Kinda bummed about the DTD McD's that's closing

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
“The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable. But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”

not to mention the 520 calories and 23 grams of fat. Sure they are quick and easy, but really, we did okay back in the dark ages(70's) before the wide spread fast food nation mentality.

Quoting a book without proper source credit is akin to plagiarism.
The Omnivore's Dilemma

Or at the very least, give a link to more information. But never assume that other's won't check your sources.

Phonedave

I'm having a cold glass of iced DHMO right now. :lol: :eek:

Be careful, it is dangerous stuff

Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose?

You may not always recognize that you have been a victim of accidental DHMO overdose, so here are some signs and symptoms to look for. If you suspect Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose, or if you exhibit any of these symptoms, you should consult with your physician or medical practitioner. The data presented here is provided for informational purposes only, and should in no way be construed as medical advice of any sort.

Watch for these symptoms:

Excessive sweating
Excessive urination
Bloated feeling
Nausea
Vomiting
Electrolyte imbalance
Hyponatremia (serum hypotonicity)
Dangerously imbalanced levels of ECF and ICF in the blood
Degeneration of sodium homeostasis
A recently noted medical phenomenon involves small amounts of DHMO leaking or oozing from the corners of the eyes as a direct result of causes such as foreign particulate irritation, allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock, and sometimes severe chemical depression.

-dave

Wilt Dasney

Be careful, it is dangerous stuff

Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose?
It's funny you should mention this. I read a few years back that a woman died after a very irresponsible radio DJ challenged her to ingest as much of this deadly chemical as her body could hold! And despite this tragedy, the substance remains perfectly legal! The feds really need to get a handle on this stuff.

corey154

To the OP, I'm kinda bummed too. Sometimes I take my daughter and a few friends to DTD, and at McD's I could always buy a few happy meals and not break my bank, that way I could buy them a small token at the stores. It was fun to go to DTD, have McD's and walk around. Sometimes we'd just get icecream at McD's, it's cheaper than the other places to get icecream in DTD.

Everyone has their opinions about McD's but in mine, there were other places they could have put this new restaurant. I wish McD's renewed their contract in DTD.

marcriss

To the OP:

I understand your feelings. Our first reaction was Uh-Oh, but then we realized that our last trip we managed to avoid McD's the entire trip.

My 7 & 3 yr old ate grilled cheese at Earl. I have to say the 7 yr old did better than the 3, she mostly ate chips :) Still, I know they'll be disappointed that it's not an option. Sometimes it is all about comfort and familiarity. We wound up letting them eat whatever worked for them, and made sure they ate better at the next meal.

Rainforest cafe makes good smoothies (we don't like the food). You can get them at the bar or to go...

TinkerBell#1

I am mixed between my opion of McD's and what other people like.

As for me: They can close all MCD's type of resturants. To me that promote short life. The food is horible for a healthy body and low quility. To me it hurts your body.

I have list of resturants I ADVOID, its just not McD. Been in the Food industry for over 20 years and do not go.

But for other people, I hate see a resturant that you love, leave DTD. But what I have seen the new resturant is a great one. I do not have clue if the are truly health/ good quility of food.

Mr Toad

Never did go to that McD...the kids eat wherever my wife and & say they do (trust me...they want to go to McD). Would like to see Zippy's go in to WDW :slurp::lol::slurp:.

Mouse Man

Glad it going and will love to try the new place. I never thought McDonalds was ever a good fit and felt it cheapend the area quite a bit

glee

How many other trillions of Maccy D's are there in the world.

I think its a good thing. Something better should be in its place! Hopefully something you DONT see on every corner of america. :):D

Mouse Man

Honestly I am glad to see them go. I am at WDW and want to try things that I can not find or get at home. McDonalds never did seem to fit in at WDW. Will love to see the new resteraunt and see what the food tastes like.

glee

Honestly I am glad to see them go. I am at WDW and want to try things that I can not find or get at home. McDonalds never did seem to fit in at WDW. Will love to see the new resteraunt and see what the food tastes like.

Exactly!!!! McDonalds....Oooo original. :rolleyes::lol:
I doubt many will miss it. :shrug::D

rkelly42

With all the other good restaurants around DTD stopping at McDonalds is crazy. I am glad they are gone, unfortunately another fast food chain is moving in. Im not for the comercialization of disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom