Land cleared by the TTC on the site of the Mediterranean Resort plot

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No I think you missed my point. I was simply stating that if the clearing was indeed for "sight lines" then it represents a poor decision and a clumsy mistake on the part of Disney. The sight line is unnecessary and even if it was it was cut in the wrong spot. This doesn't mean that thats not what it is intended for.

Yeah, it was certainly your point that got missed....

hokielutz

It's not really for line of sight, thats just what they are calling it. It accomplishes nothing as far as line of sight goes.

I really don't believe they clear cut a large section of trees, within sight of all guests, just to allow sight lines for Monorail pilots.... I mean.. what is MAPI for?

Starry9281

I really don't believe they clear cut a large section of trees, within sight of all guests, just to allow sight lines for Monorail pilots.... I mean.. what is MAPI for?

It's actually MAPO and yes, they are stupid enough to not only clear cut a large section but the wrong large section to allow for an unnecessary sight line. If they thought seeing over the short trees was a problem, how about demolishing the bus queue line roofs? They get in the way just as much as the trees did....which is to say, not at all. What about taking down the Contemporary? It's a very solid building. I can't see through it!!

I don't understand why people find it so hard to believe that Disney could be so stupid. We've all seen the decisions made over the past few years, all reactive, none proactive. And for all the reactive things that were done, how many actually solved the problem that supposedly caused a need for them? This is what they call "throwing money at the problem" or in this case a bulldozer, so they can say "Hey look, we did something!! Everything's ok now!"

board57796

26 is a very tough holdpoint to stop at, because the train is moving along at 40mph, so being able to see what color train is at 66 is very helpful, because if you see the color at 66 is the train ahead of you then you dont have to worry about having to stop at 26. however if the train at 66 is the train TWO ahead of you, youd better be getting on those brakes because once you realize that youve got about 1 second before your mAPO turns to amber, and if youre going 40mph its hard to stop for 26 unprepared. how could i make this stuff up?

The tops of the bus stops are not in the way, but the trees over there are, and if you'll notice they are all marked with stakes and a pink flag. Now you know what that means is going to happen. Like I said, why would anyone make this up? Its for sight-lines for monorail pilots, and it helps. That's all I'm going to say. The next time any of the doubters drive a monorail on the express beam they can post here and give their insight.....

toolsnspools

So when they bury the Yeti, will there be a service? :lookaroun

Point well taken. It's clear from the satelite shots that the trees were cut at some point before too. Whatever helps you guys stay safe on the beams is a good thing.

s8film40

The next time any of the doubters drive a monorail on the express beam they can post here and give their insight.....

I have driven a monorail on express. Just prior to the trees being cut I could see 66 just fine, perhaps you just didn't know where to look. The method you described of determining the color of the train at 66 to in turn determine if a train is at 45 is not really a completely reliable method. Since the trains have been repainted Lime and Yellow as well as Teal and Blue can be easily confused from that distance. The proper way to achieve visual clearance beyond 26 is to look at Pylon 45 when exiting TTC as well as watching the train ahead while you are in the TTC station to determine if it has crossed 45 or not. This used to be a big part of the training. This scenario would often be recreated (without a train at 66) during checkouts to ensure new pilots knew where to look to achieve visual clearance. Perhaps if Disney wanted to improve monorail operation it would be better to improve training instead of bulldozing trees.

board57796

Yes I know that you always need to be making visuals, which is why my overrun count currently stands at 0. Another reason they are clearing the trees there is so that a train can be seen holding at 45 before you even leave TTC. I've seen pilots holding improperly at 45 with their entire train inside the contemporary, making it impossible to make visuals on it, so it helps to have a little bit clearer path to see what is holding at 66. And yes with yellow/lime and teal/blue it does make it a bit more difficult, but that is why any little bit of help is appreciated.

And holding a train unannounced at 45 to see if the trainee stops at 26 is still a regular checkout move.

Look I don't even know why I am arguing about this. I think that what they did was nice and that it does help. If you don't that is totally fine. At least they are doing something.

s8film40

Another reason they are clearing the trees there is so that a train can be seen holding at 45 before you even leave TTC.

Ok I'm a little confused my understanding was that they were clearing trees in the Mediterranean site. How would this give you a better visual of Pylon 45, which is 50+ feet in the air and directly ahead of you when in the TTC station where there are no trees at all in the line of sight?

I've seen pilots holding improperly at 45 with their entire train inside the contemporary, making it impossible to make visuals on it,...
This is something that used to get you in trouble, not holding at hold points is something that can sometimes cause the MAPO system to work incorrectly, not to mention it's a real disservice to your fellow monorail pilot.

And holding a train unannounced at 45 to see if the trainee stops at 26 is still a regular checkout move.
That's good to hear.
Look I don't even know why I am arguing about this. I think that what they did was nice and that it does help. If you don't that is totally fine. At least they are doing something.

I agree with you it's nice, the point I was making is it really isn't necessary since you could very clearly see 66 anyway.

board57796

The trees on the plot of Med. have grown such that when standing at the front cab waiting to leave TTC, 45 has become obscured. No one used to even have to worry about 26 because you wouldn't even leave TTC since you could see the train at 45. That isn't the case anymore. I will try to get pictures from TTC of what I mean and PM them to you.

There's also a tree near pylon 77 on Ex that is gone, near 155 on Res that is gone and near 89 on Res, with more planned.

board57796

Am I the only one that is curious to know what "66" and "45" are exactly?!

Haha sorry. Look up the WDW Monorail system on Wikipedia and there should be a holdpoint map there I believe. Pylon 66 is where a train stops if the one ahead of it is in the MK station. 45 is where the train behind THAT would hold, and 26 is where the 4th train in line would hold. So the 4 Monorails on express would be at MK, 66, 45 and 26. It doesn't happen a lot because that would meanthe train at MK is either incredibly behind or having mechanical issues.

BrerFrog

Haha sorry. Look up the WDW Monorail system on Wikipedia and there should be a holdpoint map there I believe. Pylon 66 is where a train stops if the one ahead of it is in the MK station. 45 is where the train behind THAT would hold, and 26 is where the 4th train in line would hold. So the 4 Monorails on express would be at MK, 66, 45 and 26. It doesn't happen a lot because that would meanthe train at MK is either incredibly behind or having mechanical issues.

Thanks a lot! Now I can read your posts again and actually understand what you were discussing. :lol:

s8film40

The trees on the plot of Med. have grown such that when standing at the front cab waiting to leave TTC, 45 has become obscured. No one used to even have to worry about 26 because you wouldn't even leave TTC since you could see the train at 45. That isn't the case anymore. I will try to get pictures from TTC of what I mean and PM them to you.

There's also a tree near pylon 77 on Ex that is gone, near 155 on Res that is gone and near 89 on Res, with more planned.

That's interesting, I can't Imagine how a tree in the Mediterranean site could block your view of the Contemporary, maybe I'm just not visualizing it correctly. I would agree though if this is the case then it would be really helpful.

trr1

SCREW a Mediteranian Villa... Please, build a Deluxe themed to Fantasy Land - it's the only one that's missing:

Poly - Adventureland
Wilderness Lodge - Frontierland
Contemporary - Tommorowland
Grand Floridian - Main Street USA

ROY - WHERE IS THE FANTASYLAND HOTEL? (it's ok, I know you can't answer....).
what would it be based on?( what theme)

Gregoryp73

SCREW a Mediteranian Villa... Please, build a Deluxe themed to Fantasy Land - it's the only one that's missing:

Poly - Adventureland
Wilderness Lodge - Frontierland
Contemporary - Tommorowland
Grand Floridian - Main Street USA

ROY - WHERE IS THE FANTASYLAND HOTEL? (it's ok, I know you can't answer....).

This would make perfect sense with the fantasy land expansion...they could do a medievel type resort, a little gypsy thrown in, and bit of carnival for good measure.

Could you imagine the cobblestone walkways, jugglers, and such.
:king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom