Letter about AKL refurbishment starting 5 January 2016

MonorailLover

lostpro9het

I wasn't being sarcastic, it was just a joke about myself... All I mean is I always end up trying to find the positive thing about a change in WDW, which is probably a bad habit of mine.
Understandable, I'm just miffed that they've got to meddle with things that aren't broken. We just came back today from 8 days in the bubble, 4 of which at AKL, and there are many, IMO, things they could focus on rather than "fixing" what already works well.

Next Big Thing

And who am I? Just someone that purchased an interest in a product that is now changing to something I didn't sign up for.
If you purchase into DVC or ANY Vacation club, you can't expect the rooms to look the same forever. Design trends change in with that, over time, hotels start to follow and put their own spin on what is considered the "in" style for hotel rooms.

Disney isn't taking away the African-themed nature of these rooms, but making the spaces lighter and brighter. This same conversation was had when the GrandFlo rooms were updated a year or two ago. The rooms were early 20th century's themed and were horrendous. The change was welcomed by most.

I happen to like the current look of the DAKL rooms and also like the new look in the pictures. Many guests don't like being fully immersed while in their hotel room, so Disney has to find a middle ground where things can be elegant and subtle, while still reflecting what the hotel stands for.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
We had a stay booked for May, received the same letter. We booked through dvcrequest and my wife is now pregnant, we can't go anyway... I wonder if we called the customer service # and try to move vacation later in year if we will have more success that way... Thoughts?

alissafalco

Anyone else get the letter about refurbishment at AKL starting 5 January?, Once again the geniuses at WDW start a refurb in the middle of a major event (WDW Marathon)

Supposedly this is an 'update' of the furniture/carpets at AKL, Anyone want to bet the themed furniture is on its way out to be replaced by furnishings one can find at your local Motel 6? along the lines of the 'de-furbishments' we've seen so far at other DVC resorts.

We all know 'Diznee is a Bizness' but I did not buy AKL to stay in rooms with cheap generic furniture even though this allows the accountaneers to leverage volume purchasing.

The replacement of the themed dinnerware with dinnerware which can be found at the enlisted men's mess was bad enough. Now another so called 'refresh' is under way.
With something always going on at WDW, and the parks always being busy, I really don't think there is a good time to do a refurb anymore. They have to pick the least of all the busy times, so I don't fault them for that. What I do fault them for is the few days notice, leaving you no time to prepare or change things. Disney has become notorious for this and I think you are right to be upset about that. As for the refurbed furniture I would wait and see it first before passing judgement.

tissandtully

Anyone else get the letter about refurbishment at AKL starting 5 January?, Once again the geniuses at WDW start a refurb in the middle of a major event (WDW Marathon)

Supposedly this is an 'update' of the furniture/carpets at AKL, Anyone want to bet the themed furniture is on its way out to be replaced by furnishings one can find at your local Motel 6? along the lines of the 'de-furbishments' we've seen so far at other DVC resorts.

We all know 'Diznee is a Bizness' but I did not buy AKL to stay in rooms with cheap generic furniture even though this allows the accountaneers to leverage volume purchasing.

The replacement of the themed dinnerware with dinnerware which can be found at the enlisted men's mess was bad enough. Now another so called 'refresh' is under way.

You really need to get a grip on reality and stop focusing on the negatives. If you go to any of the DVC sites, they all have photos of what the new rooms will look like, they will be brighter (whitish walls), the furniture isn't changing that much.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
You really need to get a grip on reality and stop focusing on the negatives. If you go to any of the DVC sites, they all have photos of what the new rooms will look like, they will be brighter (whitish walls), the furniture isn't changing that much.

Yup, The new DVC standard unthemed furniture that's used at your local Motel 6 and crappy eggshell white paint poorly applied over wallpaper and/or stucco.

NOT what I bought into DVC for, I'm a charter member at both AKL and BLT. If I wanted a cheap generic hotel experience it would have been a lot cheaper to buy into other programs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
With something always going on at WDW, and the parks always being busy, I really don't think there is a good time to do a refurb anymore. They have to pick the least of all the busy times, so I don't fault them for that. What I do fault them for is the few days notice, leaving you no time to prepare or change things. Disney has become notorious for this and I think you are right to be upset about that. As for the refurbed furniture I would wait and see it first before passing judgement.

They are STARTING it the day before the WDW marathon actvities begin one of the biggest events held at WDW, If they had started the Monday AFTER I would not have had an issue.

As to the refurbed furniture what was done at the GF is enough to indicate that it will be cheap generic furniture not worthy of a so called 'deluxe' resort.

Refurbs (or De-Furbs as currently practiced by TWDC) need to happen sometime but you don't start them in the middle of a major event.

jaklgreen

Yup, The new DVC standard unthemed furniture that's used at your local Motel 6 and crappy eggshell white paint poorly applied over wallpaper and/or stucco.

NOT what I bought into DVC for, I'm a charter member at both AKL and BLT. If I wanted a cheap generic hotel experience it would have been a lot cheaper to buy into other programs.

I would think that you bought into Disney DVC because you love going to WDW not because of what end table they use in the rooms. My family looked at the photos and like the newer brighter room look. The old one was too dark and for us, dark seems dirtier. Plus you have not even seen how they have refurbished it. You don't know what quality the furniture is or if the paint is applied poorly, since it is not even done yet. I don't know why you are so angry about something that has not happened yet.

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
I would think that you bought into Disney DVC because you love going to WDW not because of what end table they use in the rooms. My family looked at the photos and like the newer brighter room look. The old one was too dark and for us, dark seems dirtier. Plus you have not even seen how they have refurbished it. You don't know what quality the furniture is or if the paint is applied poorly, since it is not even done yet. I don't know why you are so angry about something that has not happened yet.
72084548756ed36e8d72e482e46c91f0.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster

We DO know all of those things based on the 'quality' of the work done at the GF last year.

mouse_luv

We had a stay booked for May, received the same letter. We booked through dvcrequest and my wife is now pregnant, we can't go anyway... I wonder if we called the customer service # and try to move vacation later in year if we will have more success that way... Thoughts?

If you rented DVC points through them then you are locked in, you won't be able to change it. The only thing he could probably do for you is to sell off your dedicated reservation and hope that someone buys it.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
If you rented DVC points through them then you are locked in, you won't be able to change it. The only thing he could probably do for you is to sell off your dedicated reservation and hope that someone buys it.

Yeah... Been hoping someone would buy it since October... Not looking good... Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom