Kilimanjaro Safaris to replace 'Little Red' scene with new savannah space

miles1

I welcome the change too. The whole "Big Red"/"Little Red" thing wasn't very believable for adults and the kids that may have found it believeable couldn't follow the thread anyway. The whole Bambi in the jungle thing seemed to intrude on what was an enjoyable, relaxing attraction by ending it on a rushed, "downer" note. Bring on the Zebras.

RunnerEd

I just posted this on the official blog. We'll see if it gets moderated. Even if it does, it made me feel better :brick:
Could the parts that made Little Red move be transferred over to the Yeti in Expedition: Everest? Sort of an organ donor program.

I believe that this is a great change and, as others have, after the majesty of the real animals, the story was a bit of a let down. Great job!

sweetpee_1993

I really wouldn't call this the cheap way out. It'll take a very large investment to take the current poacher scene and make it animal-safe.

Yes, but it would take more to do a story up right. A ride to view animals has already been done elsewhere. A ride that incorporates a story with the animals would be unique & special.

I totally agree that this change is a change for the better with how the attraction stands now. My challenge is that Disney could do better still. Why settle for nice when you can have amazing?

:animwink:

Kevin_W

Wow, someone in this thread is negative.

I'm in the camp that welcomes the changes. I've been on the Safari in the "glory days" of the anti-poaching story line, as well as the current state. It felt a bit forced to me as well. They can have the conservation emphasis without this particular story.

As for Nahtazu - that depends on your definition of zoos as well. Zoos have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years. some of that, probalby due to influence from Animal Kingdom. My local zoo now includes a boat ride through Asia - clearly Disneyesque, if not done up to Disney standards.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think people wanted to see real animals on the safari.. not AA ones. Building a watering hole can make that more feasible.

I don't have a problem with the story overlay on the ride.. but half-assed ones should be put out of their misery. I'm looking at you Backlot Tour!

startraveler

The story is that you are going on a three week safari and have to cut it short because you helped catch poachers. Who goes on a twenty minute safari? What will be the reason we have to come back to camp early? The idea of an extended safari adds to the banter with the driver.

ksr99

A good Farewell

I use to work for safaris, and its definately changed since opening day. When we first had the "end" scene it was actually pretty good. The jeep, the rattlers in the doors, live wardens. We had a good time! I just went on the ride about three weeks ago(got married in disney) and it def was a sad "end" scene. So I'm all for it being removed. What bothered me more suprisingly was that new safari they do. It just seemed like it took away from the show. In the early years of the attraction, I almost felt lost in africa because of show quality, now its kind of pathetic in areas. The trucks are definately looking worn out, I feel bad for the drivers. Those seats were nasty!! However back to the point of the thread, I think no more poachers is a step in the right direction. And I love the music, always a pain to get that radio tuned in on those trucks:shrug:

the-reason14

Now that it's mentioned, I don't recall Wilson buzzing in saying "Oh there's poachers in the area" like I remember him saying back in 2002 ish. The last few times I've been on it, I think the driver just notices the broken fence and acts on that.

I think I'll miss the original story even though KS is not a must do for me anymore, it's still a nice ride. It's funny that some people have said that KS doesn't need a story and that it distracts from the main reason why people ride it, to see the animals. Then some people are against it because without the story it's a typical zoo attraction with some amazing themeing.

rortiz

I completely agree with this change and excited for the zebra section. I'm going this Nov. to celebrate my 2 year wedding so hopefully we will see the change by then

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm very happy with this news. Having been on actual safaris before, it's the 'story' that took me out of the moment and made me say "Oh yeah, I'm still in a Disney park on a ride with a mandated story." Now, the joy of the attraction will come from seeing real animals and impressively re-created landscapes, instead of from defeating the poacher.

If they eliminate the driving fast through the geysers sequence, will they also remove the expectant mother warning? That is really the rough part, without racing to stop poachers, its a pretty tame ride.

NiarrNDisney

Oh good! I think having a different species would be a better use of the space rather than that silly animatronic that you can hardly see in the back of that truck.

Tip Top Club

Let me touch on several of the points brought up in the last several pages.

First and foremost let us not make the mistake of confusing story with plot. They are not the same thing. The story has always been going out into the Harambe Wildlife reserve to see animals, the plot then comes from a completely separate action of there being poachers in the reserve. The plot here is presumably being eliminated. The story is not. While it may change, you are still going to an 800 square mile Animal reserve with multiple different ecosystems inside it. And story and to a certain extent, the plot will be shifting toward something more relateable (Which is apparently not a real word, but one that fits nonetheless) and that is wildlife conservation.

To be completely honest, I never rode the safari before the 2007 makeover, so I can't speak to how it used to be, but the current plot, is a little bit of a joke, Zebras are one of the most widely recognized African Mammals, and something that has been missing from the safari for quite some time. I'm told that they always made for a great show, they were almost always close to the vehicles, and that people loved them, so just to clarify, I am all for this change.

As for the specifics, the geysers will indeed be going away. The existing cattle guard just past the warthogs will remain, and it sounds like that downhill slope will remain as well, before the area opens up into a clearing, where quite a few zebras will graze (including, yes a new watering hole, although why the blog chose to highlight that I don't understand, there are already several on the ride, adding one more seems to be par for the course).

And also just to clarify to a poster above there is currently a Wilson transmission just past the Warthogs that states "Simba 1, there are poachers in the area, can you help us cut them off?" (Although how often the Wilson Audio works correctly is anyone's guess, I've heard some weird things out there, hah).

The moral of this story is don't count your chickens. I am a big fan of Disney's Animal Kingdom, and I have full faith that this is just the beginning of several park improvements we will see over the next few years. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Avatar, is going to be huge for this park, but management recognizes that it's been a while since significant capital was invested here, I think they will be ready for the party when the party comes about.

(And don't count your chickens about those night safaris either, They're hoping that Avatar will be extending the park hours significantly, but obviously that's just blue sky, so in the unlikely event that it does happen, who knows what form it will take)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Let me touch on several of the points brought up in the last several pages.

First and foremost let us not make the mistake of confusing story with plot. They are not the same thing. The story has always been going out into the Harambe Wildlife reserve to see animals, the plot then comes from a completely separate action of there being poachers in the reserve. The plot here is presumably being eliminated. The story is not. While it may change, you are still going to an 800 square mile Animal reserve with multiple different ecosystems inside it. And story and to a certain extent, the plot will be shifting toward something more relateable (Which is apparently not a real word, but one that fits nonetheless) and that is wildlife conservation.

To be completely honest, I never rode the safari before the 2007 makeover, so I can't speak to how it used to be, but the current plot, is a little bit of a joke,

Nicely put in the first paragraph there. When the park first opened, the poachers plot seemed forced and unnecessary to me. But it was, at least, well done, in that there were many effects that worked together to create a nice segment, and there was slow buildup throughout the trip.

As time went on, the effects went off, and then all of the build up changed. That made the poacher plot seem even more forced and tacked on...plus it wasn't done as well.

So I'm happy to see it go, and I don't think it was ever needed in the first place. The attraction will do just fine without the plot. The backstory will remain and that's sufficient to support the real attraction -- the animals themselves.

Goofy Kid

Thats pretty sweet. I agree the poacher problem was a little cheesy, but it added a cool twist. I am sure Disney will add something incredible in its place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom