Kongfrontation has been gone over a decade and it's now even more depressing

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I found it hard to believe they would ever close this back in the day. Anyone who visited the original Universal Studios Florida knows that giant ape reaching for the tram was synonymous with Universal. He WAS the Universal Studios Florida paraphernalia. The signature attraction. My favorite one there by far. There is now a generation unaware that colossal world of graffiti-covered New York streets was ever there. Screw Jaws, THIS is the one that needed to be saved.

cheezbat

I wish they would've kept it too, but it's popularity was waning and Uni needed a place to put a new ride. At least Mummy is a worthy replacement. I would've been far more upset if they replaced it with something like Twister or a show.

StageFrenzy

It wouldn't have aged well without a significant refurb and that wasn't going to happen. Refurbs usually don't move the needle.

KLeigh

I remember taking a school trip back in February/March of 2000, and walking the floor of this ride as they were doing the morning checks before guests arrived. It was awesome to see Kong up close and personal as he reached for the tram! So sad this is no longer around....

StageFrenzy

That was our fave, but some here have said it was a maintenance nightmare. I have no idea.

Towards the end he moved about as much as the yeti from what I understand. The ride when it opened was a masterpiece in ride design. The dread/anticipation has yet to be matched in another attraction for me.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Kong is making his way back to the swamplands of FL.

The CGI video screen thing? Meh.

What made Kongfrontation a great attraction was its tactile quality. As a child, I thought I had been to New York because they constructed those enormous city facades inside that monster building. It's still disturbing to me that they tore all that down for the Mummy, in which you're now basically riding a roller coaster in a dark warehouse.

The queue was probably the greatest of all time.

Disneyhead'71

The CGI video screen thing? Meh.

What made Kongfrontation a great attraction was its tactile quality. As a child, I thought I had been to New York because they constructed those enormous city facades inside that monster building. It's still disturbing to me that they tore all that down for the Mummy, in which you're now basically riding a roller coaster in a dark warehouse.

There will be CGI 3D, but the new Kong attraction will be a mega E-Ticket.

BubbaQuest

I finally had the chance to ride the 3D CGI Kong experience at Uni Hollywood and was very impressed. The 3D looks amazing in every direction. I too prefer a full sized set over 3D projections, but I was amazed how well it worked. It really felt like I could jump off the tram and start walking around in the jungle.

The only bummer is the Hollywood trams are not optimal for viewing in all directions. Turning around to look behind is uncomfortable in the hard plastic benches. I look forward to a Florida version if new ride vehicles can enhance the experience.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I hope that Uni does less of this "everything is a screen" effect. Transformers was a letdown on that front, and I have worries about Gringotts. To do a new Kong attraction with no Kong AA would be a wasted opportunity.
As a part of an attraction, like Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey, screens are great, but they can hardly constitute an entire attraction.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I understand both points of view. If it's done well like in the case of Spider-Man, Harry Potter or Back to the Future, I'm fine with screens. Then again, I'm a huge fan of when they build sprawling practical sets that you travel through such as in E.T., Jaws or Kongfrontation and it feels like you're truly in a movie rather than watching in on a monitor.

mahnamahna101

I'm psyched for the new ride and glad they're adding big bug animatronics....

But all I really want from this ride is at least ONE big Kong animatronic. That's all I ask for.

I could strangely see maybe a KUKA arm being used to bring one of Kong's arms to life if that makes any sense :D

Olijimcha

Fond memories of this attraction, the scale of it was amazing and who can forget the banana breath. Anyone else remember the posters of upcoming movies in the queue area?

IndianaJones

I won't go as far to say it's the greatest or all time. But I will agree it was an amazing queue. I truly did feel like you was there, especially being as young as I was(although I'm sure I'd still feel it now too).

Based on the little but we've heard from the folks in the know, I'm excited for this proposed Kong attraction. Should be a fun mix of traditional sets and the 3D screens(which keep getting better IMO).

So we will see I guess, hopefully it comes to pass.

Anariaca

I remember when my parents took my sister and a clutch of cousins down to Orlando back in '92. Hands down Kongfrontation was the jam. Seeing those (from what I remember) huge AAs in effect had my little country family in awe.

When I told my cousins that Jaws and Kongfrontation were gone, they were at least realistic in the sense of asking what was in its place. The potential re-emergence of Kong on Florida soil does have my interest piqued.

danpam1024

I wish they would've kept it too, but it's popularity was waning and Uni needed a place to put a new ride. At least Mummy is a worthy replacement. I would've been far more upset if they replaced it with something like Twister or a show.
yeah is Twister anyways and why is it still there?!?! The movie wasn't even THAT big (or good). Made both my kids cry and terrified of rain for months LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom