Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

Cesar R M

No but if you are on the ATT network and dial 112 you will be routed to the 911 local network
That is useful!
I wonder if this works for me.. since AT&T pretty much now covers my entire country too (free roaming, same data plans, no extra charges when going to the US).

What happens when you're in a car with a fiberglass roof or a convertible with the top up that gets hit by lightning? I'll wait while you Google it. o_O

Humidity conducts and carries electricity, even at a lower potential.
Wouldnt the cables actually attract the lightning and thus redirecting it to the towers away from the gondolas?

raven

So are you saying that Disney has entry level employees in charge of inspecting the rides daily? This is the wdw maintenance team, the same people who are checking your seatbelt?
Nah, just saying that management could use some weeding and retraining. A few kicks in the rear or boots out the door might just tighten things up.

Cesar R M

Don't worry, it will come around to stock buy-backs being at fault.
its-a-conspiracy.jpg

LOL...I keep forgetting that everyone one here expects perfection when they go to WDW...perfection is only in Heaven (where I hope to be @ 113!!)
For the price, people sure would expect so HAH

Cesar R M

Assuming that the piece that fell off was a bus bar shoe, since that's what it looks like, I can't imaging a driver having any more knowledge of it happening then an automated system would. It's unlikely the driver would see it happening, so they only way they would know is if there was an indicator of some sort in the cockpit in which case an automated system would have access to that same sensor. The only other way is that someone reports it to the tower. If there is a driver the tower would call the driver and tell them to stop, if it's automated they would send a signal to the automation system to shut it down.,
People mentioned seeing sparks, smoke and the thing vibrating more than normal. So my guess is that an experienced driver WOULD KNOW when something is amiss.

Cesar R M

Not to go too much more off topic on this unnecessary subject- but thought this might make some people chuckle.
The Alvey talk made me remember that TPR has a thread on seaworld San Antonio- so I went to see the new San Antonio wavebreaker ride and saw the little man child going on a tirade- then remembered he used to pimp his forum over here Every time he got on.

His 2nd most recent post:

His tirade last week:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1800744#p1800744

That should give you a nice nugget as to the type of guy he is- if you even needed evidence. :p
holy crap.. how the hell this guy still has people following him?

Plus that website looks like something barfed in the 90's during the Geocities/myspace disaster.

But anyway... again, that person seems to have some serious mental issues regarding ego and grandeur syndrome.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Robb Alvey used to seem like a decent guy around 10 years ago, then I don't know if the stress of running a message board and having trips and videos around the world constantly got to him or what but now yes, he just seems like an a-hole to everyone who doesn't agree 100% with him on everything.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Robb Alvey used to seem like a decent guy around 10 years ago, then I don't know if the stress of running a message board and having trips and videos around the world constantly got to him or what but now yes, he just seems like an a-hole to everyone who doesn't agree 100% with him on everything.
Power -> corruption

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Dialetric Breakdown is a concern when there are poor paths to ground available. This isn't the case here.. and you sitting in a gondola do not represent any better path for the current to go anywhere. You are a dead-end because are you are at the same potential as the rest of the gondola. Even if arcing did goto the gondola, the current will flow in the gondola structure to the grounded cable to the towers or arc to something else instead of trying to arc between the interior through you to... what? Out the windows to something outside the gondola? Arc across the gondola interior... arcing open air.. instead of flowing through the conductive gondola itself?

Please stop this foolishness.
maxresdefault.jpg

Movielover

Remember what happened with Son of Beast.

Son of Beast was flawed from the moment it was built. Paramount hired The Rollercoaster Corporation of America which was very inexperience when it came to coaster building. They proceeded to change aspects of the design during construction. It should be noted that problems first started occurring during construction when part of the lift structure collapsed during winter.The problem came about because they under supported the double helix when compared to the forces caused by the heavy trains PTC used due to the loop. The actual incident happened because the structure shifted on itself because of those forces, cause a "bump" to occur in the track in the helix. When the train hit the "bump" it caused severe whiplash to occur. When Cedar Fair reopened the ride they adjusted the helix structure as much as they could and added lighter trains to decrease the forces put on the track. Unfortunately those lighter trains meant the loop had to be removed.

Scuttle

Two words that TDO has never heard of.....preventive maintenance. Sadly instead of following those two words and actually spending a little cash they'll surely put nets up over the high volume places.

I hate frivolous lawsuits but this seems to be a case of where it's actually fitting. A business should be punished for clearly ignoring maintenance issues on a mass transport system.

Where's Slippin Jimmy when you need him?

raven

Son of Beast was flawed from the moment it was built. Paramount hired The Rollercoaster Corporation of America which was very inexperience when it came to coaster building. They proceeded to change aspects of the design during construction. It should be noted that problems first started occurring during construction when part of the lift structure collapsed during winter.The problem came about because they under supported the double helix when compared to the forces caused by the heavy trains PTC used due to the loop. The actual incident happened because the structure shifted on itself because of those forces, cause a "bump" to occur in the track in the helix. When the train hit the "bump" it caused severe whiplash to occur. When Cedar Fair reopened the ride they adjusted the helix structure as much as they could and added lighter trains to decrease the forces put on the track. Unfortunately those lighter trains meant the loop had to be removed.
Rode that ride twice, once on the original with the loop and the other time after the changes. Both times it killed my back, even in younger years. I dreaded those helix's. :confused:

Figment2005

People mentioned seeing sparks, smoke and the thing vibrating more than normal. So my guess is that an experienced driver WOULD KNOW when something is amiss.
Many times yes, but if the issue is either out of view of the mirrors or on a car that is not directly under the driver, such as this, then it could be easily unnoticed. From what I have been told it was someone from the platform that noticed the problem and halted the movement.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Two words that TDO has never heard of.....preventive maintenance. Sadly instead of following those two words and actually spending a little cash they'll surely put nets up over the high volume places.

So you're saying WDW has never ever done any sort of preventive maintenance ever? Considering how the whole place isn't crashing down constantly over the decades, then WDW must be the luckiest corporation in the world. It truly is magical!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That is useful!
I wonder if this works for me.. since AT&T pretty much now covers my entire country too (free roaming, same data plans, no extra charges when going to the US).

Wouldnt the cables actually attract the lightning and thus redirecting it to the towers away from the gondolas?

If everything's wet, everything conducts electricity. Living in Florida, I've personally seen lots of lightning including strikes on my house. Lightning doesn't always dissipate across a single path, sometimes it follows multiple paths to ground. I've also known someone who was struck indirectly inside his car on the road even though the car sat on 4 rubber wheels. It's not black and white. Lighting protection devices protect by creating a faraday cage around anything that they're installed on and providing multiple direct paths to ground. Most gondola cars are faraday cages as well which helps protect the people in them, but not all of them. My money is that Disney does not run them during storms, but we'll see how that plays out.

NormC

I would gladly ride the gondola in a lightning storm. It is a grounded system. The main reason they stop operating is in case there is a power failure. Wouldn't want all those passenger hanging around waiting for power to be restored.

21stamps

Hey, it was way better than the end of Mystic Timbers. But I digress.

My kid upon finding out #whatsintheshed, after waiting for 10 months..asking every employee in the park last summer.. and 3.5 hours in line to find out what's in the the shed on opening night-

"That's IT?!!!!? THAT'S what is in the shed?!!!?"

We still love the ride though.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom