Kevin Yee- Parks close one day a week?

Fun2BFree

Original Poster
Kevin Yee writes in his column today (http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky061008a.htm), furthering his ongoing 'WDW is Screwed' motif. He goes on to say:
Because otherwise, another contingency plan may be enacted - brace yourself - to close down one Disney World theme park at least one day per week. The Magic Kingdom (MK) appears safe (it's such a big draw) as Epcot (E) (it has so many corporate sponsors that would demand otherwise), but Disney's Animal Kingdom (DAK) and Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS) may well be dark, locked, and inaccessible one day a week, starting in early 2009 if attendance levels get bad enough. Obviously, the plan would be to take turns. Perhaps Monday would see DAK go dark, and more people would rush into MK, E, and DHS as a result. Then, on Tuesday, DHS would stay locked, and MK, E, and DAK would get increased traffic.
Regardless, this is all speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt, but I kind of like the idea- not only does it cut costs, but the park closed could get some maintenance.

Thoughts?

That article seems to be saying "Crowds are just as high as ever at the moment... but you never know, they might reduce drastically within the next few weeks... and you never know, that might mean they reduce the opening hours... and you never know, they might even close a park one day a week."

You never know, none of that may happen. I've looked at booking flights to Orlando from London in late September and many of the cheaper tour operators are sold-out.

What happened to WDW in previous recessions? Did they do any of this stuff?

If attendance levels get bad enough in 2009? is this guy talking about? Those 4 parks are the 4 highest attended parks IN THE WORLD!! And, there's been talk for what, years now, about a 5th Gate, or a "boutique" park, etc...

I call major shenanigans...

wdwfan100

I hit the reply button and then thought, why bother. It seems to me that it would take something catastrophic to reduce attendance that low to result in park closures. Whoops, it looks like I replied after all.:brick:

redkoala245

Are you sure this is true (I don't think so)? Does this person work for or know someone of WDW?
This is impossible to close a park down, the 4 are really popular parks. But why?
Don't they do maintenance for certain places of the park while you are visiting?
Disney could really loose people if they do this.

Figment76

Isn't this the same guy making the claim that an outside consulting group has advised Disney to sell the theme parks if oil hits $160/barrel? He does seem to have a "sky is falling" tendency.

It will be interesting to see how much attendence falls, if it does at all, with the rising costs of travel, though, and the effects that will have on the parks.

Unplugged

I hit the reply button and then thought, why bother. It seems to me that it would take something catastrophic to reduce attendance that low to result in park closures. Whoops, it looks like I replied after all.:brick:

Glad I ran into your post prior to my reply...was going to be the same thing.

The topic of a park being closed due to weather (hurricane & tornado) is always a minor possibility during the season. But a slow down in the parks justifying one closing? I say "Hey Mr. Yee, re-shake that 8 ball and post again!"

WildLodgeFan

Isn't this the same guy making the claim that an outside consulting group has advised Disney to sell the theme parks if oil hits $160/barrel? He does seem to have a "sky is falling" tendency.

It will be interesting to see how much attendence falls, if it does at all, with the rising costs of travel, though, and the effects that will have on the parks.

Probably a speculator, they seem to thrive on the sky is falling approach - that's how they scoop up in the commodities and stock markets. (okay my conspiracy shell is showing)

uklad79

This guy is clueless. I wonder what he does for a job. Anyway he is most likely reading this thread and getting all excited (in the bad way) that he is being talked about. Serious attention deficit disorder springs to mind as he makes up total c**p to get talked about. Sad man.

hokielutz

Probably a speculator, they seem to thrive on the sky is falling approach - that's how they scoop up in the commodities and stock markets. (okay my conspiracy shell is showing)

Quite frankly... when all common sense and fundamentals are in direct opposition to the results.... then all that is left is the absurd.

speculators and conspiracy theories may not be so far-fetched.

hemloc

Actually, this could happen at some point. We are already feeling it in South Florida. For example, the Discovery Sun daily cruises to the Bahamas have been pretty much canceled on Wednesdays due to the rising costs of fuel and lack of passengers. There is talk of cutting back even more days. This is a pretty big deal, too(Next stop, bankruptcy!). So, anything is possible if gas prices keep going up.

tdonald

Doubt it... things would have to be a lot worse for this to happen... not that it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This won`t happen. Imagine the demands for hopper refunds from tourists (I can only use 3/4 of the hopper today....)

As mentioned, the parks are the busiest in the world. They may cut back on times, as in the mid 70`s energy crisis, but closure would be the last thing to happen.

You guys think you have it bad with gas (petrol) prices? Come over to the UK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom