Let's talk baseball

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello fellow baseball fans. I thought it would be fun if we had a place here in Chit Chat to talk baseball during the season. A place where we could talk smack to rival fans before big series, a place where we could discuss Captain Melon Head’s pursuit of arguably the most hallowed record in all of American sport,
barry-bobble.gif

a place where we could complain about our teams’ managers, players, bullpen, third base coaches, unlucky breaks, a place where we could point out that if our team goes 47-3 over the last 50 games there is a still a chance they could make the playoffs via wild card, a place where we can vent with long editorials about why are they testing for steroids but not HGH or why does no one point the fingers at power pitchers still dominating in their mid 40’s against all odds or why does anyone care about steroids in the first place MLB had no rule in place, a place where we can talk about our teams last minute trades, etc (at this point I think you get the idea). BTW, I did do a thread search here in Chit Chat and saw nothing like this, so if a thread for this already exists I apologize.

GenerationX

Certified White Sox fanatic here. Lifelong fan who lives and dies with every game. The 2005 World Series was truly a dream realized.

SpongeScott

Hello fellow baseball fans. I thought it would be fun if we had a place here in Chit Chat to talk baseball during the season. A place where we could talk smack to rival fans before big series, a place where we could discuss Captain Melon Head’s pursuit of arguably the most hallowed record in all of American sport,
barry-bobble.gif

a place where we could complain about our teams’ managers, players, bullpen, third base coaches, unlucky breaks, a place where we could point out that if our team goes 47-3 over the last 50 games there is a still a chance they could make the playoffs via wild card, a place where we can vent with long editorials about why are they testing for steroids but not HGH or why does no one point the fingers at power pitchers still dominating in their mid 40’s against all odds or why does anyone care about steroids in the first place MLB had no rule in place, a place where we can talk about our teams last minute trades, etc (at this point I think you get the idea). BTW, I did do a thread search here in Chit Chat and saw nothing like this, so if a thread for this already exists I apologize.
Let me just say that some people's heads get bigger as they grow older. :lookaroun :wave: I've gone from wearing a size 7 1/2 hat size to a 7 7/8 in 12 years and I'm not taking any roids or HGH.

And if people want to single out Barry, test the entire league and you'll end up throwing half of them out. Sure, Barry is on something, but so is most of baseball.

dopey

Trash-talking baseball with a Cubs fan is like debating macroeconomics with an infant, beating up someone who's in a vegatative state or playing chess with a chicken. How do you win an argument with someone who's so happy being a loser? See you in Loserville this weekend. :kiss:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Born and raised Angels fan right here! :wave:

*Busts out the Rally Monkey*

I'm still scarred from all the Thundersticks a few years back.

Converted Rays fan, lifelong Twins fan, almost-lifelong Yankee fan, original Tiger fan.

I knew about the Rays and Yanks, but not about your other two loves. I consider the Twins my American League mistress. With two AL East and two AL central teams on your list are you conflicted a lot? I mean these teams play each other all the time.

Let me just say that some people's heads get bigger as they grow older. :lookaroun :wave: I've gone from wearing a size 7 1/2 hat size to a 7 7/8 in 12 years and I'm not taking any roids or HGH.

And if people want to single out Barry, test the entire league and you'll end up throwing half of them out. Sure, Barry is on something, but so is most of baseball.

I don't disagree with this. I wasn't sure if this thread would have any legs and I'm inherently a middle of the road kind of guy, so I tried to say a few things in the opening opus that were a bit controversial. I'm not sure if you're correct that half the league is on something, but I think that might the case. Here's something I really have wondered about the last couple of weeks - Do you get the impression that the overwhelming attitude about the Aaron's record being broken is indifference? I don't get the impression people are excited about it, but I don't think they are outraged either. Outside of ESPN does anyone care?

Trash-talking baseball with a Cubs fan is like debating macroeconomics with an infant, beating up someone who's in a vegatative state or playing chess with a chicken. How do you win an argument with someone who's so happy being a loser? See you in Loserville this weekend. :kiss:

Wow! Only five total posts and already two south-siders have joined the fray. I'm not at all happy being a loser and at different times in my life, I've tried to divorce myself from the Cubs, but I have always found it impossible to sever my attachment from any once I developed an emotional attachment. One thing to watch for this weekend - Cubs fans as a group seem edgier this year. I think Hendry's spending spree has raised expectations. I went to a game a few weeks ago and it was different than in the past. People were much quicker to boo and the whole crowd seemed more tense. BTW, I didn't know any south-siders were actually literate. Do you guys have a friend read and type your posts for you?

SpongeScott

I knew about the Rays and Yanks, but not about your other two loves. I consider the Twins my American League mistress. With two AL East and two AL central teams on your list are you conflicted a lot? I mean these teams play each other all the time.

I don't disagree with this. I wasn't sure if this thread would have any legs and I'm inherently a middle of the road kind of guy, so I tried to say a few things in the opening opus that were a bit controversial. I'm not sure if you're correct that half the league is on something, but I think that might the case. Here's something I really have wondered about the last couple of weeks - Do you get the impression that the overwhelming attitude about the Aaron's record being broken is indifference? I don't get the impression people are excited about it, but I don't think they are outraged either. Outside of ESPN does anyone care?
My biggest conflicts with games comes when the Rays play the Yankees because those are the two I follow the most. I've always liked the Twins and probably always will. The Tigers I grew up with and remember them winning the 1968 World Series and I have all their baseball cards from that year.

As for Bonds, I think there is indifference, and that's a shame. Probably the most hallowed record in all of sports, and no one gives a care because Bonds is the one chasing it. Even if he was "clean", I think there would be the same attitude (though not as strong), just because he's such a jerk. ESPN is in a no-win situation here--they have to cover it and will catch grief if they don't.

k.hunter30

Certified White Sox fanatic here. Lifelong fan who lives and dies with every game. The 2005 World Series was truly a dream realized.
:fork:
:fork: :fork:
At least they sell out their games and don't have to force people to buy more tickets than they might have originally wanted... :lookaroun

WDWFREAK53

I'll give you three guesses where my loyalty lies...and two of them don't count. :D

EDIT: Scott...Even though my loyalty lies to another team...I highly respect the DRays and wish them great success :wave:

(Although, if I see Raymond drive over Wally on a Quad again, we're gonna mingle!)

gotribe07

Converted Rays fan, lifelong Twins fan, almost-lifelong Yankee fan, original Tiger fan.

GO TRIBE!

We just swept your Twins back to Minnesota and are now 5-0 against "the defending central division champs" :lol:

1st place in the Central sounds pretty good to me right now... this will be a fun summer

SpongeScott

GO TRIBE!

We just swept your Twins back to Minnesota and are now 5-0 against "the defending central division champs" :lol:

1st place in the Central sounds pretty good to me right now... this will be a fun summer
I went to a Rays-Indians exhibition game this spring and sat next to a guy from Ohio. As we talked about teams, I told him this could be Cleveland's year in the AL Central. The Twins, Tigers, and Sox have all had their turns, so why not Cleveland? They've certainly got the personnel.

I'm also not a fan that wears rose-colored glasses. I'll admit when there's another team that is head and shoulders above my faves (that's everyone with Tampa). Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit certainly look to be the elite of the AL this season, especially Boston.

dopey

BTW, I didn't know any south-siders were actually literate. Do you guys have a friend read and type your posts for you?

:lol: Yeah, I live in the basement of my mother's bungalow and she helps me with things like reading, fixing my mullet and new tattoos. I'm watching the game now and expecting the classic Cubs collapse any second now.

:fork:

:fork: :fork:
At least they sell out their games and don't have to force people to buy more tickets than they might have originally wanted... :lookaroun

Because South Siders have higher standards. We won't go see our team when it's not competitive. North Siders would go to Wrigley even if the Cubs were getting beat by Jerry's kids.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Cubs fan here.

So how long do you think JJ Hardy's hot streak will last?

He's a good player. I think he'll hit 300 or better for the year. He's one of those poor guys that's been a bit injury prone if my memory is correct.

dopey said:
I'm watching the game now and expecting the classic Cubs collapse any second now.

Well, I listened to innings 6-9 on my commute home and it sounded like the team from the South Side collapsed. Not all good news for the Cubs though. I'm starting to get really paranoid about D. Lee. The Cubs pattern with injuries the last 2-3 seasons has been this -1) Say its nothing. The player will miss one or two games. A week later...2)Put the guy on the 15-DL. Claim he'll be back on the roster as soon as possible....3)Put the guy on the 15-DL again and step 4) announce that the player's season is over and he will likely miss the start of next season due to the titanium spine and prosthetic arm that arm that are being installed.

bsandersjr

OMG YES!!

Another Indians fan!!

Who are you related to on the Indians? I see you're from Louisianna... is it Kelly Shopach? Cliff Lee?

Byrd is my cousin's husband. Not really blood related, just through marriage.
They usually visit during the offseason, and we get together and throw the ball around. Pretty fun, and cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom