Last minute tips

Philo

Original Poster
Next week I'm off to DL!

I've got the entertainment schedule and park hours, booked the ADR's and printed out my e-tickets.

Any last minute tips / must do's?

On my list so far is:
Ride Jungle Cruise at night (never managed to do this during my WDW visits)
Ride both sides of the Matterhorn
See ASIMO (I can't get enough of robots)
Watch Alladin
Ride as many attractions as possible!

Do we have a definitive Nemo strategy? Do you suggest we run there first thing in the morning or are we better off waiting till a parade or Remember is on?

primetime52

Next week I'm off to DL!

I've got the entertainment schedule and park hours, booked the ADR's and printed out my e-tickets.

Any last minute tips / must do's?

On my list so far is:
Ride Jungle Cruise at night (never managed to do this during my WDW visits)
Ride both sides of the Matterhorn
See ASIMO (I can't get enough of robots)
Watch Alladin
Ride as many attractions as possible!

Do we have a definitive Nemo strategy? Do you suggest we run there first thing in the morning or are we better off waiting till a parade or Remember is on?

I always run to Nemo FIRST THING in the morning. It's been a flawless strategy in my recent trips. If you rush to Nemo when the gates open you will wait a maximum of 20 minutes (probably less but it depends on crowds).

I must admit that in all my years of traveling to DL and WDW, I've never ridden Jungle Cruise at night. That sounds like a great idea.

One thing to add to your list: Ride Indiana Jones Adventure often. Have you been to DL before? If not, you cannot miss IJA.

I think that Nemo is better as the LAST ride of the night. In the morning, everyone rushes to the Nemo line, making the rest of the park pretty much empty. Spring Break is starting, so there will be tons more people rushing to Nemo. The parks have been more insanely crowded than usual because of the 2fer and Birthday promotions.

My advice would be to start in Adventureland with Indy, then move on to Pirates and Haunted Mansion, moving clockwise through the park, that way you go against the flow of people.

susan5027

fast pass for IJA

I agree. Get that fast pass for IJA first thing and immediately get on the ride. This attraction is very popular. Pirates usually has a short line--nothing like WDW. Use it as a "filler" ride during the day, if you feel like being spontaneous for other rides and don't mind traversing the park at times. Yes, Jungle Cruise at night is a must! Too fun and a way to relax the feet for a while. Ride the carosel at night as well. It just seems more magical.

Don't forget to stop and listen to the steam boat whistle and BTMRR whistle and maybe even the DRR train whistle all from the same location. Pretty cool.
Lastly, have fun looking for hidden Mickeys! Ask a CM for the hidden Mickey on the wall in IJA in the cue line where the video is played. (hint: it's on the left wall as you are viewing the video--towards the front)

Philo

Original Poster
Thanks, some great tips so far.

This is my first visit to DL although I have been to WDW and DLP before - looking forward to seeing the original!

I certainly plan to go on IJA, I'm a huge fan of dinosaur so I'm expecting great things.

Keep those tips coming!

swimmom

A agree with CaesarBoxFan on riding Nemo at the end of the day. We got in line about five minutes before closing and waited about 30 minutes. Even if the wait is longer, what else would you be doing other than waiting in another line. Since we were almost at the very end of the line, it was fun to walk out of the park with so few people. I found this to be more enjoyable than rushing to Nemo in the crowd at the beginning of the day. Pirates & Space Mountain are on our list of favorites in DL.

TP2000

I like Submarine Voyage at night not just because the line is so short, but because the exterior lagoon portion of the ride looks much cooler when it's all lit up at night.

Do the stuff that doesn't exist at WDW, or is a Disneyland exclusive and doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. For instance:

Ride the Sailing Ship Columbia around the Rivers of America instead of the Mark Twain Riverboat. Go down below decks to see the crews quarters and the maritime museum, but only after you've passed Fort Wilderness and Hawkeye (the Captains lookout) has fired off the "two cannonball salute" from the forward cannon. Plug your ears!

If you are feeling athletic, paddle a canoe around the Rivers of America on the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. The perspective of the scenery is quite different from that low level, and the college guys in buckskin who work the ride are jokesters for the men and eye candy for the ladies.

Don't miss all of the dark rides or smaller attractions that are exclusive to Disneyland;
Alice In Wonderland from 1958
Mr Toad's Wild Ride from 1955
Pinochio's Daring Journey from 1983
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin from 1994
Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! from 2005 and in DCA
StorybookLand Canal Boats from 1955
Casey Jr. Circus Train from 1955 (and a faster way to see StorybookLand)
Tarzan's Treehouse (the Robinson's were evicted back in '99)
Main Street Cinema and Penny Arcade (not everything has to be a shop)

Check out Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island and see what all the fuss is about. Don't miss the spooky Deadman's Grotto caverns with the special effects and animatronics.

Ride the Disneyland Railroad, but make sure you travel between Tomorrowland and Main Street USA to see the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World. Try and catch Walt's personal VIP car, the Lilly Belle, being pulled by one of the three or four different trains they run each day.

Don't miss the E Ticket headliner attractions that have been designed and built to be very different from their WDW cousins. In no particular order:
Pirates of the Caribbean (see where the missing 7 minutes went)
Haunted Mansion (the floor actually drops instead of the ceiling going up)
It's A Small World (a longer ride with an outdoor garden section)
Disneyland Monorail (a 1959 attraction first, and 1961 hotel transportaion second, but still fun in 2009!)
Space Mountain (the sleek 21st century version!)
Enchanted Tiki Room (the original 1963 show)

And finally, there's the big E Tickets that only exist at Disneyland;
Indiana Jones Adventure
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

Over at DCA, you won't want to miss the Blue Sky Cellar Preview Center. Also check out Flik's Fun Fair, California Screamin', Paradise Pier, Disney Animation Pavilion, Grizzly River Run and Tower of Terror for attractions that don't exist in WDW or are very different in their California form.

The Aladdin musical in DCA's Hyperion Theater is not to be missed.

And don't forget to stop one night on your way out of Disneyland and look for the lamp in the window above the Fire Station. That was Walt's private apartment, and the light is kept on in memorial to him.

susan5027

morning monorail tip

Just thought of this tip.
If you are staying at the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier Hotel I would avoid the monorail in the morning hours for park entry. My family has timed both waiting in line for the monorail and waiting in line at the front gate. The front gate has been faster even with the walk. (Judge the length of the line and realize you have to wait for each train.) Besides, it just doesn't have that magical, exciting feeling of the walk under the RR station. Gotta read the sign on the archway as you pass under the tracks too. It's amazing how all of the outside hustle and bustle of Southern California vanishes as you pass under.

Another site you might want to see. The small western themed buildings on the right side of BTMRR are from the old Mine Train from many years ago. I don't know if they are original, but I'm old enough to remember them as a small kid from the '60's. That mine train ride used to be my favorite.

I hope these help. Have fun!

grunter

No matter how tired your feet are. No matter how enticing it might look almost immediately outside the entrance of the Disneyland Park. No matter how much your children might whine.

DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT EAT AT CAPTAIN KIDD'S!! :lookaroun

This little tip CANNOT be stressed enough.

Disneyfalcon

No matter how tired your feet are. No matter how enticing it might look almost immediately outside the entrance of the Disneyland Park. No matter how much your children might whine.

DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT EAT AT CAPTAIN KIDD'S!! :lookaroun

This little tip CANNOT be stressed enough.

:lol:

Another ride that gets crazy is Peter Pan. There's no FASTPASS for this ride at Disneyland and the line gets soooooo long during the day. If we are traveling with kids we know will want to ride it, we go to Fantasyland first.

Also, a great place for lunch is Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show. There's great chilli in a bread bowl and chicken strips to eat while you're watching a great show!

Philo

Original Poster
Thanks again,

Lots of information to get through!

My strategy with Fantasy land (esp PPF) is to hit it later at night when most of the kids have gone home and the queue is down to just a few minutes.

I think I prefer the idea of riding Nemo at night - for the atmosphere if nothing else but depending on the wait times I might try for both a day and night ride.

Captain Kidd's is off the menu for sure - what's so bad about this place? I will be going to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies though - I've heard lot's of good things about them.

I'll be flying out on Thursday morning (spending a few days in other places before going to DL). Getting excited now!

agent86

I think that Nemo is better as the LAST ride of the night. In the morning, everyone rushes to the Nemo line, making the rest of the park pretty much empty.

This is actually really good advice. I agree with this wholeheartedly. The thing about Nemo is that while it's cool to get to experience the subs again (or for the OP, it is sort of like experiencing 20KL again), it's really not worth a super long wait in line. That time is much better spent hitting all the other (better) attractions while the lines for them aren't very long.

Have a great time!! :wave:

Katherine

I would definitely do Fantasyland in the morning at park opening. Nemo do at night. I remember I went last summer on a friday at opening and was able to ride Alice, Matterhorn (3 times), storybook canal, and Peter Pan all by 9:30 or so. Then I think i went to Space Mountain and had a 20 min wait (and yes Space Mountain in DL is sooo amazing and just plain fun).

Enjoy everything! It really is amazing and make sure to spend time in New Orleans square it's amazing! Try to catch the Mardi Gras-esque show... it's so fun! And there are always performers on main st so try to see those too. I find Disneyland less overwhelming so it's easier to appreciate the details.

Have a great time!

Philo

Original Poster
Hi all,

I'm back from my travels. I'll try to get round to doing a proper trip report soon.

I gotta say though (shuffles feet) I prefer MK to DL. Some of the rides were much better (PotC, SM etc) but the setup of the parks at DL really got to me - I'm a big fan of themed queues and these were seriously lacking. Maybe it was made worse by the HUGE crowds but it just felt a little uncomfortable.

I did enjoy DCA but it's not really a park I could love, it had some great attractions (CS, TSM) butseemed to be missing the Disney magic.

Still, a good time was had by all and I'm glad I went.

California as a whole is a great place, my legs are just about ready to fall off after scaling some of San Francisco's hills though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom