Kids sitting alone on rides

bpadair32

Why would the 9 year old ride twice? first time Mom stays with the baby, Dad rides with the 6 year old. Second time Dad stays and mom rides with the 4 year old. The 9 year old gets to ride it when either Mom or Dad rides but not twice. All you accomplish by trying to get the 9 year old on twice is to slow the lines down for other people, no reason for the 9 year old to ride twice.

Because the rider swap is good for 3 people, so let the kid have fun and let mom and dad each have a chance to enjoy riding with him.

thomas998

Because the rider swap is good for 3 people, so let the kid have fun and let mom and dad each have a chance to enjoy riding with him.
And if its a fastpass you've already slowed down the line and enjoyment of people in waiting in the normal line, no reason those people should have to suffer having to wait longer so some 9 year old can ride it twice. Remember on rides where only 2 people ride together there is no mom or dad enjoying riding with him because they are sitting with the younger sibling.

bpadair32

And if its a fastpass you've already slowed down the line and enjoyment of people in waiting in the normal line, no reason those people should have to suffer having to wait longer so some 9 year old can ride it twice. Remember on rides where only 2 people ride together there is no mom or dad enjoying riding with him because they are sitting with the younger sibling.

If you get this worked up over the wait time added by 1 or 2 people, maybe a vacation with a lot of lines isn't the best option.

nickys

Premium Member

You know you can book FPs too, don’t you?

What exactly is your problem here? This is how rider switch works and always has done. It’s to allow both parents to ride, where one has to watch little children. The parent who waits then gets to go into the fastpass line, along with up to two older kids - so both parents and children get to have fun together. Otherwise one parent has to ride alone, not a lot of fun there.

Clearly you feel this is unjust, but that’s how WDW designed it.

KIsAPrincess

In response to the question about the 9 and 6 year old riding together as long as a parent can visually see them:

I took my two daughters to Magic Kingdom (Daughter 11 and Daughter 4). The three of us went on to Dumbo. My two daughters got in the ride together. Daughter 11 was asked how old she was. She answered 11. They made her ride alone and had the 4 year old ride with me. It was a bummer for them because they wanted to ride together. It didn't matter that I was directly in the elephant behind them. (And for what it's worth - my 11 year old is almost 5'7" - she definitely looks older than 11).

Andrew M

Yes. While they are ok with the kids being in front of you together on the spinning rides like Aladdin, you can’t do that on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Everest, Slinky Dog, Splash, Barnstormer, or any other thrill ride I’m not thinking of where only two sit in a row. An adult must be in the same row as any child under 7. Big Thunder allows 3 in a row. Test Track, Soarin, ToT, Star Tours, Kali, and Dinosaur are also fine.

Interesting. I went on 7DMT with my 3 & 4 yr old this past March, they both sat next to eachother in the row infront of me.

Gillyanne

Interesting. I went on 7DMT with my 3 & 4 yr old this past March, they both sat next to eachother in the row infront of me.

And now that I think of it, I think the pictures my friend posts of her, hubby, and 2 DD (8 & 6 I believe) She and hubby are sitting in the row behind the girls.

Also years ago, I remember doing Barnstormer, me, step dad and a younger niece (she's 15 now but don't remember how old she was then, def little) and she rode in front of us with another (not related to us) kid from line who was also in an odd number group. Step dad and I sat behind them, not sure where his family was haha.

thomas998

You know you can book FPs too, don’t you?

What exactly is your problem here? This is how rider switch works and always has done. It’s to allow both parents to ride, where one has to watch little children. The parent who waits then gets to go into the fastpass line, along with up to two older kids - so both parents and children get to have fun together. Otherwise one parent has to ride alone, not a lot of fun there.

Clearly you feel this is unjust, but that’s how WDW designed it.
The system is supposed to allow everyone in the party to ride the ride. It isn't supposed to give some people the option of riding it twice and taking up an extra vehicle. If we are talking about a ride where 3 riders can ride in a car then it doesn't matter if the 9 year old in this situation rides with both parents both times because it doesn't impact any other guests... but if it is a ride like 7 dwarves that always has a long line and where the 9 year old will be riding alone each time because the cars only hold 1 rider and mom and dad will have to ride with one of the younger siblings each time it means the 9 year old will end up using space each time that would otherwise be available to another guest... well in that situation it does impact others and it simply isn't right.

thomas998

If you get this worked up over the wait time added by 1 or 2 people, maybe a vacation with a lot of lines isn't the best option.
I get worked up about people trying to game a system at the expense of others doesn't matter if it is a line at Disney or ripping off a store in my home town. I would hate to live in a world where everyone wanted to ignore doing the right thing and just say let it slight here or let it slide there... Doing that might not matter if it only happened once in a blue moon but the reality is these things snowball and eventually the make things a mess for anything not willing to scam the system. You know like at DL when people used to hire handicapped people to go to the park with them so they could jump the lines... That didn't really matter when only one person did it, but eventually it became such a problem that Disney had to change the whole system. Same thing will happen here if enough people start gaming the system and other people start complaining about it. You'll eventually end up without a swap system at all, that wouldn't bother me at all but do you really think every parent of a young child should suffer in the future because of some people gaming the system now?

nickys

Premium Member
It is not gaming the system. It is how WDW run the system.

They could allow only the initial non-riders ride the second time around. Instead they choose to let 3 people ride second.

If you don’t like it, then tough luck. Try taking it up,with WDW rather than people who post on a fan forum.

bpadair32

I get worked up about people trying to game a system at the expense of others doesn't matter if it is a line at Disney or ripping off a store in my home town. I would hate to live in a world where everyone wanted to ignore doing the right thing and just say let it slight here or let it slide there... Doing that might not matter if it only happened once in a blue moon but the reality is these things snowball and eventually the make things a mess for anything not willing to scam the system. You know like at DL when people used to hire handicapped people to go to the park with them so they could jump the lines... That didn't really matter when only one person did it, but eventually it became such a problem that Disney had to change the whole system. Same thing will happen here if enough people start gaming the system and other people start complaining about it. You'll eventually end up without a swap system at all, that wouldn't bother me at all but do you really think every parent of a young child should suffer in the future because of some people gaming the system now?

Its not gaming the system, it is using the system as designed. Disney didn't say that rider swap allows the parent and different kids to ride each time, they said rider swap allows 3 people to ride. Get over yourself.

CaptainAmerica

Why would the 9 year old ride twice? first time Mom stays with the baby, Dad rides with the 6 year old. Second time Dad stays and mom rides with the 4 year old. The 9 year old gets to ride it when either Mom or Dad rides but not twice. All you accomplish by trying to get the 9 year old on twice is to slow the lines down for other people, no reason for the 9 year old to ride twice.
That is not correct. The 9 year old is allowed to ride twice, it's explicitly part of the policy.

CaptainAmerica

The system is supposed to allow everyone in the party to ride the ride. It isn't supposed to give some people the option of riding it twice and taking up an extra vehicle. If we are talking about a ride where 3 riders can ride in a car then it doesn't matter if the 9 year old in this situation rides with both parents both times because it doesn't impact any other guests... but if it is a ride like 7 dwarves that always has a long line and where the 9 year old will be riding alone each time because the cars only hold 1 rider and mom and dad will have to ride with one of the younger siblings each time it means the 9 year old will end up using space each time that would otherwise be available to another guest... well in that situation it does impact others and it simply isn't right.
Are you joking?

My family is four people. Mom, Dad, Big Sister, Little Sister.

Dad and Big Sister ride while Mom stays back with Little Sister. Are you serious objecting to Mom riding with Big Sister (thus Big Sister riding twice) while Dad waits with Little Sister? Your position is seriously that Mom should have to ride alone while Dad sits with both girls doing nothing? How fun for Mom, who is riding alone, Dad, who has both kids to himself, and both sisters, who get to do nothing fun whatsoever. I know a lot of people like single rider but for most of us with families, the joy of experience these attractions is to experience them with our loved ones.

Andrew M

Are you joking?

My family is four people. Mom, Dad, Big Sister, Little Sister.

Dad and Big Sister ride while Mom stays back with Little Sister. Are you serious objecting to Mom riding with Big Sister (thus Big Sister riding twice) while Dad waits with Little Sister? Your position is seriously that Mom should have to ride alone while Dad sits with both girls doing nothing? How fun for Mom, who is riding alone, Dad, who has both kids to himself, and both sisters, who get to do nothing fun whatsoever. I know a lot of people like single rider but for most of us with families, the joy of experience these attractions is to experience them with our loved ones.

I’m not sure what you expect, clearly Walt Disney World is no place to enjoy experiences together as a family, especially when it gets in the way of childless adults trying to ride as many rides in as little time as possible.

Raineman

Its not gaming the system, it is using the system as designed. Disney didn't say that rider swap allows the parent and different kids to ride each time, they said rider swap allows 3 people to ride. Get over yourself.
Well said. Also, I would hope that, with anything at WDW, if there was a way to "game the system", Disney would figure it out beforehand, or soon after implementation, and take steps to eliminate any possibility of that.

Andrew M

Well said. Also, I would hope that, with anything at WDW, if there was a way to "game the system", Disney would figure it out beforehand, or soon after implementation, and take steps to eliminate any possibility of that.

Exactly. Just like when people were using duplicate MDE accounts and Magic Bands for people not even admitted into the park to get extra fastpasses. Disney got wise to it and shut it down.

disneyfireman

Oh I agree so much. lol. It isn’t gaming. Is using it to your advantage. And all with in the “rules”. Some folks just have a holier than thou attitude. Sad really anyone takes themselves that serious.

disneyfireman

I need to vomit. Seriously. Don’t take yourself so.....serious. It is not gaming the system. It is simply doing what folks are allowed to do. The sun will come up tomorrow. I promise.
I’d love to share how you can “game” fast pass plus. But I’m afraid you’d have a coronary. Lol. So I’ll leave that my self. Lol. Oh and our family uses single rider lines where ever possible. Especially DL. And you know we almost always still ride together. The horror of that But even if we get split up. So what. It beats waiting.

disneyfireman

I’m not sure what you expect, clearly Walt Disney World is no place to enjoy experiences together as a family, especially when it gets in the way of childless adults trying to ride as many rides in as little time as possible.

We use single rider lines with our kids I go first and just wait on the rest after the ride. Works great and sometimes. We still ride together. When we don’t have a fast pass and the line is a bit long. Single rider is great. Rock n rollercoaster especially.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom