Landscaping Downgrades at WDW

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Quick visit to Walt Disney World and one of the things that is very noticeable is the downgrade of landscaping at WDW. Almost all of the flower beds that I’ve seen so far are now filled with bushes and cheaper / easier to maintain greenery.

I want to be clear that landscaping is still well maintained and looks nice for what it is, but it’s still a huge downgrade to what they had previously and still have at Disneyland Resort.

MerlinTheGoat

In recent years, i've been noticing what seems to be a decline in sod maintenance as well. There are a lot more patches of yellow/brown grass nowadays. Or shabby areas that aren't properly manicured nor taken up and replaced when they get too ragged to maintain any further.

I hope their solution to this also isn't more astroturf either. In addition to the fake grass in MK's hub, most of the grass behind the Polynesian was also replaced with fake grass a few years ago. It's quite ugly in its own way.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Long gone are the days when even the smallest flower was selected specifically as part of the story a specific area was trying to tell. My parents, who aren't in tune with us "hyper fans", noticed a lack of landscaping on our recent trip earlier this year.

mlayton144

Quick visit to Walt Disney World and one of the things that is very noticeable is the downgrade of landscaping at WDW. Almost all of the flower beds that I’ve seen so far are now filled with bushes and cheaper / easier to maintain greenery.

I want to be clear that landscaping is still well maintained and looks nice for what it is, but it’s still a huge downgrade to what they had previously and still have at Disneyland Resort.
Disneyland? Where AstroTurf is the new grass?

James Alucobond

I honestly don’t get this impression much at all, though I do tend to go during the Arts or F&G seasons, which may dull my sensitivity to it. Over the years, there have been changes that I’ve liked more and changes I’ve liked less, but they always look cared for and generally just reflect changing sensibilities to my eye. For instance, I very much like the new trees and topiaries they added to the PeopleMover and CoP area of Tomorrowland fairly recently.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Disneyland? Where AstroTurf is the new grass?
Yeah…. Examples below. All taken this year.

There’s not that much turf in Disneyland…. Not even sure why that one random planter has it. Otherwise I can’t think of anywhere that does.

Attachments

• 9432B606-1757-429D-B252-33EC9BAFE4A6.jpeg
    9432B606-1757-429D-B252-33EC9BAFE4A6.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 3B4FFA22-37CA-4AC7-8710-6992028BEE5F.jpeg
    3B4FFA22-37CA-4AC7-8710-6992028BEE5F.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 66A9F8FC-4ED3-4013-9328-691CE591FACA.jpeg
    66A9F8FC-4ED3-4013-9328-691CE591FACA.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 7E8703A1-398C-4BE2-8D77-3260BC3F601D.jpeg
    7E8703A1-398C-4BE2-8D77-3260BC3F601D.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 6A62C4C8-A405-4471-92ED-AC82D0E1B942.jpeg
    6A62C4C8-A405-4471-92ED-AC82D0E1B942.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DCEA0CD6-4697-4DE4-83F8-4C33C38C97E8.jpeg
    DCEA0CD6-4697-4DE4-83F8-4C33C38C97E8.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 106
  • F81E188B-6F6B-4291-BCFB-6BCA255F2897.jpeg
    F81E188B-6F6B-4291-BCFB-6BCA255F2897.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 7FD20174-F95D-4E58-9612-B3B6F48F1061.jpeg
    7FD20174-F95D-4E58-9612-B3B6F48F1061.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 123

Kamikaze

Some of this is cost, some of it is laziness, and some of it has to do with the Company's stated stance on trying to be more climate conscious.

You decide what percentage of those 3 things are to blame for yourself.

Figments Friend

Reminds me of how sad it is to see the once beautiful landscaping and flower work that used to be over near the Imagination Pavillon, in the Magic Gardens.
I was recently reminded of this again earlier this week…

For some time the greenery and plantings that used to surround the famous ‘Leap Frog Fountains’ has been replaced with easier to maintain ( more like, easier to neglect…sorry…) stones.
Not the same ‘feel’ to that area with all the rocks….
Clashes IMO with the water features making it more of a hard scape instead of the originally intended ‘garden of the whimsical ‘.

Would love to see that area given a rethink…but then again, just about everything about the Imagination Pavillion could do with a rethink.

-

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
You decide what percentage of those 3 things are to blame for yourself.
Well I don’t think the landscapers woke up one day and decided to be lazy so I’ll knock that idea down. I didn’t realize planting flowers was a problem for the environment so I’m not sure I’m buying that either.

So….. I’ll take “what is cost cutting aka budget cuts” for $1,000 Alex.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
In the past few years on the Safaris at AK I have noticed a complete lack of cover from the back of house in certain areas. Where it all use to be very lush and impossible to see what you shouldn't has given way to large gaping holes in some places where you can see fencing, some equipment, and other things not usually found in the lands of rural Africa.

James Alucobond

I didn’t realize planting flowers was a problem for the environment so I’m not sure I’m buying that either.
It's that drought-tolerant and drought-resistant plants require less frequent watering, native plants require less human intervention and help support local ecosystems, and more judicious use of fertilizers and pesticides limits runoff, among other things.

castlecake2.0

To shed some light on this, Covid definitely played a part. During the closure and then phased reopening there just wasn’t the labor to do it, so a lot of gardens, most noticeably at resorts was filled in with perennials rather than labor intensive annuals. There was also a reduction in potted and hanging plants across property. Now I will say in the last few months I’ve seen an improvement. Hanging baskets have started reappearing around the parks and all the deluxe resorts seem to be back to their pre Covid horticulture packages. Wilderness Lodge got their butterfly garden back as well. Some areas in the last week that have caught my eye is Main Street is still missing the hanging baskets on the lamp posts and Coronado is also missing hanging baskets on the posts along the main promenade. What I am not sure on is who “pays” for it and/or requests the floral. Does horticulture determine who gets what or does the specific area need to bring it up?

mickEblu

Yeah…. Examples below. All taken this year.

There’s not that much turf in Disneyland…. Not even sure why that one random planter has it. Otherwise I can’t think of anywhere that does.

🚨🚨🚨!!! ✋

🌳👮🏻‍♂️🌳 Disneyland Planter Policeman here!

Do you know why you’re being stopped? There is actually much more astroturf at Disneyland unfortunately. The Mickey Floral lawn, almost every planter in Town Square, the left half of the hub, the Haunted Mansion lawn and the Storybookland Canal boats lawn are all astroturf. They are still doing a good job with flowers but I’ve been noticing them slipping lately. Look no further than the planters surrounding Tiana’s Palace that only have shrubs and wood chips. They got really cheap with the landscaping along the walking path to the parks too. They removed all the grass and just replaced it all with wood chips.

A23C03E0-531C-41FA-B061-97ADDA21CAC7.jpeg

BF9D6FDE-1799-4323-AB3A-8EDB549E7DBB.jpeg

Sheriff @TP2000 please feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Well I don’t think the landscapers woke up one day and decided to be lazy so I’ll knock that idea down.
I meant laziness on part of the Company, not the CMs.
I didn’t realize planting flowers was a problem for the environment so I’m not sure I’m buying that either.

So….. I’ll take “what is cost cutting aka budget cuts” for $1,000 Alex.
Yes, same as growing a grass lawn is terrible for the environment and in many drought areas they encourage people to replace their lawns with other types of materials or plants. A single plant that can be planted and not replaced every season like they do for the flower displays at WDW is obviously a much better thing for the enviornment.

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

I honestly don’t get this impression much at all, though I do tend to go during the Arts or F&G seasons, which may dull my sensitivity to it. Over the years, there have been changes that I’ve liked more and changes I’ve liked less, but they always look cared for and generally just reflect changing sensibilities to my eye. For instance, I very much like the new trees and topiaries they added to the PeopleMover and CoP area of Tomorrowland fairly recently.
I go there multiple times a week and haven’t gotten that impression either. Maybe it’s because we’re in a localized drought and everything is brown and crunchy near where I am… sod is still being replaced at Disney frequently. Flowers are still in all of the major/noticeable planters. I must admit, I haven’t seen any decrease in flowers, but then again, I’m not looking for it.

Interestingly, they’ve added the topiary that used to sit in front of MK for the 50th to the courtyard in front of the Yacht Club. It sat in front of the International gateway for a while as well, but it is now at the Yacht Club. The Lady and the Tramp topiary is at the Boardwalk’s main courtyard area.

IMG_3179.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom