Latest Social Media 'Experiment'?

RSoxNo1

Small correction, but I do like to get things right. The breast-feeding Duffy momma was not in TDS, but in TDL. She was actually smack dab in the midst of a huge walkway that connects Fantasyland with Frontierland and Critter Country. She was sort of close to Dumbo and sitting there amidst all these people and no one (except some Spirted Americans) found her behavior to be a bit ... off.:eek:

I've seen the same thing in the middle of Frontierland in WDW while a parade was going on, as well as during a show of Finding Nemo the Musical. The latter was more discrete, I bent down to tie my shoe, and wound up looking right at the lady in front of me - it was 100% unintentional, but I couldn't have made it look like I was trying to get a view any better.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, one could try to ask him.

And from a business perspective, I wonder why those inverstors keep asking about the end of the discounts (it seems like in every investor phone conference Bob Iger is announcing that the end of them is near...), but not stuff like this.

No one is going to ask Bob because the financial media is largely in bed with corporate America. He just waltzed through an interview with CNBC where he touted the the power and strength of Disney's braodcast networks (mostly ESPN) but wasn't asked if he worries about 60% of operating revenue coming from a business unit so dependent on advertising and outside forces (the near cancellation of the NBA season this year due to a labor dispute).

Operating income for P&R was up a healthy 18%, but not one question was lobbed in his direction as to how that happened ... and he was a bit uncomfortable in admitting the Costa Concordia sinking has had an affect on DCL bookings right before his line is about to complete a more than doubling of fleet size.

There's no one out there that will be granted the access to Bob that will question him on the Disney strategy for social media.

Oh, and while discounts have been dialed back some since 2009 when he said they'd do so, Disney P&R is still relying on mass discounting to fill its hotels and timeshares (that's why I see a banner ad below for Aulani offering me a free night if I stay five and free breakfast daily!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW Spirit, you asked elsewhere about Josh Hallett. I think I met him briefly through another local blogger / social media expert.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney simply handed over strategy for new media to someone already entrenched in new media. Their old timers don't get it, I think. Of course, just being an outsider doesn't guarantee you 'get' it either, especially when it comes to Disney's specialized audience.

Yes, thanks Kevin. ... I'm just trying to do a sort of flow chart as to Disney's Social Media business. I know he is local, but seems to travel extensively (likely for 'business'). I'm just wondering if he is the top dog consultant locally for WDW Co in dealing with the subject. I doubt very much that he'll pop in here (much like he stayed far clear of last summer's giant LP.com thread).

Oh, and I don't think anyone at Disney -- including well-paid outsiders like Josh get it. Social Media is, frankly, way too new to draw conclusions and people are placing ridiculous import on its real world value to companies ... and Disney is eating it up. These folks don't want to admit how many people are turned off things like FB and Twitter and have no desire to put their 'likes' and 'dislikes' out to the www ... but folks like Hallett have to say those people are insignificant to continue to justify their paychecks. It's a sordid little world at the end of the day.

It is pretty clear that their top strategy is to co-opt as many online personalities in the fan community as they can and just try and shout down the critics, no matter how valid (like your Splash Mountain report, there is no way to justify it ... so you just try and make sure it gets lost in the ether) the criticism is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting thought, however if the old timers don't get it, how do they know whether they actually get a quality product from theose they outsourced it to?

I would think a media company ought to be able to formulate its own media strategies

Absolute best, most common sense and obvious (yet 99% of people seem to miss it) fact regarding social media.

This strategy would be like Colonel Sanders outsourcing chicken.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've seen the same thing in the middle of Frontierland in WDW while a parade was going on, as well as during a show of Finding Nemo the Musical. The latter was more discrete, I bent down to tie my shoe, and wound up looking right at the lady in front of me - it was 100% unintentional, but I couldn't have made it look like I was trying to get a view any better.

Wait ... you saw women attempting to BREAST FEED PLUSH?!??!

AT WDW?

Were they Asians and holding Duffys?!?!:eek:

Someone asked Iger/Rasulo about the NBA season on last quarter's conference call. The answer was something like ESPN would figure something else out if the season was indeed canceled. I guess that question would be irrelevant today since it wasn't canceled or the answer would be the same.

Disney uses a very narrow definition of the word "discounting" which is probably why they can tell you they are dialing back while it still appears that "discounting" is still going on as it has been for the past few years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Someone asked Iger/Rasulo about the NBA season on last quarter's conference call. The answer was something like ESPN would figure something else out if the season was indeed canceled. I guess that question would be irrelevant today since it wasn't canceled or the answer would be the same.

I'm sure ESPN was hurt by the lockout, but since most people don't even start paying attention to the NBA before Christmas, I don't think losing November and early December games was much of a factor. Football is still king that time of year.

But if the NBA called off a season, it would Disney even if the NBA contracts would force the league to pay a huge sume to its broadcast partners.

Disney uses a very narrow definition of the word "discounting" which is probably why they can tell you they are dialing back while it still appears that "discounting" is still going on as it has been for the past few years.

Of course they do. They can honestly say that they aren't discounting to 2009 levels ... but barely. Certain discounts have become permanent like the 20% across the board AP merchandise discount (something that always should have been there, but that's another subject). ... And since folks have been getting free dining included in stays this far in 2012, I'd love Iger to 'splain when giving winter free dining started.

That doesn't even include the discounts to CMs ... like the years-long 40% lunch discounts at places like The Wave and Olivia's and Sanaa across property. Hell, I wonder how CM discounts/revenue get included in the pie (one would guess they count that money like it's a family from Kansas doing the spending!)

CBOMB

The closest thing to a religious experience I had at WDW happened years ago in a room at the WL! :cool::zipit::king:

Why did it have to be at my resort.

If anything I write here ruins someone's trip, then they need to seek immediate mental health care.

Ego tripper 1974? I think I like 'douchy' better. Opinions? :ROFLOL:

What you wrote about your almost religious experience at WL could possibly ruin future trips for me.

"Ego Tripper 1974" is pretty good. Very original. However, I have to go with "Douchy". It's just so you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
The closest thing to a religious experience I had at WDW happened years ago in a room at the WL!

No. This happened in the warm confines of the fifth floor (above WCC) of a lovely room on a chilly night in a ... :animwink:

Yeah, THAT ... was MAGICal!

Winky feels better now. He was afraid it might have happened in a room we stayed in.

CBOMB

And here I thought you were going to say it happened near the quail tiles in the Peter Pan restrooms in MK! :p

With the demise of those facilities on the horizon. I would have imagined that you would have confiscated your beloved Quail Tiles by now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why did it have to be at my resort.

Because it's my favorite ... and I was staying there ... and it's just so warm, romantic ... and ... wait for it ... wait for it ... Spiritual!:)

What you wrote about your almost religious experience at WL could possibly ruin future trips for me.

I'm sorry. I will buy the first TWO rounds at the Territory Lounge to make up for that.

"Ego Tripper 1974" is pretty good. Very original. However, I have to go with "Douchy". It's just so you.

I kind of like 'douchy' myself ... props to Jessica 'don't give two craps about Disney, which is why she's a premium member of a fan site' for bestowing it on me.

Jess, a LE pin is in the mail for ya!:kiss:

Winky feels better now. He was afraid it might have happened in a room we stayed in.

Winky might be upset by the fact some of his relatives may have been used to ... ah ... um ... yeah ... ahhh ... towel off!:D:cool::king:

WDW1974

Original Poster
With the demise of those facilities on the horizon. I would have imagined that you would have confiscated your beloved Quail Tiles by now.

Why do I sense those will wind up on eBay in the not too distant future?

And why can't we have smileys on the toilet here?

Lee

Adventurer
Why do I sense those will wind up on eBay in the not too distant future?

And why can't we have smileys on the toilet here?

You can expect to see Disney security at the restroom entrance frisking guests for chisels.

toilet-smile.gif

TalkingHead

Rest assured, plans are in the works.

Late-night, EMH, commando plans sprinkled with pixie dust.

Those quail tiles will be mine.

(And nice to see you, MP!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
You can expect to see Disney security at the restroom entrance frisking guests for chisels.

toilet-smile.gif

You are a true pal ... and legend in your own mind! I salute you (or would if I had a saluting smiley so I'll :wave:instead).

I will say the smiley looks a little bit like a Yellow M&M ... but, hey, close enough.

~How's Neville?!~

WDW1974

Original Poster
Who's going to the Shareholders meeting in Kansas City? March 13th...

I thought about it ... I always do, but doubt it. Got too much on my plate both travel/life wise and the meetings just aren't what they used to be since they started playing 'let's hide them from the fans and hold them in the winter in places no one would want to travel to'.

Why? You thinking about it?

My unsolicited advice would be to save the $$$ and use it toward a Disney (or other) trip elsewhere.

They won't be making any big announcements at it.

RSoxNo1

I thought about it ... I always do, but doubt it. Got too much on my plate both travel/life wise and the meetings just aren't what they used to be since they started playing 'let's hide them from the fans and hold them in the winter in places no one would want to travel to'.

Why? You thinking about it?

My unsolicited advice would be to save the $$$ and use it toward a Disney (or other) trip elsewhere.

They won't be making any big announcements at it.

I will be there.

I had no plans to go, but my mind could be changed if ribs will be served.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom