Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I fail to see why people think this makes the things completely unsafe.. Usually things are designed with multiple failsafes, and on top of that.. the safety factor has to be multiple times the expected loading etc. So far, at least as far as my understanding, this is a very small, part of the system not like the entire chassis collapsed on a car, or caused the vehicle to suddenly derail. If those massive system fails occurred then yes safety would be compromised. As of right now, with the people in the know, and what has been shown, this is closer to a car tire losing a lug nut than an axle snapping.

You're right, something that's obviously rotted away and falling off could not possibly be an indicator of a much larger problem.

ptaylor

Premium Member
I fail to see why people think this makes the things completely unsafe.. Usually things are designed with multiple failsafes, and on top of that.. the safety factor has to be multiple times the expected loading etc. So far, at least as far as my understanding, this is a very small part of the system not like the entire chassis collapsed on a car, or caused the vehicle to suddenly derail. If those massive system fails occurred then yes safety would be compromised. As of right now, with the people in the know, and what has been shown, this is closer to a car tire losing a lug nut than an axle snapping.
It once again demonstrates how upkeep and investment is lacking. You look at the poor state of the interior cabins, the horrible reliability, the shabby exterior condition, and then pieces falling off. Put all of this together and draw your own conclusions. Mine is that the monorails are in a terrible condition and should be completely replaced.

peter11435

That would make it so much better, wouldn't it. I've been on the monorail enough to know the sad state that it's in.

Want evidence? Search this forum alone for "monorail broken".
I am in no way saying the monorails are perfect. And the monorails do need a lot of work or replaced entirely. This particular train was just repainted.

But there is a huge difference between something rotting away and falling off and something being torn off. While both have the same end result they could have very different causes.

Donaldfan1934

Don't forget though, that DLR's is still operating on the Mark III chassis, only the shells above them have been completely replaced, although funnily enough Bob Gurr tells a pretty interesting story about how on opening day one of monorail red's electrical shoes fell off too.
Yes, but difference is that DLR's Monorail system is just coming off of a month long refurb right now. Tell me the last time maintenance of the Monorail system was routine at WDW?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I am in no way saying the monorails are perfect. And the monorails do need a lot of work or replaced entirely. This particular train was just repainted.

But there is a huge difference between something rotting away and falling off and something being torn off. While both have the same end result they could have very different causes.

That's all they do to maintain them though, more paint. Wait, I'm wrong about that. More paint, and automation to reduce staff. :(

jt04

This should give momentum to revamping the transportation systems. New monorails for the MK line. And repurposing the Epcot line with a new option would be a great path forward. Much more maintainable at lower cost.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This should give momentum to revamping the transportation systems. New monorail for the MK line. And repurposing the Epcot line with a new option would be a great path forward. Much more maintainable at lower cost.

The more press it gets, the more likely they'll allocate funds.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Remember when they used to boast about the monorail systems reliability?

Not any more....

Do you think this incident will force their hand on monorail maintenance/replacements/upgrades or will they just sweep it under the rug and hope it doesn't end up on the 6PM news?

GlassHalfFull

You're right, something that's obviously rotted away and falling off could not possibly be an indicator of a much larger problem.

I hope the dial on your airplane Airvent doesn't break off in your hand, or the on your car radio doesn't break off, or your rear window have an electrical failure not allowing it to go up or down. Otherwise your mechanic won't have an issue convincing you you need to replace the whole engine.

My point is there are plenty of cosmetic or small functional parts that fail FAR before anything is an indication that the vehicle is in immediate death and destruction danger.

While you or I do not know exactly what this piece is, it is irresponsible to think this issue renders them so unsafe that your risk of riding them is worse than it was prior to this piece falling off.

We both agree they should see loving and replacement/significant remodeling. But as far as what you or I know this is NOT the entire chassis, brake, or propulsion system. Just please wait until we know more before you jump to the conclusion that they are death traps. I'd argue we have had much worse issues in the past that were not entirely addressed prior to service recommencing at least based on what is reported so far.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Do you think this incident will force their hand on monorail maintenance/replacements/upgrades or will they just sweep it under the rug and hope it doesn't end up on the 6PM news?

According to twitter, it's definitely going to be on the news.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Neither you or I have any idea what they actually do to maintain them. Granted their physical appearance and amount of downtime would indicate that they are not doing enough.

If you've ever been on one when a cover has been missing or out of place you'd have a great view of how poorly maintained they are. You don't have to be on staff to paint the picture, sadly.

<snip the irrelevant bits>
While you or I do not know exactly what this piece is, it is irresponsible to think this issue renders them so unsafe that your risk of riding them is worse than it was prior to this piece falling off.

We both agree they should see loving and replacement/significant remodeling. But as far as what you or I know this is NOT the entire chassis, brake, or propulsion system. Just please wait until we know more before you jump to the conclusion that they are death traps. I'd argue we have had much worse issues in the past that were not entirely addressed prior to service recommencing at least based on what is reported so far.

It's not irresponsible to think they're an accident waiting to happen, we have some fresh evidence of that right here. They don't need remodeling, they need to be replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom