Kilamanjaro safari question

glendroid

Original Poster
About the suspension bridge.

isnt it supposed to simulate your truck nearly falling as the bridge collapses?

i noticed last time i rode it the effect was not there?

Courtney1188

I too have been wondering the last few times if it was my imagination, or if this part of the ride has been toned down quite a bit. I tried to search for the answer, but all the changes I can ever find out about are those to the actual plot.

glendroid

Original Poster
it was one of the few effects that nearly made me wet myself haha

so this is something i would like to know about

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There is a bridge that rocks as you cross it. I wouldn't call it a "suspension" bridge though. It simulates a rickety, collapsing bridge. The effect will only work if there is sufficient time since the most recent truck crossing, so even when the effect is working, every truck won't necessarily get the effect.

Last time I was on safari it was working, but that was in August. :shrug:

T-1MILLION

I really remember the bridge giving a good tip the first few times I ever rode. Where it would be rickety and then lean to the side to he point of making your mind think the truck was going to tip right over the edge into some crocks. There is also concept art out there of this.

brkgnews

I have had alternating experiences over the past few yearrs with the effect working, and not working. When I rode last week, it was not working.

jakeman

It depends on the truck in front of you and how close your truck is to it.

I don't think the bridge is 101 completely, just rather folks have been unlucky.

Rob562

It also depends on the driver. If they overshoot the sensor on the bridge, the effect won't go off.

-Rob

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Rob would know
It's been my understanding (and experience) from the beginning that the effect does not (or is not supposed) to happen for every vehicle. Just as everyone does not get the same water spray on SM or KRR.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Liek Rob said, sensors and speed have a lot to play in if it will work. There was also an issue with the bird skirts on the truck axles a while back blocking the sensors. The driver knows how much to ham it up before hand normally by a status indicator before the truck reaches the bridge.

Trivia: the bridge is based on an actual bridge in Africa and recreated beam by beam, and it is just 18 inches above ground level!

carrs52

I read in Unofficial Guide 2009 that they removed this part of the ride based on rider feedback and they really scaled back on the catching poachers theme. It is now more mild for younger children. We were there 2/7-2/14 there was no shaking bridge and only on phone call from "Wilson" to help with the poachers.

Rob562

I read in Unofficial Guide 2009 that they removed this part of the ride based on rider feedback and they really scaled back on the catching poachers theme. It is now more mild for younger children. We were there 2/7-2/14 there was no shaking bridge and only on phone call from "Wilson" to help with the poachers.

The storyline was changed a couple years ago, where the bad guys aren't really "poachers" but rather "elephant kidnappers". I haven't ridden the safari since late 2007, but even after the storyline changed, the shaking bridge was still there.

-Rob

fosse76

The storyline was changed a couple years ago, where the bad guys aren't really "poachers" but rather "elephant kidnappers". I haven't ridden the safari since late 2007, but even after the storyline changed, the shaking bridge was still there.

They still call them poachers. The only thing that was different (that I noticed) was that originally the mother elephant was found shot. I personally think that they should just get rid of the storyline. Being on a safari is story enough.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
To save money, couldnt they just fit screens all around the truck showing wildlife footage and have it shaken by CMs to give it the feel of movement.

Very green and would save loads while keeping "shakers employed

City Hall

There are a number of reasons why the bridge may not collapse during your two week safari. It is in fact on a sensor with a spaced interval. (This is why sometimes drivers go very slow or stop in the bushes, waiting for their green light.) To properly collapse the bridge a driver must maintain a slow speed. If a driver goes too fast sensors will override the effect. It takes (or at least used to take) a second truck crossing the bridge to reset this effect. So if your driver or the one ahead of them was going too fast it can mean a no show. Additionally, like all effects it can encounter purely technical difficulties. Finally, during peak times of the year management may opt to turn off the bridge effect to allow more trucks to follow more closely and travel at higher speeds through this area, thus increasing capacity and reducing your wait time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom