Trip Report Lessons in Geography

We've been back for about a month now, and I got my pictures all sorted, and I don't have daily rehearsals or performances now, so I guess this is the time to start my trip report.
I never finished the one from 2016, but I took notes this time, which should make it a bit easier, but it's still a 3 and a half week trip, so there's a LOT to cover.

The basic details:
July 20th-August 3rd at Disney with my four: Myself, my husband M, my Daughter E (13) and my son A (11)
My brother's family joined us for the first week: My brother J, his husband also J, and their daughter N (6).
My cousins met up with us the first day, and we all had dinner together....I believe there were 20 of us in total.
August 4th-6th was just whatever we wanted to do.
August 7th-11th at Universal Orlando
August 12th- Flying home

We stayed at Caribbean Beach resort for the Disney portion of the trip, and at Royal Pacific (Universal's version of the Poly) for the Universal part. In between we were at the Doubletree at Seaworld, and for the last night before we flew out, we were at Allure resort.

Here's my 4, my brother's 3, and 3 of the cousins' group.
Adults left to right:
My brother-in-law J,my brother J, me, my cousin's boyfriend K, my cousin C, my husband M.
Kids:
My niece N (6), My cousin's daughter L (8...yes, she's tiny), my son A (11) and my daughter E (13)

479278858.jpeg

Got all that? Good! Let's go!

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

This is going to sound so silly, but I'm getting Disney memory smell-o-vision as I'm reading your report...in the best way! From your meals at Biergarten and WCC, your rides on POTC and SDMT, to even the boat at dusk...it's triggering all kinds of happy smell memories. Love the Carrots :) Awesome ears for it too! Sorry about your experience on SDMT. Hubby and I let the kids ride twice and we skipped it on our last visit. That one kills my hips! I've also been there with the phone battery bank as well. I'm seriously considering investing in a Fuel Rod on our next visit so I can just keep swapping out power sources and never run out. Love the sunset/dusk pics of BLT and the Contemporary.

Songbird76

Original Poster
Wednesday, July 24th

Today was a HS day. A did Jedi training last time and loved it and was looking forward to doing it again. Last time we were there, Toy Story Land didn't exist. I had no idea how this would affect the Jedi Training sign up in the morning. I remember getting there early last time, before rope drop, and following all the people to get in line. I also remember waiting in a line to do sign up, and by the time we got up to the table, the only times left were in the afternoon. We argued about it because my husband told me just to sign him up for the 2:30 pm slot, which was right in the middle of the time I had set aside for an afternoon rest, and so far on that trip, we hadn't gotten a single rest period in because my husband wasn't following any sort of schedule. After that day, everyone was so tired and frazzled that DH finally gave in and agreed to do rest times in the afternoon and we were all much happier for it. So I tried to build in afternoon rest time this time as well, and I knew I didn't want to be standing in the sweltering July Florida heat, in the sun, to watch the show. And I didn't want A to be wearing a robe in that heat either. So I wanted to make sure we were there for rope drop. We got there at 8:30 for a 9:00 park opening. What I didn't know was that rope drop is now further into the park. Last time, we could not get to the Jedi sign up until actual rope drop. This time, that whole section was already open, so I was a bit panicked that there wouldn't be any spots left. I needn't have worried. Everyone was rushing to TSL, so there was no one in line for Jedi Training sign ups. We got right up to the table and got signed up for the first show of the day at 9:40. We had to check in at 9:10.
M had gone off to play Ingress while I took A to Jedi sign ups. M came back when he couldn't get beyond the ropes to do the things he needed to do in his game until they let people in to the rest of the park. But he left again at rope drop and said he'd try to make it back for the show, which he did. Here are the kids lining up.

67404395_561148064416936_2471545600567410688_n.jpg

The CM on the right there was from the Netherlands.
So this was where they kind of checked to make sure the kids could follow directions, understood what they were supposed to do, etc. And if you notice there's the little kid in the back row who isn't doing what all the other kids were doing. They asked if there were any siblings there and there were a couple, so they rearranged the kids so they were with their family. That little boy was with a cousin, and I think it must have been the cousin who wanted to do this and the cousin was several years older. So the mom of the little boy was insisting he had to do it. They asked questions about the movie and this mom was answering all of them and she was wound up tighter than a drum, obviously living vicariously through her little man. She wanted to be up there doing this experience, but couldn't, so she was forcing him to do it. He was totally not into it, and then he said he didn't want to do it and she got really forceful, telling him he had to, and look at your cousin...he's doing it. And they brought out the robes and were matching up kids and robes and the kid is refusing to put the robe on. They had made all the parents swear they would not do the button/snap at the neck, but this boy is crying and as soon as the mom gets one of the kid's arms in, and goes to put the other one in, he's shaken off the first one. And she and dad or whomever are struggling with the two of them to get this robe on the kid while he screams bloody murder. Mom tries coaxing, she tries threatening...the kid obviously doesn't want to do it. They get the robe mostly on, and she buttons the button at the neck, or tries to, but the kid is flailing. She finally gives up and as the rest of the kids are parading to the stage area, she's stomping along carrying the robe, stopping every few seconds to try to convince the boy to put the robe on and participate. And by "trying to convince" I mean she scolds, threatens, etc. Just give it up, lady...he doesn't want to do it. This is YOUR fantasy, not his! And he couldn't have been more than 4. I question whether he was actually old enough.

jedi1.JPG

If you've never seen this show, basically they teach the kids a sequence of moves as a group. Like, first step back, swing your light saber to the left, then to the right, then duck, then swing it overhead. They practice each step individually, then put them together. When it gets to the point in the show where they are needed to stop Darth Vader, or whomever it is (last time he fought one of the sisters?) they are called forward one by one to complete the sequence.
479843527.jpeg
479843652.jpeg

It was so funny. One of the kids couldn't remember the sequence, and the "instructor" is saying them, but I don't think the kid was listening...maybe it was stage fright, but it just looked like he was in la-la land. And the final blow is supposed to be the over the head swing of the light saber, and the kid is just standing there like "Oh, hi there, Darth" And this is how good these CMs are....he's commentating, telling them what move to make, when to duck, and while the kid just stands there, he says "That's good...make him wait for it." and everyone just giggles because it's so obvious the kid has no clue, but the CM just encourages him and makes all the kids feel like they are the chosen ones. So cool!

JJ didn't want to bother with Jedi training, so they were arriving later, in time for the first fastpass. I had made FPs for ToT, knowing A and I at least would NOT be doing that, and JJ had made a FP for N and my brother for the junior dance party, and ToT for my BIL together with E and M. The show was over around 10 I think? And then we had to walk over to ToT to meet J, who was supposedly there waiting for us. But we got there and couldn't find him. We looked around, sat and waited...he was afraid we wouldn't make it, so he went ahead and rode alone. So E and M went on while I got a Donut for A, and one for E and I to share once she was off the ride. And the CM at the fastpass checkpoint was from Laramie, Wyoming!! J said he noticed the name tag and was like "You are NOT from Laramie!" and she said she was and asked if that's where he was from and he said yes, he just bought a restaurant in the area, that he had bought the old Bear Tree, and she was so excited because she spent a lot of time at the bear tree! Then when E and M came off the ride, they were saying I'd never guess where the fastpass CM was from! Small world.

Done with ToT, we headed toward where we thought the Junior Dance party was, to meet up with J and N for our lunch ADR. We looked for signs, but couldn't find any, and we were trying to follow google maps, but it was only confusing us. But as we were walking we saw the Youtuber we had been looking for at Carrots the day before. When we had been looking for her, we had posted a comment on her latest video saying we were at carrots looking for her, and she wrote back that she wasn't working that day, but was in the park, so we should say hi if we saw her. While we were on the people mover, we were searching the crowd, but never found her. Now here we were in HS, and E says "Mom, isn't that Alice??" So we shouted to her...probably scared her to death, but she couldn't have been more sweet. (My cousin C made our shirts. Didn't she do an awesome job?)

67193271_2345424325552622_1884954394802257920_n.jpg

Yesterday, we had been wearing the Carrot ears. We were planning to give one pair to Alice because she works at the Carrots attraction...it just seemed fitting. But we didn't have them with us now because we didn't expect to find her here, and we were wearing different ears today. We hoped we'd find her some other time, and we started carrying the carrot ears with us, just in case. But for now, it was just a quick picture and then move on to find my brother and go to lunch.

We had an ADR for 50s Prime Time. A was a little apprehensive because he knows the theming and he's afraid of what they will do to him since he doesn't like veggies. I asked at check in if we could go light on theming for him.

Our Aunt Nicole would be serving us today. My brother really liked Aunt Nicole, who warned him about a particular drink he was looking at, which she said was pretty, but it didn't contain much happiness as he might like, whereas this other one was heavy on it. I had heard a lot about the Magical Star Cocktail and decided to try it. She warned me as well that it was light, which I said was perfect for me. If I drink 5 drinks in a year, it's a lot. I forgot to take a picture until it was half gone. Bonus: it came with a glowcube.
67307279_1272358719599299_6141647540715520000_n.jpg

I should have just ordered rootbeer. I really don't like alcohol much, and the drinks I do like, I like mostly because I can't taste the alcohol in them. This just wasn't my thing. But, A was eyeing the glowcube. "Mom, do you get to keep that glow cube? What are you going to do with it?" I was able to make his day by giving it to him.

I don't remember what everyone ordered, and I only took pictures of mine, because everyone else was sitting too far away. I think my brother got the stuffed pork chop, and I want to say M got the sampler. Pretty sure E ordered the fried chicken, and I think we asked Aunt Nicole if they had some fries for A, because they weren't on the menu, and she asked if he wanted chicken nuggets with them, which we declined because he won't eat Disney chicken nuggets anyway. I got the Chicken Pot pie, which was good, but I'm sorry, it has nothing on my BIL's homemade chicken pot pie, which he made for me after my dad's funeral.
67273019_2725250540837070_8674503073583857664_n.jpg

I also got a Peanut Butter and Jelly milkshake for dessert. So. Good.
I know at one point, my brother had his phone out for something and Aunt Nicole scolded him. "No walkie talkies at the table!" It was a fun meal, and Aunt Nicole was great. I vaguely remember her sitting down next to my brother because she wanted a break, and we told her she totally deserved a drink, but she thought that might be frowned upon. Other than that, I don't remember much about the jokes she made, but I remember we liked her sense of humor and she was great with A. I think she mentioned this being her Summer job when she wasn't teaching, so she may have some kids with Autism in her class, so I shouldn't be so surprised how she seemed to understand exactly what he needed. I was grateful.
Our bellies stuffed, we headed out....well....we headed to the door. POURING rain...buckets upon buckets.

Would we brave the downpour or choose to stay dry? Where would we go next?

Songbird76

Original Poster
This is going to sound so silly, but I'm getting Disney memory smell-o-vision as I'm reading your report...in the best way! From your meals at Biergarten and WCC, your rides on POTC and SDMT, to even the boat at dusk...it's triggering all kinds of happy smell memories. Love the Carrots :) Awesome ears for it too! Sorry about your experience on SDMT. Hubby and I let the kids ride twice and we skipped it on our last visit. That one kills my hips! I've also been there with the phone battery bank as well. I'm seriously considering investing in a Fuel Rod on our next visit so I can just keep swapping out power sources and never run out. Love the sunset/dusk pics of BLT and the Contemporary.
I'm glad if brings back good memories!
I thought about getting a fuel rod, but the power banks have more charge, and I know exactly what would happen if I got a fuel rod. My husband would still not charge the power banks, or would not bring them, and then one of the kids' phones would be running out of battery, and they'd use my fuel rod, and it would be empty when I needed it and we wouldn't be able to find an exchange point. Throughout almost the whole trip, it was my powerbank being used. I had one, my husband had 3, and mine was consistently the only one present and charged. And why would anyone else worry about bringing one, or keeping it charged when I always did? Just take mom's. So no fuel rod for me. I need the larger capacity power bank that can charge three or four devices before running out of juice. Plug it in each night and let it recharge so it's ready to go in the morning again.

Songbird76

Original Poster
Wednesday, July 24th, continued...

We left off with the pouring rain. People were crowded around the door so no one could get in or out. We pushed our way through, and E and N were playing in the rain, getting absolutely soaked. I had been waiting for A, who was in the bathroom, so JJ had waited outside under an umbrella that probably wasn't doing much to shield them from the rain. Guess where the other people under the umbrella were from? Apparently it was Wyoming day in HS!
I forgot to post the ToT picture.
479858706.jpeg

I don't remember if I had gotten a FP for M for RRC, or if he just did single rider line...probably the latter.
480042810.jpeg

The rest of us went to Muppets 3D, and the rain was already clearing up. After muppets, we headed toward Indiana Jones. It had just started, so we missed the selection of "Extras", and there weren't any seats left, so we stood in the back, but it was still cool. I thought N would love the special effects. She's pretty....what's the word...spunky? High strung? Well, she fell asleep...AFTER spending some time rooting for bugs in the plants behind us.
After the show, it was so hot and we had time before our fastpasses and there was nothing else we wanted to do at that moment, so we went and sat in the arcade. I went to the bathroom nearby and the line was out the door. As I got near the front, a woman came in from outside with her small child, whom she steered past the whole line of people waiting and into the first stall that opened. I had thought she just wanted to wash the kid's hands or I would have said something as she passed. I understand that when a kid says they have to go, they need to go NOW, but everyone else waited in line, including other children. It would be one thing to ask if anyone minded, and most people would be understanding if it's a little kid, but you don't get to just decide that you are more important than everyone else and they should all have to wait for you. I got really tired of this happening in Florida....it happened several times. It's still considered rude in the rest of the world, isn't it? Or did I miss a memo?
I did discover that the water fountain there actually had cold water, something that is uncommon at Disney.
My 4 had a FP for Slinky Dog Dash, but JJ couldn't get one at the same time. It was still so so hot, and A had decided he didn't want to do SDD...it went too high, and too fast. I had vowed not to do anymore roller coasters after SDMT. No one else was bothered....so we switched our SDD fastpass for Muppet 3D, since that was unlikely to take a FP from someone who really wanted it. You don't need one for that. M took A to meet Kylo Ren, Chewie, etc while E and I waited outside in the shade.

480161957.jpeg

Candid shots are almost always better with A:
480174925.jpeg

Because if you ask him to smile, this is most likely the face you will get:
480174938.jpeg
480177355.jpeg

Then we did voyage of the Little Mermaid because there was no wait and it was just about to start, and then we were right on time for our fastpass for the Frozen Sing-Along. Yay for Ben as Eric!!! I was soooo happy! I took several videos, but no photos.

It was raining again. We had split up because JJ had different fastpasses. They were already in TSL, so we headed that way and got a return time for TSMM, which A loves. While we waited, I had been dying to try the Totchos at Woody's lunchbox, so I got that, E got a lunchbox tart, and I got an Adult Cherry Lemonade. It would have been great, if it weren't for the alcohol. I loved the Totchos, though.
67471975_1209332549227439_4732401580429541376_n.jpg

JJ were doing A.S.S. and SDD. N did not like SDD, but JJ took her to get a treat afterwards, and she was telling the CM about how she did not like that ride, and the CM told her that since she was sooooo brave to go on it, she could pick out any ice cream she wanted for free, so she was well rewarded. My brother has never met alcohol he didn't like, so I gave him the cherry lemonade once we met up. Then it was time for the DAS pass TSMM, so JJ went together, E took N, A wanted to go with daddy. I didn't got a friend in anyone this day. Probably best, since I am really bad at those shooting rides. At least this way, I won.

I remembered there being a camera shop in Hollywood Studios and I had asked a CM where I might get my camera looked at, and we had been told at Jedi training that we could select our pictures at Sid's at the front of the park in the photo store. So I thought that might be it, but I walked up and down the street by the entrance, and asked directions from 3 CMs and never found anywhere called Sid's. One of the CMs said it had Christmas lights outside, but the only place with that was not named Sid's. I went to guest relations and they told me there was nowhere in Disney where I could get my camera looked at, but I might be able to Uber off property to find a camera shop. Everyone else had already headed back to the resort and I had stayed behind to look for the camera shop. Since I was by myself, I thought I'd try to knock off one of my bucket list items with the carrot cake cookie. Trolley Car Cafe was PACKED, and I was tired, so I gave up and just decided to go back to the resort. I got to the bus stop and there were some people stopped halfway through where the line is supposed to be, but there was no one else in line. They had just started the line halfway back because they had an ECV. So I passed them, and only then did the other people realize they didn't have to wait behind the couple with the ECV. I had thought they were all together, but I guess they just stopped behind the ECV, not understanding that those people had to be on the other side for the ramp.

When I got back, the kids decided to go swimming, and I went and did some laundry and read my book. Nice relaxing evening, though I panicked a little because I didn't realize the kids were going to the main pool with my brother. My brother had been at the small pool with the laundry room every night, and now that I needed to do laundry, he went to the big pool. So my kids never showed up and I had to go searching for them, and couldn't find them in the big pool because they were in the kiddie pool with N. We got back to the room and M was already sound asleep.

And so ended that day...we never even went and got dinner. We were all just too shot.

Coming up: It's BIL's birthday!!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The photos of your son with the Star Wars characters were fun! He really looked happy, and it seemed like he fit right in with them. :)

Songbird76

Original Poster
Thursday, July 25th

It's J's birthday!! I had offered to take N with us for the evening so JJ could have a date night for J's birthday, and I wasn't entirely sure what they had planned, but N is a water baby, so since we had already visited all the parks, I planned this day as a waterpark day. With somewhat later opening times than the regular parks, this meant we could take our time in the morning, too. We got up and got breakfast at Old Port Royale and we were soon joined by JJ and N. It was raining...a lot. I knew that if there was lightning, they'd close the waterparks down, but so far it was just grey and dreary, but not cold, and why go to a waterpark if you don't intend to get wet? The rain wasn't going to interfere in our plans!

We got to Blizzard Beach a little before rope drop. There was a woman outside the shop with bubbles and N and E stopped to play with the bubbles on our way in. (The CM in the pictures is not the one who was doing the bubbles. She stood off to the side and let me take pictures)
67403233_2386012351723147_7653184258894200832_n.jpg
67648073_463729231114214_6165362911309987840_n.jpg

We dragged the girls away and decided to look at the map to see where we wanted to look for a place to sit once we were allowed in. It was pretty dead, but the few people I saw were all headed to the right side of the pools, so I figured we should probably go left. I had asked the CM about the covered areas...what's free, what's not. She told me that if it wasn't chained off, it was free. This turned out not to be true. I was waiting at a rope to the path that would lead back to some covered areas that were not chained off, but another guest told me if we hadn't paid, we'd be kicked out. I asked another CM and he pointed out the areas that were free and confirmed that the guest was correct about the ones with the umbrellas. He couldn't tell me how much they cost, but said those seats were indeed an upcharge. So we lined up with the other guests at the other rope, still to the left of the park. There were about 10 people besides us there.

The rope dropped and we walked back to the back right by the bathrooms where there was a covered platform. I liked this spot because it was not in the sand. I HATE sand on my feet. I always wear slippers at home, my feet do not touch the floor. I don't like the feeling of sand, grass, dirt, concrete, etc. But even with slippers or sandals on, sand gets in if you walk through it, so I liked our concrete platform. Everyone else seemed to go for the ones in the sand, and a bunch of those areas were reserved, so we were happy to get the one at the back...and we liked the proximity to the bathrooms. We grabbed some towels, and everyone went their separate ways while I sat on a lounge chair and read. It was SOOOOO nice. Relaxing, peaceful, and just....nice downtime. From our little corner, I got to watch the lifeguard make several "rescues" of little kids coming off the slide that just weren't quite strong enough swimmers to get to the edge to get out.

After a while, I walked around the park. I guess I didn't take any pictures, which I find odd...probably because I didn't want to get my phone wet? But I waved to JJ, N, and E as they went by on the lazy river. N stuck to E like glue most of the trip, and E was a very good babysitter. JJ didn't have to worry about N, because if she started wandering too far, E reeled her in. I wasn't surprised to find them together on the lazy river. Then I passed M and A. I got into the lazy river with them, and we floated for a bit. We were all a bit hungry. I don't know where JJ and N got lunch, but I know at least E and I, and I THINK M also got hotdogs at Avalunch. E and I both got the Bacon mac 'n' cheese dog...A was upset they didn't have anything he wanted. He normally likes hotdogs, but food gives him anxiety and I think he was afraid the hotdogs would be different from what he is used to. I know we all offered him our chips, but he didn't want just chips, either. I don't think he ever actually ate anything. E went and got us Salted Caramel shakes from Lottawatta Lodge while I waited in line for mini donuts. I think donut girl may have charged me twice. There was only one other group in line for donuts when I got there, but it took forever, and they got their order and then realized it wasn't what they wanted....I don't know if it was their mistake or the CM's, but they were handing back the donuts because they wanted sugar on them. It was my turn, and I ordered, but the dipping sauce doesn't come with them...it's extra. But the donuts themselves are a snack credit. So I wanted to use snack credits for the donuts, but pay cash for the sauce. She got really confused, and I did scan my band and punch in my code, but then she said it wouldn't ring the sauce up separately, so I had to pay for the whole thing out of pocket...so I think she deducted snack credits AND I paid in cash, but E had been waiting forever with the melting milkshakes, and we had snack credits galore, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Again, everyone went their separate ways while I read a bit more, and then we decided to head back to the resort to get ready for dinner. JJ had asked me for suggestions on where to go for their date. I told them I thought Sanaa would be a good choice. They are not picky, and like to try new things, but Sanaa is also not usually booked solid, but has good food, and it's a nice ambiance, and is not as expensive as a signature. They managed to snag an ADR while we were still sitting at BB, which never got crowded. It was PERFECT. No one was there, because it was raining, but it wasn't cold at all, and there were no lines for anything. As long as there's no lightning, the water parks are a perfect option for a rainy day!

We did get confused with the buses heading back to the resort...each bus shelter serves more than one resort, and the buses post which resort they are going to, but there was already a bus for Coronado Springs at the next shelter over, when a bus for Coronado Springs pulled up into our stop. We asked if he was sure he had the right stop and he said he did. Eventually, a bus for Caribbean Beach came, and we made it back to the resort and got showered and changed.

I got a message asking if I was ready to accept delivery of some munchkinness, and we were, so JJ brought N up to our room.

JJ were off for a nice evening alone....they apparently didn't realize that Sanaa was not in the park, so they headed to AK and wandered around for a while...they had time before their ADR.
67147955_10156459080986616_8321093192871051264_o.jpg

They went to a bar...perhaps Nomad lounge? I'm pretty sure they did Navi River journey as they didn't have a fastpass for that one and wanted to do it. They said it was beautiful. The bartender was the one who let them know Sanaa was at the lodge. JJ posted pictures of the drinks, but I'm not sure if this was at Sanaa or at whatever bar they went to.
67225795_10156459082926616_8232454684313387008_o.jpg

They were given a window table, and he said the view was awesome. He said they ordered the bread service...I had recommended that, and that they ate so much of it, they hardly had room for their entrees, but it was all very good. One of them must have gotten the potjei inspired, and I'm not sure what the other thing is.

67580540_10156459083266616_8244601556201111552_o.jpg
67107485_10156459083071616_2901567956855029760_o.jpg

They actually managed to make it back to the resort before we did.

Coming up, our evening adventures.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I hate sand period. It gets into everything & you're still finding it a month later....
Yes!! I am so not a beach bunny. Give me a mountain with a lake at its foot and I find that beautiful. I don't want to swim in the lake...I just like the setting. But the beach...hot, sweltering and sticky so that sand sticks to everything and gets in every crevice. No, thank you!!

riverside

Premium Member
Yes!! I am so not a beach bunny. Give me a mountain with a lake at its foot and I find that beautiful. I don't want to swim in the lake...I just like the setting. But the beach...hot, sweltering and sticky so that sand sticks to everything and gets in every crevice. No, thank you!!
I'm not a mountain/woodsy person either but I totally agree with you on the sand!!

Songbird76

Original Poster
Thursday, July 25th, continued...

We left off with a rundown of JJ's evening. Now for our own adventure. I believe our ADR was for 6:35? Everything I ever read said that because Disney transportation isn't perfect, you should always allow an hour and a half to get to your destination. We left at 5:00...that gave us over an hour and a half, so even if things worked against us, we should be fine. "Should" being the operative word.

We left the room at 5:00, and our room was only a minute or two walk from the bus stop. We watched as the expected arrival time of the Epcot bus kept rolling back by a few minutes each time. We waited more than 40 minutes before an Epcot bus finally arrived. In hindsight, I should have taken an MK bus, or really ANY bus by that point and transfered, but we wanted to take the monorail, and I thought this was the best way. We got to Epcot and had to go through bag check to get onto the monorail. We got up to the monorail platform just in time for them to be closing all the gates and we had to wait for the next one. We had to wait another 15 minutes for the next monorail to the TTC, where we would have to transfer. I thought the monorail went directly from Epcot to the resorts. I was wrong. We finally got on the monorail, made it to the TTC, and just missed the resort loop monorail and had to wait again. We arrived for our 6:35 ADR at 6:50. And then we had to wait 25 minutes for a table. We were SO hungry by that time.

Because we were on the dining plan, our waiter offered us some special lemonade. E got the strawberry and I got the watermelon. SO. GOOD. We no more got our drinks ordered and Prince Charming came to say hello. He signed our autograph books, did photos with the kids....he was fine, but not very animated. He was pretty formal. And Cinderella was very quiet and didn't really make much conversation that I remember.

67341357_2287570084663246_7113400439944511488_n.jpg
67240109_2359131177636372_3877771284016267264_n.jpg

For those who didn't follow my pre-trip report, I made autograph books for the kids with pictures of them with characters from all our past Disney trips. Here is the post with pictures of said autograph books.

I got a message that my passport is done, (that was fast!) and we are going to pick it up on the 28th, because DS has a day off school that day. So, I got my resident card, will we will all have new passports, DH checked his drivers license to be sure. Yesterday was a good mail day:
View attachment 379529

Of course we don't get the bands until we arrive at CBR, because we are international. But the skins were so quick!! We ordered from magicyourband.com and got them 2 days after we ordered! I hadn't realized they are a UK based company. We had fun designing our own, and the bottom one was one of their designs that I threw in for my niece because she LOVES to swim.

Today, I picked up the autograph books I had made:

View attachment 379530View attachment 379531

All balances are now paid in full, passports are all renewed, autograph books, magic band skins, and most of the ears are complete. Fastpasses and ADRs are made. I still need to update some lists. I feel like I'm behind, or forgetting something....I feel completely unorganized, so I think this weekend is going to be checklist time. I'll make sure all our documents are in order and ready to go, lists are made, and I'll go through my stuff to pack to make sure I have it all.

Any suggestions on things to check?

Edited to add: Magical express reservations!! I NEED to make Magical express reservations! And a reservation for the minion breakfast at Universal.

Lady Tremain followed Prince Charming and Cinderella, and was telling E how things would be if she worked for her. "It would be fun if you worked for me. Well, it would be fun for me." And about how important she is. "I'm Lady Tremain, but you can call me 'Your Majesty'."

67415639_377308506274972_3182604855491428352_n.jpg

Anastasia got to our table and we had the books open to the page from our last trip where we had met her. "Don't I look adorable??" We told her she always looks adorable. "Did you miss me?" Yes, we came back just to see you!

67328759_2340626819544223_883218895815573504_n.jpg

Then it was Drisella's turn. "Oh, I look so beautiful!!" We told her that she looked way better than her sister. But she noticed something in her picture from our last visit:
DSCF5019.JPG

"Why is Prince Charming in my picture? Prince Charming! Why did you ruin my photo??" as she runs across the restaurant with the autograph book to scold Prince Charming. We were all laughing so hard. Then she came back and asked why N wasn't in the picture with us last time, and we explained that we were babysitting while her daddies celebrated a birthday and their anniversary. "Oh, I babysit my sister every day!"

67232784_2889336727748216_3828427452724543488_n.jpg
67149610_589095851618621_2542115035681914880_n.jpg

I love the interactions with the steps. Cinderella and the Prince are completely boring in comparison. Anastasia and Drisella were great last time, too. You'll notice E had on almost the exact same shirt in 2016...just a different color. She did this on purpose because last time Drisella commented on how the mice must have gotten to her clothing and chewed holes in the shoulders, and she blamed Cinderella for feeding them. (fun note: it was 3 years to the day from our first visit here. July 25th, 2016.)

It was really cold in the restaurant, and A was shivering. I gave him my stitch poncho to wear. He didn't find anything he wanted on the buffet, even dessert. N was downing strawberry soup like she was never going to get to eat again. E took her back for bowl after bowl. I enjoyed the prime rib and finally got to try Strawberry soup with gummy bears....YUM. I ate so much food. I don't think I even ate dessert because there was so much good food on the buffet. I got mac n cheese (I know, I know, but we can't get it here, so it's a treat I take advantage of when I'm stateside), mashed potatoes and gravy (another thing I miss from the US!), Zoodles, and I don't even know what all. (none of which I seem to have gotten a picture of. I'm so bad at that.)

A was getting antsy. He was STARVING, and he was tired, and he was about to go into full meltdown mode. He was desperate to get some fries somewhere, and the only place he knew that had fries was back at CBR, and that was a monorail or a boat and a bus ride away, and considering how long it took us to get here, he was worried he was never going to get to eat.
We came out of the restaurant, and there's a photo op. A was NOT in the mood for photos, but I didn't want to miss this opportunity with N, I wanted it to be a special memory for her, and it would only take a minute.

481094546.jpeg

N wasn't really feeling it either after a couple of photos.
481094581.jpeg

A and M had gone to sit in the lobby, just off the hallway, so we went and put our stuff down to go to the bathroom really quickly, and A burst into tears. He was so done, and even a stop in the bathroom felt like the worst possible thing to him. We tried to be fast, but he thought he was going to have to wait until we got to CBR to eat. I quickly looked up Gasperilla on my phone to see if they had fries. Thank God, they do. And I happened to have my resort mug with me, so he even got his rootbeer from the freestyle machines, since it wasn't listed on the menu. Crisis averted, we made our way down to the dock...we didn't want to do the monorail again that night. We got there just in time to watch mostof the fireworks before the boat came and we watched the rest on the boat to MK. We caught a bus back to CBR and all the kids zonked on the bus. I passed Her Munchkinness back off to her daddies, and we called it a night.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I'm not a mountain/woodsy person either but I totally agree with you on the sand!!
Ah, well, I grew up in Wyoming where the mountains are in spitting distance, and most people's summer vacations consist of camping trips. I can't count how many camping trips we made between girl scouts and family trips...I used to know how to set up a tent! We roughed it....outhouses or bushes rather than real toilets, sleeping bags and tents, rather than a camper, cooking over a fire that we built ourselves, roasting marshmallows and hotdogs on sticks we found in the woods and whittled to points. So while I wouldn't necessarily want to do that now, I do still love the serenity of the mountains. When I was in college, we would drive up to Lake Marie in the Snowies....we'd go to KFC for a bucket of chicken, or go to Mc Donalds for 59 cent hamburgers, and just go sit in peace and quiet. And the Collegiate Chorale would have a retreat in the snowies every year as a get-to-know-you for the new members, and a catch up for the rest, and we always closed by going outside and singing one piece that we knew well, where it echoed in the trees. The one I remember most was Sing Out My Soul. I am pretty sure it was a composition by our director's wife. But it was beautiful, and that one gave me chills to sing out in the great outdoors with the mountains as a backdrop.

MegRuss626

I got mac n cheese (I know, I know, but we can't get it here, so it's a treat I take advantage of when I'm stateside)

I live in the US and I still eat my body weight in Disney Mac n cheese when we go! It’s my favorite lol Chick Fil A just added it to their menu and it tastes just like Disney! 😍

MySmallWorldof4

We've been back for about a month now, and I got my pictures all sorted, and I don't have daily rehearsals or performances now, so I guess this is the time to start my trip report.
I never finished the one from 2016, but I took notes this time, which should make it a bit easier, but it's still a 3 and a half week trip, so there's a LOT to cover.

The basic details:
July 20th-August 3rd at Disney with my four: Myself, my husband M, my Daughter E (13) and my son A (11)
My brother's family joined us for the first week: My brother J, his husband also J, and their daughter N (6).
My cousins met up with us the first day, and we all had dinner together....I believe there were 20 of us in total.
August 4th-6th was just whatever we wanted to do.
August 7th-11th at Universal Orlando
August 12th- Flying home

We stayed at Caribbean Beach resort for the Disney portion of the trip, and at Royal Pacific (Universals version of the Poly) for the Universal part. In between we were at the Doubletree at Seaworld, and for the last night before we flew out, we were at Allure resort.

Here's my 4, my brother's 3, and 3 of the cousins' group.
Adults left to right:
My brother-in-law J,my brother J, me, my cousin's boyfriend K, my cousin C, my husband M.
Kids:
My niece N (6), My cousin's daughter L (8...yes, she's tiny), my son A (11) and my daughter E (13)

View attachment 409294

Got all that? Good! Let's go!
I had no idea you started this. Well, I am here now!🙂

MySmallWorldof4

Our story begins on the last day of school: Friday, July 19th, 2019. (sorry, this first bit will be text heavy) I didn't know this, but neither of my children actually had school this day. Because the Dutch are weird. My son finished 6th grade, and the only thing he had in the last week of school was "camp" and then he was free the rest of the week. My daughter only had to turn her books in and get her report card on the Tuesday, and then she was done as well. So we had everything packed up and we went to my in-laws' on Friday since they would be driving us to the airport at early o'clock Saturday morning.
We got up and got ready at 4:30, and planned to leave at 6:30. My brother-in-law would drive one car, and my parents-in-law the other. But my brother-in-law was late...he lives half a block away. Once he got there, we split up, boys in one car and girls in the other.
We got to the airport at about 8:15...we were cutting it close, since you are supposed to arrive 3 hours before for an international flight.
View attachment 409297

DH went to look for a luggage trolley and my son wasn't wanting to be in pictures.
Every time our flight has originated in Amsterdam, we've flown directly to the US, and we had to be in this one section of the airport to check in, and then immediately after security, there is a McDonalds. Our plan was to eat breakfast at that McDonalds before our flight.
This time, we were flying to Frankfort Germany first, and then going to the US. The check-in is on the other side of the terminal. Once we got to check in, we stood in line for quite a while, and there were several flights checking in. We saw one of E's classmates from elementary school on her way to Sudan (I think that's where they are from originally?) to visit their family back home.
It was finally our turn to check in and we spent ages and they couldn't get E's passport entered. It just wasn't working. They call over a supervisor and the supervisor tells my husband that he entered the number incorrectly on the ESTA form, because he put in zeros and it's supposed to be O. He tells her no, he looked it up and Dutch passports do not use the letter O. They do some searching and realize he's correct, and that THEY had entered it incorrectly and now it wouldn't let them redo it. It took forever for them to figure it out, but we were patient. Then at the check-in desk next to us, one of the supervisors starts swearing at the other employees...one of the flights checking in was leaving soon and anyone on that flight needed to be checked in immediately and they hadn't been sorting them out and sending them to the front. It was an issue, but he was very unprofessional swearing at people in front of all the people checking in, including small children. He was very demeaning. I was glad he wasn't the one doing our check-in!
I was told I had to check my carryon with all the ears we had made, because it was a full flight and there wasn't enough space. :(
We got our boarding passes and noticed we weren't all together for the flight from Frankfurt to MCO, so we went to the gate to ask if they could fix that. But they changed the gate, so then we went to the right gate, but they told us we had to do that in Frankfurt.

We were still sitting at the gate when our flight was supposed to be leaving. They hadn't even started boarding...this did not bode well for transfer times in Frankfurt. We ended up taking off an hour late, so we didn't have much time in Frankfurt. We had to get from terminal A to terminal Z, AND go through passport check again in the process. We follow the signs and go through passport check, we're in a hurry since we only have 30 minutes...A really needed to go to the bathroom and then they chose DH for extra security check, and he's told to wait for someone to come get him. I had to take the kids back out to get to the bathroom and when we came back, DH was gone and nowhere to be seen. I had no idea if he was still in security or if he had gone on without us, and our phones didn't work in Germany, so I had no way to call him to find out. With very little time left, I decided to just go to the gate and hope he made it there. He was there waiting for us when we got there, but there was no time to ask about switching seats as they were already boarding. We had 2 seats together with one behind that, and one on the other end and other side of the plane, and they had E sitting in that one seat. So she and I were going to switch seats so I was the one by myself. But they checked our passports and boarding passes again upon entering the plane, and so we had to switch our boarding passes back, and they sent me to the wrong side and I had to climb over people to get to the right place.

I approach "my" seat (glad we didn't send E there!!) and I have the window seat and the 2 people with the middle and aisle are already seated and NOT happy about having to move to let me into my seat. After much eye rolling and exaggerated sighing and some rude comments, they get out to let me through and I put the arm rests up to get to my seat. I sit down and I'm looking for my seatbelt, and the guy informs me that he is going to have to put the arm rest down. Well yes, I know that. He looks me up and down and asks if I will fit. Then he puts the arm rest just a couple of inches down and looks at me. He moves it a bit more and looks at me questioningly. He says he doesn't think it's going to fit. I'm not THAT big...yes, I know I'm fat, but seriously, I didn't even need a seatbelt extender. I shoved the armrest down all the way.

Just my luck, there is a screaming baby across the aisle from us, and the Judgy McJudgersons, or at least Mrs. Judgy McJudgerson is not happy about this, and complains for the whole 10 hour flight about EVERYTHING. The family with the screaming baby is Desi and has dietary restrictions, so they have ordered special meals, which are served before the rest of the meals. And Mrs McJudgerson does not like the smell of the food and is not afraid to show it. She makes quite the production of holding a stack of napkins over her nose, and alternately using the napkins to waft away the scent, while repeatedly saying "It's absolutely disgusting!" She had what I consider to be a New York accent. I kept thinking "I wonder if this is what a 'flid' is".

Then they go to serve the meal to the rest of the plane and before they even get to our row, she says to me in very slow English like I'm a moron "Do you want chicken or pasta?". Now, I don't know what kind of pasta it is or what is served with the chicken, so I really don't know, and I didn't know why she needed to know, but I thought it would be rude to tell her to mind her own business, so I said "I don't know. Probably pasta...we'll see." and as soon as the FA got to us, she orders for all three of us "We all want the pasta." and as I'm sitting in the window seat, I can't get the FA's attention to tell her I actually don't know, and she's already opened the meal for me and is passing it to me. It was awful and I wish I had gotten the chicken. Then they come to bring headphones. The FA is still 2 rows ahead of us, and Mrs. McJudgerson stands up and reaches over the people in front of us so she can get her headphones first. I think if I had been that FA, I'd have made her wait her turn. She got the last pair. They came around with more...it's not like she couldn't have waited for 30 seconds. Then the lady decides she wants to rest, so she mimes and says that she's going to rest and do I want to go to the bathroom before that? And the way she says it, very slowly, annunciating each syllable like I don't understand English, "I'm. go-ing. to. rest. Do you need the bathroom? Bathroom? I'm going to rest. You won't be able to get out. Bathroom??" So I get up and go to the bathroom and come back and they spend 3 minutes trying to figure out how to turn their lights off while leaving mine on and the woman insisting they ALL have to be off or she won't be able to rest. But her husband is next to me and insisting that I need to leave my light on, because I'm reading. The person in back of me had their window shade open, so I could see just fine, but she's insisting it needs to be dark and he's telling me I need to leave the light on because it's bad for my eyes to turn it off. She was just driving me nuts with her "But how am I going to rest??" so I told him to just leave it off. The poor baby kept screaming...he apparently had an ear infection, so he was uncomfortable. Mrs. McJudgerson made a point of telling everyone how disgusting it was that they brought a sick baby on vacation! And how annoying it was that he kept crying. Then they came around with snacks and again they were still several rows ahead of us and she's asking me "Do you want more food? Moooore. Foooood." I have no idea what it is, and I don't want her to order for me again, I want to be able to make a choice myself, and I didn't know why she was treating me like an imbecile, so I must have been looking at her like she had 3 heads because she looks at her husband and says "Will you tell her? Will you ask her?" When the FA got to our row, she looks at me to ask me what I want, and Mrs McJ doesn't wait her turn, just says what she wants before I can even open my mouth. Well ok then.
At some point toward the end of the flight, they decided to try to make conversation. DH had come back at some point to get one of the bags from the overhead compartment and was speaking English to me, and they had noticed that he was sitting pretty far away from me, and they were asking about my family. When they asked where we were from and I said the Netherlands, she points to the lady behind her and says "OH! She's from the Netherlands, too! Do you know her?" Yes....I know every single one of the 17 million people who live in the Netherlands. :rolleyes: "No, I'm afraid I don't." She asked about our trip, and have I been to Disneyworld before... yes, several times....and then she proceeds to the unsolicited advice portion of the conversation. Make sure you wear sunscreen! You have very light skin and you can burn in minutes in the Florida sun. "Yes, I have several bottles because I burn easily." And you'll need to drink lots of water, too, because it gets very hot. "Yes, I ordered 2 cases of water to be delivered to our resort." Make sure you do this, and make sure you see that, and bla bla bla.
And finally we got off the plane.

It's a VERY long walk to customs/passport check, and you get there and you are not allowed to use your phone or camera or any other device. So, I apologize, still no pictures.
There was an adorable boy in a buzz lightyear suit, though.
One nice thing is that we no longer have to fill in the customs form we used to have to do. So we got through and then we were told we couldn't take a luggage cart out of the baggage area. Why do they even have them if you can't use them? So we were able to send the bags up on a conveyor belt, and then we went in search of food because we were starving and the kids hadn't eaten the food on the plane. I knew @Tuvalu was leaving the day we were arriving, so I kept an eye out, but we never saw her. :( We grabbed some McDonalds food and A was eating and I was telling them about the McJudgersons when he stopped eating and started crying. Apparently the mention of the sick baby grossed him out and he couldn't eat anymore.
We went to pick up our luggage and dh went to find an ATM so we could rent a cart and A fell asleep on the floor. We got right on the magical express and soon we were on our way to CBR. A fell asleep in the bus right away. He was exhausted!
When we got to check in, I was hoping to get my requests. We had a preferred room, and I had requested a first floor room with an adjoining room with my brother's room. My brother's family had arrived in the morning, and they gave HIM a first floor room, and it did have an adjoining room next door, but we were given the room above him instead. So we had to drag all our luggage up and down the stairs, and I had to drag it up and down the stairs every time I did laundry, too. I had actually used Touring plans to figure out which room we wanted, and I made sure to request a specific room on the first floor that also had an adjoining room next door, but obviously that's not where we were placed. The person who checked my brother in commented on how lucky he was, that I knew what I was doing when I requested first floor in the building I chose. Yeah....so why did you give it to HIM and not to ME, the person who requested it? Oh well, he was happy, and that was the point of my planning. I wanted them to have a great time and maybe be willing to go again sometime.
I had ordered our magic bands, just the plain colored ones, when they had just come out with the special upgrades and there were problems with accessing the app to order. @Rista1313 had suggested using incognito mode as she heard people had success with that, and I was finally able to access it. But when we got our bands, they were just the grey ones, so apparently our order didn't go through. Good thing I had skins!

DH was in a mood by this time. He was being such a jerk I was hoping he wasn't going to be like that for the whole 3 and a half week trip. He was mad that I ordered so much water....he didn't think we needed it. I had ordered 2 packs of 32 bottles, figuring there were 4 of us and we were there for something like 25 days. When I told him that that wasn't even enough for each of us to have one bottle per day, he informed me that he wouldn't be drinking it, and how was I going to drink all that myself? Had I known no one would drink it but me, I'd have only ordered one. I went to discuss plans for the following morning with my brother and when I got back to our room 10 minutes later, DH was sound asleep and the lights were off, so there would be no discussing plans with him.

Would he be in a better mood the next day? Would everyone make it on time to the agreed upon meeting place? Would I have to throttle my entire group in frustration?
Your row-mates! Wow! 10 hours with them? How you held your composure was just amazing.

MySmallWorldof4

Sunday July 21st

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time adjusting to time differences. Even though the bed was super comfy (way better than my bed at home!) I couldn't stay asleep. I gave up at 4:00 am and decided just to go ahead and shower and start unpacking. Everyone else was sound asleep, so I had to be quiet, and I was missing a bunch of E's dresses. I did finally find them after everyone else was up. We had gotten sim cards for our phones so we could use them in the US, so M started trying to get them set up, but it wasn't working. It said to call this number and if the call went through, it was working, but he couldn't get it to connect. We were supposed to meet my brother's family at 7:30, so we gave up and decided to see how it went with wifi in the parks. Then we could use Facebook or whatsapp at least. We went down to my brother's room and knocked....no answer.

My brother is perpetually late. I'm one of those people who is always 10-15 minutes early, and he's always late. We had an ADR for the Bon Voyage Breakfast on the boardwalk, so we had to get to Epcot and take a boat. Fortunately, even though J was late, we managed to get there a bit early and got checked in. My niece N had WAY too much energy and was bouncing off the walls. My daughter was doing everything she could to entertain and reign in the little terror, but I have to admit I was glad when they called us in.

Our server was Patsy, and she was so sweet. She noticed J's birthday button right away and brought him a cupcake and as adult beverages are included in the meal, she also brought him a celebretory drink...I have no idea what it was.
View attachment 409576

They were so on the ball here! I was a bit worried with 2 different groups and A being really picky that it might get confusing, but they handled it so well. A got the pancakes, but without all the stuff on top....just some maple syrup.

View attachment 409578

N also got the pancakes, but she got the works. I don't seem to have a picture of them, but the main difference is a lot of fruit.

I believe everyone else got the Breakfast Royale, which was Steak, eggs florentine, and fried potatoes. That steak was SO good. The pastries were really good, too.View attachment 409579

For those of you who have never done this experience, the characters are introduced one at a time and do a bit of a dance through the dining room before going to tables, and of course, it can take a while before they get to your table, depending on which order they visit the tables in, etc. N was a bit upset that she didn't have any autographs yet, and Rapunzel was announced just before Flynn got to our table, so then he had to go do his thing with her before coming back. N was very disgruntled. E did her best to keep her contained.

View attachment 409594

Flynn told us that when Eric was introduced, we should call him a Pirate! N was totally on board. She's the only one who remembered. Eric was quite understandably shocked at this verbal abuse and responded by pointing out that Flynn was a thief. Flynn showed us his smolder before moving on.
View attachment 409582

View attachment 409595

When Rapunzel and Flynn did their entrance number, Rapunzel noticed E's hair. She was bounding as Rapunzel for the day. The Js got it all on video, but I can't post it on here. E got a LOT of compliments that day.
View attachment 409596View attachment 409597
I love E’s hair. Sooo pretty! Glad this was a great meal!

Songbird76

Original Poster
All this talk about mac 'n' cheese, I had to break into the stash we bought while we were "home." And since E is home sick from school today, it was the perfect opportunity to enjoy a treat. YUM!

Friday, July 26th

When we started planning for this trip, my brother had mentioned N LOVES animals, and he thought AK was going to be her favorite park. This was a bit of a problem for me since it is our LEAST favorite park, and we weren't really planning on spending much time there. But, I decided that since we had 2 weeks, and they only had one, I would plan 2 days for AK in that first week while they were there with us, and then we wouldn't have to go back once they left. When everything went South on our first AK day, we had gone to guest relations to try to recover the FoP fastpass since it was down during our fastpass time and we were going to be kicked out soon for the event and wouldn't get to make use of an any time FP. The CM gave us 2 options...an any time on Thursday, or on Friday. Since Thursday was J's birthday and we weren't going to be together the whole time, and I had Friday as our 2nd AK day anyway, we chose Friday.

A flat out refused to set foot in AK ever again. M didn't really care one way or the other. So we left them to sleep in and the rest of us went to AK.
First order of business: gifts for J's family. Since his mom and brother were keeping the restaurant going so he and my brother could come on this trip, he wanted to get them some thank you gifts. His brother is a huge Scar fan, and J wanted to get him a t-shirt with Scar on it. We went from shop to shop, but there weren't a lot of Adult t-shirts. I finally spotted one, so he bought that and then we split up for our fastpasses. E and I had a FP for Navi River which JJ had done the night before, and they didn't have a fastpass for this day, so they took N to the UP show. It was really hot, so E and I got some snacks in Pandora...E got a popsicle thing and I think I got some sort of Danish-like pastry. Then we went to Kali River...the wait time was pretty low because it was still early-ish. I had a garbage bag with me to put my backpack in. I remember in 2016, they actually handed out trash bags, but only 1 per family, and we had asked if we could get an extra because we had 4 backpacks and they told us no, because all the people behind us needed them too. I thought it was pretty ridiculous because some groups are pretty large, and how expensive is 1 trashbag?? So this time, I brought my own, which was good because they weren't giving them out anymore. We got SOAKED. We hit the first "drop" and I was in just the right position to get totally drenched. This made me happy!! Then we hit the next, and again I took the brunt of it. After that it was pretty evenly spread, though I think there was one woman who didn't get much, and she was happy about it. I WANTED to get soaked. JJ were headed our way to use their Kali FP, so we watched for them at the bridge. When they got to the entrance, I tried to run down the path to give them the trashbag and got yelled at by a CM who apparently thought I was trying to re-enter the ride through the exit. :rolleyes: Scared JJ half to death because I was trying to get their attention and they didn't hear me shouting their names, so I really had to SCREAM at them. 😄

Then E and I went back to the bridge and waited for them to come through the ride so we could spray them. I swear I took pictures of E spraying people, and of JJ when they came off the ride, but I can't find them. I had yelled "You're welcome!" when we sprayed them, but they didn't hear and had no idea that we were the ones spraying people. N thought that sounded like fun, so we showed her how she could make people wet.

68784527_512380556177873_3224657279718522880_n.jpg
69159932_2942362002504404_5630252102677692416_n.jpg

Our next FP was for the Safari and we were hoping to see the painted dogs we had missed the first time.

We saw more Giraffes...
68550566_529959144411778_7848953403731345408_n.jpg

And the lion, though this picture wasn't as good as my other one.
68600698_2328596194074259_4378966256330473472_n.jpg

The hippos! I was excited since we had missed them on the first safari.
68726829_427096708152426_6238249893597544448_n.jpg

Sweet success!! J got to see the dogs!
68972135_440334533227231_1883073151881969664_n.jpg

And here's what N thought:

68982374_2424780587564984_1142573760159678464_n.jpg

So much for AK being her favorite park. No, she really did like AK, but she said Epcot was her favorite. I just thought it was amusing...we're all excited by the animals, and there's N completely zonked out, the bumpy ride not bothering her at all. She must have been worn out.

Then it was on to Satuli Canteen for lunch, which I have been dying to try. Another place where I SWEAR I took pictures, but can't find...and maybe this next story is why? Maybe I forgot in the chaos.

We split up in the line so we could keep our dining credits separate. E and I both ordered the chicken and beef bowl with creamy herb dressing, and I want to say noodle base? And I meant to order the blue cheesecake, but forgot. I have no idea what JJ ordered, except that they ordered beer. E went to go find a seat with J and N while my brother and I got our food. We get to the table and as my brother is setting his tray down, J's beer topples over and spills all over the table and N. N is distraught, and there happened to be a CM right there who immediately started cleaning up and went and got J a new beer. So we were sopping up the mess, and another CM had seen J's birthday button and gave them 3 cupcakes...one for each of them, but then saw we joined them, so she went to get 2 more cupcakes for us....so sweet. But it's possible that between the beer spill, the clean up, and the cupcake confusion, I forgot to take a picture of the actual food? I DID however get a picture of E and N, though I don't remember why I took this picture. Something was going on, but I don't remember what.
68725724_521528515254130_2485232265475391488_n.jpg

I really liked my bowl....so good! E didn't like the chicken, so I ended up giving her my beef so she had SOMETHING to eat. I suddenly remembered I needed to try the blue dessert!! So I used mobile order for the first time. What a game changer that is!!! So fast and so easy! Everyone tried the cheesecake, but it was a bit....odd, and no one really needed it. N was downing all the cupcakes because we were all too full to eat them and she was eyeing them. JJ told her no, those were our cupcakes, and I told her that I had my blue cheesecake, and only if it was ok with her daddies, she could have my cupcake. They agreed that since they were on vacation and it was a special time, she could have the massive amount of sugar, just this once. I think she ended up eating like....3 or 4 cupcakes.

Since we were in Pandora already, we decided to use the any time fastpasses for FoP. The moment of truth.

68680485_481080952677104_7060240122188398592_n.jpg

And we made it!!!

Before I continue, somewhere along the line, I took this picture...I do not remember this. Oh wait....found the Kali River picture! Apparently my brother did not get too wet.
68364651_378140512899510_740265019651915776_n.jpg

Ok, so we got matched with our banshees and we went in to actually ride the ride. We all get seated and they are checking the restraints are locked...the CM is really trying hard to get my brother locked in. I had been worried about fitting in this ride, myself, but fortunately I had plenty of room. But the CM couldn't get the restraints to latch for my brother. He says it's because his legs were too long to slide up far enough, but I think he was just really embarrassed by having to exit without riding, because he's only 6'4" and I'm pretty sure @JenniferS said her husband has done this ride and he's like 6'8". This was the ONE thing my bro had on his must do list for this trip. I felt really bad for him, not only that he didn't get to do it, but that he had to be taken off in front of everyone, and I'm sure it was obvious to everyone why, and there were probably some stares.

It was too intense for me. I kept having to close my eyes so I didn't get sick, and I didn't realize how much the ride vehicle moves with you. This was SO much more intense than I was expecting. I had not expected it to feel like a roller coaster, but it was a one and done for me. And to be honest, I'm not sure my brother would have liked it as he is not a coaster person, either. The girls both wanted to go again, but the wait was something like 175 minutes and there was no way we were waiting for that!

As we exited, we found my brother, seething, on a bench just outside the ride room. He said we had to wait for a CM to scan our bands. Because he wasn't allowed to ride, they gave us all 2 any time fastpasses for any ride today. I wasn't going again, and I think J felt bad for my brother and opted to stay with him, but the girls were both raring to go. Knowing you have to be at least 14 to be in Disney without supervision, I wasn't sure they would let E take N, because E is only 13. So we told her if they asked, she's 14!! Throughout the whole line, N kept telling her "You need to tell them you're 14!! PLEASE say you're 14!" But no one asked and they had just as much fun the 2nd time. It was POURING rain outside, so I had gotten my poncho out and the guys were standing under what cover could be found, but once the girls got back, E and I left because we had very important dinner plans! JJ and N stayed in the park, but everything was closed because of the storm...we had been watching the lightning and knew they were going to close all the other stuff down, and we watched the standby time for FoP climb while the girls were inside. JJ had plans to go to RoL that night....none of us ever got to see it, because JJ went to Tusker House that night for dinner (which would mess up tomorrow's plans...more on that later) and had gotten sick and had to leave and spend the evening in their room.

What were our special dinner plans? You'll have to wait and see because real life awaits. I have to go adult.

MySmallWorldof4

Sunday, July 21st, continued

We left off at dinner at Biergarten. As you might have been able to tell by my cousins' shirts, our family is German, through and through. My mom's parents were both born in Germany and emigrated with their parents as children...I think. I won't bore you with the whole family history, but my mom's side is thoroughly German and I remember when B came to Europe on his honeymoon (he was married before, and the 2 boys are his from that marriage), he was not looking forward to food in Italy because he's not into pizza and pasta...he grew up on Bratworst. I remembered that from when we went to meet them in Amsterdam on their honeymoon...we had to find a restaurant that offered more things like schnitzel and potatoes rather than pasta, etc. (They traveled around all of Europe) So I booked Biergarten for this night knowing that if they were going to do a meal with us, this would be the place. Unfortunately, part of my son's autism is being overly sensitive, and it's REALLY loud in there, and he's particularly sensitive in his mouth, which means he's the pickiest eater I have ever seen...literally, I know of no other person anywhere nearly as picky. Most kids will at least eat mac and cheese, corndogs, a peanutbutter sandwhich, etc....but he won't. He's even extremely picky about chicken nuggets and fries. So when we went through the buffet and there was nothing he wanted to try, even the pretzel bread he ate last time, he was in tears. He was hungry, but there was nothing for him there, and it was loud and he was overly-stimulated and he just wanted to get out of there! He was melting down, so M took him someplace quiet where he could get fries. We had plans to watch Illuminations once we finished dinner, but A was just done for the day, so they went back to the resort.
The rest of the kids were getting restless as we finished up. They weren't interested in the German oompah music. They were climbing the walls.....literally.
View attachment 409992

We payed and went out to stake out a good view for the fireworks. The kids went and watched the miniature train and village for a bit, and ran around until the show started. When the show was over, they were headed back to their hotel. They were staying off property, and this was their last day in the parks. Most of them were headed home the next morning, so we had to say our goodbyes right there. Here's the group photo, minus M and A.View attachment 409993

And it looks like when P adjusted the lighting and cropped the picture, she cut out my cousin J. Here's the one from my camera...we asked a family near us to take the pictures, and mine is quite blurry.
View attachment 409994

So here's a picture I stole from P's facebook with their group in daylight.
View attachment 409995

So that's B in the back left, and his Fiancé P. Then M in the Tigger shirt with his arm around his stepdaughter A. Next to him in the black is K, which is C's boyfriend...I don't think they are engaged...and C in the grey shirt....she made the shirts. In front of her the shorter girl is M's daughter C...she's a little firecracker, but E told me she was so so sweet and polite when she asked E for help...I think she was scared to climb down from the railing at Biergarten and asked E for help. For comparison, M's daughter C is 6 I think? And C's daughter L standing next to her is 8...L is a little bit of a thing. She's involved in tumbling and in all the pictures on the winners stand, the other girls tower over her. Then in the back on the right are J and G, and in front of them are B's two boys from his previous marriage, E and C. I don't remember how old they are. I want to say L is the oldest grandchild, but I could be wrong.
We lingered with saying goodbye, not knowing when we'd get the chance to all be together again. J and G just moved to Tennessee for retirement, B and M live in Illinois, C and K live in Iowa, my brother's family in Wyoming, and us in the Netherlands. We may not ever all be together again. So we took our time enjoying the family reunion. J called his brother while we were waiting for illuminations so we could all talk to them. We actually talked to his wife...I don't think he can talk much anymore. He was in a serious mountain biking accident a year or so ago and broke his spine when he hit a rock, flew over his handlebars and hit his head on the way down. He's been in a rehab facility for spinal injuries in Denver and he can sort of stand on his own now, which they didn't think he would, but he still has issues, and I believe one of them is communication. But at least we got to sort of be together with the whole family and it was just really special.

The park was almost empty when we finally made our way to the exit. My brother must have taken this one:

View attachment 409996

We got to the bus stop just as the bus was pulling away. We had to wait quite a while...we saw bus after bus for Coronado Springs and the All Stars, and Pop Century before one finally came for CBR. The upside is that we got to sit because we were the first in line.

End of Day 1! Will I be able to sleep? Will everyone be on time tomorrow? What adventures await us the next day?
It was so awesome that you were able to have a family reunion, if only for a little bit. So sad to think that may never happen again. Hope that won’t be true.

Songbird76

Original Poster
It was so awesome that you were able to have a family reunion, if only for a little bit. So sad to think that may never happen again. Hope that won’t be true.
It would be awesome if we could all get together again. Not necessarily in Disney, but just somewhere. It's just hard because everyone is so spread out. My mom used to say that she felt like people left her out of the loop because she moved away. Everyone was in like a 10 mile radius in Illinois, but now no one is left there...well, B might be, but I think they were selling the house...I'm just not sure. But when I was growing up, we'd go to Illinois every other year or so, and we'd stay with family, and we'd visit everyone. There were so many cousins! But they've all passed away now, and their children have moved away, so now we're all spread out. Some in California, some in Arizona, some in Wyoming, some in Iowa, some in Tennessee, some in Wisconsin....and even the ones still in Illinois are mostly not in Dundee/Elgin anymore. It makes it harder to get together. I miss that, so it was really nice to have at least all of cousin J's kids there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom