News Lasseter taking leave of absence

choco choco

Fantasy world...

You hire him to use him for his unique talent... not because you need to punish him. If you aren't using his talent, he's not the right hire.

Sure, if you're looking at it from the company's perspective. I'm looking at it from "John's Penitence Tour" perspective. You want to show true remorse? You want to show your love of the art form is sincere enough that you'll suffer for it even though a Scarlett Letter is branded upon your forehead? Than do the worker bee, blood-sweat work for it, keep your head down, show humility and an ability to be in a workplace day in and day out without harassing people and - after a period of time - maybe people's opinions change; maybe they give you back some power. But self-punishment is the way back, really.

Now whether or not it's worth it for a company to be a part of his "Penitence Tour" is a good question. Although I'm of the opinion that if he truly is talented and truly cared, it should show in his work, no matter how small it is. If even all he is allowed to contribute is the smallest improvements of postures and eyelash bashes on the background characters in a large frame, he makes the most of it. This is still making use of his talent, is it not? What's the misattributed Lennon quote, "I'm an artist, you give me a frickin' tuba and I'll get you something out of it."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure, if you're looking at it from the company's perspective

Yeah, which is reality - as they are the ones who make the hiring decisions for THEIR benefit - not John's.

I'm looking at it from "John's Penitence Tour" perspective. You want to show true remorse? You want to show your love of the art form is sincere enough that you'll suffer for it even though a Scarlett Letter is branded upon your forehead? Than do the worker bee, blood-sweat work for it, keep your head down, show humility and an ability to be in a workplace day in and day out without harassing people and - after a period of time - maybe people's opinions change; maybe they give you back some power. But self-punishment is the way back, really.

The people who are going to be hung up on this are going to stay hung up on it no matter what he does. The people who will let his past be his past are only going to care about his work as long as he behaves. The people who are going to focus on the past... will always do so. No penance will change that.

It's Woody Allen all over again.

Indy_UK

You claim is not backed up by the article. In fact it concludes by saying he was cleared.

Hollywood was falling over itself trying to get Billy Bob back in the White House just a couple years ago. Their sanctimony and hypocrisy knows no limits.

Spare me their phony outrage. I'm not buying it.

Err.....

The pact to bring Lasseter in as head of the company’s animation division is said to include “ironclad” provisions that require the executive to not only pay for legal issues arising from future misbehavior, but also indemnify Skydance from any past misdeeds that had not come to light in the due diligence process conducted by an outside law firm.

erasure fan1

Just... why?
There's no way the benefits outweigh the risks here for Sundance, their movies are not only going to be boycotted by the public but by actors and directors too. They're not going to be able to get things off the ground anymore, all for an animation division which hasn't actually produced a single movie yet?
I'm not sure why so many thought he wouldn't get hired right away and are now shocked he was hired so quick. I said when he was put on leave he would get hired again sooner rather than later. A lot of people do bad stuff and get hired again, especially if you are one of the best, ever. I really see no downside for skydance. They are hiring one of the best ever to try and build a animation division. If it fails they just play the we believe in 2nd chances blah blah blah card. Then he goes away and the studio still gained valuable knowledge.
He should have started at the bottom again. Gotten a job as animator. Not even supervising animator, or senior animator. Animator. Doing simple touch ups on character poses and sketches, movement and inbetweening, the sort of grunt animator who adjusts things frame by frame, that low-rung job.
Why, for charity? If someone is willing to pay you and give you a position, you take it. Right or wrong, this is how our world works. So should Mike Vic have not taken a job as a QB and said no, I'll just be the towel boy, but thanks. No. I don't like it either but we shouldn’t really be surprised.

seascape

I'm not sure why so many thought he wouldn't get hired right away and are now shocked he was hired so quick. I said when he was put on leave he would get hired again sooner rather than later. A lot of people do bad stuff and get hired again, especially if you are one of the best, ever. I really see no downside for skydance. They are hiring one of the best ever to try and build a animation division. If it fails they just play the we believe in 2nd chances blah blah blah card. Then he goes away and the studio still gained valuable knowledge.

Why, for charity? If someone is willing to pay you and give you a position, you take it. Right or wrong, this is how our world works. So should Mike Vic have not taken a job as a QB and said no, I'll just be the towel boy, but thanks. No. I don't like it either but we shouldn’t really be surprised.
This is America, everyone deserves a second chance. He wasn't even charged or convicted of a crime. I think Disney did the right thing in getting rid of him but he still should have the right to work and unless we are a bunch of hypocrites a company should hire him.

Ripken10

This is America, everyone deserves a second chance. He wasn't even charged or convicted of a crime. I think Disney did the right thing in getting rid of him but he still should have the right to work and unless we are a bunch of hypocrites a company should hire him.
I have to agree with you. People have done far worse and kept their jobs. If every actor and fan boycotted every company that had people working for them with questionable past...well they wouldn't be able to do much of anything. Most people on here posting don't even know exactly what he was accused of doing, just know hearsay. Moreover, their is far larger amount of people in the public that have no idea of this past info, or even care.

I for one will be very interested to see what that studio puts out now. As my father told me once (referring to the NFL) I watch it to be entertained, I don't care about everything else that is going on and don't pay attention to it. If they put out a good product, the past will be forgotten quickly by most (but not be most on this site)

TeriofTerror

Out of curiosity, how does location factor into whether or not someone is deserving of a second chance?

seascape

Out of curiosity, how does location factor into whether or not someone is deserving of a second chance?
That is a good question. In this case Lasseter should have to stay in his office when meeting people and stay on his side of the desk or at a conference table seated. He does have a great mind and has some some amazing things. He also did or is accused of doing some bad things. I say give him a chance and hopefully we will get some great movies.

Mmoore29

You claim is not backed up by the article. In fact it concludes by saying he was cleared.

Hollywood was falling over itself trying to get Billy Bob back in the White House just a couple years ago. Their sanctimony and hypocrisy knows no limits.

Spare me their phony outrage. I'm not buying it.

Who are you referring to, Billy Bob Thornton? If so, what's he done?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom