Land cleared by the TTC on the site of the Mediterranean Resort plot

durhay

Med_Resort_1981_layoutweb.jpg

Swimming beach? :eek:

They're clearing the way for the Horizons Resort. Even the robots see it.

hokielutz

Does anyone know where on a Google map this clearing was done? perhaps posting it here would be helpful for those of us that are not at the parks every week.

I guess I will see the clearing in 2 wks when I arrive. Just curious.

stlbobby

So they are opening an new resort with a revamped Adventurer's Club and expanding the monorail to all the parks. This is a big announcement. I'm glad I can tell all my friends and customers because I know it's true. Steve posted it.:ROFLOL:

BrerFrog

So they are opening an new resort with a revamped Adventurer's Club and expanding the monorail to all the parks. This is a big announcement. I'm glad I can tell all my friends and customers because I know it's true. Steve posted it.:ROFLOL:

And they will be putting the BAH on the top of the resort, while the wand will be a secondary decoration on its left-hand side.

It is going to look very prety.

floridabill

I thought years ago they tried to build on that land but it is just to swampy?? And thats why nothing was ever put there so we got the grand floridian instead? Cause it has the same layout kinda.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought years ago they tried to build on that land but it is just to swampy?? And thats why nothing was ever put there so we got the grand floridian instead? Cause it has the same layout kinda.
Something like that. There have been conflicting opinions (well one) but the area suffers from a condition called negative skin friction. Basically load bearing piles that were driven into the ground would be sucked into the ground. The length and quantity of the piles needed to combat this force made the cost of a structure like a resort just too high.

I had heard that as well. On the Travel Channel I watched a documentary on how they made a palm tree island in the ocean for Dubai, so maybe the technology has gotten better for situations like that.

Something like that. There have been conflicting opinions (well one) but the area suffers from a condition called negative skin friction. Basically load bearing piles that were driven into the ground would be sucked into the ground. The length and quantity of the piles needed to combat this force made the cost of a structure like a resort just too high.

s8film40

This is one of the most unnecessary things they have done. From the monorail you can see over the trees when looking across the lake. This was actually cleared several months ago but in the wrong location. I haven't been there in a few days has it been widened to include the correct area that was to be cleared? It does look wider in the photos.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I had heard that as well. On the Travel Channel I watched a documentary on how they made a palm tree island in the ocean for Dubai, so maybe the technology has gotten better for situations like that.
Hard to say. The area of engineering I work in starts about 8' above the ground so I am not up on what new products and techniques are out there to deal with issues like this. One thing I do know is you can build anything anywhere BUT someone has to pay for it. That is where the problem lies. Considering that BLT was not built on this site I think it is safe to sat that there has yet to be an economically viable way to deal with the issues....whatever they may be.....on this incredibly valuable spot of land.

s8film40

Hard to say. The area of engineering I work in starts about 8' above the ground so I am not up on what new products and techniques are out there to deal with issues like this. One thing I do know is you can build anything anywhere BUT someone has to pay for it. That is where the problem lies. Considering that BLT was not built on this site I think it is safe to sat that there has yet to be an economically viable way to deal with the issues....whatever they may be.....on this incredibly valuable spot of land.

If they had built BLT on that site it would have cost a lot more since they would have had to build all of the support services associated with a hotel instead of just building rooms. This is far more likely the reason BLT is where it is than any "land issues". Disney has not built any DVC resorts that stand alone or in some other way use existing structures since they built the first one (Old Key West). I don't think they want to spend that type of ongoing money for DVC operations, when they can simply be added onto existing hotels.

When Disney decides to build a resort on the Mediterranean site it will happen.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If they had built BLT on that site it would have cost a lot more since they would have had to build all of the support services associated with a hotel instead of just building rooms. This is far more likely the reason BLT is where it is than any "land issues". Disney has not built any DVC resorts that stand alone or in some other way use existing structures since they built the first one (Old Key West). I don't think they want to spend that type of ongoing money for DVC operations, when they can simply be added onto existing hotels.

When Disney decides to build a resort on the Mediterranean site it will happen.
Quite true on both accounts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom