Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
71-4-12-9f10-marge-vs-the-monorail4.jpg

Smiley/OCD

Not to mention a power failure leaving guests stranded in a stuff gondola for hours in the air.
At Six Flags Great Adventure, the skyride there (like the old ride @ WDW) has a VW diesel engine that they will use to get all the riders down...I'm SURE WDW has a "plan B" for just that sort of emergency

raven

Sure, to an extent. I've seen it. And some people truly flat out don't care. But people know the pay rate before they're hired, so if they make the argument "I'm not paid enough to do a 10 minute checklist correctly," then they should have never taken the job in the first place.
Oh, buddy. There's obviously a lot that you don't know about theme park employees. That would be the obvious answer but in reality it's a whole other story. Thousands get hired, are trained, then do the bare minimum to get by and usually management says nothing to them so they don't care. It's not all pixie dust on the other side. ;)

Cesar R M

My point is.. I would like someone to admit/confirm, that there probably isn't a chance of a runaway monorail or a disabled dangerous monorail that just merrily continues on it's route, unknown to all, and putting everyone in danger.
I actually wonder the same. Isnt the automation supposed to remove all human errors on these kind of events?
but if the automated system does NOT detect these kind of malfunctions, thing go could go BAD.
Specially if it takes someone to call the control center room to SHUT DOWN the damaged monorail...

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
CMs are trained to not take on situations themselves but to contact their chain of command or emergency services.

More than likely the CM probably just didn't realize how literal the guy was. These people hear thousands of stupid people statements a week
Thank you.

21stamps

I actually wonder the same. Isnt the automation supposed to remove all human errors on these kind of events?
but if the automated system does NOT detect these kind of malfunctions, thing go could go BAD.
Specially if it takes someone to call the control center room to SHUT DOWN the damaged monorail...

I wish I knew the answer, I don't think anybody here can answer that.

natatomic

Oh, buddy. There's obviously a lot that you don't know about theme park employees. That would be the obvious answer but in reality it's a whole other story. Thousands get hired, are trained, then do the bare minimum to get by and usually management says nothing to them so they don't care. It's not all pixie dust on the other side. ;)

I've been working there for nearly 8 years. I am well aware of the wide variety of people that come and go through the company. That still doesn't change the expectation of the job. Nor does it mean every "theme park employee" is doing a half-@$$ job just because there are some that do the bare minimum. (I don't care what company you work for, there are terrible employees everywhere, whether they get paid minimum wage or more, but the bad ones don't represent the company as a whole). You make it sound like people are luckily to escape Disney alive on a daily basis due to bad employees. Granted, people die on property occasionally, but people die everywhere, and there's no grave danger just from stepping foot inside the park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Assuming that the piece that fell off was a bus bar shoe, since that's what it looks like, I can't imaging a driver having any more knowledge of it happening then an automated system would. It's unlikely the driver would see it happening, so they only way they would know is if there was an indicator of some sort in the cockpit in which case an automated system would have access to that same sensor. The only other way is that someone reports it to the tower. If there is a driver the tower would call the driver and tell them to stop, if it's automated they would send a signal to the automation system to shut it down.,

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Dialetric Breakdown is a concern when there are poor paths to ground available. This isn't the case here.. and you sitting in a gondola do not represent any better path for the current to go anywhere. You are a dead-end because are you are at the same potential as the rest of the gondola. Even if arcing did goto the gondola, the current will flow in the gondola structure to the grounded cable to the towers or arc to something else instead of trying to arc between the interior through you to... what? Out the windows to something outside the gondola? Arc across the gondola interior... arcing open air.. instead of flowing through the conductive gondola itself?

Please stop this foolishness.

:joyfull:

andysol

This guy sounds like a real peach.

Not to go too much more off topic on this unnecessary subject- but thought this might make some people chuckle.
The Alvey talk made me remember that TPR has a thread on seaworld San Antonio- so I went to see the new San Antonio wavebreaker ride and saw the little man child going on a tirade- then remembered he used to pimp his forum over here Every time he got on.

His 2nd most recent post:
Nope. They aren't. They are mine. I don't mind you re-posting them, but some credit would have been nice. The full report can be found here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61014
His tirade last week:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1800744#p1800744

That should give you a nice nugget as to the type of guy he is- if you even needed evidence. :p

raven

I've been working there for nearly 8 years. I am well aware of the wide variety of people that come and go through the company. That still doesn't change the expectation of the job. Nor does it mean every "theme park employee" is doing a half-@$$ job just because there are some that do the bare minimum. (I don't care what company you work for, there are terrible employees everywhere, whether they get paid minimum wage or more, but the bad ones don't represent the company as a whole). You make it sound like people are luckily to escape Disney alive on a daily basis due to bad employees. Granted, people die on property occasionally, but people die everywhere, and there's no grave danger just from stepping foot inside the park.
Not making it sound bad at all. Just don't want people to believe it's all Magic and Fairy Tales working there. A job is a job, I get it. But when Disney will basically hire anyone then they will get every kind of personality. Some people just want a job and could care less about checklists, proper ways of doing tasks or even following safety procedures. To some, it's just a job. But often management isn't around or even step in to correct their behavior and these employees do the same things day after day, year after year. And no, a Disney recruiter doesn't know everything about each and every role in the company. They just go over a list of typical daily requirements with the applicant before they hire them. So CMs don't know everything about what their roles will entail the moment they take the job.

Nubs70

Dialetric Breakdown is a concern when there are poor paths to ground available. This isn't the case here.. and you sitting in a gondola do not represent any better path for the current to go anywhere. You are a dead-end because are you are at the same potential as the rest of the gondola. Even if arcing did goto the gondola, the current will flow in the gondola structure to the grounded cable to the towers or arc to something else instead of trying to arc between the interior through you to... what? Out the windows to something outside the gondola? Arc across the gondola interior... arcing open air.. instead of flowing through the conductive gondola itself?

Please stop this foolishness.
Gondolas are the same as a bird on a wire.

21stamps

Not making it sound bad at all. Just don't want people to believe it's all Magic and Fairy Tales working there. A job is a job, I get it. But when Disney will basically hire anyone then they will get every kind of personality. Some people just want a job and could care less about checklists, proper ways of doing tasks or even following safety procedures. To some, it's just a job. But often management isn't around or even step in to correct their behavior and these employees do the same things day after day, year after year. And no, a Disney recruiter doesn't know everything about each and every role in the company. They just go over a list of typical daily requirements with the applicant before they hire them. So CMs don't know everything about what their roles will entail the moment they take the job.

So are you saying that Disney has entry level employees in charge of inspecting the rides daily? This is the wdw maintenance team, the same people who are checking your seatbelt?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom