Killing time in the queues

koppite_rob

Original Poster
This year me & Mrs R will be going with friends with children.
A novel experience as Im known to be only just child tolerant in small amounts.

Whilst I normally amuse myself by looking at the scenery & examining the queue management systems & technology (don't ask),Mrs R amuses herself by annoying me!
With kids in tow I need ideas on how to keep there attention & stop queue frustration.
The plan was to buy one of those books on day one full of 'did you knows' & hidden Mickey info.

Can anyone recommend where I can get one when we arrive & which ones are any good.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated,answers on a postcard to the usual address......

minnie2000

How old are the children? (Edit: You beat me to it Captain!)

Maybe - ipods, nintendos?

Give my daughter a book and she would be happy:lol: - but that depends a lot on age.

We found these great little kits in publix. It was a Disney colouring book, sort of like magic painting, with its own clear pen. When you coloured in with the pen, different colours would appear. There were also puzzles and things in the book and you had to use the pen to get the answers.

There's always the alphabet game- you know - think of a Disney character that starts with A,B,C etc. Then you move on to animals, girls' names, boys' names, cities etc.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Too old to be bound and gagged in a pushchair then :(

Assuming that you're travelling during school holiday periods then expect it to be busy with long queues - essentially it will be the responsibility of their parents to amuse them while stood in line. Here are some suggestions -

Puzzle books / magazines (the sort that you'd find in a good newsagents).

Games of I-Spy

Discussions about what they're expecting the attraction / show to be about (when you reach the front of the queue), where they want to go next (if they have a choice in the matter)

Hidden Mickey book

DisneyMusician2

The Queue Line Survival guide is still out there

I used that with my little cousins. It has trivia and all Disney-related things.

It's not great, but it is a start :)

Try here!

a lively political discussion... kids love that stuff...

or you can discuss how rhode island is neither a road nor an island...

just kidding... i dont know, i feel i dont spend too much time being bored in lines, usually we just talk about what weve done and what we want to do next. since im a walking disney encyclopedia, i usually assault my family with random facts about the park until they tell me to shut up!

EPCOT Explorer

a lively political discussion... kids love that stuff...

just kidding... i dont know, i feel i dont spend too much time being bored in lines, usually we just talk about what weve done and what we want to do next. since im a walking disney encyclopedia, i usually assault my family with random facts about the park until they tell me to shut up!

Linda Richman much?:ROFLOL:

Hidden Mickeys are ALWAYS fun.

tdonald

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways......?

That's funny, I'm the exact same way...

"Hey Mom, did you know that in 19..."
"YES I'M SURE YOU'VE TOLD ME BEFORE!" :fork:

Eyorefan

nintendo ds, games, extra batteries. you will swear the kid is not even there. :)

My daughter's nintendo DS has been band from Disney World for this very reason. :brick:

We generally talk about things while we wait in line. Some times we play a game of "eye spy" or 20 questions.

PeoplemoverTTA

i dont know, i feel i dont spend too much time being bored in lines, usually we just talk about what weve done and what we want to do next.

This is what my family did while I was younger. I was five on my first trip (8 on my second trip and 10 on my third), before the days of Fastpass or distractions like PSP or Nintendo DS. We talked about what we wanted to do next or we would look at the details in the line.

My parents didn't buy me books or games to distract me or my brother and sister while I was in line...we wanted to take it all in because we were grateful to go to WDW. Plus, it got us even more excited about what to do next by talking about it.

I like to think that it is partially because of how we interacted with the parks as children that my siblings and I now appreciate the details in WDW.

sublimesting

Buy all of the Imagineering Guides. They are wonderful and very high quality and very imformative. They point out alotof details in all the lands and rides. Also buy Lou Mongello's trivia books. Wonderfully fun and you can interact with the kids and adults. AND one more idea: I just bought a book called the Passporter's Guide to Disney, or something like that. It is basically a scavenger hunt for information that has varying levels of difficulty. All of these are very informative and allow child/adult interaction...or if you don't want to interact you can just peruse them yourself in line. Also try making fun of others. The DW and I do this alot and can be quite a good time :animwink:(is he kidding, is he serious....:shrug:)

DisneyGigi

There is so much to see in the queue lines at Disney that my kids are pretty entertained just checking everything out. We usually see some new little detail we have never noticed before. DS has brought a PSP before but he didn't use it that much. The books are great, we have the Hidden Mickey one that they are checking off as they find them. We go so hard when we are there that honestly standing in line gives us a rest.:ROFLOL:

maggiegrace1

Do you really wait that long in line that you need to have books or games to pass the time?

I think I would lose my mind if I had to wait as long as you guys seem to be waiting or expecting to wait.

Mybails

You could try something novel - like talking to them! Surprise - 8 & 10 yr olds are quite verbally accomplished. Try making a game of hidden mickeys. Talk about the ride you're waiting for, the things in the que, what they have liked so far. I'm sure that you will find out that their joy in everything is quite contagious.

Disney through a child's eye is a joy to behold. That's why we're taking the 18 yr old, her BF, and 5 of the grandkids (ages 6 - 15).

Elonwy

We always played "Tacky Tourist I-Spy" look for couples with matching t-shirts, families wearing those stupid "My daughters a cheerleader/My sister's a cheerleader shirts", 80's style packs... but you just have to make sure no one points directly in the face of the man standing behind you and screams "SOCKS WITH SANDALS!!!" :lookaroun

There's also hidden Mickey Hunts which distracted the kids on my last trip (ages 5, 9 and 12)

You can pick up "The Imagineers guide to..." one for each of the parks and spout off even more trivia because it won't drive your family crazy when you start every sentence with "Hey, did you know...?" besides the books are small so you can easily carry them in the parks.

Ask your kids to read everyone's name tag and quiz them in the lines..."Who was the girl that checked us into the hotel...who was our waiter for breakfast..." That may require you to actually remember them too though so whatever they say just tell them they're wrong...it's funny to watch the looks on their faces when you do that :D:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom