News Layoffs, permanent closures, and more at WDW third-party establishments

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Landry's Group has furloughed and laid off over 45,000 employees (supposedly temporarily) which owns or operates Yak & Yeti's, the T-Rex Cafe, and the Rainforest Cafe restaurants. Bloomberg.com. Apparently the owner, billionaire Tilman Fertitta, is a pretty scummy guy.

Patina Group which owns or operates Enzo's Hideaway, Morimoto Asia, Maria and Enzo's, Pizza Ponte, The Edison, Tutto Italia, Via Napoli, and the upcoming Space 220 restaurant has furloughed most employees with the intention to hire them back. They can receive unemployment benefits during the months they are not being paid as they are furloughed, but it is still not ideal https:///2020/03/unpaid-disney-springs-workers-rwb1/.

Splitsville and Homecomin' have laid off all employees Mynews13.com.

Cirque Du Soleil is exploring bankruptcy (restructuring) and has laid off thousands. Reuters.com.

Marriott, the operator of the Swan and Dolphin resorts (owned by Tishman Realty & Construction Corporation and MetLife), is furloughing tens of thousands of employees worldwide Usatoday.com.

Sephora has laid off more than three thousand part-time, seasonal staffers Usatoday.com.

As for the Walt Disney Company itself, Walt Disney World's College Program has been suspended for a few weeks now with attendees still receiving credit albeit without pay for the rest of the term Mynews13.com, but fortunately, full-time and even many part-time employees will be paid at least until April 18th Orlandosentinel.com.

However, Disney will now furlough ALL non-union employees thereafter with union discussions ongoing Cnbc.com. Internally, Disney has known that the US theme parks would likely be closed until late May due to COVID-19 since February but has finally bit the bullet on not knowing when a reopening will happen. Not reopening for the Summer months, or having to close again in the fall would be painful for the company to weather, and even tougher choices will have to be made using projections the closer we get.

Any new information or updated information will be posted here in a timely manner.

EDITED: 4/4/20, to be continued...

Last edited:

Stripes

Patina Group which owns or operates Enzo's Hideaway, Morimoto Asia, Maria and Enzo's, Pizza Ponte, The Edison, Tutto Italia, Via Napoli, and the upcoming Space 220 restaurant has furloughed most employees with the intention to hire them back. They can receive unemployment benefits during the months they are not being paid as they are furloughed, but it is still not ideal https:///2020/03/unpaid-disney-springs-workers-rwb1/.

Landry's Group has furloughed and laid off over 45,000 employees (supposedly temporarily) which owns or operates Yak & Yeti's, the T-Rex Cafe, and the Rainforest Cafe restaurants. Bloomberg.com. Apparently the owner, billionaire Tilman Fertitta, is a pretty scummy guy.

Cirque Du Soleil is exploring bankruptcy (restructuring) and has laid off thousands. Reuters.com.

Marriott, the owner of the Swan and Dolphin resorts, is furloughing tens of thousands of employees worldwide Usatoday.com

As for the Walt Disney Company itself, Walt Disney World's College Program has been suspended for a few weeks now with attendees still receiving credit albeit without pay for the rest of the term Mynews13.com, but fortunately, full-time and even many part-time employees will be paid at least until April 18th Orlandosentinel.com. Internally, Disney has known that the US theme parks would likely be closed until late May due to COVID-19 since February. Not reopening for the Summer months, or having to close again in the fall would be painful for the company to weather, and tougher choices will have to be made then.

Any new information or updated information will be posted here in a timely manner.
While the application process is a pain, the good news (for the workers) is that the vast majority of them will receive substantially higher pay on unemployment under the relief bill that was passed. About half of their previous pay plus $600/week.

Herdman

Marriott, the owner of the Swan and Dolphin resorts, is furloughing tens of thousands of employees worldwide Usatoday.com

As for the Walt Disney Company itself, Walt Disney World's College Program has been suspended for a few weeks now with attendees still receiving credit albeit without pay for the rest of the term Mynews13.com, but fortunately, full-time and even many part-time employees will be paid at least until April 18th Orlandosentinel.com. Internally, Disney has known that the US theme parks would likely be closed until late May due to COVID-19 since February. Not reopening for the Summer months, or having to close again in the fall would be painful for the company to weather, and tougher choices will have to be made then.

What is the source for the late May reopening date?

Ojo4

These employees are going to be making more money on unemployment than if they were working while also getting to keep access to their benefits while being furloughed. They'll be fine. The trick will be trying to get them to come back to work when this is all over

Hcalvert

What is the source for the late May reopening date?
I just received an email from Disney offering a free dining plan with stays starting June 1. I am thinking they are fairly certain that they will be open by then. I cannot take advantage of it because I have an AP. :rolleyes: However, this might be good news for me since I have a reservation in early June and another in mid-July. :D

1585466909115.png

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I just received an email from Disney offering a free dining plan with stays starting June 1. I am thinking they are fairly certain that they will be open by then. I cannot take advantage of it because I have an AP. :rolleyes: However, this might be good news for me since I have a reservation in early June and another in mid-July. :D

1585466909115.png
Seems somewhat optimistic to me.

HauntedMansionFLA

These employees are going to be making more money on unemployment than if they were working while also getting to keep access to their benefits while being furloughed. They'll be fine. The trick will be trying to get them to come back to work when this is all over
Those unemployment benefits will eventually end and they will receive $0. The trick would be for them to come back to their original employer. They should be out looking for something better (if possible)

asianway

Marriott does not own the Swan and Dolphin

seascape

Idk what your obsession with Disney buying random properties is but this is as far out there as your insistence TWDC should purchase SWO.
One of two things will happen when the Covid19 problem is over. The economy will crash and with it millions of jobs and outrageously expensive themeparks like Disney and Universal. Or the economy comes back and anyone who was smart enough to buy assets at this insanely low price will make a fortune. Therefore, I don't see any downside because if things are horrible WDW wont survive but if it is okay, they can make a killing. I told everyone to keep buying in 2008 and 2009. Those that did made a huge profit and those who left their money in money markets gained 1% a year and have less than those who invested in stock, even with this bear market.

mwf5555

Marriott, the operator of the Swan and Dolphin resorts (owned by Tishman Realty & Construction Corporation and MetLife), is furloughing tens of thousands of employees worldwide Usatoday.com

Any layoff rumblings on Salaried or Office and Technical Hourly

HauntedMansionFLA

One of two things will happen when the Covid19 problem is over. The economy will crash and with it millions of jobs and outrageously expensive themeparks like Disney and Universal. Or the economy comes back and anyone who was smart enough to buy assets at this insanely low price will make a fortune. Therefore, I don't see any downside because if things are horrible WDW wont survive but if it is okay, they can make a killing. I told everyone to keep buying in 2008 and 2009. Those that did made a huge profit and those who left their money in money markets gained 1% a year and have less than those who invested in stock, even with this bear market.
Is that you Warren Buffett??😉

Disneyfanman

In terms of theme park survival, Disney will definitely be the last to fall. All other theme parks locally and internationally will absorb the damage first before Disney. Even Universal will close theirs first before Disney.
I am a long time stockholder and customer and I’m worried. They are fissuring cash at an unheard of rate. Nobody knows where this will end. Disney may look very different in 2021.

Unlikely to fail? Sure. Too big to fail......nope. 3/4 of their revenue streams are dark. They never planned for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom