News Layoffs, permanent closures, and more at WDW third-party establishments

celluloid

In terms of theme park survival, Disney will definitely be the last to fall. All other theme parks locally and internationally will absorb the damage first before Disney. Even Universal will close theirs first before Disney.

I do not think it will come to either of of those, but Comcast has a much larger financial stability position on this because it has diversity. Not quite as dependent on China theme park wise.

celluloid

China barely makes a blip towards Disney’s parks and resorts revenue.

Wrong, or rather you are right, and that is the problem. It's a hole in Hong Kong.

But I was also speaking as a bad thing for the entire company with more to lose that supports parks and resorts. Lost
movie revenue, no cruise line profits, ESPN etc.

Last edited:

winstongator

The bigger issue will be with smaller parks. The following article highlights some stocks with seemingly attractive dividends, but very uncertain futures:
The two in that article, Six Flags (SIX) is down 80% from highs, and Cedar Fair (FUN) is down almost 75%. Sea World (SEAS) also down almost 75%. Disney is down 38%. Sea World has $1.5B in long-term debt as a company with less than that in annual revenue. Cedar Fair has even more debt at $2.1B on roughly the same revenues. Six Flags has $2.2B in debt with again around $1.5B in annual revenue. Compare to Disney which has $38B in long-term debt on $75B in annual revenues. Serious problems will hit the smaller park operators well before they approach Disney.

I do not think it will come to either of of those, but Comcast has a much larger financial stability position on this because it has diversity. Not quite as dependent on China theme park wise.
Comcast's financial stability has nothing to do with its parks. It's 100% due to its giant cable & internet businesses. That accounts for the lion's share of its revenue, and an even bigger share of their profits. I looked it up a few days ago, but it is quite easy to find in their annual reports.

Iger's investment in China as well as the Fox acquisition look much different now than they did 6 months ago.

celluloid

The bigger issue will be with smaller parks. The following article highlights some stocks with seemingly attractive dividends, but very uncertain futures:
The two in that article, Six Flags (SIX) is down 80% from highs, and Cedar Fair (FUN) is down almost 75%. Sea World (SEAS) also down almost 75%. Disney is down 38%. Sea World has $1.5B in long-term debt as a company with less than that in annual revenue. Cedar Fair has even more debt at $2.1B on roughly the same revenues. Six Flags has $2.2B in debt with again around $1.5B in annual revenue. Compare to Disney which has $38B in long-term debt on $75B in annual revenues. Serious problems will hit the smaller park operators well before they approach Disney.

Comcast's financial stability has nothing to do with its parks. It's 100% due to its giant cable & internet businesses. That accounts for the lion's share of its revenue, and an even bigger share of their profits. I looked it up a few days ago, but it is quite easy to find in their annual reports.

Iger's investment in China as well as the Fox acquisition look much different now than they did 6 months ago.

You just agreed with me. That is why I said the Comcast company who is mainly in communications rather than just entertainment and leaisure. That is why Disney would be in trouble much faster than Comcast.
Sorry if I was not clear. People are not likely to give up their entire internet provider and cable when working from home as long as they can, and they need it no.matter what sort of online entertainment. Disney Plus helps Disney, but will run dry of content soon.

celluloid

When it generates profit it will.

Yeah. That is true. That is going to be a flucuating situation now too that it has premiered worldwide, but running out of interesting content or not adding much of a back catalog for those who have had it for awhile. I meant more in the form of some money coming in is better than no money coming in, but still going to be rough waters all around. The same way June 1st may not happen and April and May we figure will not at all, but they will hold onto the reservations with free dining enticements and people who have not canceled yet, just to hold onto money, even if they know it will not be theirs or turn a profit later.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The stocks and operating companies are threatened, but all three of those entities will open for business in 2021, just perhaps with new owners. If I had 2 billion dollars lying around, I'd buy out Cedar Fair, pay its debts for a year, and sell it for 3 times what I invested in December. But that only works if you have the cash to buy the whole thing and make its debt service.

TrainsOfDisney

I actually think the regional parks will be in a much better situation. They don’t rely on international visitors, they rely on regional visitors. A typical American family will want to do something fun but won’t have the vacation time and/or finances to go on a week long trip to Disney.

Once things start to open up again, the regional parks will be the first to get business.

Of course Disney can tap into the local makets as well.... but it’s gonna be hard especially in Florida with 4 parks and all of those hotels.

celluloid

I actually think the regional parks will be in a much better situation. They don’t rely on international visitors, they rely on regional visitors. A typical American family will want to do something fun but won’t have the vacation time and/or finances to go on a week long trip to Disney.

Once things start to open up again, the regional parks will be the first to get business.

Of course Disney can tap into the local makets as well.... but it’s gonna be hard especially in Florida with 4 parks and all of those hotels.

Good points. Most regional parks are just opening up too. Anything above the carolinas would just be prepping for hiring/training for opening in May. The hard loss for Cedar Fair is Knotts, Valley Fair and a few other parks like Carrowinds and Schlittberahn waterparks in texas.
Disney being bigger and international, has more to lose. You bring up a good point that a lot of people will say "we will just have a weekend or day in (regional park) this year instead of their Disney trip for various reasons.

celluloid

That's one of my favorite places to shop in the mall or at DS.

Well you may not want to support them if the way all of their part timers speaking of them is any indication. They are claiming it was done coldly. Not that there is an easy right way right now. But they are also a company worth billions that probably could have given some kind of warning or notice.

Lilofan

Well you may not want to support them if the way all of their part timers speaking of them is any indication. They are claiming it was done coldly. Not that there is an easy right way right now. But they are also a company worth billions that probably could have given some kind of warning or notice.
During the covid19 crisis, my family member was laid off over the phone.

celluloid

During the covid19 crisis, my family member was laid off over the phone.

I mean it makes sense, but yeah, I guess with Sephora it was a mass online conference call where they were shown online slides, but it is a shame if it was a company the size of sephora if no subtle warning could come of it. Even the central florida theme parks have given a date to when they are going to shoot for.

WeWantsTheRedHead

Comcast being so much more diverse than Disney, it can weather almost any storm. Disney only having divisions of entertainment – theme parks, tv, movies, etc. – this will be a real hit to them. The hospitality, cruise and airline industry will look very different at the end of this.

Orange County and Orlando were attempting to get more tech, medical and defense companies in Central Florida to diversify the economy. Unfortunately, the pandemic will curtail the creation of new jobs and there are not a lot of good jobs for hotel/theme park employees to look for. Lockheed Martin, UCF, medical field, law enforcement officer, firefighter, government employee...that's all there really is and that isn't enough for 2.5 million Central Floridians. Other than a small number of salaried management positions, theme park/hotel jobs are low-paying hourly positions. The huge number of people that find themselves stuck in them is mind-blowing.

I love Florida, but there is obviously too much reliance on the tourism sector – be it cruises, theme parks or hotels – to carry the economy. The elected officials are a mixed bag like anywhere. But with all the tourist dollars the state is flush with, they really need to focus on diversity or the state is dead in the water during the next crisis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom