Kilimanjaro Safari changes starting this week??

dreamscometrue

While I support the "anti-poaching" message, I doubt the change will alter the safari experience (seeing the animals). I'm just surprised that no-one has posted that this change is the final straw, they are never gonna visit wdw again, and they are cancelling/not-renewing their AP.

That's hilarious...but sadly, true. Someone will post that soon. :)

monkeysammich

Rode it today... and it was better than before, I think. Our driver was very pleasant and seemed to actually be enjoying herself instead of force feeding us a contrived story.

dreamscometrue

Rode it today... and it was better than before, I think. Our driver was very pleasant and seemed to actually be enjoying herself instead of force feeding us a contrived story.

That's great. I know it's a work in progress for several more months, but what's it look like now where the poacher chasing segment used to be?

mitchk

:shrug: What the heck :shrug: I thought Disney was all about telling stories :shrug: I guess not :zipit: Well no more 2 week trip :hammer: This Sucks :cry:

monkeysammich

That's great. I know it's a work in progress for several more months, but what's it look like now where the poacher chasing segment used to be?

There's a big netted off area where they are doing construction... the driver said it was going to be built into a zebra habitat. At the end there's still a crate with a tusk, but no more jeep/camp.

The music midway through was a little odd.. but not too distracting. I think I may have seen more animals than usual this time. I think part of that may have been me paying attention and not listening to the back and forth between Wilson and the driver. :lol:

jensenrick

Tearing up the geysers:
http://twitpic.com/9q0pw8
587899160.jpg

The geysers are going too?!? :brick: :hurl:

I agree with the person up thread- I guess Disney is getting out of the story business.
What a shame. At least I got to ride it back when . . . :cry:

Tip Top Club

Don't confuse story and plot. The awful, forced, contrived plot is gone, but you are still going on safari through the 800 square mile Harambe Wildlife reserve. This a positive change folks. Embrace it.

I_heart_Tigger

Don't confuse story and plot. The awful, forced, contrived plot is gone, but you are still going on safari through the 800 square mile Harambe Wildlife reserve. This a positive change folks. Embrace it.

Agreed...you are still transported into the wilds af Africa on a guided safari. That is a good story and one that is easy to get immersed in. I was never terribly immersed in the distraction of imaginary helicopters, having to keep my eye out for fake poachers and annoying instructions from Wilson to chase people when I would rather look for real animals.

Rescue Ranger

The only thing so far to upset me with this is the removal of the geysers......why? I loved that area, it was a nice little change to drive through a water feature. Unless they add another feature of sorts that includes water, then I guess time will tel . But I don't quite get this.

RSoxNo1

The geysers are going too?!? :brick: :hurl:

I agree with the person up thread- I guess Disney is getting out of the story business.
What a shame. At least I got to ride it back when . . . :cry:

Thanks Tip Top Club for getting it. There's a difference between building a backstory and having an attraction driven by a plot. The attractions that have a linear story often do so in the place of quality. Splash Mountain is an obvious exception to this, but Kilimanjaro Safaris still works as a tour of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve.

Every Disney Fan needs to read that article.

Again, thanks for posting this - I didn't agree with everything on this site, but I remembered this article standing out.

J_Carioca

This whole thing is ridiculous.

First of all, if any kids are frightened on KS, well...too bad. Don't parents understand that kids like to be scared, at least a little bit? I remember going on Pirates as a small child, and I was scared during the cannonball explosions. Does that mean Disney should remove them? No. My mother explained that is wasn't real, and I dealt with it.

Second, taking out the poacher story whitewashes the whole point of Kilimanjaro, which is to appreciate the animals and understand the threats to their survival. People have to understand that these animals will no longer exist in a couple of decades if the poachers aren't stopped. The storyline may be upsetting to some people, but I find it considerably more upsetting that AK might be the only place you'll be able to see elephants in the future, because they will all be gone. If anything Disney should be getting the conservation message out more.

I_heart_Tigger

Second, taking out the poacher story whitewashes the whole point of Kilimanjaro, which is to appreciate the animals and understand the threats to their survival. People have to understand that these animals will no longer exist in a couple of decades if the poachers aren't stopped. The storyline may be upsetting to some people, but I find it considerably more upsetting that AK might be the only place you'll be able to see elephants in the future, because they will all be gone. If anything Disney should be getting the conservation message out more.

Personally I find the point of KS is to transport you into an African Safari and make it feel like you are actually there. The storyline involving the poachers was not upsetting to me, just annoying. You are just zooming from the poacherless camp to the poacherless truck where the baby elephant sits and his mother is missing and presumed dead while the baby apparently was safe the entire time. This means I just wasted precious time away from being magically transported to an African Safari trying to save an elephant who didn't need any help in the first place. :shrug:

The story was already whitewashed once taking out the death of Big Red and left it as just a senseless annoying mess with no ending. I have no problem with darker elements to a ride or with providing a message but it needs to be seamlessly integrated with the theme of the ride and this one was not.

I am happier knowing I can experience an African safari which will be more comparable to the ones I have done in Kenya and Zambia than try to get involved in a poorly contrived plot.

JimboJones123

I have no real problem with the change here, though it's a shame the conservation message might get a little bit dilluted.

The big thing I learned while reading that article was about what was changed BEFORE the park's opening. I've gotta say that coming across a bloody, de-tusked Big Red would have been very upsetting to many people of all ages. I can only imagine the stunned, uncomfortable silence that would have fallen each time the truck reached that show scene. I would also wonder if the re-ride rate would have been much lower than it is now...if only to avaid seeing that...

This is a great opportunity for them to throw together a REAL conservation message. The prior story was absolute forced garbage. Sure, it may take a bit of tooling, but the overall message could be SO much stronger without fake chasing people off the reserve.

JimboJones123

Why can't we still throw out the "illusion" of a two week safari? Seriously, would anybody REALLY be upset that they didn't actually get a full two weeks instead of an implied two weeks?

WDW1974

Every Disney Fan needs to read that article.

Nah.

Every Disney fan needs to put down the Pixie Dust pipe, step back and watch some older videos like I just did ... from 12/90 to be exact ... never seen them before and were taken from an interesting perspective.

But what they showed beyond any doubt was just how amazing WDW was when the 90s began and just how incredibly far the product has fallen in this era where everyone can say anything on the Internet (no matter how ignorant or outlandish) and it gets a voice.

The decline of WDW ... the Walmarting has been steady, stark and sad ... and there is absolutely NOTHING happening that shows that there's going to be any change. Hell, they're letting DLP rot too ... Disney only spends when it needs to or is forced to (see DLR this summer or Asian parks).

Oh, amazingly I've watched hours of video and haven't seen one ECV or double-wide stroller yet ... I guess they weren't invented until much later ... like 1991 or 92.:ROFLOL::eek::drevil:

But, hey, The Avengers was uber-kewl and that was all Bob Iger all the way!

wdwfan22

While the poacher story may have seemed a little forced it was still enjoyable and entertaining. It also make the ride and attraction rather than a boring animal tour. The park for years claimed it was Natahzoo, however this attraction now screams zoo. Everyone will have his/her own opinion and this is mine. To those who love the change enjoy for those who don't we will just move on to the next attraction LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom