Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

Donaldfan1934

I fail to see why people think this makes the things completely unsafe.. Usually things are designed with multiple failsafes, and on top of that.. the safety factor has to be multiple times the expected loading etc. So far, at least as far as my understanding, this is a very small part of the system not like the entire chassis collapsed on a car, or caused the vehicle to suddenly derail. If those massive system fails occurred then yes safety would be compromised. As of right now, with the people in the know, and what has been shown, this is closer to a car tire losing a lug nut than an axle snapping.
This might not be the most unsafe incident, but I think the point that people are making is that it's a slippery slope. There have been concerns about the Monorail system for several years now so this is further validation for them.

Donaldfan1934

Isn't DLR's monorail system considered attraction, while WDW's monorail system is transportation?
More ore less, but it's still technically transportation to some extent since it takes you in and out of the park. Point is that WDW should give it's Monrail system the same love and care. Maybe even more so because it serves a much more integral transportation need.

Last edited:

peter11435

If you've ever been on one when a cover has been missing or out of place you'd have a great view of how poorly maintained they are. You don't have to be on staff to paint the picture, sadly.

It's not irresponsible to think they're an accident waiting to happen, we have some fresh evidence of that right here. They don't need remodeling, they need to be replaced.

I have seen covers removed. So I am aware of how much attention they desperately need. But again my point was that while we know they need a lot more maintenance than they are getting that does not mean they are not getting any except for paint as you were claiming.

As for this being evidence. If in fact it rotted away and fell off then yes that would be evidence. But right now we don't know the cause. If it hit something and was torn off that could have happened with a brand new monorail.

WEDwaydatamover

The monorails were always one of the best things about WDW for me. I was such a fan that just actually owned an original door from monorail red.

I haven't enjoyed them in about a decade. It's as if Disney has either forgotten or completely disregarded every lesson that they've learned since 1971 about running the monorail system. It's disgraceful. I don't understand what they are doing at TDO???

While they are patching monorail blue back together in the roundhouse I hope someone gives Jim Vendur & Associates front cab decal a good spit shine.

Last edited:

HMF

It's so iconic. To me, the future will always be the Mark VI monorail. Painful to see. It has often been said that when marching bands perform on Main Street, they tell the members to perform like it's a kid's first time seeing your instrument. Wish that philosophy rang a little more true around property.
I bet the Mark VIII Monorails will give the same feeling if not more so, Should they ever happen.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Good thing gondolas are coming. :cautious:
(I wonder how much of Epcot's 2-bill will now go toward fixing the Resort Monorail system)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
They did - thats the point. Those are completely new, untested technologies. The gondola system is not.

NRJ is completely new and untested technology? It's a reimagined It's a Small World with projectors, and an extra large animatronic. What makes you think they won't reimagine a gondola system?

Kamikaze

NRJ is completely new and untested technology? It's a reimagined It's a Small World with projectors, and an extra large animatronic. What makes you think they won't reimagine a gondola system?

Because we know who the manufacturer is and what system they are purchasing? Do you think they 'reimagine' the buses when they purchase them as well? Its the same thing. And yes, River Journey is a boat ride. Do you think when it goes 101 its the actual ride system thats the problem? Usually not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom