Kilimanjaro Safaris to replace 'Little Red' scene with new savannah space

HMF

My money is on no story whatsoever now because adding story elements would cost money to maintain after creating both of which take imagination and $$ of which neither are something TDO expends anymore. Easier to just shift around critters they already have & maintain.

Natazu? Nope. Izazu? Yep. At least at the safari.

Glad we got to experience the story before it got really discombobulated. Wish we'd seen it in its glory. I remember how my youngest was so into the stopping the poachers thing. It went right along with his conservation hero, Steve Irwin, and all his favorite pretend games.

Definitely the way things have been since '07 it's been awkward at the end. The elimination of the last of the story elements is better than leaving as-is. I just wish it had been a move towards enriching the story vs. eliminating altogether. Too bad.

Wish I was surprised. Par for the course nowadays. **sigh**

Actually, Walt was very insistent that attractions not have stories.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html So if you believe Walt's Philosophy, this is great news.

jumblue

Any rumors as to if this is closing to accommodate the changes? I'm heading down the last week of August and have been talking up the Safari to my girlfriend (who's never been)...

Good to see they're putting in more animals though, the story never did come across all that strong (I think we were too busy looking at animals to notice/pay attention).

RunnerEd

I've always thought that it was somewhat odd that the attraction is named Kilimanjaro Safaris but there is no view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Does anyone know if we will be getting some type of mountain facade at any point? IF (I'm not an insider and don't have any information regarding this) they are planning on using the Rafiki/northern expansion area for Avatar, a Kilimanjaro facade on the back of one of those attractions would be very sweet off in the distance.

RSoxNo1

Let me touch on several of the points brought up in the last several pages.

First and foremost let us not make the mistake of confusing story with plot. They are not the same thing. The story has always been going out into the Harambe Wildlife reserve to see animals, the plot then comes from a completely separate action of there being poachers in the reserve. The plot here is presumably being eliminated. The story is not. While it may change, you are still going to an 800 square mile Animal reserve with multiple different ecosystems inside it. And story and to a certain extent, the plot will be shifting toward something more relateable (Which is apparently not a real word, but one that fits nonetheless) and that is wildlife conservation.

To be completely honest, I never rode the safari before the 2007 makeover, so I can't speak to how it used to be, but the current plot, is a little bit of a joke, Zebras are one of the most widely recognized African Mammals, and something that has been missing from the safari for quite some time. I'm told that they always made for a great show, they were almost always close to the vehicles, and that people loved them, so just to clarify, I am all for this change.

As for the specifics, the geysers will indeed be going away. The existing cattle guard just past the warthogs will remain, and it sounds like that downhill slope will remain as well, before the area opens up into a clearing, where quite a few zebras will graze (including, yes a new watering hole, although why the blog chose to highlight that I don't understand, there are already several on the ride, adding one more seems to be par for the course).

And also just to clarify to a poster above there is currently a Wilson transmission just past the Warthogs that states "Simba 1, there are poachers in the area, can you help us cut them off?" (Although how often the Wilson Audio works correctly is anyone's guess, I've heard some weird things out there, hah).

The moral of this story is don't count your chickens. I am a big fan of Disney's Animal Kingdom, and I have full faith that this is just the beginning of several park improvements we will see over the next few years. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Avatar, is going to be huge for this park, but management recognizes that it's been a while since significant capital was invested here, I think they will be ready for the party when the party comes about.

(And don't count your chickens about those night safaris either, They're hoping that Avatar will be extending the park hours significantly, but obviously that's just blue sky, so in the unlikely event that it does happen, who knows what form it will take)

The Zebras haven't been on the main Savannah for several years. Evidently they became too agressive (I believe with babies) so for safety they were moved on to the "Fenced in Habitat for Animals not on exhibit" A small portion of this area could be seen right over the bridge before you turn into the Red Clay Pits going towards the elephants. I have seen Zebras over there twice, but it's very rare.

This change has been rumored for a little while, and I'm glad to see it happening.

To be replaced with...nothing? That seems a shame.:(

They're being replaced with more animals - I view this as a huge positive.

Do we know if any additional species will be added besides zebra? I believe there are a few species over at Animal Kingdom Lodge that aren't represented in the park.

Excited

I think this is wonderful news. This attraction has been overdue for an upgrade for a long time. I am super excited to see whatever animal species they decide to show off there. I hope it is something exciting since it will be the last animal area of the ride.

The Duck

I dont care as long as they dont get rid of the fake radio station with the song that goes "ah la ah wayee yaaaaaa ah boo boo boo ah BOO BOO BOO BOO!"

My son and I always sing it and it cracks us up (No one hears us because it is quite loud :) )
I rode the Safari last week and maybe it was my imagination but the song seemed to play longer than usual. Maybe this is hinting of what's to come. Incidentally, the song translated into English is The Our Father (The Lord's Prayer) in Swahili. In other Kilimanjaro news, our driver seemed less than enthused about the entire experience and didn't even speed up through the geysers. We just cruised along at the usual speed while she said nary a word. She even made the collapsing bridge boring. Meanwhile in the MK, one of the African elephants on the Jungle Cruise was out for repairs so now I'm wondering if Little Red might find his way to the JC to join his AA friends.

ajjf

Get a chuckle when going by the poachers on the pole. But I think the more animals one can see on the safari the better.

Captain Neo

Thank God. The little red scene was dumb and corny. Even when the ride first opened and it had a full scene complete with a shootout at the end and live actors and an AA figure it still was bad.

nyfrenchy

I remember the original ending from my winter 1999 trip, and it's was great, in large part thanks to the poacher's Jeep firing at you.

Why did they remove this element of the finale only after a few years??

Animaniac93-98

In a ride that sells itself on featuring real animals, having a really fake looking one at the finale is a disapointment. There's also nothing wrong with a well integrated story, but this was clearly not the case. It was both forced and unecessary for the overall experience.

I have to agree with others who view this change as a positive.

jt04

The Story will be shifting away from anti-poaching to a more holistic Wildlife Conservation story. I'm almost certain that poaching will still be mentioned, but it will no longer be a driving factor. With this, it means that obviously Wilson's story may change, or may disappear completely, more details to come, right now that sounds like it is still TBD.

Excellent and what was needed IMO. More of a learning experience with the emphasis on conservation over the "preservation" mind-set which is largely counter-productive ultimately.

I have a hunch this would not be Joe's first choice but perhaps they will save the more preachy viewpoints for AvatarLand.

invader

I always thought the poaching section brought in a much unneeded realism into the Animal Kingdom. You don't go to see guns, bad guys, or hurt animals - you go to see actual, live, beautiful animals.

RSoxNo1

I remember the original ending from my winter 1999 trip, and it's was great, in large part thanks to the poacher's Jeep firing at you.

Why did they remove this element of the finale only after a few years??

The Jeep kept getting struck by lightening

Disneyfanman

My money is on no story whatsoever now because adding story elements would cost money to maintain after creating both of which take imagination and $$ of which neither are something TDO expends anymore. Easier to just shift around critters they already have & maintain.

Natazu? Nope. Izazu? Yep. At least at the safari.

Glad we got to experience the story before it got really discombobulated. Wish we'd seen it in its glory. I remember how my youngest was so into the stopping the poachers thing. It went right along with his conservation hero, Steve Irwin, and all his favorite pretend games.

Definitely the way things have been since '07 it's been awkward at the end. The elimination of the last of the story elements is better than leaving as-is. I just wish it had been a move towards enriching the story vs. eliminating altogether. Too bad.

Wish I was surprised. Par for the course nowadays. **sigh**

Why does everything have to be a "money thing"? Maybe this will significantly improve the experience. I get irritated with maint and broken effects, but much of what Disney had done in the last few years in flat out changes has been pretty cool. What if this actually improves the Show? I'm happy because I love this attraction and I really thought the poacher thing was a stretch.

Rasvar

There is no reason why there still can't be an immersive (and better) story. Change up some videos in the queue, add some new signage in the queue and then change up the video with a message that can still be conservation minded. More of a focus on the animals. Talk about the importance of wilderness reserves in Africa as if it is an African reserve. The poacher story line was actually too distracting from everything else. So I do not shed a tear over this change. Maybe they can take those geyser parts and get the ones at Big Thunder working again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom