Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't make the mistake of confusing safety for maintenance. They're not going to do anything that they knowingly think is unsafe. But it's easy to convince yourself that there's nothing inherently unsafe in stretching out maintenance intervals if you have data showing mean time before failure is higher than the recommended maintenance/replacement interval. Accountants are not engineers, so if they see an opportunity to save money by extending maintenance intervals, there's no doubt in my mind they'll suggest that. Which is fine, and usually works out.

Until something critical to ride safety breaks, of course.

^^^ THIS ^^^ X1000

It's processes like this where the safety margin is eroded gradually with no INTENTION of reducing safety yet it's an inevitable result of this kind of process.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sure they have rigid procedures. Rigid procedures aren't everything though. Cosmetic issues are a sign of cutting corners, not directly related. The point is something not being painted doesn't directly mean that it's unsafe but rather is an indication of the quality of work and more importantly the work ethic of the company as a whole. The maintenance person who when fixing a door decides the door access panel is a little too worn and needs to be replaced is far more likely to have done a thorough and better job fixing the door. The maintenance manager who takes pride in his department's work is far more likely to allow that maintenance person to spend some extra time and do the job right and maybe keep somebody on shift in overtime to cover for him. The executive who cares about the safety and maintenance of the company is far more likely not to reprimand that manager for going over budget to fix some things the right way.

I've seen all this first hand. I've called in minor issues on a train and had a maintenance person end up dissembling half the cab while I drove as they uncovered problem after problem but insisted on fixing things the right way. I've also seen serious things be dismissed and saved for the next shift.

Let me give you an example. One day a monorail was coming into service and had a door indicate it was open. The sensor was bad. Now the right thing would have been to replace the sensor. Someone decided since it was a cab door the pilot would be there and would know if it opened and so disconnecting the sensor would solve the problem and the next shift could fix it. All was fine until the driver switched ends to take the train back for the night. The door didn't quite stay closed and flung open as the train exited the GF station. Door was ripped backwards by the railing and train went on its way with no indication of any problems.

Unfortunately in my time there as I noticed the cosmetic issues go unnadressd I also noted the same shift in how maintenance issues were handled. Add to that ever increasing procedures that come about after every accident all without additional staffing and these things compound themselves.

Machinery in GOOD cosmetic condition usually signifies an attention to detail which bodes well for reliability and overall safety in equipment.

Figment2005

Agreed, given the additional information since posted, especially that blue lost two additional shoes and Yellow also lost one, this sounds far more like an outside force acting upon the shoe and the fiberglass it was mounted to. And, more likely than not, that outside force had something to do with damage to the bus bar. I don't believe this incident, in and of itself, marks a lack of maintenance on the trains, nor does it even indicate the time has come to replace the shells (unlike I stated in my earlier post). Unfortunately, the trains' own appearance, inside and out, screams about the lack of care they have received in recent years. I would like to see that trend reversed, starting with a thorough cleaning, and a total replacement or at least proper operation of the trains' a/cs. (Albeit, sorry pilot's, not in the cab.)

On a different note, its interesting to hear that there is a possibility of a runaway monorail, back before the automation program, i understood (And once even had a pilot demonstrate to me during a cab ride) that there was a "dead man's switch" on the console that went off at random intervals that would automatically cut power and apply brakes if not activated. Also, at that time, MAPO would also e-stop the train for overspeed or block infringement (unless in override, like what happened in the incident that cost the pilot his life a few years back.)
They have actually started a refurbishment project. Blue was the first as it got a full top to bottom repaint, and monorail orange is almost back in service (doing testing this afternoon) after it was pulled out for the same thing. Orange, however, also received full A/C replacement front to rear. Another note, the cab A/C is actually more important than the ones in the cars, not that the ones in the cars should not be working, but with the new automation computer being contained in the cabs the temperatures must be kept low so that it does not overheat. From what I have been told, once the outside has be redone for all the trains they will be going back for a full interior refurbishment. This hopefully will include new materials throughout and a resurfacing or replacement of all the plastics.

nace888

They have actually started a refurbishment project. Blue was the first as it got a full top to bottom repaint, and monorail orange is almost back in service (doing testing this afternoon) after it was pulled out for the same thing. Orange, however, also received full A/C replacement front to rear. Another note, the cab A/C is actually more important than the ones in the cars, not that the ones in the cars should not be working, but with the new automation computer being contained in the cabs the temperatures must be kept low so that it does not overheat. From what I have been told, once the outside has be redone for all the trains they will be going back for a full interior refurbishment. This hopefully will include new materials throughout and a resurfacing or replacement of all the plastics.
This would be awesome!! Even knowing that they're getting their long overdue overhaul is amazing. Perhaps you can suggest they bring back the D Logo? ;)

Figment2005

If 3 shoes are being knocked off 2 trains, it does sound like the electric rail was out of joint and impacting the shoes at some obtuse angle. Though if the rail had to be corrected for this, I'm surprised the monorails in general were back in service so fast. Considering any work on those lines seems to run as a snail's pace.
Not really. If you look closely at the bar you will notice that it isn't just one large piece, but multiple smaller pieces joined together. It is actually quite quick to replace. The 24 delay in operation was most likely due to them wanting to inspect the entirety of the line to be sure nothing else is loose before they put the trains back on.

Figment2005

The carrier moves... but all such systems have limits of movement, plus, they usually are limited in the axis they are intended to move. So if a impact happens along the wrong axis of movement.. rips you will get.
Correct. Its axis is towards and away from the beam not forward and backward.

nace888

The logos are coming back with the paint jobs. Most of the trains have them, but there are a few where the D's did get removed and never replaced until now.
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Since this is the case, did Lime get it's Blue Deltas back? I saw a (what I thought was recent) picture of Lime with blue deltas.

Monorail_Orange

Good to hear. The only reason i mentioned less "cab" (cockpit) a/c and more "car" (passenger compartment) a/c had to do with the mandate that it not be so cold as to form condensation on the windshield - which, IIRC, was one of the mandates to come out of the NTSB investigation.

Figment2005

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Since this is the case, did Lime get it's Blue Deltas back? I saw a (what I thought was recent) picture of Lime with blue deltas.
Lime doesn't have it's blue deltas. Not sure if that is the plan to return or not. I guess we will see when it is her turn in the paint shop.

s8film40

Lime doesn't have it's blue deltas. Not sure if that is the plan to return or not. I guess we will see when it is her turn in the paint shop.
You just need to find the paint guys and repeatedly mention how they're painting the blue back on when it gets re-painted. Eventually they'll believe it and when the time comes just do it.
The cabs have defoggers as well.
Yeah, but in the summer it's too hot for that.

nace888

Of course. Yellow is probably the worst one as there are literally many different shades that can be seen.
Just saying... XD
monorail-red-at-disney.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom