Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

21stamps

A little unrelated, but on the topic of actual emergencies..

I don't know about android, but iPhones have a place where you can store your name/blood type/if organ donor/emergency contact info, to be accessible from the lock screen.

I just found out about this recently, I added the info in my phone.. I hope everyone adds it to theirs as well. It can make a humongous difference, especially when contacting your loved ones. First responders/emergency rooms know to check for it.

s8film40

Not to mention that the caller usually finds themselves paying a fine or facing small amounts of jail time for abusing the 911 system...
Nope, no fines if the caller is legitimately unsure if the situation is an emergency or not. In fact I've called 911 many times when it was questionable and been thanked by the operator.

Interesting side note, at Disney for someone seeking medical attention scraped knee, small cut, etc. there is no other method in place outside of 911 to get attention for these. The reason is simple, they don't want some cast member making that decision

21stamps

Nope, no fines if the caller is legitimately unsure if the situation is an emergency or not. In fact I've called 911 many times when it was questionable and been thanked by the operator.

Interesting side note, at Disney for someone seeking medical attention scraped knee, small cut, etc. there is no other method in place outside of 911 to get attention for these. The reason is simple, they don't want some cast member making that decision

Has Disney closed their first aid stations?

I apologize for harping on this, I just think 911 is for life threatening emergencies. Not minor medical problems, or even most broken bones.
Anyway, I'm giving up now. Hopefully an irresponsible call never takes resources away from someone who's life may depend on it.

Last edited:

s8film40

No and those do cover things like that. Cast members are encouraged to ask a guest who falls, trips or otherwise hurts themselves if they need medical attention. In fact they are required to ask 3 times. If the guest responds that they would like attention they don't tell them to go walk to first aid, they're instructed to call 911.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I apologize for harping on this, I just think 911 is for life threatening emergencies. Not minor medical problems, or even most broken bones.
Anyway, I'm giving up now. Hopefully an irresponsible call never takes resources away from someone who's life may depend on it.

Any hopefully people aren't reluctant to call 911 when they believe public safety could be at risk instead of just hoping things will be ok.

21stamps

Any hopefully people aren't reluctant to call 911 when they believe public safety could be at risk instead of just hoping things will be ok.
No one ever said to leave it up to "hope". Just use common sense of where/who to report to.

If you see someone swerving on the Florida turnpike, you don't call 911. You dial *fhp.

Anyway, it's been beaten to death. I'll agree to disagree on what constitutes a 911 emergency, and if theme parks actually have plans and procedures when something like this monorail incident happens. Sometimes that plan may include contacting emergency services to carry out an evacuation.

s8film40

No one ever said to leave it up to "hope". Just use common sense of where/who to report to.

If you see someone swerving on the Florida turnpike, you don't call 911. You dial *fhp.

Anyway, it's been beaten to death. I'll agree to disagree on what constitutes a 911 emergency, and if theme parks actually have plans and procedures when something like this monorail incident happens. Sometimes that plan may include contacting emergency services to carry out an evacuation.
Actually just to clarify *FHP really isn't for emergency type situations like a car swerving. It's more for disabled vehicles accidents without injuries and that sort of stuff. It can be used but the FHP clearly states you should dial 911.

Coincidentally when I mentioned earlier that I've called 911 for situations that were questionable. One of them was actually that type of thing. A car was involved in a small accident and decided to try to get away without stopping and was swerving to get through traffic. The operator thanked me for calling.

I agree this has been beaten to death, but I think it's very important that people aren't afraid to use 911. The key point is if you're unsure the situation at hand is a true emergency don't take chances just make the call. No one would want to live with the thought that they could have done something but second guessed if it was really an emergency.

21stamps

Actually just to clarify *FHP really isn't for emergency type situations like a car swerving. It's more for disabled vehicles accidents without injuries and that sort of stuff. It can be used but the FHP clearly states you should dial 911.

Coincidentally when I mentioned earlier that I've called 911 for situations that were questionable. One of them was actually that type of thing. A car was involved in a small accident and decided to try to get away without stopping and was swerving to get through traffic. The operator thanked me for calling.

I agree this has been beaten to death, but I think it's very important that people aren't afraid to use 911. The key point is if you're unsure the situation at hand is a true emergency don't take chances just make the call. No one would want to live with the thought that they could have done something but second guessed if it was really an emergency.

In your accident example, yes. I wasn't referring to accidents.
I have called *fhp several times to report drivers who were doing so recklessly, or appeared to be falling asleep behind the wheel. Once, on the 18 mile stretch while on the phone with fhp, they stayed on with me until they were able to send someone. (I was too scared to pass the car).
I live in Ohio now and we have the same highway patrol number.. I've only used them once. This is always what I have been told to do in those type of scenarios.

It comes down to a personal judgement call I guess.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am not from Florida, if I saw someone swerving on the turnpike I would not waste my time trying to figure out how to call the highway patrol directly. I would call 911.

21stamps

@danlb_2000 @s8film40

This is from FHP's website. Your state should have one too. It's always best to check so you can store these numbers in your phone, or memorize them. Florida is actually great about having continuous signs along the highway with this number, but if you miss all of the signs, and don't know who to call.. then sure, dial 911. But it's good to know what is available in your own state, or one that you travel to often.

fhppatch-150x150.jpg
Star FHP (*347) is a cellular phone program used by motorists to report drunk drivers, traffic crashes, stranded or disabled motorists, or any suspicious incidents occurring on Florida roadways. Motorists who dial *FHP from their cellular phones are able to contact the nearest FHP communications center free of charge, courtesy of participating Florida cellular phone companies.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

With all due respect to everyone on here in a state of panic, I guess you guys have never ridden Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, or the NYC subway system...RELAX, take a deep breath, and look at the big picture...for the amount of riders that use the monorails since it opened, I think the record is very good...NOT exceptional, but very good. The cars are NOT going to fall off the rails, it sits on all 3 sides of the beam. There were NY subway cars that were almost 70 years old still functional...there were NJ Transit rail cars running on the Morris & Essex line that were built in the 20's, used until the late 90's. The WDW railroad's cars were built when? You don't think parts don't loosen up and fall off? I DO agree that there is a question of safety for the guests walking underneath IF it did hit someone in the parks, but it was an isolated incident. There's a better chance of an accident on a ride.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
They don't need to be faraday cages. They aren't the path to ground... so not at the lower potential... hence not attracting strikes.

Systems like these are usually shutdown to avoid having customers stranded in case of a ground failure... not for risk of cabins cooking customers.

Don't quote science you don't understand.

What happens when you're in a car with a fiberglass roof or a convertible with the top up that gets hit by lightning? I'll wait while you Google it. o_O

Humidity conducts and carries electricity, even at a lower potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom