Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

21stamps

This incident isn't by any means an indication of a reduction in maintenance. In fact collector shoes ripping off has rarely, but always occurred. However it's clear to those who pay attention that there has been an effective reduction in maintenance. I've seen this personally. A clean and shiny monorail or lack thereof isn't a direct indication of this as well but it is an indication nonetheless. Yes regular safety checks take place and I'm sure every or at least most rules in place are being followed. These trains have aged a lot and the maintenance hasn't kept up. If someone is willing to cut corners keeping things looking nice they're almost always willing to cut corners keeping things running properly, these things just go hand in hand. Most importantly there's a large lack of pride in work. There is an amazingly huge difference between a maintenance person who cares and one who doesn't. A maintenance person who cares won't let a train look the way some of these look. They're not going to clean them, but they're not going to leave things loose, cracked or ripped. A maintenance person who doesn't care is simply looking for the quickest route to be able to say the job is done so they can go back to smoking a cigarette out back and talking with their coworkers. A lot of these guys get frustrated and eventually stop caring because those in charge above them are cutting corners as well and making decisions to get they're job done as quickly and efficiently (cheaply) as possible.

No, that's not always true.

Here's an example-
This drives me absolutely nuts, why they chose to paint a wooden floor outside, I have no idea. Seriously drives me crazy. It's the only attraction that has this issue. This ride has been continuously running since 1972.

IMG_0553.PNG

However, this is the daily safety procedure...as well as mechanics walking each coaster every single morning.

There are many safety features that go into keeping you safe on each and every ride at Kings Island. From the maintenance inspections every morning before park opening to the countless hours of training that each ride associate receives prior operating the ride.

Every morning before a ride can run test cycles, the Kings Island maintenance team looks over everything. From making sure the seatbelts are in good working order, all the way down to each nut and bolt on the train. If anything doesn’t look how it should, the mechanics correct the problem and continue their inspection. Once all parts are approved, the test cycles begin. Maintenance will run what is called a Blocks Test to ensure all safety features are working properly. Blocks tests include trying to dispatch a train with an unlocked restraint or the loading gates open, trying to dispatch a train to an area that another train is already in, and making sure the train doesn’t dispatch when the dual-dispatch button isn’t being pressed. When the mechanics complete their blocks test, the ride operators perform the test again to double check each safety feature. The ride operators performing this test aren’t new kids on the block. They’ve been around the ride for multiple seasons, have worked hundreds of hours at that ride and know it like the back of their hand.

These safety features are controlled by the programmable logic controllers, or the PLC. The PLC controls everything on the ride. The regulate the ride’s speed, ensure that no two trains come too close to each other and alert operators of any technical glitches or track obstructions. The PLC eliminates the possibility of the ride leaving the station with an unsecured restraint or the ride attendant forgetting to apply the brakes.

I spend a lot of time at this park, with my child. Some days we go for an hour, ride 3 rides and leave. Some days we spend 3 hours, somedays we stay from morning to close. I do not think whitewashing that has worn away has anything to indicate that I am putting either one of our lives at risk while there.

Disney has a budget MUCH larger than the park I am quoting. I can not believe that their safety standards, with a much higher volume of people, and the some of the type of people they attract (meaning scared if anything goes wrong), would have any less rigid procedure than the one above.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

That's fair. I just made a comment to a park employee, a month or so ago, about how I wish a specific coaster was repainted every year. It isn't, and sometimes standing in line I really notice the cosmetic wear.. but I don't doubt the safety of the coaster itself because of cosmetics.
Vortex???

s8film40

No, that's not always true.

Here's an example-
This drives me absolutely nuts, why they chose to paint a wooden floor outside, I have no idea. Seriously drives me crazy. It's the only attraction that has this issue.

View attachment 211322

However, this is the daily safety procedure...as well as mechanics walking each coaster every single morning.

There are many safety features that go into keeping you safe on each and every ride at Kings Island. From the maintenance inspections every morning before park opening to the countless hours of training that each ride associate receives prior operating the ride.

Every morning before a ride can run test cycles, the Kings Island maintenance team looks over everything. From making sure the seatbelts are in good working order, all the way down to each nut and bolt on the train. If anything doesn’t look how it should, the mechanics correct the problem and continue their inspection. Once all parts are approved, the test cycles begin. Maintenance will run what is called a Blocks Test to ensure all safety features are working properly. Blocks tests include trying to dispatch a train with an unlocked restraint or the loading gates open, trying to dispatch a train to an area that another train is already in, and making sure the train doesn’t dispatch when the dual-dispatch button isn’t being pressed. When the mechanics complete their blocks test, the ride operators perform the test again to double check each safety feature. The ride operators performing this test aren’t new kids on the block. They’ve been around the ride for multiple seasons, have worked hundreds of hours at that ride and know it like the back of their hand.

These safety features are controlled by the programmable logic controllers, or the PLC. The PLC controls everything on the ride. The regulate the ride’s speed, ensure that no two trains come too close to each other and alert operators of any technical glitches or track obstructions. The PLC eliminates the possibility of the ride leaving the station with an unsecured restraint or the ride attendant forgetting to apply the brakes.

I spend a lot of time at this park, with my child. Some days we go for an hour, ride 3 rides and leave. Some days we spend 3 hours, somedays we stay from morning to close. I do not think whitewashing that has worn away has anything to indicate that I am putting either one of our lives at risk while there.

Disney has a budget MUCH larger than the park I am quoting. I can not believe that their safety standards, with a much higher volume of people, and the some of the type of people they attract (meaning scared if anything goes wrong), would have any less rigid procedure than the one above.
Sure they have rigid procedures. Rigid procedures aren't everything though. Cosmetic issues are a sign of cutting corners, not directly related. The point is something not being painted doesn't directly mean that it's unsafe but rather is an indication of the quality of work and more importantly the work ethic of the company as a whole. The maintenance person who when fixing a door decides the door access panel is a little too worn and needs to be replaced is far more likely to have done a thorough and better job fixing the door. The maintenance manager who takes pride in his department's work is far more likely to allow that maintenance person to spend some extra time and do the job right and maybe keep somebody on shift in overtime to cover for him. The executive who cares about the safety and maintenance of the company is far more likely not to reprimand that manager for going over budget to fix some things the right way.

I've seen all this first hand. I've called in minor issues on a train and had a maintenance person end up dissembling half the cab while I drove as they uncovered problem after problem but insisted on fixing things the right way. I've also seen serious things be dismissed and saved for the next shift.

Let me give you an example. One day a monorail was coming into service and had a door indicate it was open. The sensor was bad. Now the right thing would have been to replace the sensor. Someone decided since it was a cab door the pilot would be there and would know if it opened and so disconnecting the sensor would solve the problem and the next shift could fix it. All was fine until the driver switched ends to take the train back for the night. The door didn't quite stay closed and flung open as the train exited the GF station. Door was ripped backwards by the railing and train went on its way with no indication of any problems.

Unfortunately in my time there as I noticed the cosmetic issues go unnadressd I also noted the same shift in how maintenance issues were handled. Add to that ever increasing procedures that come about after every accident all without additional staffing and these things compound themselves.

21stamps

Sure they have rigid procedures. Rigid procedures aren't everything though. Cosmetic issues are a sign of cutting corners, not directly related. The point is something not being painted doesn't directly mean that it's unsafe but rather is an indication of the quality of work and more importantly the work ethic of the company as a whole. The maintenance person who when fixing a door decides the door access panel is a little too worn and needs to be replaced is far more likely to have done a thorough and better job fixing the door. The maintenance manager who takes pride in his department's work is far more likely to allow that maintenance person to spend some extra time and do the job right and maybe keep somebody on shift in overtime to cover for him. The executive who cares about the safety and maintenance of the company is far more likely not to reprimand that manager for going over budget to fix some things the right way.

I've seen all this first hand. I've called in minor issues on a train and had a maintenance person end up dissembling half the cab while I drove as they uncovered problem after problem but insisted on fixing things the right way. I've also seen serious things be dismissed and saved for the next shift.

Let me give you an example. One day a monorail was coming into service and had a door indicate it was open. The sensor was bad. Now the right thing would have been to replace the sensor. Someone decided since it was a cab door the pilot would be there and would know if it opened and so disconnecting the sensor would solve the problem and the next shift could fix it. All was fine until the driver switched ends to take the train back for the night. The door didn't quite stay closed and flung open as the train exited the GF station. Door was ripped backwards by the railing and train went on its way with no indication of any problems.

Unfortunately in my time there as I noticed the cosmetic issues go unnadressd I also noted the same shift in how maintenance issues were handled. Add to that ever increasing procedures that come about after every accident all without additional staffing and these things compound themselves.

Maybe, but I disagree. Our park is extremely clean, great landscaping, rarely will you even see trash, I have a ton of respect for Matt Ouimet and believe that he cares about each and every one of his parks. You can see his Disney influence on even the employees.. most of them go out of their way to help the customers, always smiling and friendly. The GM of KI is wonderful as well. He takes great pride in his park.
The photo I posted is the oddball.. which is why it drives me so crazy.

I don't think parks, not even Disney, can do all cosmetic maintenance at once.. eventually it does get done, but the sheer number of people will create wear on a consistent basis. If there was trash everywhere- then yes, I would say the execs are lacking..and it shows that they don't really care, but a little paint, worn doors? Not indicative of a larger problem in my eyes.

I haven't seen that park in person for 20+ years. But from online videos some rides look scarier now.

The Vortex turned 30 this year.. I remember riding it on it's opening day. Makes me feel so old.lol. The Racers, Beast, and Vortex were extremely rough last year to the point where I needed to have Advil on hand.. I don't know if that's my age showing, or if they just became a little more rough over the years.. I noticed that they didn't feel that way this year though, maybe I'm numb now?lol

Last edited:

matt9112

Regardless of the actual part that came off, the fact that the fiberglass is what gave way make me wonder if there was specific damage to that area, or is this a sign that the current shells have reached the end of their practical lifespan.

they reached the end of there life span 10 years ago or more.....

s8film40

Maybe, but I disagree. Our park is extremely clean, great landscaping, rarely will you even see trash, I have a ton of respect for Matt Ouimet and believe that he cares about each and every one of his parks. You can see his Disney influence on even the employees.. most of them go out of their way to help the customers, always smiling and friendly. The GM of KI is wonderful as well. He takes great pride in his park.
The photo I posted is the oddball.. which is why it drives me so crazy.
I always heard really great things about Matt Ouimet. He didn't really fit in well in the corporate side of Disney for most of the reasons you mention. Also an executive at Disney really has very little connection to the parks. They meet with department heads who themselves aren't even really that hands on with the parks. They're job mostly consists of making big decisions in meetings.

matt9112

They could definitely do work on the trains at night, after system closure. The beam though, they can't, because it goes right by their three most expensive resorts. So any beam work has to be during the day and results in closures of the system. Its a definite problem, especially since they can't move guests from TTC to MK efficiently enough without the monorail.

I assume night work is much more expensive than closing the beam earlier.....disney is all about that money money money

Monorail_Orange

It was ripped off. The part was not faulty.
Agreed, given the additional information since posted, especially that blue lost two additional shoes and Yellow also lost one, this sounds far more like an outside force acting upon the shoe and the fiberglass it was mounted to. And, more likely than not, that outside force had something to do with damage to the bus bar. I don't believe this incident, in and of itself, marks a lack of maintenance on the trains, nor does it even indicate the time has come to replace the shells (unlike I stated in my earlier post). Unfortunately, the trains' own appearance, inside and out, screams about the lack of care they have received in recent years. I would like to see that trend reversed, starting with a thorough cleaning, and a total replacement or at least proper operation of the trains' a/cs. (Albeit, sorry pilot's, not in the cab.)

On a different note, its interesting to hear that there is a possibility of a runaway monorail, back before the automation program, i understood (And once even had a pilot demonstrate to me during a cab ride) that there was a "dead man's switch" on the console that went off at random intervals that would automatically cut power and apply brakes if not activated. Also, at that time, MAPO would also e-stop the train for overspeed or block infringement (unless in override, like what happened in the incident that cost the pilot his life a few years back.)

ABQ

If 3 shoes are being knocked off 2 trains, it does sound like the electric rail was out of joint and impacting the shoes at some obtuse angle. Though if the rail had to be corrected for this, I'm surprised the monorails in general were back in service so fast. Considering any work on those lines seems to run as a snail's pace.

Monorail_Orange

If 3 shoes are being knocked off 2 trains, it does sound like the electric rail was out of joint and impacting the shoes at some obtuse angle. Though if the rail had to be corrected for this, I'm surprised the monorails in general were back in service so fast. Considering any work on those lines seems to run as a snail's pace.
From what I can remember, as a Guest, bus bar repairs are relatively routine and expedient, and do not require an extensive downtime. Even after Hurricane Charley, where several trees fell against the Epcot line between TTC and Epcot, the beam was back in service the day after the storm passed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ripped off, fell off...the shoe is supposed to be somewhat flexible owing to the nature of a piece of copper/steel scooting along a bus bar with huge amperage transferring between the two. Somewhere, the flexibility was lost. I'd like to see just what it was that "ripped" the shoe off the train along with a fairly large chunk of fiberglass.

s8film40

Ripped off, fell off...the shoe is supposed to be somewhat flexible owing to the nature of a piece of copper/steel scooting along a bus bar with huge amperage transferring between the two. Somewhere, the flexibility was lost. I'd like to see just what it was that "ripped" the shoe off the train along with a fairly large chunk of fiberglass.
I've always heard that the reason for the carbon pads on the shoes is that the current alone is strong enough to rip the shoe off.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The carrier moves... but all such systems have limits of movement, plus, they usually are limited in the axis they are intended to move. So if a impact happens along the wrong axis of movement.. rips you will get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom