Laptop Security...

RMJKS05

...As much as we wanna detach from reality, we're also thinking about bringing a laptop along. We're staying at POR. Any ideas / hints on what we can do to secure the laptop while we're enjoying the magic?

tigsmom

This question gets asked quite a bit and a quick search should bring up some threads.

This is what we did... the first time we used a security cable and a motion alarm and locked it to the hardware in the closet...that was a pain.
Now we just put it in the case and put it in the bottom drawer of the dresser. We have even left it on the table and it has never been touched at all. I've left my camera in the room too ( sitting on the printer dock/charger -boy was I mad) and when we got back it was still there and the room had been cleaned.

I know people who have locked them in their suitcases as well. Go with whatever makes you the most comfortable.

Upvote 0

pluto3198

The spouse goes to WDW quite a bit with all sorts of electronic doodads for work (employed by a sports-related member of the Disney family in Bristol CT) and has never had a problem. We have left the laptop on the desk and the Treo charging with no siisues.

Upvote 0

RMJKS05

Original Poster
I'm Sure...

...Y'all a right. I'm probably being more paranoid than I need to be. :)

I've always brought it on business trips. But, I never had occasion to leave it in my room.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I left my brand new laptop sitting on the table in my room, plugged in and with the high speed cable connected. Posted daily trip reports and never even thought about worrying when I went out.

I've never had a problem at Disney :sohappy:

Upvote 0

pkelley

Laptop security

I must also agree with others in this forum. I visit Disney World at least once a year and stays for a couple weeks at a time. I carry my laptop and several pieces of tech gear with me as I like to work from the room occassionally at night.

I have never had any problems with security. Occasionally they will dust the top of it and remove old drinks I have left on the table around it.

Very nice staff...I never worry at Disney.

Upvote 0

Iakona

As much as I would like to tell you not to worry a laptop is an expensive item and if it a work one then you don't wan to take any chances. While in the parks for the day I put mine in the safe. I have a Dell D600 and it fit easily. I am not disparaging Disney or the CMs, but a laptop is not something I would take a chance with just in case something weird happens like you not shutting the room door all the way. Locking it with a cable should suffice if it will not fit in the safe.

Upvote 0

steviej

i always stay in okw, and the most expensive thing i bring is my ipod. i leave it in the safe, but dont all resorts have safes? if so, try to fit it in there

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I go to POFQ all the time, and I always bring my laptop, camera, iPod and cell phone. I have absolutely no problems with any of them. If you lock your room, you will have no problems with mousekeeping. If you leave your door open, or you have lots of friends and family wandering in and out of your room, then you are apt to have security problems as well. Never leave your door unlocked. Other than that, you do NOT need to worry about any of your electronics in your locked room while you are out and about.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I brought my laptop on my last trip as well and just left it on the table in the room. I figured that Disney knows of every single person that will be entering my room, so if there is a problem they will probably know who it is. I also trust mousekeeping enough not to really worry that my PC would dissapear.

Upvote 0

imamouse

Iakona said:
As much as I would like to tell you not to worry a laptop is an expensive item and if it a work one then you don't wan to take any chances. While in the parks for the day I put mine in the safe. I have a Dell D600 and it fit easily. I am not disparaging Disney or the CMs, but a laptop is not something I would take a chance with just in case something weird happens like you not shutting the room door all the way. Locking it with a cable should suffice if it will not fit in the safe.

Which WDW resort has a safe large enough for a laptop?

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
tigger248 said:
I always lock mine in my suitcase. It's always been safe there.

ditto...

I have left mine out a few times though... and its been fine.

But I do tend to lock it in my suitcase, just before I head out to the parks though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom