Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Have you watched Office Space since going through this transformation? You will gain a new appreciation.for.the movie.

As for the consultants, become a bobblehead, nod and agree with what they say, fix it after they leave. To fight is to put a target on yourself.
Yes. We call the consultants the Bobs all the time:)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Orlando Layoffs Pile Up - 145 Laid Off
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...-why-disney-plans-to-lay-off-145-workers.html

They are reporting massive layoffs unlike any ever seen at Disney coming in mid-December.

Massive layoffs? I don't want to diminish the pain of those who do get laid off, but, 145 people in the size of a company as WDW is not 'massive.' That's 0.23% of the work force.

SeaWorld, so much very smaller than WDW is laying off 350. What do you call that, "apocalyptic"?

JoeCamel

Massive layoffs? I don't want to diminish the pain of those who do get laid off, but, 145 people in the size of a company as WDW is not 'massive.' That's 0.23% of the work force.

SeaWorld, so much very smaller than WDW is laying off 350. What do you call that, "apocalyptic"?
He was referring to a fake post in the link to the squeal site. Not true and no basis to believe it is anything but political schemeing

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's the good-ole get rid of the higher salary people and give the younger people a "title" but pay them less then the people who are actually qualified to do the job.

Agreed...

They do run a bloated operation - for sure - and could use some better structure...
...but they cut leads out of resort operations years ago and the quality has sucked more and more with each passing day. And the price goes up tremendously. So there's that too...

peter11435

So who were you referring to, exactly?

Many of you speak as if you work at Disney alongside these people. Unless you put on a name tag each day please stop pretending to know everything and justify why it’s ok to have thousands of people fired because a few people inside the company makes some decisions you don’t like. These are people’s livelihoods you’re all dismissing simply because you don’t like the color of a new trash can. It’s a vacation destination to you but a source of income and stability to those that work there. You’re spewing out these rumors causing panic within the company and for some reason some of you seem excited that good, talented, dedicated people may be walked out of a job.

If anyone has actual, credible info then feel free to share. Otherwise, please stop speculating and assuming you could run things better.
I'm very familiar with what goes on within the company far beyond the color of new trash cans. You don't have to put on a name tag to have inside knowdledge and close connections. As I said it's unfortunate for those involved but changes were necessary.

bluetiedye

Plus the article is pointing to a statement from Disney that says the layoffs are across global Disney Parks & Resorts, which has 145k employees, not just WDW.

Anyway, the big question to me is what happens to George Kalogridis, who runs WDW. If he stays, it's simply cost-cutting. If he goes, then it's part of a broader and more structural change to WDW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Has a WARN notice been given?

Probably not,

remember a bunch of little layoffs dont equal one WARN worthy one, And fer sure Disney does not want the blind analysts on the Street learning of a mass layoff because that runs counter to the 'Everything is Awesome' narrative from Burbank.

A mass layoff would have the analysts examining how EPS was derived and then the whole 'growth stock' illusion falls apart.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And why get rid of bloat? Cause your numbers suck and financial performance metrics must be met.

Firing people isn't done as an exercise it is done for an outcome.

Why so made at Ford? Don't be mad at him, he is just a few steps ahead of you.

They are mad because i keep pointing to the elephant in the room, ALL the problems at WDW today are the DIRECT result of prioritizing FINANCIAL performance over BUSINESS performance and yes kids there is a difference.

Historically there is a formula for a disney style theme park. One invests about 20% of revenue into maintenance and expansion and the parks pretty much take care of themselves and generate a 20% or greater profit margin basically forever.

Disney at one point was down to 8% of revenue now they are at 12% and the only thing keeping margins up is constant layoffs and quality cuts.

Yet down the street there is another park following Disneys discarded playbook and investing that 20% and their margins are nearly twice those at Disney and attractions dont take a decade to build. Is it a 'better' park no not yet but it CAN be and that was never possible in the days when Disney concentrated on BUSINESS performance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They are mad because i keep pointing to the elephant in the room, ALL the problems at WDW today are the DIRECT result of prioritizing FINANCIAL performance over BUSINESS performance and yes kids there is a difference.

Historically there is a formula for a disney style theme park. One invests about 20% of revenue into maintenance and expansion and the parks pretty much take care of themselves and generate a 20% or greater profit margin basically forever.

Disney at one point was down to 8% of revenue now they are at 12% and the only thing keeping margins up is constant layoffs and quality cuts.

Yet down the street there is another park following Disneys discarded playbook and investing that 20% and their margins are nearly twice those at Disney and attractions dont take a decade to build. Is it a 'better' park no not yet but it CAN be and that was never possible in the days when Disney concentrated on BUSINESS performance.
You do know that Comcast’s stock buyback program is bigger than TWDC right? I don’t disagree with your general point that TWDC is managing their business based on stock performance. Where I completely disagree is your implication that it’s only a Disney problem. This is a corporate America problem and your shining example down the road from WDW has a parent company that is just as guilty as Disney of playing the game.

While Comcast is willing to invest in new attractions they are also quick to close existing ones to do it which helps keep operating and maintenance costs down. When Disney tries to close an existing attraction to build a new one people grab their pitch forks and start an online petition. In your example, the more you have to spend on existing maintenance and operations the less you have to spend on new additions.

peter11435

Would you expand? Of course, nothing is ever so simple, but what about the general sentiment do you disagree with?
What does or does not happen to George is in no way an indicator of the intent of this restructuring and layoffs. George makes an awful lot. If he is cut it could very well still be entirely about cost cutting. And if he stays it could still be about restructuring the organization for better operation.

AEfx

You do know that Comcast’s stock buyback program is bigger than TWDC right? I don’t disagree with your general point that TWDC is managing their business based on stock performance. Where I completely disagree is your implication that it’s only a Disney problem.

THIS. x1000.

In just about any discussion of this type, it all comes down to the bolded part and people just will not accept it.

The only counter is "well it's Disney, they are supposed to be different". No, they are a massive corporation and anyone who ran it much differently would not be in the job very long.

Then comes "well they used to be different". Well, the world used to be different, too.

The biggest source of ire and anger I see on these boards in general when talking about Disney is that people somehow feel that the company should have been able to exist in a magical bubble for the past forty years or so as the entire rest of the world has completely and utterly changed around it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom