kids meet height requirement depending on shoes

Batphobic

Original Poster
My kids meet the height requirements, but it is close, and actually might not depending on which pair of shoes we bring. Don't get me wrong, we don't dress our kids in 70's style platform shoes. But was wondering...

Anyone have experience with a cast member challenging that this or that "strategy" for getting the kids through? Or do they just send kids through as long as their head hits the height bar?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As long as your kids are wearing normal shoes (ie no 6" high orthopedic soles) and there is no evidence of you were shoving napkins in their shoes or something similar you will be fine.

One thing I did run into with my youngest is that she was scrunching up to try and fit under the height bar for some reason thereby making herself too short. We started to tell her to bump her head on the bar and that problem went away.

My brother tried to get his 5 year-old on Space Mountain last year by poofing up her hair and having her wear shoes with heels. I believe the CM asked her to take off her shoes, and then said "No, sorry".

UberPlannerMom

I think the cast members must be really good at eyeballing it because they never once even questioned my son. He is 42" in his barefeet and we were going on 40' rides but still sometimes I have trouble identifying from sight if he is big enough!:shrug:

As a side note... the advertising that showed up at the bottom of this thread for me- shoe lifts to make yourself appear taller! :ROFLOL:

Thrill Seeker

Keep in mind that height requirements are put in place for your child's safety, so if they don't make it naturally, please don't make them appear taller than they are. It's not worth risking your child's life to go on a ride...

jimmy5575

I have seen situations where a child is asked to take her shoes off at the measuring stick. I would prepare you child for not being able to ride (just in case) and have them happy if they can. Also you should try to hit the attractions where height might be an issue earlier in the day b/c you can lose as much as an inch in height throughout the day due to gravity's effects on the body.

Figment1986

A lot of times the parks figure in a natural childs shoe height (hence why some parks have rides at 43" and not 42") but if your trying to push their height by using shoes which are not normal height they will get caught. as someone else said, use their normal shoes and remind them they may not make the height requirement this trip for this attraction. then if they dont they were prepared and if they do they get more excited.

NYwdwfan

My neice rode Soarin 2 years ago and the CM let her thru w/o measuring (a good eye-baller I guess!). She LOVED it. We went back the next day and the CM measured her and she was a half inch short (she was now wearing her Mickey crocs instead of sneakers w/socks - could have been the difference). She was SO bummed - and tried to argue that she had been on it before but to no avail. Like the prior poster said, safety measures are there for a reason.

castevens

My neice rode Soarin 2 years ago and the CM let her thru w/o measuring (a good eye-baller I guess!). She LOVED it. We went back the next day and the CM measured her and she was a half inch short (she was now wearing her Mickey crocs instead of sneakers w/socks - could have been the difference). She was SO bummed - and tried to argue that she had been on it before but to no avail. Like the prior poster said, safety measures are there for a reason.

Of course, they put the cutoff at a conservative number so that the chance of a 40.1" person being harmed by their height is next to none, and therefor a half inch short would not make a difference, buuuuuttttt....the line has to be drawn *somewhere*

castevens

I can imagine :)

I'd be a terrible cast member because I'd let people in who *just* miss the height requirement (and probably be fired for it)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom