Let the job hunt begin...

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, the wife and I had a serious sit-down last night and she gave me the nod to go ahead and start seriously hunting down a job in the greater Orlando area.

I've looked at the Sentinal's website for job's, but it looks like my best bet will be to just start sending out the resume and beating down some doors (via phone since I live in Michigan, lol)

Anyone down there locally know of any good places to start hunting down tech jobs in Orlando? Maybe I'll search out some recruiters.

Thanks!

careship

Good luck...my husband has been doing the same for three years. Many of the responses are negative because he would be relocating. He was told move down here then get a job. I thought that was idiotic. He has currently expanded his job hunting to anywhere within a more tolerable driving distance. this 18 hours (supposed to be 20 I think) is starting to take a toll on me. I hate it. Would rather drive then fly though.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
careship said:
Good luck...my husband has been doing the same for three years. Many of the responses are negative because he would be relocating. He was told move down here then get a job. I thought that was idiotic. He has currently expanded his job hunting to anywhere within a more tolerable driving distance. this 18 hours (supposed to be 20 I think) is starting to take a toll on me. I hate it. Would rather drive then fly though.

Yeah, really my thing is I am hoping someone will respond and we can discuss how I can telecommute until I get relocated. That is one good thing about my job. Just give me some high-speed access and I can work from a bathroom if I have too, lol...

Honestly, in today's economy who can afford to move first...I won't even ask for relocation money, but I have to know I have a job to do when I get there.

MichRX7 said:
Yeah, really my thing is I am hoping someone will respond and we can discuss how I can telecommute until I get relocated. That is one good thing about my job. Just give me some high-speed access and I can work from a bathroom if I have too, lol...

Honestly, in today's economy who can afford to move first...I won't even ask for relocation money, but I have to know I have a job to do when I get there.

Good luck, but the fact is, you will either need a recruiter or someone willing to let you use an Orlando address. I have been tech job searching, off and on, for about 2 years now with only a couple of responses. Recently, my current company set me up with a cool international assignment which I can't pass up. Otherwise I would be still searching. In reality you will either have to take your chances and make a move or be very patient. Also, a lot of the jobs are military/defense contractors, so you need clearance for consideration and will be subject to no job security whatsoever.

BTW are you on the SRT forums?

Best of luck. I may be trying to get a Florida job once my new job assignment is over. So I may keep in touch and follow your progress.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
monorailmike said:
Good luck, but the fact is, you will either need a recruiter or someone willing to let you use an Orlando address. I have been tech job searching, off and on, for about 2 years now with only a couple of responses. Recently, my current company set me up with a cool international assignment which I can't pass up. Otherwise I would be still searching. In reality you will either have to take your chances and make a move or be very patient. Also, a lot of the jobs are military/defense contractors, so you need clearance for consideration and will be subject to no job security whatsoever.

BTW are you on the SRT forums?

Best of luck. I may be trying to get a Florida job once my new job assignment is over. So I may keep in touch and follow your progress.

Well, keep an eye out for me then. I'm not on the SRT forums. I doubt I'd be very popular over there, lol...

I'll make sure I keep the forum updated when/how I landed my job. My problem right now is I'm stuck driving back and forth from work in Ann Arbor to the International Airstream Rally in Lansing every day so I can't access my home computer to send anyone my resume. So really I guess the actual pounding pavement and beating down doors starts on Tuesday of next week.

The family is really "warming up" to the idea of living in the Clermont/Davenport area. So we'll see what happens.

KevinPage

Not to barge in on this "Michagan" forum, but there is talk of NASA building a facility in East Orlando, b/w the airport and University of Central Florida. But it seems to be a few years off as they are still trying to get the connecting road built, which the news says will bring alot of tech jobs to Orlando (not something Orlando is known for). Otherwise NASA is over in Titusville, FL on the east coast.

I transfered with my company from NY to Florida (I do insurance claims). From everyone I know, they either transfered with their job or just packed up and left and found work down here. It would seem your strategy is the hardest avenue to go down.

Good luck :)

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I know it's a tough road. Hopefully my experience will help me break down some doors.

I can't just sell my house here, quit a good paying job, drag my wife and three kids to Orlando and pray I find work in a reasonable amount of time.

If I could we'd have left already... :lol:

KevinPage

MichRX7 said:
Yeah, I know it's a tough road. Hopefully my experience will help me break down some doors.

I can't just sell my house here, quit a good paying job, drag my wife and three kids to Orlando and pray I find work in a reasonable amount of time.

If I could we'd have left already... :lol:

I agree, not something I could/would do myself. It will just take more leg work for you though. But if you want it bad enough it will be worth it :D

MichRX7 said:
Well, keep an eye out for me then. I'm not on the SRT forums. I doubt I'd be very popular over there, lol...

I'll make sure I keep the forum updated when/how I landed my job. My problem right now is I'm stuck driving back and forth from work in Ann Arbor to the International Airstream Rally in Lansing every day so I can't access my home computer to send anyone my resume. So really I guess the actual pounding pavement and beating down doors starts on Tuesday of next week.

The family is really "warming up" to the idea of living in the Clermont/Davenport area. So we'll see what happens.

I'll be sure to keep an eye open for you. The reason I asked about the forums, is there is an RX7 owner there with a similar avatar. Sorry to hear about the commute messing the job search up. On a positive note, I looked at careerbuilder and monster last night for kicks, and it looks like more jobs have been posted recently. Getting considered is the tough part.

That is a really nice area. It is growing and I have some friends that live there. I think you will like it. Reading a few other posts of yours, I think I am lucky to be in a position to be able to sell or rent my home and up and move. Good luck!

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
If someone stole pictures of my car I'm going to be ticked, lol...

Actually I have three of them. The one in my avatar is my baby (94), then I have a black convertible (91) and another silver one (79).

I'm expecting job hunting to pick up after the forth. Everyone (except me) is probably on vacation by now. Hopefully they post more openings when they get back.

I tried to tell the wife last night we could just drag the airstream down there until we find something. I shouldn't have done it while we were sitting in it and my two monsters were running back in forth bumping into our legs, hahaha.

I'm really feel like I'm at a major decision point in my life. I make decent money right now, and when the kids are in school and the wife goes back to work we'll actually be really comfortable. But, I'll probably never make more at this job than I am right now and it drives me insane to think I have no room for growth, etc...

Sometimes I think you have to take a major (calculated) chance to get more out of life.

Does R.O. stand for Royal Oak? If so you aren't very far away. Are you coming to the MI gathering at the zoo the end of this month? And hey, if you move down there too I'm sure we'll be the only two Mike's so I should be easy to find. :lookaroun

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Mich...

Wednesday Night Car Meets in Orlando, by UCF, hosted by orlandoforums.com

MichRX7 said:
If someone stole pictures of my car I'm going to be ticked, lol...

Actually I have three of them. The one in my avatar is my baby (94), then I have a black convertible (91) and another silver one (79).

I'm expecting job hunting to pick up after the forth. Everyone (except me) is probably on vacation by now. Hopefully they post more openings when they get back.

I tried to tell the wife last night we could just drag the airstream down there until we find something. I shouldn't have done it while we were sitting in it and my two monsters were running back in forth bumping into our legs, hahaha.

I'm really feel like I'm at a major decision point in my life. I make decent money right now, and when the kids are in school and the wife goes back to work we'll actually be really comfortable. But, I'll probably never make more at this job than I am right now and it drives me insane to think I have no room for growth, etc...

Sometimes I think you have to take a major (calculated) chance to get more out of life.

Does R.O. stand for Royal Oak? If so you aren't very far away. Are you coming to the MI gathering at the zoo the end of this month? And hey, if you move down there too I'm sure we'll be the only two Mike's so I should be easy to find. :lookaroun

Not quite the same avatar, but very close. I am on the SRT forums because I have a SRT-4. It is fun to open it up when space and saftey allows. What kind of job are you looking for? I am looking for a software engineering type job or something that will allow me to transition back into electrical engineering; which I haven't done in years since my internship. I am sure the job hunt should pick up for you.

I am/was in the same position, as you, in my career. I make a nice living, but I was going nowhere in my current position and was ready to get out. I was offered a position in Mexico for 3 years, which I would be crazy to pass up. As you put it, "taking a chance to get more out of life." We will see what I do once I get back in 3 years. I will be in the position to up and move to Florida if that is what I desire.

Yes, R.O. is indeed Royal Oak. I am not sure if I will make the meet, as I will be under the gun to make the move to Mexico. I will try. I would be wearing a CM name tag that a friend got me years ago. See you around.

Mike

mkt

Premium Member
hey.. I like SRT4's. I was considering getting a skittle until I got my insurance quote. All of a sudden, it dropped on my affordability list.

mkt said:
hey.. I like SRT4's. I was considering getting a skittle until I got my insurance quote. All of a sudden, it dropped on my affordability list.

Bummer.... There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the quotes. I see people younger than me on the forums getting quotes matching what I pay for. And this is with the wheels in my mom's name as a low milage recreation vehicle and all that. Maybe a state to state thing. I was just in the area from the 24 through 28 and only saw one SRT-4 in that time. I was hoping to meet up with some fellow owners. It was odd because I see them all over the place back in Michigan. Later!

mkt

Premium Member
Orlando has a few skittles around here... and a decent market for a domestic made force fed 4 banger. I drove my friend Walt's a few months back (posts as xkmfdmx7 on srtforums I think), and I couldn't believe how torquey that little beast is

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Man, finally got home to my resume...just got done emailing out about 75 copies...now I'm beat, lol

KevinPage

MichRX7 said:
Man, finally got home to my resume...just got done emailing out about 75 copies...now I'm beat, lol

Wow, that's alot of potential leads. I wish I had 75 companies to send my resume to when looking for a job :D

P.S. - Sorry I had to run the other ay on AOL IM

speck76

KevinPage said:
Not to barge in on this "Michagan" forum, but there is talk of NASA building a facility in East Orlando, b/w the airport and University of Central Florida. But it seems to be a few years off as they are still trying to get the connecting road built, which the news says will bring alot of tech jobs to Orlando (not something Orlando is known for). Otherwise NASA is over in Titusville, FL on the east coast.

Good luck :)

I thought I had read this is going to be a HR center for NASA, not a tech center.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Update!

Well, I am hitting most of the same walls other people have. No one wants to hire you until you are living in Orlando.

But...my current company has offered to let me work on a contract basis per project, and I have been contacted by two Orlando companies that are willing to do the same thing. This is a good thing since my wife has been going insane the last few years not working raising our two youngest boys. While the older of the two starts school this fall, she'd like to go back to work. If I can get enough contract work to keep me running until my youngest starts school we'd be doing great.

Now to find out how much my house is going to sell for up here... :lol:

BTW, many thanks to all of those in Orlando who have responded and offered advice, help, etc... I'll have to meet all of you when/if we make it down. Wife's biggest concern besides money is the summer-time heat/humidity. I'd almost rather come down in October, but I want to get the kids in one school and be done with it.

KevinPage

MichRX7 said:
Wife's biggest concern besides money is the summer-time heat/humidity. I'd almost rather come down in October, but I want to get the kids in one school and be done with it.

My wife gets annoyed at the heat. But it was gotten better over the years. you get used to it. And all of a sudden 90 degrees with 100% humidity at 7am in the morning seems like old hat.

The winter here is amazing. Perfect, gets cold a few days, but that's it. My wife does miss the coldness of the "Fall season". Neither of us miss the brutal winters.

It is weird thought that some days in December, we'll be at the parks at night and we'll be sweating our butts off :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom