Trip Report Land & Sea - Baja Style! - Complete

🎶And it's been a while🎶

Well here we are again after a pretty long Disney hiatus, minus a holiday resort-only visit.

In just a few weeks, we're off to the grand state of California! On this journey, we'll visit the Disneyland Resort and sail the Disney Wonder.

Here we are!
20211122_171646.jpg

As you can see (or sea - get it?) we're on a cruise. We have been cruising during the hiatus.

We've sailed Celebrity:
20211026_112754.jpg

If you haven't sailed Celebrity and you're looking for a bit more refined and adult (mostly-kid free) experience, this is the line for you. Plus, drinks are included. Lots of drinks. The food tastes better (for the most part) and you have a much better variety. The Edge class of ships are beautiful.

Then we hit this up:
20211123_091229.jpg

This was a true kids-free experience. The food is amazing! By far the best food I've ever had on a cruise ship. There's some really great outdoor spaces as well. They're working out new cruise line issues so there were some hiccups. Entertainment isn't great and the pool is miniscule. We also had the pleasure of running into a former DCL server we had on the Dream or Fantasy (I can't remember). It was an awesome experience.

We just finished up sailing on this lady:
20220218_075614.jpg

We liked Celebrity so much we sailed again on the Millennium. This is Celebrity's oldest ship (22 years I think) and there were some spots showing age, but I'll tell you, this in no way detracted from the experience. It's just been Revolutionized (refurbished in fancy terms) and most of the ship is looking great. Again, the food choices....

Embarkation Day Desserts
20220217_121250.jpg

This is what the dessert presentation looked like every single day.

If you're on the fence about Celebrity, do it.

Next up - our plans!

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
The suspense. Whale watching in an inflatable boat no less. 😂 At least we know you lived to tell the tale!
A legit pun!

Without further ado, here's the rest of our experience.

20220405_122712.jpg

20220405_122305.jpg

20220405_122713.jpg

We would see a lot of these things. Our boat captain and our guide would be radioed when a whale was seen surfacing. We'd race to that location. It was exhilarating. I love being on small boats in the water. The waves were significant. The guy in front of me wasn't really having it. At one point, a relative/friend beside him asked if he was having fun, and it was a big NOPE. 😂 I felt for him though. Seasickness is no joke.

Mr. Cool Hand Luke ain't bothered by nothing.
20220405_115459.jpg

So we're out here in the rocky ocean. Our eyes are peeled. What do we see?
This is not our video (unfortunately), but this is EXACTLY what we saw. Our whale wasn't as close, but still very close. Our whale came up completely out of the water, a spin, and splashed back down. Even our guide was shocked. Everyone was just quiet. It was amazing. I cried a bit because I never thought in a million years I'd get to see this.

This is what this guy or gal did next for at least 4 minutes. This is our video. Our guide said the breaching and tail slaps are a way to alert the other whales. You don't really realize how loud they are until you hear them hit the water.

Last edited:

fractal

A legit pun!

Without further ado, here's the rest of our experience.

View attachment 636905
View attachment 636909
View attachment 636910

We would see a lot of these things. Our boat captain and our guide would be radioed when a whale was seen surfacing. We'd race to that location. It was exhilarating. I love being on small boats in the water. The waves were significant. The guy in front of me wasn't really having it. At one point, a relative/friend beside him asked if he was having fun, and it was a big NOPE. 😂 I felt for him though. Seasickness is no joke.

Mr. Cool Hand Luke ain't bothered by nothing.
View attachment 636908

So we're out here in the rocky ocean. Our eyes are peeled. What do we see?
This is not our video (unfortunately), but this is EXACTLY what we saw. Our whale wasn't as close, but still very close. Our whale came up completely out of the water, a spin, and splashed back down. Even our guide was shocked. Everyone was just quiet. It was amazing. I cried a bit because I never thought in a million years I'd get to see this.

This is what this guy or gal did next for at least 4 minutes. This is our video. Our guide said the breaching and tail slaps are a way to alert the other whales. You don't really realize how loud they are until you hear them hit the water.

Awesome!

Sbk1234

The guy in front of me wasn't really having it. At one point, a relative/friend beside him asked if he was having fun, and it was a big NOPE. 😂 I felt for him though. Seasickness is no joke.
I suffer from sea sickness and it is the WORST feeling. Especially when it interferes with something you really want to enjoy!

I did manage to go whale watching in Hawaii and I have to say it was an incredible experience. Words can't adequately describe it. Like you, we saw the whales breaching. Some got fairly close to our boat. At one point a mother and calf swam under our boat. But at no time was it ever scary or did we think the whale could capsize the boat or anything like that.

Glad your trip turned out so nicely eventful.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Drinks before leaving Cabo and dinner.

Looks like a white sangria. I probably picked it up from the pool before heading to Crown and Fin.

20220405_164343.jpg

We stopped for beer before dinner at French Quarter Lounge.
IMG_3685.jpg

Day 3 dinner was at Tiana's Place once again. We just waited for the line to dissipate and then just walked to our table.

Tonight was pirates night and the menu was Pirates in the Caribbean. This is usually our Palo night.

At the previous night's dinner, we asked our server if we could get curry instead. He said yes, so the curry dishes replaced most of our meal. The pirate menu is probably the weakest of the menus in our opinion.

Johnny Cake with Mango Dip - I like some good cornbread. This wasn't it. It was dry Jiffy Mix.

IMG_3686.jpg

Tonight's wine.
IMG_3687.jpg

Beet salad, but I can't find a menu with it listed. If you like beets, then you'll like it. If you don't, they taste like dirt. I was ok with it.
IMG_3688.jpg

Sri Sumbhajee’s Vegetable Samosa with Potato Peas, Garlic, Cumin and Ginger served with Tamarind Chutney and a plain Yogurt Raita
IMG_3689.jpg

Now we move on to the curries. We asked for one meat and one vegetable. They were both served with basmati rice and a flour tortilla.

I asked the type of meat. Our server says beef. 🤨 Laura takes a bite. She slowly chews. The curry flavor is excellent. But then, what does she realize? She's eating 🐑. Lamb has a certain flavor. Luckily the flavor wasn't too overpowering, so I ate it and mostly enjoyed it. I'm just not a fan of lamb.
IMG_3690.jpg

This was our vegetarian curry. It almost had a vegetable soup type of flavor, but much tastier. I really enjoyed this dish.
IMG_3691.jpg

I'll be honest, the curries are probably some of the best food you can get in the main dining rooms.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Day 4 - We saw things and did stuff, but can't remember a bit of it. But what I do remember was dinner at Palo.

As fancy platinum members, you get a $45 credit/person, which translates to the prix fixe menu or up to $45 a la carte.

This is the outside area right off the elevators and stairwell. We always book the first available time which is usually when they open. There were a few couples waiting. We're not the only early eaters.

Palo Entrance.jpg

Palo Outside Area.jpg

This is walking inside.
Inside Palo.jpg

A little table decor. I really love the fresh flowers on the tables. This rose was perfect.
Palo Table Decor.jpg

We met our server, Julian (we are 99% sure on his name) from France, who was fairly new to DCL. I believe he said this was his first contract. He originally worked for a small French exploration cruise company. He was the assistant manager for onboard dining. He was hired on with DCL as a server in the MDR, but then applied for an opening at Palo and was hired. He was very good and personable. He was almost on par with David from Hungary.

A QR code was available, but we requested paper menus.

Palo Menu 1.jpg

Palo Menu 2.jpg

Palo Menu 3.jpg

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Our meal was excellent. The pacing was nice and Julian was attentive.

Sean ordered the right side of the prix fixe menu and I ordered a la carte.

We were presented with a pre-appetizer (amuse bouche 🧐) of gnocchi and some type of sauce.
Amuse bouches.jpg

Bread Service

Palo Bread Service.jpg

For our appetizers, we Buffalo Mozzarella, Baby Arugula Salad, and the Antipasto. I sure miss the antipasto cart.

mozz tom salad.jpg

Salad.jpg

Charcuterie.jpg

Again, these were all very delicious.

Sean ordered the beef tenderloin (aka The Palo) and I ordered the Piquant Dover Sole.

Palo Steak.jpg

This dish arrives looking like this:

Fish before fillet.jpg

Julian was in charge of of removing the fish from the bones. This takes some skill. I asked him how long it took him to master it. He said about 5 minutes from watching a video on the internet! 😂 He did very well for a 5-minute video. There was only one bone left in the fish.

Filleting fish.jpg

His first presentation:

Fish presentation.jpg

His second presentation:

Fish on my plate.jpg

The fish was better than the first time I had it on the Magic.

As we were eating our meal, the chef came out and spoke to us and asked us if we were enjoying out meal. It was a nice touch. This is the first time the chef has ever visited our table in Palo.

The one thing you don't get anymore in Palo is the palate cleanser between appetizers and main course, but we didn't miss it.

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
And, finally, dessert.

We ordered coffee service and the souffle.

Coffee Service.jpg

The coffee is no better or no worse than MDR. It pairs well with the souffle.

Souffle.jpg

I would love to make these at home. But, I have a track record of burning things.

The souffle was delicious. It's my favorite DCL dessert.

Our end-of-meal drink is usually a slushy apple prosecco. There were out of the apple and substituted with lime sherbet. It was fine.

Sherbert and prosecco.jpg

lostpro9het

My bride conveniently left out a fantastic conversation we had with Julian prior to our meal. He had asked about previous dining experiences and honed in on Remy. We were pretty blunt with him and expressed our opinions on Remy and French food particularly Remy French, that is. Julian, being french and probably far more sophisticated when it comes to dining, was a little shocked that we cared so little for Remy. This spun into me asking about his favorite French foods to which he described a dish of fried potatoes with cheese melted directly on the block that is then dredged over the potatoes. I immediately lamented that Remy should be serving that dish. I believe our conversation resulted in us getting a special visit from the head chef half way through out meal. He did not visit any other table the whole two hours we were there. We had a great experience overall and Julian was an excellent server who provided great conversation. We Wish it up in September and Im not super excited about the “new” Palo but hope we can give it a go.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My bride conveniently left out a fantastic conversation we had with Julian prior to our meal. He had asked about previous dining experiences and honed in on Remy. We were pretty blunt with him and expressed our opinions on Remy and French food particularly Remy French, that is. Julian, being french and probably far more sophisticated when it comes to dining, was a little shocked that we cared so little for Remy. This spun into me asking about his favorite French foods to which he described a dish of fried potatoes with cheese melted directly on the block that is then dredged over the potatoes. I immediately lamented that Remy should be serving that dish. I believe our conversation resulted in us getting a special visit from the head chef half way through out meal. He did not visit any other table the whole two hours we were there. We had a great experience overall and Julian was an excellent server who provided great conversation. We Wish it up in September and Im not super excited about the “new” Palo but hope we can give it a go.

Hmm. Julien may be Franco-Swiss (coming from the border region) What he described sounds like a mixture of raclette (cheese melted on the block and then poured over steamed potatoes and tartiflette - which probably is made with fried potatoes but I thought the cheese was heated onto the dish directly. With raclette, you would continually melt the cheese and dredge it on each potato as you eat it (it is made with small potatoes about 2-3 times the size of a cherry tomato)

lostpro9het

Hmm. Julien may be Franco-Swiss (coming from the border region) What he described sounds like a mixture of raclette (cheese melted on the block and then poured over steamed potatoes and tartiflette - which probably is made with fried potatoes but I thought the cheese was heated onto the dish directly. With raclette, you would continually melt the cheese and dredge it on each potato as you eat it (it is made with small potatoes about 2-3 times the size of a cherry tomato)
Raclette, that’s what he called it! Sounded awesome to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom