Pre-Trip Let's Try This Graduation Trip Again

Now that I finally finished the report from our July trip, let's delve into the plans for our next trip! If you recall, the last trip was supposed to be a cruise to celebrate Logan's high school graduation. That obviously didn't happen and we rescheduled it for June 2022. Let's hope it actually happens this time!! First, let me introduce my family in case there are newcomers here who don't know us.
2021.jpg

Me (Amy), my husband Brian, and our kids, Lily (16), Owen (13), and Logan (19).

I am disappointed that we were originally scheduled on a 5 night Castaway Cay double dip cruise on the Fantasy sailing out of Port Canaveral and the only double dip this coming year was in September which is a no go with school schedules. We are now scheduled for a 4 night cruise on the Dream sailing out of Miami. We've been on the Dream before and loved it, but I was looking forward to experiencing a new to us ship.

We will be driving to Florida on Sunday, June 12. We will be staying in the Port Canaveral area as we plan to visit the Kennedy Space Center on Monday, June 13.

We will then drive to Miami on Tuesday, June 13. I am currently booked at the Holiday Inn near Port Miami, but I am open to other suggestions if anyone has them. We will have most of the day Tuesday and all day Wednesday in Miami before starting the cruise on Thursday, June 16. I am also open to suggestions for things to do in Miami on those two day. We may check out Zoo Miami, but nothing is definite yet.

We will be heading back to the Disney/Universal area after the cruise on Monday, June 20. We were originally going to stay in a Disney Springs hotel, but then I decided to surprise the kids with a deluxe resort stay for a few days since we would be able to fully enjoy the resort amenities since we won't be visiting any parks. We have talked about what resorts everyone wants to stay in, and the only one that always ends up on everyone's list is Animal Kingdom Lodge. I originally booked a one bedroom savanna view room at Kidani Village through Disney, but then I decided to check out DVC Rental Store and was able to rent points for a 2 bedroom savanna view room at Kidani for a few hundred dollars cheaper than what I was going to pay Disney for a 1 bedroom! Brian and I have decided to not tell the kids where we are staying until we are pulling up to the resort! We'll see if I am able to keep it a secret for that long! (I have my doubts!!) We plan to hit City Walk one afternoon and Disney Springs. And I want to visit All Star Movies to re-create some photos we have of the kids on their first trips. Otherwise, we will just relax at AKL and enjoy the room and the pool.

And I know all of that was really boring, so a few more photos of what we have been up to lately!

Logan was on the winning team for Canoe Battleship! (they were in canoes in the pool and threw buckets of water at the other teams and the last canoe floating won!)
268044969_3234983670069004_7252616925771568584_n.jpg

Lily was inducted into the National Honor Society.
IMG_5047.JPG

Owen finished his fall soccer season and has started indoor soccer.
IMG_5041.JPG

And Brian and I recently celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary. Here we are way back in 1998.
1998.jpg

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Single digit day until we leave for Florida!! And 13 days until the cruise!

I got part of Brian's Father's Day present in the mail today. It happens to fall during the cruise.
20220603_154847.jpg

And I gathered our passports and vaccine cards so they don't get forgotten!
20220603_153427.jpg

20220603_153437.jpg

I got a bag I can lock onto a chair at Atlantis since we'll have to have our passports and a credit card with us, as well as at least one phone and my camera. Now I just have to figure out how to set the combination for it!
20220603_153532.jpg

Does anyone know if they still have the 50th Coke bottles for each park? And if you can buy them at DS or the resorts?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Single digit day until we leave for Florida!! And 13 days until the cruise!

I got part of Brian's Father's Day present in the mail today. It happens to fall during the cruise.
View attachment 643307

And I gathered our passports and vaccine cards so they don't get forgotten!
View attachment 643308
View attachment 643309

I got a bag I can lock onto a chair at Atlantis since we'll have to have our passports and a credit card with us, as well as at least one phone and my camera. Now I just have to figure out how to set the combination for it!
View attachment 643310

Does anyone know if they still have the 50th Coke bottles for each park? And if you can buy them at DS or the resorts?
They still have them at the parks as of last week. Not sure about DS or resorts.

LisaBelle

I’m so happy that you are finally getting to go on the graduation cruise! It sounds like it will be such a fun trip! I love reading cruise TRs because I’ve never been on one. I am still hoping to talk at least one person in my family into taking a Disney cruise! Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing. You will love your time there. Safe travels! Have a ball! Can’t wait to read all about it!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I’m so happy that you are finally getting to go on the graduation cruise! It sounds like it will be such a fun trip! I love reading cruise TRs because I’ve never been on one. I am still hoping to talk at least one person in my family into taking a Disney cruise! Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing. You will love your time there. Safe travels! Have a ball! Can’t wait to read all about it!
Thanks! Unfortunately, we're still not guaranteed to get on the cruise. Still have to test negative two days before, so we're being extra cautious this week and keeping our fingers crossed.
Love Dad's shirt!!!
Thanks! He'll probably only wear it to sleep in, but I thought it was cute and felt like I needed to have something to give him while we are on the cruise as I already bought him a new bike so he can ride with Logan as the main part of his gift.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Screenshot_20220607-192004_Disney Cruise Line Navigator.jpg

It's getting so close! And we got this email today, so all that is left is to have negative tests a week from today!
Screenshot_20220607-190922_Email.jpg

Our itinerary:
Sunday, June 12 - leave our house by 1-1:30am for the 15 hour drive to Port Canaveral. We are staying at a Home2 Suites near Kennedy Space Center. Depending on what time we arrive, we may check out Cocoa Beach or we may go to the Banana River manatee sanctuary park

Monday, June 13 - spend the day at Kennedy Space Center. They are open 9-5 and I anticipate that we will be there most of the day. We may explore Cocoa Beach depending on when we are done

Tuesday, June 14 - we have Covid tests scheduled starting at 9:30 at a Walgreen's near our hotel. Then we make the 3.5 hour drive to Miami and hopefully get our test results before we get there (they are supposed to take 2 hours or less). We will likely explore Miami Beach that afternoon and evening. We check in to the Holiday Inn right by the port this afternoon

Wednesday, June 15 - we are going to Zoo Miami this day. They open at 10 and we will spend however much time we need to there. We should get a discount on tickets by using reciprocity with our Cincinnati Zoo annual membership. Brian wants to check out Little Havana for dinner so he can have an authentic Cuban sandwich

Thursday, June 16 - we board the Dream!!! Our arrival time is 11:15-11:30 and we are in boarding group 4

Friday, June 17 - we are in Nassau and have booked the Atlantis excursion. The kids are so excited for this

Saturday, June 18 - Castaway Cay!!!! We have rented snorkel equipment and Brian and the kids are going to parasail. I went with Logan last time and don't feel I need to spend the money to go again, so I'll take my book and read on the beach or just take pics of the island all by myself! So looking forward to the banana soft serve. Fingers crossed it is still there!

Sunday, June 18 - Father's Day! This is our at sea day and we have no specific plans

Monday, June 20 - debarkation day:( But, we get to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge!! But first we will make a stop at CityWalk to do a little shopping, then proceed to AKL. We have a 5:55 ADR at Sebastian's Bistro

Tuesday, June 21 - 11:40 lunch ADR at Whispering Canyon. Then we plan to hit Disney Springs. 7:35 dinner ADR at Narcoossee's that should line up nicely with the 9:20 MK fireworks

Wednesday, June 22 - 8:50 breakfast ADR at Boma and 5:25 dinner ADR at Trattoria al Forno. I suspect that we will hit the pool this day and do some resort hopping. Then we have the Starlight Safari scheduled at 10:00pm at AKL to go out on the savanna. I am so excited for this tour!!

Thursday, June 23 - time to head back home:(:(:(

And a pic of my lilies that are finally blooming to end this post:
20220607_181648.jpg

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Screenshot_20220608-172004_Disney Cruise Line Navigator.jpg

I was off today, so Brian and I have everything of ours packed that we can. The rest will have to be packed right before we leave. The kids are supposed to get their stuff out over the next two days while I am at work so I can help them finish on Saturday. We took the car in for an oil change and check up. And lots of laundry was done today!

Flik is still protesting!!
20220608_131534.jpg

erstwo

Your cat is adorable!

Keep an eye on the launch schedule for Cape Canaveral at nasa. gov - it looks like they are set to launch some satellites on 12 June - but if anything happens to the launch window (bad weather, etc) they might delay and launch while you are there! It's no space shuttle or Artemis, but it's still always impressive to see a launch!

ETA - excited to follow along!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Your cat is adorable!

Keep an eye on the launch schedule for Cape Canaveral at nasa. gov - it looks like they are set to launch some satellites on 12 June - but if anything happens to the launch window (bad weather, etc) they might delay and launch while you are there! It's no space shuttle or Artemis, but it's still always impressive to see a launch!

ETA - excited to follow along!
Thanks! I will definitely look before we go on Monday.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Screenshot_20220609-190001_Disney Cruise Line Navigator.jpg

We've been investigating the best route to get to Florida this trip since we aren't starting at Disney or Universal. Brian has decided that he doesn't want to go our usual route straight down 75 even though it is still the quickest route. He wants to avoid Atlanta, so we will take 75 down to Knoxville, then make our way over to 95 to head down the coast. It should only add 20-30 minutes to the trip.

Still protesting!
20220608_210350.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom