News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Tavernacle12

Just... why?
There's no way the benefits outweigh the risks here for Sundance, their movies are not only going to be boycotted by the public but by actors and directors too. They're not going to be able to get things off the ground anymore, all for an animation division which hasn't actually produced a single movie yet?

Dr. Falls

Just... why?
There's no way the benefits outweigh the risks here for Sundance, their movies are not only going to be boycotted by the public but by actors and directors too. They're not going to be able to get things off the ground anymore, all for an animation division which hasn't actually produced a single movie yet?

I mean, can you really say that? The #MeToo movement has incredibly visible support, but does it have the sort of widespread social cachet that could support a mass boycott? I'm not inclined to believe so, considering it couldn't stop Kavanaugh from being appointed to the Supreme Court. And that's not even considering that Skydance is portraying this as a second-chance at redemption after some serious soul-searching. It seems to me that's the kind of story people always get behind it: after all, no one's perfect. And even then, we haven't considered the U.S.'s demographics, or the int'l market.

The boycott by actors and directors is equally meaningless. People don't respect celebrity opinions like we used to (or maybe we never did).

I'm not defending Lasseter's actions at Pixar, but I think we're vastly overestimating the actual fallout Skydance is going to suffer. This story will be buried within three weeks, and may resurface with their first animated movie, but I highly doubt it.

DisneyDoctor

I mean, can you really say that? The #MeToo movement has incredibly visible support, but does it have the sort of widespread social cachet that could support a mass boycott? I'm not inclined to believe so, considering it couldn't stop Kavanaugh from being appointed to the Supreme Court. And that's not even considering that Skydance is portraying this as a second-chance at redemption after some serious soul-searching. It seems to me that's the kind of story people always get behind it: after all, no one's perfect. And even then, we haven't considered the U.S.'s demographics, or the int'l market.

The boycott by actors and directors is equally meaningless. People don't respect celebrity opinions like we used to (or maybe we never did).

I'm not defending Lasseter's actions at Pixar, but I think we're vastly overestimating the actual fallout Skydance is going to suffer. This story will be buried within three weeks, and may resurface with their first animated movie, but I highly doubt it.
I agree with your analysis. By the time their first movie is released plenty of other scandals will have filled the tabloids and TVs of America and this will be nothing but blur.

DisneyOutsider

I think in some sense audiences will be intrigued to see how much of the Pixar charm was due to Lasseter and compare these films to his previous work. I believe his involvement in these films will definitely increase their audience.

choco choco

Waited to die?

He should have started at the bottom again. Gotten a job as animator. Not even supervising animator, or senior animator. Animator. Doing simple touch ups on character poses and sketches, movement and inbetweening, the sort of grunt animator who adjusts things frame by frame, that low-rung job. He shouldn't have been put in a position of power right away, that way he had no leeway to indulge in his worst instincts again. But now he's been put in a position where he controls everything and reports only to the CEO of the company...which is awful because all that power is gonna expose him right back to the situations that got him in trouble in the first place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
He should have started at the bottom again. Gotten a job as animator. Not even supervising animator, or senior animator. Animator. Doing simple touch ups on character poses and sketches, movement and inbetweening, the sort of grunt animator who adjusts things frame by frame, that low-rung job. He shouldn't have been put in a position of power right away, that way he had no leeway to indulge in his worst instincts again

Fantasy world...

You hire him to use him for his unique talent... not because you need to punish him. If you aren't using his talent, he's not the right hire.

FullSailDan

He should have started at the bottom again. Gotten a job as animator. Not even supervising animator, or senior animator. Animator. Doing simple touch ups on character poses and sketches, movement and inbetweening, the sort of grunt animator who adjusts things frame by frame, that low-rung job. He shouldn't have been put in a position of power right away, that way he had no leeway to indulge in his worst instincts again. But now he's been put in a position where he controls everything and reports only to the CEO of the company...which is awful because all that power is gonna expose him right back to the situations that got him in trouble in the first place.

Tweening doesn't exist anymore, and outside of concept art, sketching isn't really done unless you're working out how to pose something.

The man clearly has vision and ability, Skydance would dumb not to leverage it. Disney was kind enough to let him "take a leave of absence", but he should have been fired. Personally, I think he should have faced legal proceedings from the women and from the TWDC. Ultimately, his punishment, has been losing his life's work and being forced out from the most prestigious animation studio on the planet. He will forever have a black mark on his legacy. However, just because somebody does bad things at some point, doesn't mean their career lives should be ruined permanently. And I say that as a survivor of sexual assault. I hate the things that were done to me, but in no way do I want to see them unable to find employment, or housing, or become a productive member of society again after rehabilitation.

Bairstow

Fantasy world...

You hire him to use him for his unique talent... not because you need to punish him. If you aren't using his talent, he's not the right hire.
Not to mention that with Lasseter's personal fortune, there's no way he's getting out of bed for entry-level wages.

If Skydance wants to take a chance with the guy that's on them, but if I was their attorney I would strongly insist that they make sure the dude works from home.

CJR

I actually think what will be interesting is who follows him over there over the next several years, if he lasts that long there.

Indy_UK

I've seen reports that Skydance have a lot of protection in place like if a complaint comes up against Lasseter while he's working for them,he has to front the legal costs and not the company

jt04

I've seen reports that Skydance have a lot of protection in place like if a complaint comes up against Lasseter while he's working for them,he has to front the legal costs and not the company

Source?

Do you people casting stones really think his hiring didn't involve consultations with teams of lawyers? Do you really think he hasn't learned from whatever happened?

I think he probably deserves a second chance. IMO.

jt04

You claim is not backed up by the article. In fact it concludes by saying he was cleared.

Hollywood was falling over itself trying to get Billy Bob back in the White House just a couple years ago. Their sanctimony and hypocrisy knows no limits.

Spare me their phony outrage. I'm not buying it.

Phil12

Well, it's good to know that after having spent a year tied to the front of that garbage truck, he'll now have the chance to become productive again. Additional pumishment only serves to exact more revenge. After all, isn't that what Woody and Buzz would have wanted? And he was smart to keep his mouth shut.
latest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom