Lady and the Tramp remake to launch with Disney Streaming Service

Lensman

It's acknowledging that attitudes may have changed in the 64 years since the film was released.
Disney has done even more and has done a credible job at removing stereotyping from its creative product without reducing either artistic or popular appeal.

I also wonder how much influence the overseas box office has as well. That's another big change the industry has to consider now more than in the past. Every major studio is now taking in 60% more overseas box office than domestically, and that wasn't even close to being the case 20 years ago. As a result, overseas box office probably accounts for about half of the studio revenue from a movie.

So you get twice the profits but you may have to account for global tastes/sensibilities. It may be best to rework the Siamese cats singing in broken English since the humor may not translate to all countries. Plus there's probably a good portion of your domestic patrons who won't like it.

BTW, the example of the best overseas over-performance from Disney's live-action "remake" movies is Maleficent in 2014, which earned twice as much overseas as it did domestically. 2017's Beauty and the Beast earned 50% more overseas than it did domestically.

Here's where I got some of the data: https://deadline.com/2019/01/highes...hare-chart-analysis-2019-forecast-1202528459/

I got the rest from boxofficemojo.com.

Magenta Panther

I never said anything to the contrary. You're free to voice your opinions, and I'm free to disagree with them. That's generally how things work in a forum.

Nope. It's acknowledging that attitudes may have changed in the 64 years since the film was released. Or are you really going to pretend that everything that was said and done in the mid-1950s is unremarkable by today's standards?

I didn't complain about having to read your posts, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to say this. To repeat what I wrote above: "You're free to voice your opinions, and I'm free to disagree with them. That's generally how things work in a forum."

Says the guy who criticized me expressing an opinion. :rolleyes:

Magenta Panther

Welp, as if the excising of the Siamese Cat Song wasn't insipidly woke enough, turns out that Jock, the Scottish Terrier, has been transitioned into a girl!

Yep, seems the fact that the original film had two outstanding female characters (Lady and Peg) wasn't woke enough. A great wrong had to be righted and now Jock is a Jackie. Or something:

Gawd. Or maybe he's a cross-dresser?

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

Welp, as if the excising of the Siamese Cat Song wasn't insipidly woke enough, turns out that Jock, the Scottish Terrier, has been transitioned into a girl!

Yep, seems the fact that the original film had two outstanding female characters (Lady and Peg) wasn't woke enough. A great wrong had to be righted and now Jock is a Jackie. Or something:

View attachment 396879

Gawd. Or maybe he's a cross-dresser? ***?

Up yours, Iger, for letting pinhead hacks do this to wonderful films. The utter disrespect this change indicates, the idea that the original film needed to be fixed somehow, is staggering given the lack of brains and talent doing it. This travesty ought to be buried deeper than one of the REAL Jock's bones. And then widdled on for good measure. Christ.

Perhaps we should see it first before condemning it.

disneyforever101396

Maybe this will be a good thing. If this becomes a success for Disney Plus, they'll considering moving most of the live action remakes to the service so that way they won't lose money. As for the first look, I think the dogs are so cute! I have absolutely no complaints or criticisms about this new movie. I'm just lucky they're doing something as bold as this.

Prince-1

Maybe this will be a good thing. If this becomes a success for Disney Plus, they'll considering moving most of the live action remakes to the service so that way they won't lose money. As for the first look, I think the dogs are so cute! I have absolutely no complaints or criticisms about this new movie. I'm just lucky they're doing something as bold as this.

What's bold about this?

Magenta Panther

So I couldn't help but notice that my post was deleted from yesterday. What, exactly, was offensive about it? The fact that I pointed out that a mixed-race married couple in 1900 was highly unlikely? (Not to mention that creating one for this film is once again Disney clumsily trying to be woke and looking pandering and absurd as a result). What I said may not have been politically correct, but it was certainly historically correct. And was NOT meant to be offensive, unless historical accuracy is offensive to some (but well, sadly, that could very well be.) Of course times have changed, but the story of Lady and the Tramp IS NOT OF THIS TIME, and anyway, can someone please explain to me how Lady's owners both being white was so offensive it had to be changed? That's as stupid as changing Jock into a female. Or saying that Siamese cats who speak with a Siamese accent is somehow racist. This remake is all kinds of woke and all kinds of stupid IMO. Enjoy it or whatever, but to me it's an appalling slap in the face of those whose artistry made the original so memorable, by implying through these changes that their work was racist and sexist etc. etc. etc., which is a disgusting and arrogant display of arbitrary judgement by lesser talents. Absolutely appalling.

LittleBuford

So I couldn't help but notice that my post was deleted from yesterday. What, exactly, was offensive about it? The fact that I pointed out that a mixed-race married couple in 1900 was highly unlikely? (Not to mention that creating one for this film is once again Disney clumsily trying to be woke and looking pandering and absurd as a result). What I said may not have been politically correct, but it was certainly historically correct. And was NOT meant to be offensive, unless historical accuracy is offensive to some (but well, sadly, that could very well be.) Of course times have changed, but the story of Lady and the Tramp IS NOT OF THIS TIME, and anyway, can someone please explain to me how Lady's owners both being white was so offensive it had to be changed? That's as stupid as changing Jock into a female. Or saying that Siamese cats who speak with a Siamese accent is somehow racist. This remake is all kinds of woke and all kinds of stupid IMO. Enjoy it or whatever, but to me it's an appalling slap in the face of those whose artistry made the original so memorable, by implying through these changes that their work was racist and sexist etc. etc. etc., which is a disgusting and arrogant display of arbitrary judgement by lesser talents. Absolutely appalling.

You’re talking about a film in which courting dogs have a candlelit meal at a restaurant while being serenaded by the owner and his staff. Accuracy of any kind, let alone historical, isn’t something I would go looking for in such a movie, and that applies to just about everything Disney has ever produced. It’s really nothing worth getting this angry over.

Enjoy it or whatever, but to me it's an appalling slap in the face of those whose artistry made the original so memorable, by implying through these changes that their work was racist and sexist etc. etc. etc.

This is an inference on your part (and a farfetched one at that) rather than an implication of the remake itself. By your logic, any Disney movie that deviates from its source material is showing disrespect towards that material.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom