Lady and the Tramp remake to launch with Disney Streaming Service

Tony Perkis

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I couldn't help but notice that my post was deleted from yesterday. What, exactly, was offensive about it?

Maybe the two different ways you tried to get around the bad language filters so you can use the F-bomb?

Perhaps a perusal of the Terms of Service is in order. In it, you'll find that you're also not suppose to discuss moderator actions except in limited areas.

Good luck with this not disappearing!

The Mom

Premium Member
Maybe the two different ways you tried to get around the bad language filters so you can use the F-bomb?

Perhaps a perusal of the Terms of Service is in order. In it, you'll find that you're also not suppose to discuss moderator actions except in limited areas.

Good luck with this not disappearing!

This. Along with a bunch of other stuff. And, as mentioned, this is a make believe story about talking animals! I happen to have enjoyed the original, and am not a fan of making "real" animals talk. I much prefer animation for that.

Tony Perkis

So I couldn't help but notice that my post was deleted from yesterday. What, exactly, was offensive about it? The fact that I pointed out that a mixed-race married couple in 1900 was highly unlikely? (Not to mention that creating one for this film is once again Disney clumsily trying to be woke and looking pandering and absurd as a result). What I said may not have been politically correct, but it was certainly historically correct. And was NOT meant to be offensive, unless historical accuracy is offensive to some (but well, sadly, that could very well be.) Of course times have changed, but the story of Lady and the Tramp IS NOT OF THIS TIME, and anyway, can someone please explain to me how Lady's owners both being white was so offensive it had to be changed? That's as stupid as changing Jock into a female. Or saying that Siamese cats who speak with a Siamese accent is somehow racist. This remake is all kinds of woke and all kinds of stupid IMO. Enjoy it or whatever, but to me it's an appalling slap in the face of those whose artistry made the original so memorable, by implying through these changes that their work was racist and sexist etc. etc. etc., which is a disgusting and arrogant display of arbitrary judgement by lesser talents. Absolutely appalling.
At this point, I’d love to see Disney remake Song of the South, and replace all the black characters with white ones.

Just to see the meltdown.

Magenta Panther

You’re talking about a film in which courting dogs have a candlelit meal at a restaurant while being serenaded by the owner and his staff. Accuracy of any kind, let alone historical, isn’t something I would go looking for in such a movie, and that applies to just about everything Disney has ever produced. It’s really nothing worth getting this angry over.

This is an inference on your part (and a farfetched one at that) rather than an implication of the remake itself. By your logic, any Disney movie that deviates from its source material is showing disrespect towards that material.

That's your logic, not mine. I have stated here before that I consider the live-action Jungle Book to be superior, in some ways, to the animated version - perhaps because it not only derived its elements from that version, but also from the original books by Kipling; it hewed much more closely with those books' atmosphere and storytelling than did Walt's version, and I think the live-action film was better for it. In point of fact, I have no issue with remakes that actually improve upon the source material. But - let's be honest - damn few have. And how does changing things like the racial makeup of Lady's owners, Jock's gender, and excising the Siamese Cat Song actually improve on the original Lady and the Tramp? The only thing those changes do is pander to political correctness - that's it. Therefore, such changes are absurd and stupid. How many people are actually offended by the Cat song, anyway? What exactly are the Siamese cats supposed to sound like when they talk? Valley girls? :p

LittleBuford

And how does changing things like the racial makeup of Lady's owners, Jock's gender, and excising the Siamese Cat Song actually improve on the original Lady and the Tramp?

It's not claiming to improve upon the original, which is still there for your viewing pleasure. As a modern-day remake, of course it's going to reflect modern-day sensibilities (just as older Disney films did in their own time). Some will like the end result, others won't. The great thing is that no-one will be forced to watch it, and those who feel as you do can simply focus on the original and entirely ignore the new version. It's nothing you ever have to see or think about.

Magenta Panther

It's not claiming to improve upon the original, which is still there for your viewing pleasure. As a modern-day remake, of course it's going to reflect modern-day sensibilities (just as older Disney films did in their own time). Some will like the end result, others won't. The great thing is that no-one will be forced to watch it, and those who feel as you do can simply focus on the original and entirely ignore the new version. It's nothing you ever have to see or think about.

How is shoehorning "modern sensibilities" into a period piece to the point of obvious pandering a good idea?

And I'm going to comment on such stupidity whether anyone likes it or not. The fact that the producers of this remake felt they had to "correct" elements in the original because they were "racist" or "sexist" deserves to be challenged. Because it's a slam on the great artists, storytellers and Walt himself, and you bet your bippy (look it up) I'm going to say something about it. It's this kind of PC idiocy that ruined the legacy of Star Wars. That kind of crap deserves to get flamed.

Kate F

Do you mean the remakes have to stop? Why do you think that?
Because most of the time they pale in comparison to the original (a few like Jungle Book are arguable), and they know people will give them billions of dollars at the box office to see something they’re nostalgic for, even if it’s done much worse (TLK being the prime example). If you think I’m misguided about this, please explain why.

LittleBuford

Because most of the time they pale in comparison to the original (a few like Jungle Book are arguable), and they know people will give them billions of dollars at the box office to see something they’re nostalgic for, even if it’s done much worse (TLK being the prime example). If you think I’m misguided about this, please explain why.

I don't think you're misguided; I was just asking for clarification.

I've enjoyed some remakes (Aladdin, for instance) and hated others (The Lion King). I've never preferred one to the original, but the genre itself doesn't bother me. I respect the fact that others feel differently.

For what it's worth, the new Lady and the Tramp is exclusive to Disney+ and so falls somewhat outside your criticism of box-office greed. I personally think it's a nice treat for those of us signed up to the service.

Magenta Panther

And here's Hollywood Reporter's: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/lady-tramp-review-1251190

Not exactly a rave.

Anyway, it's nice that the IGN reviewer did question the pandering, nonsensical casting for Lady's owners....even if he did cloak it in an absurd, preachy PC context. It'd be even nicer if some published reviewer had the guts to question the notion that the depiction of the Siamese cats in the original was racist. Of course if any reviewer DARED say anything against the Siamese cats' excising, they'd have to put up with the usual gang of shrieking Hollywood idiots and the perpetually-outraged Twitter mob. Fortunately, I sense a backlash coming against all this PC/SJW insanity. Dave Chappelle will probably be only the first...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom