Leave a Legacy Steals Souls!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Having just checked the rules of the board I am shocked to find that my style of posting has been banned and that only posts that are rich in technical detail, ooze with historical facts and that toe the line of the perceived orthodoxy of the Walt Disney Company will be tolerated and that a formal style of prose has been deemed as the only acceptable delivery mechanism.

Im assuming deciding what conforms to the above criteria has been removed from the shoulders of the boards mods as they are too lenient and this immense responsibility has been handed to the uber Disneyites, posters whos soul (sic) purpose in life is to follow the word of Walt and as such whose views and opinions are beyond contestation. Their knowledge of theme park operation, architecture, technical innovation, commercial acumen and future trends has been honed from many hours of intensive study, searching the t'internet day and night in fanatical research, dispensing with the need for formal academic accreditation. It is accepted that making lots of posts on the t'internet is equivalent of completing a BSc or a BA and as such validates that such posters posts are not just opinions they are FACT and in some states part of the law.

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave a moment ago, I still dont give a monkeys, even with the adjective removed.

jt04

Well... EPCOT is ever changing and I consider LaL to be part of that process. At first there was the three prong and flower entrance, now we have the LaL entrance. Eventually we'll have a new entrance and (hopefully) all will be well.

Since Innoventions is a cluster of things, maybe the tiles could be moved there. They could be displayed on a gigantic wall and you could use a computer to look up your picture. As you type in your info to find the picture, you could watch a mechanism scan the wall for your picture. Then Your picture would be displayed on the screen with all of your information. Maybe it could even be displayed on a huge screen for all to see.

Of course, thats JUST a thought. Don't take it too seriously.

That is an excellent idea. A laser pinging over the faces and simulating facial recognition technology until it "finds" the right face(s) and projects it on to a giant screen. Perfect for Innoventions! Just put the plaques on a single wall and put the names and locations in a database attached to the laser. Very very cool idea. It wouldn't even take a very big wall since the individual pictures are not that big. Then they could give Merf that job of removing the tombstones.

echoscot

Having just checked the rules of the board I am shocked to find that my style of posting has been banned and that only posts that are rich in technical detail, ooze with historical facts and that toe the line of the perceived orthodoxy of the Walt Disney Company will be tolerated and that a formal style of prose has been deemed as the only acceptable delivery mechanism.

Im assuming deciding what conforms to the above criteria has been removed from the shoulders of the boards mods as they are too lenient and this immense responsibility has been handed to the uber Disneyites, posters whos soul (sic) purpose in life is to follow the word of Walt and as such whose views and opinions are beyond contestation. Their knowledge of theme park operation, architecture, technical innovation, commercial acumen and future trends has been honed from many hours of intensive study, searching the t'internet day and night in fanatical research, dispensing with the need for formal academic accreditation. It is accepted that making lots of posts on the t'internet is equivalent of completing a BSc or a BA and as such validates that such posters posts are not just opinions they are FACT and in some states part of the law.

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave a moment ago, I still dont give a monkeys, even with the adjective removed.

Great literary styling A
Great Prose A
Excellent Discourse A
Knowledge of grammatical types B+ (that was a noun you removed, not an adjective)

Overall Grade A-

The moderators will put this outstanding achievement in your permanent record card. You may soon graduate [with honors, it wouldn't let me put the formal title]from the t'internet school of knowledge, truth and reliability.:sohappy:

jt04

Great literary styling A
Great Prose A
Excellent Discourse A
Knowledge of grammatical types B+ (that was a noun you removed, not an adjective)

Overall Grade A-

The moderators will put this outstanding achievement in your permanent record card. You may soon graduate [with honors, it wouldn't let me put the formal title]from the t'internet school of knowledge, truth and reliability.:sohappy:

Pumbas' mum edits his posts so I think you should reconsider.

Pumbas Nakasak

Great literary styling A
Great Prose A
Excellent Discourse A

Overall Grade A-

I would argue that in this case it is an adjective as it a modification of the monkeys state I'm inferring though I except that the word can be used as a noun. However on reflection it is probably more of an intransitive verb.

And 27 years ago I did indeed get a straight A for my Higher English studies as I finished High School. My mum is still better at spelling than me tis true, perhaps the old teaching methods of repetition do work?

Could always save your soul from the LAL stone demons in a spelling bee challenge?

jt04

I would argue that in this case it is an adjective as it a modification of the monkeys state I'm inferring though I except that the word can be used as a noun. However on reflection it is probably more of an intransitive verb.

And 27 years ago I did indeed get a straight A for my Higher English studies as I finished High School. My mum is still better at spelling than me tis true, perhaps the old teaching methods of repetition do work?

Could always save your soul from the LAL stone demons in a spelling bee challenge?

Stone Daemons :eek:

WDWFigment

I'm not going to sift through ten pages of a recycled argument, to see if this is directed at someone else, but I hope you didn't misconstrue my compliment of your (if you coined it) saying for an insult?

Pumbas Nakasak

I'm not going to sift through ten pages of a recycled argument, to see if this is directed at someone else, but I hope you didn't misconstrue my compliment of your (if you coined it) saying for an insult?

:eek::D

"I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave a moment ago" an archaic phrase used in parliament as a mechanism during question time for no other reason than history.

what I meant with the references to monkeys is open to debate as a quick Google will confirm.:lookaroun.

And of course Im joking, I try to avoid getting too serious about theme park debates and their influence on global peace and world economy. Unlike some I can think of, but this is no doubt the result of their failing to find a partner and the resultant back up of pressure. Perhaps this is where the monkey analogy would be useful :drevil::eek::D

TheBeatles

That is an excellent idea. A laser pinging over the faces and simulating facial recognition technology until it "finds" the right face(s) and projects it on to a giant screen. Perfect for Innoventions! Just put the plaques on a single wall and put the names and locations in a database attached to the laser. Very very cool idea. It wouldn't even take a very big wall since the individual pictures are not that big. Then they could give Merf that job of removing the tombstones.

I've got plenty of ideas for Innoventions (like most people out there). This is just a sample of my brilliance. :)

CBOMB

You've been reading Tolstoy in the Pub again, haven't you.

RAZORBRAD

By your avatar, I can see you are biased, but for the 99.9% of the other people who go there and didn't buy one of those ridiculous tiles, I'd like to say that those slabs are the ugliest thing on all of Disney property and need to go. The entrance is supposed to entice you into starting to dream about your entry into a new world, not creep you out feeling you are walking through a graveyard. The fact that probably only 10% of the space they set aside on those slabs was actually sold should tell you that a lot of people agree.

The graveyard is horrible.

Doesn't this view look better?

EPCOT_Center%27s_Spaceship_Earth_on_opening_day.jpg
99.9% ? give me a break

kcnole

If given the opportunity to vote and without having purchased one of those tiles I would say that a good majority would vote for the much more open and beautiful entrance we used to have over the cold, war monument that we have erected there now. Those monuments impede traffic flow and just bring a very dark and cold feel to the entrance of a park that used to have a beautiful and inspiring entrance way.

jt04

99.9% ? give me a break

Are you saying 99.9% is too low? Because if you think about the amount of guests that passed through the turnstiles over the years LaL was being sold, I would dare say it is low. Thats right, much fewer than 1 in 1000 guests actually purchased a tile. It is just one colossal monument to a failed concept. Bring on the bulldozers!

The MaD Hatter

Based on attendance records, at least 70 million people passed through Epcot's turnstiles during the 8 years that LaL was for sale. If jt04 is correct that less than 0.01% purchased LaL tiles, then less than 70,000 tiles were sold during that time. I'd say it was far less than this, so if anything jt04 is over-estimating the amount of people who purchased tiles.

jt04

Based on attendance records, at least 70 million people passed through Epcot's turnstiles during the 8 years that LaL was for sale. If jt04 is correct that less than 0.01% purchased LaL tiles, then less than 70,000 tiles were sold during that time. I'd say it was far less than this, so if anything jt04 is over-estimating the amount of people who purchased tiles.

Exactly! The tombstones could only hold 750,000 pictures if all squares were sold. Many, many were given away. The walls are nowhere near full. Much of it is empty space.

Expo_Seeker40

while riding SSE, face backwards and kindly ask the girl in the window about leave a legacy sales figures and she will tell you...:lookaroun

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
We've been over this....

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=204134&highlight=leave+legacy

mousermerf said:
Came across this tidbit as a "tip" at disneyworld.com:

The Leave a Legacy sculpture located near the main entrance of Epcot® features 30 sculptured granite monoliths which will accommodate nearly 750,000 images of guests etched on metallic tiles.

Okay.. now let's look at the press information from Legacy's closure...
The Leave A Legacy program, first launched at Epcot in Fall 1999, has been discontinued as of June 16, 2007. The current display of more than 550,000 tiles at the main entrance of Epcot will remain for the time being. The Leave A Legacy Locator station will be relocated to the Camera Center underneath Spaceship Earth. If you need to get information about your Leave A Legacy tile from home, contact the following email address: WDW.EC.legacy@disney.com

750,000 - 550,000 = 200,000 unfilled tiles

That's ~26% of the original total. Nearly 8 years and the thing is under 3/4 of the way full.

They would of had to sell them for atleast 2 more years assuming the rate of sale was steady from start to finish. Far more likely then the needed ~256 sales a day, with how unbusy the kiosks had become, they were looking at several years, 4 or maybe 5.

What a complete and utter failure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom