Kongfrontation has been gone over a decade and it's now even more depressing

danpam1024

I hope that Uni does less of this "everything is a screen" effect. Transformers was a letdown on that front, and I have worries about Gringotts. To do a new Kong attraction with no Kong AA would be a wasted opportunity.
As a part of an attraction, like Spider-Man or Transformers, screens are great, but they can hardly constitute an entire attraction.
I made sure to put that in my last survey LOL!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lots of IMHO around here!

IMHO the Ghostbusters show was corny, dated and rather embarrassing with ancient effects.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I like Twister.

It didn't do bad either. Box office alone was nearly $500 million.

I dig the main show room, but watching the preshow with the dying dad, let alone the bordering-on-a-coma Bill Paxton... ugh... It just ain't worth having to go through that preshow.

Skunk

I was thinking about this recently. The terrible thing about these lost rides is that they are gone now, and they were tangible. Hollywood can reboot a movie, but you still get to keep and cherish the original just as it was when you were a child. Once theme park attractions are gone, they are gone (except you Captain EO, thank you Disney). You can look at pictures or video, but it will never capture the experience of being there. I've lost attractions I loved from all of the major theme parks, but I don't think it's ever more true than in the case of Universal Studios Florida; other than E.T. and to a lesser extent Earthquake, virtually every single attraction that was in the park in the early 1990's is either gone or replaced. In a lot of cases, they rebuilt things with something "better"; but they can't replace those old attractions. I'll cherish their memories forever.

Skunk

Captain EO????? ROTFLOL, that movie is so dated and there are so many things that are just over the top... I tell everyone to go see it for a good laugh(I don't say the laugh part). That era is right in my wheel house and it is so early 80's. My kids didn't even recognize MJ. LOL> The sparkle spandex, the hair, everything is so time warped. MJ acting all tough, LOL. The high pitched less then manly voice as he gives out commands. LOL. Sorry EO is just to much for me, it's enjoyable but kind of in a Rock Horror type of way. It's like his Bad video way back when, that was a joke too, MJ as a tough guy just doesn't work never did.

I was never terribly crazy about the attraction, I was just citing it as pretty much the only example I can think of where a "lost" attraction came back (maybe Tiki Room too?), and I really appreciated that. Thanks for rotflcoptering all over my post though.

Scuttle

I found it hard to believe they would ever close this back in the day. Anyone who visited the original Universal Studios Florida knows that giant ape reaching for the tram was synonymous with Universal. He WAS the Universal Studios Florida paraphernalia. The signature attraction. My favorite one there by far. There is now a generation unaware that colossal world of graffiti-covered New York streets was ever there. Screw Jaws, THIS is the one that needed to be saved.
Easy there! Lol Jaws was incredible.

Glasgow

This is so true. Is it safe to say Mummy is quite possibly the most underrated attraction in Orlando?
Yes, the ride is short but the queue is amazing and there are several relatively unique effects jammed in there. Due to space restrictions i dont think this attraction ever lived up to its full billing but i think its a wonderful attraction nonetheless.

Kong wasnt bad either ;)

StageFrenzy

Yes, the ride is short but the queue is amazing and there are several relatively unique effects jammed in there. Due to space restrictions i dont think this attraction ever lived up to its full billing but i think its a wonderful attraction nonetheless.

Kong wasnt bad either ;)

The ride isn't that short, I'd say it is the avg. length of a modern attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom