employee at a hotel, I would treat the nice guests nice, and whiny entitled complaining babies poorly. So not sure why you aren't getting treated nice. Or is it because....

Last edited:

Imagineerwannabe

Sorry to everyone here, I'm a dvc member and own at AKL, I'm not sure I see what the problem is from the image renderings...it looks like it's getting some new paint colours and new carpet..furniture looks exactly the same...
Am I missing something? All looks fine to me?!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Sorry to everyone here, I'm a dvc member and own at AKL, I'm not sure I see what the problem is from the image renderings...it looks like it's getting some new paint colours and new carpet..furniture looks exactly the same...

No you have not missed anything, ford91exploder just has to fine something to complain about. As Disney is making improvements all around Walt Disney World, he just has to find something to complain about. Next week it will be the diameter of the straws are .001cm smaller than when Walt Disney World opened.

Tony the Tigger

Yup, The new DVC standard unthemed furniture that's used at your local Motel 6 and crappy eggshell white paint poorly applied over wallpaper and/or stucco.

NOT what I bought into DVC for, I'm a charter member at both AKL and BLT. If I wanted a cheap generic hotel experience it would have been a lot cheaper to buy into other programs.

Poorly applied? Really?

Methinks you just like drama.

Prince-1

No you have not missed anything, ford91exploder just has to fine something to complain about. As Disney is making improvements all around Walt Disney World, he just has to find something to complain about. Next week it will be the diameter of the straws are .001cm smaller than when Walt Disney World opened.

Whaaaat??? :eek: Oh, hellz no. When did this happen?? Taking away my beloved pork shanks and Main Street Bakery cinnamon rolls was one thing but making my straws smaller??!! I do not think so Disney...you have crossed the line with this.

prberk

Look up to my post just above yours and you will see what I think is the issue. The dark color schemes and the carvings, etc., being replaced with a generic white makes this go from a highly-themed "animal kingdom" lodge with great detailing and immersive experience even in the rooms, to more of a Hilton type of feel.

Still "nice" but not "exceptional" like the price (four times the price of normal "nice" hotel) would imply, and like Disney used to be so specific about.

They used to be all about details. That is what I am pointing out. I am not the OP, but I do agree on this point: the rooms went from "exceptionally themed and detailed" to "nice," yet the price continued to climb.

This is not unrelated to the loss of trees and the change to the immersive "wilderness" character of the "Wilderness Lodge" being discussed on that thread. They have leveled a bunch of trees there and opened up a view of the MK, which takes you right out of the immersive theme that used to be there.

jhastings74

We just returned from our honeymoon a few days ago and stayed at AKL for a week. I am a die-hard Value Resort guy, and have been for years since I have always only typically needed a room to sleep in. Plus I love the Value Resorts. But that's neither here nor there.

My question to anyone who may know is this: When moving forward with refurbs, does the company get any type of consumer feedback on proposed design changes? Maybe have a few choices and then take a survey on the parts of each that are good/not good? I can see where the OP is coming from, but can't say that I would share the same level of frustration. What I CAN say is that this was my first stay at a Deluxe and I was disappointed in 3 things:

1.) I received our text confirmation about our room being ready to check in and it had the room number. When we arrived at AKL, I double-checked at the front desk but was given a different room number. We walked all the way to that room to find out our MB didn't open the door, so walked BACK to the front desk, was told it was fixed, did it again, it didn't work, then went back again and was told that oops, our original, texted room number was the correct one. Not a big deal, but annoying, if nothing else.

2.) I had ordered from Disney Floral to have the 'Toast to a Happily Ever After' waiting in the room when we got there. We walked into our room and it wasn't there (Wifey did not know anything about it, though, since it was a surprise). I contacted the front desk and was told that they couldn't leave it in the room since it was alcohol (it wasn't...it was sparkling grape juice...). Since it was so late, I was welcome to come pick it up or they could deliver it to the room the next day. I wanted it (and our Mickey ears that came with it) to surprise the wife, so I walked down and got it. To piggy-back on that, I had ordered a Christmas floral arrangement to be delivered the next day (I wanted a small tree since we were going to be there over Christmas but was told they were out). When we got back to our room the next day: no arrangement. I had to call the desk again, and was told that one part of the two parts were delivered (they were waiting on the special, added personalized ornaments I ordered along with the arrangement), but they would go check. They got back on the phone and told me that everything was there now, and again, since it was late (this was after we got back from the parks, so it was around 11:45p) I could come down and pick it up or it could be delivered the next day. Again...annoying, not a deal-breaker by any means, but from what my visions of Disney service and a Deluxe Resort (and the cost of it), I would have expected them to have it a little more together than this...

3.) Finally, our TV was skipping out every night we were there. We couldn't even leave Channel 01 or 02 or whatever the one that plays the great music and scrolls through each part of the property with times, shows, etc. This was true for the first 12 channels. We couldn't watch the Must Do channel, which being the Disney nerd I am, I love to just have on in the background.

This was wife's first time to really experience Disney, and I was silently embarrassed about these few things. I think only the TV took a shred of enjoyment away from what otherwise was a stellar trip. Again, these things aren't deal-breakers at ALL...but not what I expected from the Deluxe.

I will say that I think the carpets are all due for a change, so I welcome that. And as others have said, it shouldn't impact guests at all, except for maybe lingering carpet glue smell. Small price to pay to enjoy the entire rest of the property.

That's all I've got. :) I am a LOOOOONG time member here but rare poster. Just wanted to weigh in on this.

Thanks, all.

majortom1981

I own an AKL also. The picture is a phone pic of a pic. The color looks light yellow. all it looks like they are doing is putting a lighter yellow on the walls and lightening up the carpet on the floor. I don't see why thats a big deal. I agree with you.

Tony the Tigger

We just returned from our honeymoon a few days ago and stayed at AKL for a week. I am a die-hard Value Resort guy, and have been for years since I have always only typically needed a room to sleep in. Plus I love the Value Resorts. But that's neither here nor there.

My question to anyone who may know is this: When moving forward with refurbs, does the company get any type of consumer feedback on proposed design changes? Maybe have a few choices and then take a survey on the parts of each that are good/not good? I can see where the OP is coming from, but can't say that I would share the same level of frustration. What I CAN say is that this was my first stay at a Deluxe and I was disappointed in 3 things:

1.) I received our text confirmation about our room being ready to check in and it had the room number. When we arrived at AKL, I double-checked at the front desk but was given a different room number. We walked all the way to that room to find out our MB didn't open the door, so walked BACK to the front desk, was told it was fixed, did it again, it didn't work, then went back again and was told that oops, our original, texted room number was the correct one. Not a big deal, but annoying, if nothing else.

2.) I had ordered from Disney Floral to have the 'Toast to a Happily Ever After' waiting in the room when we got there. We walked into our room and it wasn't there (Wifey did not know anything about it, though, since it was a surprise). I contacted the front desk and was told that they couldn't leave it in the room since it was alcohol (it wasn't...it was sparkling grape juice...). Since it was so late, I was welcome to come pick it up or they could deliver it to the room the next day. I wanted it (and our Mickey ears that came with it) to surprise the wife, so I walked down and got it. To piggy-back on that, I had ordered a Christmas floral arrangement to be delivered the next day (I wanted a small tree since we were going to be there over Christmas but was told they were out). When we got back to our room the next day: no arrangement. I had to call the desk again, and was told that one part of the two parts were delivered (they were waiting on the special, added personalized ornaments I ordered along with the arrangement), but they would go check. They got back on the phone and told me that everything was there now, and again, since it was late (this was after we got back from the parks, so it was around 11:45p) I could come down and pick it up or it could be delivered the next day. Again...annoying, not a deal-breaker by any means, but from what my visions of Disney service and a Deluxe Resort (and the cost of it), I would have expected them to have it a little more together than this...

3.) Finally, our TV was skipping out every night we were there. We couldn't even leave Channel 01 or 02 or whatever the one that plays the great music and scrolls through each part of the property with times, shows, etc. This was true for the first 12 channels. We couldn't watch the Must Do channel, which being the Disney nerd I am, I love to just have on in the background.

This was wife's first time to really experience Disney, and I was silently embarrassed about these few things. I think only the TV took a shred of enjoyment away from what otherwise was a stellar trip. Again, these things aren't deal-breakers at ALL...but not what I expected from the Deluxe.

I will say that I think the carpets are all due for a change, so I welcome that. And as others have said, it shouldn't impact guests at all, except for maybe lingering carpet glue smell. Small price to pay to enjoy the entire rest of the property.

That's all I've got. :) I am a LOOOOONG time member here but rare poster. Just wanted to weigh in on this.

Thanks, all.

The delivery mistakes could have happened at any resort, deluxe or otherwise.

The TV thing would drive me nuts but I'm guessing given the time of year you went, there probably wasn't another available room to be moved to. Did they make any attempt to do something about it? Could it have been an issue with the remote being pre-programmed to skip those channels when hitting "channel up?"

The initial room thing - I think you inadvertently complicated that yourself by going to the front desk first. When you get the text, just go right to the room. Why open yourself up to human error?

majortom1981

Look up to my post just above yours and you will see what I think is the issue. The dark color schemes and the carvings, etc., being replaced with a generic white makes this go from a highly-themed "animal kingdom" lodge with great detailing and immersive experience even in the rooms, to more of a Hilton type of feel.

Still "nice" but not "exceptional" like the price (four times the price of normal "nice" hotel) would imply, and like Disney used to be so specific about.

They used to be all about details. That is what I am pointing out. I am not the OP, but I do agree on this point: the rooms went from "exceptionally themed and detailed" to "nice," yet the price continued to climb.

This is not unrelated to the loss of trees and the change to the immersive "wilderness" character of the "Wilderness Lodge" being discussed on that thread. They have leveled a bunch of trees there and opened up a view of the MK, which takes you right out of the immersive theme that used to be there.

The picture shows light yellow not white. look at the picture again. its an off color picture from a phone of another picture.
http://blog.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/AKL-Room-02.jpg

Thats what the rooms look like now. The furniture is not changing just the carpet and a lighter shade of yellow.

COProgressFan

The delivery mistakes could have happened at any resort, deluxe or otherwise.

The TV thing would drive me nuts but I'm guessing given the time of year you went, there probably wasn't another available room to be moved to. Did they make any attempt to do something about it? Could it have been an issue with the remote being pre-programmed to skip those channels when hitting "channel up?"

The initial room thing - I think you inadvertently complicated that yourself by going to the front desk first. When you get the text, just go right to the room. Why open yourself up to human error?

The delivery mistake could have happened anywhere. But in this case it sounds like no one really had the motivation to resolve the issue, other than "I guess you can come down to the desk and get it". Is that appropriate service? Whether it's a $100 room or $400 room.

As far as the room key, it is in no way possible that it's the guest's fault the room didn't open. To blame the guest because their room door didn't open with their Magic Band is completely illogical.

I'd like to add, we traveled with 8 recently to AKL, and two in our group had issues with their bands not opening the doors. It is not only frustrating, but time consuming, to continually have to go back to the check-in area to resolve this. And we continue to hear stories about it online, years after the bands went live. There clearly are still issues here.

Tony the Tigger

The delivery mistake could have happened anywhere. But in this case it sounds like no one really had the motivation to resolve the issue, other than "I guess you can come down to the desk and get it". Is that appropriate service? Whether it's a $100 room or $400 room.

As far as the room key, it is in no way possible that it's the guest's fault the room didn't open. To blame the guest because their room door didn't open with their Magic Band is completely illogical.

I'd like to add, we traveled with 8 recently to AKL, and two in our group had issues with their bands not opening the doors. It is not only frustrating, but time consuming, to continually have to go back to the check-in area to resolve this. And we continue to hear stories about it online, years after the bands went live. There clearly are still issues here.

Well, we are making an assumption here that nobody was "motivated." It was nearly midnight. There may literally be no extra people on staff to leave the front desk and deliver it to the room. I don't know. Neither do you. Maybe they could have asked maintenance. Maybe they could have included something extra. Maybe not. We can't have expectations without knowing the facts.

Is it the guest's "fault" the room didn't open - that's different than saying someone was basically opening themselves up to complications. When you deal with any version of customer service enough times, you know mistakes are rampant. Why would you go to the front desk to make sure after getting a text with your room number? As it turned out, the original room number from the text was the correct room number all along. So if the guest had simply left well enough alone and followed the text to their room, their magic bands would have opened the door with no problem, no walking back and forth, etc. When you go to a human first and you didn't have to, you leave one more possibility open for a human to make a mistake - which they obviously did in giving them a new room number and then not attaching it to their magic bands. I can say that would not have happened to me, because I would not have invited that possibility. I don't take chances with people screwing things up, which is exceedingly common from pretty much any business. So no, it's not "illogical" at all. It's completely logical.

Room keys sometimes don't work at every hotel in existence.

By the way, at what point was someone supposed to put the items he ordered inside which room - the correct room or the other room? While he was walking back and forth?

jerodisney

Thanks, all.
I can tell you this much... Last September I stayed at VGF and my first nigh I went to pull out the Sofa Bed and the sheets where not changed had some sort of "Soda" stain all over the sheets. I called the front desk told them what happened, and they immediately sent someone. I was with a group of 8 Disney First Timers so same as you I was a bit embarrassed. I don't let go things easy though, I Called the Front Desk and asked for Room Service Manager to call me, I complained explained the situation and I got free Room Service every day at my room (for those that are not DVC owners, DVC only gets room services every 4 days). Then the 3rd day they forgot to do room service since we got told they were doing everyday we had pile all our towels in the floor, I called complain again and got a free tray of desserts. I'm pretty sure if you had push enough or asked to talk to a manager they would had deliver it to your room and probably apologized by giving you some extra something.

Homerclaus

A lighter shade of yellow makes a 5 page thread. Cool.

Welcome! Come for the cool rumors and insider details, stay for the crazy arguments about paint, entitlements, 1%'ers, Disney as a business, pixie dusters, curmudgeons, fanbois, toons in Epcot's future world, the crappy state of Ecpot's future world, parking ramps, capital expenditures, disco yeti, road side dinosaur pavement, Toy Story land vs. Toy Story playland, and the relative social values of just about everything else.......it's a lurker's paradise in here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom