Kilimanjaro Safari changes starting this week??

Tip Top Club

I have a bad feeling that this is going to go down in history as one of those things that Disney fans looks back on with rose-colored glasses. (I know for a fact that Ben Franklin's Bifocals are not)

I really enjoyed the old poacher storyline, when Miss Jobson and Wilson would banter on the radio and there was a real element of danger to it. That being said, that storyline was downgraded, and became what was, until recently, a rather contrived effort.

For those of you harping about "story" if you really think about the story of Kilimanjaro Safaris from 2007-2012 was rather ... uhm ... ill-defined. As you cross over toward Monkey Point, Wilson told you they "picked up a baby elephant that was wandering off on its own. We can't find the mother, I'm afraid poachers may be in the reserve" Obviously that's a bad thing, and your driver probably reiterated that. So they chose to go a way they are unfamilliar with, (with the road outside the male elephant enclosure being closed) and that takes you over the tilting bridge and further into elephant country. The driver is on the lookout for a distressed mother elephant, but they don't see anything so they start heading down toward the Kifaru Plains. Wilson comes on the radio and suggests you go west, for animal viewing purposes, clearly he is not all that concerned about the potential poachers. Suddenly however a few minutes later, he tells you there ARE poachers in the area. So the driver decides to help cut them off. The driver takes you down toward the Magadi Gorge, where your life is endangerd by geysers, presumbly caused by volcanic activity that could be very dangerous. But WAIT, the poachers have already deserted their camp! And then, according to Wilson "The Poachers ran, but they won't get far, we've located the mother elephant, thanks to you they are now both safe, Asante Sana Everyone!" So...Not only did the poachers get away, but neither the baby elephant nor the mother elephant were ever in real danger....So really the driver puts your lives at risk, but nothing was even solved. That was the story.

To me, and obviously this is my opinion, that's just silly.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed having a FINALE to the ride, something it will most definitely be missing when this work is complete. I also miss the radio chatter already. And while the music is still there, I thought having Wilson and the driver communicating with him was wonderful as far as immersion in to the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, so that is something I will also miss.

That being said, I simply won't miss the contrived poaching plot. (I would have loved to see radio transmissions with a naturalist like Miss Jobson telling us about the areas we're going into, but I don't think that will happen) and just to be clear, the African Music is still played from Monkey Point all the way to tiliting bridge.

Once again, for clarity's sake, this was not a change made to appease families with small children. I have very seldom heard of small children being frightened beyond reason on this ride. This was a core shift in message from being directly about poaching to being about the animals themselves, and when a new script comes online this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if many different threats to the animals were referenced, rather then just this one (albeit Major) threat.

I don't agree that this change "Whitewashes" the ride. Someone mentioned that Walt Disney Quote about that kids LIKE to be scared. and that's true so once again note that that is not why this changed is happening. Seeing animals live and up close is just as much of a thrill. I could easily reference another famous disney anecdote about Joe Rohde's team bringing a tiger into a business meeting with executives, and from then on it was no longer a question that up close animal encounters were a thrill. I think if you've ever been lucky enough to be on a safari that's been rammed by a rhino, you'd think that too. (I have by the way, AMAZING!)

Anyway...I'm rambling, the original point I was trying to make was that I really do think this is a positive change, and while there are things that I would do differently, I really do believe this change is for the best. I guess we can only wait and see where the park is in four or five years to really see the effects of many changes coming park-wide, and hopefully judge it then. Until then, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for all the reasons discussed here.

P.S. The geysers are going because...well...that's where they're building a Zebra habitat. Zebras are one of the most popular and well-known African Animals, so since they can't live with the other animals, it makes sense to feature them elsewhere. No?

Cornballman

I have a bad feeling that this is going to go down in history as one of those things that Disney fans looks back on with rose-colored glasses. (I know for a fact that Ben Franklin's Bifocals are not)

I really enjoyed the old poacher storyline, when Miss Jobson and Wilson would banter on the radio and there was a real element of danger to it. That being said, that storyline was downgraded, and became what was, until recently, a rather contrived effort.

For those of you harping about "story" if you really think about the story of Kilimanjaro Safaris from 2007-2012 was rather ... uhm ... ill-defined. As you cross over toward Monkey Point, Wilson told you they "picked up a baby elephant that was wandering off on its own. We can't find the mother, I'm afraid poachers may be in the reserve" Obviously that's a bad thing, and your driver probably reiterated that. So they chose to go a way they are unfamilliar with, (with the road outside the male elephant enclosure being closed) and that takes you over the tilting bridge and further into elephant country. The driver is on the lookout for a distressed mother elephant, but they don't see anything so they start heading down toward the Kifaru Plains. Wilson comes on the radio and suggests you go west, for animal viewing purposes, clearly he is not all that concerned about the potential poachers. Suddenly however a few minutes later, he tells you there ARE poachers in the area. So the driver decides to help cut them off. The driver takes you down toward the Magadi Gorge, where your life is endangerd by geysers, presumbly caused by volcanic activity that could be very dangerous. But WAIT, the poachers have already deserted their camp! And then, according to Wilson "The Poachers ran, but they won't get far, we've located the mother elephant, thanks to you they are now both safe, Asante Sana Everyone!" So...Not only did the poachers get away, but neither the baby elephant nor the mother elephant were ever in real danger....So really the driver puts your lives at risk, but nothing was even solved. That was the story.

To me, and obviously this is my opinion, that's just silly.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed having a FINALE to the ride, something it will most definitely be missing when this work is complete. I also miss the radio chatter already. And while the music is still there, I thought having Wilson and the driver communicating with him was wonderful as far as immersion in to the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, so that is something I will also miss.

That being said, I simply won't miss the contrived poaching plot. (I would have loved to see radio transmissions with a naturalist like Miss Jobson telling us about the areas we're going into, but I don't think that will happen) and just to be clear, the African Music is still played from Monkey Point all the way to tiliting bridge.

Once again, for clarity's sake, this was not a change made to appease families with small children. I have very seldom heard of small children being frightened beyond reason on this ride. This was a core shift in message from being directly about poaching to being about the animals themselves, and when a new script comes online this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if many different threats to the animals were referenced, rather then just this one (albeit Major) threat.

I don't agree that this change "Whitewashes" the ride. Someone mentioned that Walt Disney Quote about that kids LIKE to be scared. and that's true so once again note that that is not why this changed is happening. Seeing animals live and up close is just as much of a thrill. I could easily reference another famous disney anecdote about Joe Rohde's team bringing a tiger into a business meeting with executives, and from then on it was no longer a question that up close animal encounters were a thrill. I think if you've ever been lucky enough to be on a safari that's been rammed by a rhino, you'd think that too. (I have by the way, AMAZING!)

Anyway...I'm rambling, the original point I was trying to make was that I really do think this is a positive change, and while there are things that I would do differently, I really do believe this change is for the best. I guess we can only wait and see where the park is in four or five years to really see the effects of many changes coming park-wide, and hopefully judge it then. Until then, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for all the reasons discussed here.

P.S. The geysers are going because...well...that's where they're building a Zebra habitat. Zebras are one of the most popular and well-known African Animals, so since they can't live with the other animals, it makes sense to feature them elsewhere. No?

whew! Now that I spent all that time reading, I agree. I think you can still put out an effective message about conservation and poaching without the stilly story. I will go so far as saying that the JC was ridiculous with the cheesy jokes and story line on that ride as well. I was so excited to take my daughter on it, then thought once was enough for a while immediately after the ride. Sometimes the ride itself is what brings people to it, not the story.

jakeman

I have a bad feeling that this is going to go down in history as one of those things that Disney fans looks back on with rose-colored glasses.
Agreed. I have as much attachment to the ride as anyone, having worked there and met my wife there.

While I'm sad to see the old storyline go (even in it's mutated 2007 form that was after my time), I can see this as nothing as a plus for the attraction.

From my personal experience driving, a significant portion of the guest aren't aware of the storyline because they are too busy looking at the animals. The poaching storyline wanted to be as important as the animals, and it wasn't and never would be.

I think a refined message of conservation relating to real animals in front of guest opposed to a pointed message involving a contrived storyline will be an improvement.

We'll see in the fall.

Mrs. Jobson

Agreed...you are still transported into the wilds af Africa on a guided safari. That is a good story and one that is easy to get immersed in. I was never terribly immersed in the distraction of imaginary helicopters, having to keep my eye out for fake poachers and annoying instructions from Wilson to chase people when I would rather look for real animals.

First off, Wilson was in a plane!:p There ARE real animals. How do you know that this is a positive change and whatever happened to using your imagination? The whole theme of the park is Adventure. So there's no story? Where is the message now?

Mrs. Jobson

Personally I find the point of KS is to transport you into an African Safari and make it feel like you are actually there. The storyline involving the poachers was not upsetting to me, just annoying. You are just zooming from the poacherless camp to the poacherless truck where the baby elephant sits and his mother is missing and presumed dead while the baby apparently was safe the entire time. This means I just wasted precious time away from being magically transported to an African Safari trying to save an elephant who didn't need any help in the first place. :shrug:

The story was already whitewashed once taking out the death of Big Red and left it as just a senseless annoying mess with no ending. I have no problem with darker elements to a ride or with providing a message but it needs to be seamlessly integrated with the theme of the ride and this one was not.

I am happier knowing I can experience an African safari which will be more comparable to the ones I have done in Kenya and Zambia than try to get involved in a poorly contrived plot.

Boy do I wish there was a dislike button!

I_heart_Tigger

First off, Wilson was in a plane!:p There ARE real animals. How do you know that this is a positive change and whatever happened to using your imagination? The whole theme of the park is Adventure. So there's no story? Where is the message now?

Oh well that completely changes my mind - now that he was in a plane though I said helicopter even though the poachers weren't actually after Big Red or Little Red and even though Little Red was safe all along and there was no need to zip past the animals and therefore their contrived plot made zero sense at all, now that he is in a plane not a helicopter that fixes everything.

The "story" is that you are on a safari in Africa. If that is not enough adventure for you don't go on the attraction. That has always been and will always be the main enjoyment. If you get more enjoyment out of non-existant poachers who are not chasing a fake baby elephant rather than seeing real animals this is really not an attraction you should ever go on again.

Luckily I have a great imagination, I don't need a broken, hole-ridden, sorry excuse for a plot to imagine myself on a safari in Africa - which is what I thought the African Safari ride was supposed to be - a safari in Africa. Unfortunately their completely non-sensical plot did more to remove me from the actual "story" of being on an African Safari rather than to immerse me in it.

If someone must have a message it is readily available all over AK especially in CS and KRR. You can get your fill of the ecological ramifications of the human element and it's potential distruction of the animal kingdom there. They did not do it justice on KS, the plot was poorly executed, badly adapted and in need of some adjustment otherwise it made no sense to anyone who actually paid attention to it.

If anyone cannot see the value of enjoying the beautiful savannah and it's awe-inspiring inhabitants or does not have enough imagination to put themselves on a safari in Africa without a contrived plot to entertain them - this is not an attraction they should choose.

Boy do I wish there was a dislike button!

Yes, how sad that the entire world is not just a giant Facebook page :rolleyes:

disney fan 13

Personally, I liked the story. If I just wanted to drive by animals slowly I would go to Lion Country Safari that's 10-15 minutes away from my house. Just my opinion though...

Tip Top Club

Personally, I liked the story. If I just wanted to drive by animals slowly I would go to Lion Country Safari that's 10-15 minutes away from my house. Just my opinion though...

As much as I am a rabid defender of this change, I do actually agree somewhat. Part of me wishes there was a little bit of Radio Chatter to reinforce the story of Harambe/Kilimanjaro Safaris. But not a full blown plot.

WDW1974

Want to elaborate on these videos, maybe post a link?

Can't do the link deal, they're personal and will remain so (and, no, they aren't mine ... which is what made viewing them all the more fascinating).

But I will elaborate at some point maybe next week when my trip is over.

I will say in hours of watching, I didn't see one ECV or morbidly obese person (and, yes, those are societal issues, but WDW doesn't exist apart from society no matter what some fanbois think).

The product was so incredibly high as the 90s began that today's product bares no more than a passing resemblance of what once was. That's a fact-based opinion that really is mostly fact.:ROFLOL:

But, yeah, I will post a thread about what I saw and the differences between then and now ... and I'd love for Jenn Fickley-Baker or Thomas Smith to join it and spin some for TWDC.:wave::p:drevil:

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Give me a second.... :ROFLOL:

Lion Country cannot even remotely hold a candle to KJS and I used to live 10 minutes from it as well. Wow, just wow. I would much rather see more animals with a bit of chatter, as stated above, than one small set to create a plot for the attraction. More animals are always a welcome addition.

disney fan 13

Give me a second.... :ROFLOL:

Lion Country cannot even remotely hold a candle to KJS and I used to live 10 minutes from it as well. Wow, just wow. I would much rather see more animals with a bit of chatter, as stated above, than one small set to create a plot for the attraction. More animals are always a welcome addition.

Hey as I said, just my opinion, even if that place is a run down mess you got my point. Which is that story adds to the experience. To he honest I could have switched lion country for the one at bush gardens Tampa ( believe that's were that was... Hmm

P.S Were did you live down here?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Hey as I said, just my opinion, even if that place is a run down mess you got my point. Which is that story adds to the experience. To he honest I could have switched lion country for the one at bush gardens Tampa ( believe that's were that was... Hmm

P.S Were did you live down here?

In Wellington. I guess I am just one of the ones that went to LionC and couldn't wait to get... each time.

Mrs. Jobson

Oh well that completely changes my mind - now that he was in a plane though I said helicopter even though the poachers weren't actually after Big Red or Little Red and even though Little Red was safe all along and there was no need to zip past the animals and therefore their contrived plot made zero sense at all, now that he is in a plane not a helicopter that fixes everything.

The "story" is that you are on a safari in Africa. If that is not enough adventure for you don't go on the attraction. That has always been and will always be the main enjoyment. If you get more enjoyment out of non-existant poachers who are not chasing a fake baby elephant rather than seeing real animals this is really not an attraction you should ever go on again.

Luckily I have a great imagination, I don't need a broken, hole-ridden, sorry excuse for a plot to imagine myself on a safari in Africa - which is what I thought the African Safari ride was supposed to be - a safari in Africa. Unfortunately their completely non-sensical plot did more to remove me from the actual "story" of being on an African Safari rather than to immerse me in it.

If someone must have a message it is readily available all over AK especially in CS and KRR. You can get your fill of the ecological ramifications of the human element and it's potential distruction of the animal kingdom there. They did not do it justice on KS, the plot was poorly executed, badly adapted and in need of some adjustment otherwise it made no sense to anyone who actually paid attention to it.

If anyone cannot see the value of enjoying the beautiful savannah and it's awe-inspiring inhabitants or does not have enough imagination to put themselves on a safari in Africa without a contrived plot to entertain them - this is not an attraction they should choose.

Yes, how sad that the entire world is not just a giant Facebook page :rolleyes:

OK, you need to calm down. I was trying to make light of your petty little remarks. If you must know, I was a Cast Member for Kilimanjaro Safaris and delivered that story and facts about the animals everyday. Yes, I love the story and love the animals and will continue to ride every chance I get. Do I agree with some of the changes? Yes Some I do not! The Safari is about the animals however sometimes driving around on a hot day in July or August, there aren't any animals visible to talk about. So, yes there should be some sort of storyline/spiel talking up the dangers still going on to this day with poaching and habitat loss.

Every park is different. Do you go to EPCOT thinking your going to ride roller coasters? If you want to go to a park to ride roller coasters then you should head on over to those other parks in central Florida. Disney is in the business of THEMEPARKS!

I hope you have a good day! Cheer up friend!:)

kukua macho kwa majangili

I_heart_Tigger

OK, you need to calm down. I was trying to make light of your petty little remarks. If you must know, I was a Cast Member for Kilimanjaro Safaris and delivered that story and facts about the animals everyday. Yes, I love the story and love the animals and will continue to ride every chance I get. Do I agree with some of the changes? Yes Some I do not! The Safari is about the animals however sometimes driving around on a hot day in July or August, there aren't any animals visible to talk about. So, yes there should be some sort of storyline/spiel talking up the dangers still going on to this day with poaching and habitat loss.

Every park is different. Do you go to EPCOT thinking your going to ride roller coasters? If you want to go to a park to ride roller coasters then you should head on over to those other parks in central Florida. Disney is in the business of THEMEPARKS!

I hope you have a good day! Cheer up friend!:)

kukua macho kwa majangili

I'm actually very calm...some people tell me I'm too laid back, in fact. :cool: Perhaps you read more into me giving my opinion than was intended or maybe you didn't get the humour of me pointing out that the word helicopter instead of airplane wasn't really the point of my message. I'm also pretty cheerful...having a fabulous day in fact.

Did you happen to work with Melanie K, Kimmi O or Randy P. They were KS CMs who HATED the lines they had to deliver with Wilson. They were also fantastic when there was a lull as they were so educated on the animals and the habitats that they didn't require an absurd plot to fill holes for them some of the CM's don't seem as able to improv as they did but hopfully this will improve. My point, which I still wonder if you understood, since you didn't have a response to that - is that the plot made no sense. You are chasing poachers thinking they are harming an elephant and find out that the poachers were doing no such thing and that the elephant was never in danger. Don't you find that a little ridiculous?

My issue is not with the inclusion of a message it is with the way that message was delivered. There is plenty of opportunity to discuss animals habitats and the dangers of ecological destruction withoout trying to twist in a half-hearted, utterly forced plot line that makes no sense at all.

I guess living for a year in Malawi and having been on actual safaris in Africa I think they are very entertaining without utilizing cheap plots to pander to the crowd that needs hair raising excitement on every twist and turn. I also think Disney has done a pretty decent job at creating a safari and would welcome opinions from others who have spent time in Africa to see if they agree. People that need more excitement than that should maybe try a different attraction. Frankly I feel bad for people that don't see the safari the same way I do as (other than the forced plot) I find it a wonderful attraction due to the animals and some of the great CM's.

Also, I don't understand your question about Epcot and coasters at all...no I don't go to Epcot thinking I'm going to ride coasters - I never said I did. I go to Epcot for various reasons - firstly because I worked there so it was my job to go there :D and also because of the attractions and dining.

Do you go to Animal Kingdom to chase imaginary poachers on a high speed chase through the savannah to help a fake elephant who is actually in no danger at all? If you do, unfortunately that's going to change. I go to Animal Kingdom because I like the animals and I am thankful that Disney has chosen to highlight this rather than the tired useless plot line the CM's have been reluctantly spouting over the years.

Also, just because you don't like my opinions it doesn't mean that they are "petty little remarks". I welcome your opinion on the subject and I appreciate a good debate as much as any other intelligent person does but to call my comments petty just because you disagree with me is ignorant and...well...petty.

Respek het 'n pad, maar moet reis twee maniere

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom