KevinPage will Cry

General Grizz

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
Well the Lion King was a world wide smash and L&S was a minor hit, for starters. And you didn't see Simba all over the parks like you see Stitch. If there were multiple attractions based on L&S (Some people forget about the "L") and they were as good as the Lion King attractions, I dont' think anyone would have a problem. But if there had been a "Simba Kingdom" announcement on the Monorail back then along with other overkill ads, you would see the same type of backlash.

So it really is different.
Doesn't really matter in terms of the movie, as the Stitch ads promote the attraction more than anything else.

LK promotions were high quality attractions... Stitch promotions are decals, audios, pins, decor. . .that is, in terms of the analogy.

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
LK promotions were high quality attractions... Stitch promotions are decals, audios, pins, decor. . .that is, in terms of the analogy.

Right. If the LK ATTRACTIONS had been promoted as heavily as the Stitch attraction is being promoted, then there would have been the same type of backlash back then. But they weren't.

That's what I ment to say, but you did it better :)

MKCustodial

Anything done over the top becomes old quickly. I liked when the parks had some balance. I mean, even when they over do the Big Chees it kinda gets on you. Nowadays, though, I think I'd kill to have Mickey everywhere, just so we could get a little less Pooh and Stitch.

For the record, I'm one of those who likes the movie (and the TV series) but is already fed up with the character. Thankfully, there's been no Stitch on VMK yet, but Tomorrowland has yet to open so...

KevinPage

The thing that upsets ME the most is no one is talking about ME in this thread. Heck, it's titled after ME, show ME some love please. :king:

General Grizz said:
It's funny. Lilo and Stitch was the first new release since Beauty and the Beast that I bought on video - I LOVE the film. I went out and bought merchandise, which is strange for me as I don't have much as far as film collectables go..

I loved the movie (and still do )and the marketing that promoted the movie as well

General Grizz said:
It's the fact that marketing has gone mad out of a failing attraction.Perhaps if the attraction were good or well received, such promotion could be considered more highly. But when the attraction is treated like the next Disney attraction messiah, it bashes the entire image of the resort and the defintion of an "exciting, innovative, new Disney experience."

Even if the attraction was super duper awesome, the way it has been promoted is over the top. I have no problems with park maps, wake up calls and billboards. The monorail speil is inexcusable no matter how you cut it. The monorail decals I could have lived with if they were short term, but with everything else going on they add fuel to the fire. The total Stitch merchandise package annoys me more than any 1 specific thing.

But everyone must remember, Stitch is the 3rd most popular character behind Pooh & Mickey, they are going to promote him, especially when a new ride opens, so it's not like I don't understand or like the character.

Same thing with Star Wars, which I love. Sometimes the mass merchandising grates on you and you get sick of hearing and seeing Star Wars stuff. I'm also like that with music, if I listen to a certain CD too much it becomes boring and less exciting. It's a fine line you have to balance and Marketing went the blitzkrieg approach on this one.

WDI should have pulled a Robin Williams in Aladdin: you can't promote the ride more than 25%, since they both worked for dirt cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. - Remember this thread is about ME

wannab@dis

eh, they've gone overboard, but they are working it for the kids, not us. The kids love Stitch, so as long as he's popular, he'll be used in the marketing.

And one more thing... it's Stitch, not Stich. :rolleyes:

MKCustodial

I take it you're an alien lover? :lol:

Again, it's not that I don't like Stitch. And I understand the kids love him, just as they love Pooh, and we all saw where that led us. Will we be getting a "The Pleakley Movie" soon? I mean, if the kids want it...

Kids usually have a shorter attention span than us. How long do you think before they start saying: "Stitch again? Awww!"

And I fondly remember a time when the Walt Disney World Resort was planned around families having fun, and not dissecting it so that the teens have thrills, the kids have characters and the parents have shops.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
since the thread is about kevin.......... ill sayyyyyyy hey kevin. whats up. lol

the other thing i was going to say..... it is disappointing that his voice is still on the monorail............. but what is more disturbing is that when ever i see Stitch i think of Lilo, and when i think of Lilo.... i think of WDWHumanmap since she is her avatar. :p jk

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
And one more thing... it's Stitch, not Stich. :rolleyes:
I always appreciated the clever play on words from WDFA FLA. In the film, our alien becomes a loveable creature that STITCHES a family back together. :D

Or as Kim Possible might say, What's the Stitch?

Or in the case of this thread, What's a Stich? :lookaroun

lawyergirl77

I didn't even know that Stitch's voice was on the monorail spiel - I didn't hear it on the resort loop...

Count me in with the people who loved Lilo and Stitch, THE MOVIE, but hated the ride and all of the marketing crap that has come in its wake. The decal of Stitch on the buses is particularly gross (he has his tongue up his nose, digging for nose gold). It's just gross, and Mr. Lawyergirl and I did our best to avoid looking at the poster the whole time we were there (and he no longer has any desire to see the movie).

DavyPR

you would think disney had enough characters to have a random recording each time the monorail passes a certain point. that would elliminate only stitch or only mickey, what about the other characters in our kingdom. theres so much incredible talent working in disney and no ones putting the talented peoples good ideas to good use :)

Shanice

Account Suspended
The only reason you see Stitch everywhere is because so many people are buying his merchandise. So all you who are sick of him well stop buying Stitch crap and maybe he will go away! haha

CaptainMichael

Shanice said:
The only reason you see Stitch everywhere is because so many people are buying his merchandise. So all you who are sick of him well stop buying Stitch crap and maybe he will go away! haha

I only buy Mickey stuff, and I only take pictures with Mickey and Donald! Which reminds me. Beware of the photographers at Disney-MGM Studios. They'll ask you to hold their hat in the picture. Later on Stitch will be added to the photo. At the Magic Kingdom they add Tink!

GIR

Account Suspended
LOLOLOLZZ!!!! Ever i see that pattookie fecal matters on the window i say hahahah lolololer!! STITCH CRAPPED!!!! HEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEE~~ :kiss: :) :hurl: :lookaroun :lol: :lol: :lol:

General Grizz

Original Poster
lawyergirl77 said:
I didn't even know that Stitch's voice was on the monorail spiel - I didn't hear it on the resort loop...

Count me in with the people who loved Lilo and Stitch, THE MOVIE, but hated the ride and all of the marketing crap that has come in its wake. The decal of Stitch on the buses is particularly gross (he has his tongue up his nose, digging for nose gold). It's just gross, and Mr. Lawyergirl and I did our best to avoid looking at the poster the whole time we were there (and he no longer has any desire to see the movie).
The tongue is OK compared to the butt closeup -- HORRIBLE... (both on bus and monorail).

FigmentJedi

mkepcotmgmak said:
WHAT!!!!! it's not MICKEY ANYMORE!?!?!?! WALT'S HEAD IS ROLLING OVER IN HIS FROZEN LAIR BENEATH THE CASTLE!
Wrong, Walt's frozen BODY is underneath the Carousel of Progress and the constant spinning in his grave is what has kept the attraction turning for the past 10 or so years.

SirNim

^Absolutely, 100% correct.
(btw, the motion of the spinning is also used to power an electricity generator, the energy from which is diverted to the UOE over at Epcot)

MagliteL13

speck76 said:
personally, I think Goofy should be the voice of the monorail, replacing the current guy.

I would love to hear Goofy say "Please stand clear of the doors - Por favor, mantegan se allejado de las puertas"

Now that would be frigging hillarious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom