Kevin Heimbach Explains It All For You

Pepper's Ghost

50 guys changing signs...seems like a waste of resources and money....
Understood. Just keep in mind if they shift additional people to one area, something else will not get done as planned. Finite amount of people to cover WDWs infinite amount of maintenance, etc....
I don't mean to be insulting, but this seems like an uninformed statement. I'm a partner in a development company. During construction or projects, there are different stages. You don't work on everything at once. Obviously you don't start installing electrical wiring in a building that you're still pouring the foundation for. Same goes for stages of a smaller project. You work on scheduled tasks with focus as to not disrupt everything at the same time. You focus on different parts of the project. Splitting resources and working on many things at once can lead to lack of cohesiveness. So it makes sense to concentrate on getting those signs out all at once in the same day. Not a small group of people doing it over weeks or months.

Now that I think about the lack of cohesiveness at Disney, it could be due to lack of focus. Are you the construction manager and project lead for Disney? 🤣 j/k

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Splitting resources and working on many things at once can lead to lack of cohesiveness. So it makes sense to concentrate on getting those signs out all at once in the same day. Not a small group of people doing it over weeks or months.
I wonder what the nightly maintenance list looks like at WDW. I bet it’s not just one thing.

And you absolutely meant to be insulting. 😂

Pepper's Ghost

I wonder what the nightly maintenance list looks like at WDW. I bet it’s not just one thing.
Depends on the size of the job. Replacing a few light bulbs on Main St? Maybe one or two guys tops, for an hour or so. Repairing something much bigger or quantitative? Many more should be focused on it to get it done by opening, right? You can't ignore the size of the project and say put 50 guys working on replacing 5 light bulbs because that's what you suggested for parking lot signs.

Some posters are saying it's too big a job to get done in a day, and then turning around and saying you shouldn't assign a lot of resources to it because it's a waste of time.

I apologize for being insulting. I just don't understand arguing a point that is not reality. My opinion is that the stickers over the parking lot signs were designed to be permanent solutions. If that's not the case, then Disney is cheaping out on labor and not assigning the appropriate resources to get the job done right, and in a reasonable amount of time.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Again.... How do they re-decorate the parks for different holidays overnight? I feel like that was severely overlooked... It's not just a couple of jack o lanterns switched out with candy canes. Just saying..

...parking lot signs don't make them money, though, sadly. 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

Pepper's Ghost

Again.... How do they re-decorate the parks for different holidays overnight? I feel like that was severely overlooked... It's not just a couple of jack o lanterns switched out with candy canes. Just saying..

...parking lot signs don't make them money, though, sadly. 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵
I didn't mean to let this one squeak by. It's an entirely valid point. The one difference I might add is that it's not the same team installing parking lot signs who are decorating the park overnight, but a valid point nonetheless. They could easily start a project with a team once the parks close, and have all signs switched out by the next morning. Even if they couldn't get it done that quick, no more than 2 days. Not weeks or months.

That makes me think all the more that the stickers are the incredibly lame permanent solution. The painting of the pavement is proof. If you're going to paint right over the old lettering with no care for how it looks, explain to me why Disney deserves the benefit of the doubt that the stickers aren't also the permanent solution? Oh wait, the painting of the pavement was also temporary until the install new pavement with clean markings. :rolleyes: Btw, cleaning the pavement of prior markings wouldn't have been that difficult. Most of it should've come off with a torch, the same way they put lines down on temporary pavement when streets are repaved.

Pepper's Ghost

I've not been to Disney for a very long time due to me putting my money where my mouth is. 😁 I'm just curious if anyone knows if the crappy lame stickers over signs were replaced with better "permanent" signs? It's been over 4 months since the last post to this thread and I'm just curious if those who predicted that the lame cheap signs were only temporary proved to be correct. If so, that's great to see that Disney didn't cheap out and they just put up a temporary solution. If not, then it proves that they cheaped out... again, pointing to the same old story of only doing the bare minimum because Disney fans will accept it. I know these are just parking lot signs, but if they left the cheap solution in place, it's really indicative of their overall strategy.

DisneyFanatic12

I've not been to Disney for a very long time due to me putting my money where my mouth is. 😁 I'm just curious if anyone knows if the crappy lame stickers over signs were replaced with better "permanent" signs? It's been over 4 months since the last post to this thread and I'm just curious if those who predicted that the lame cheap signs were only temporary proved to be correct. If so, that's great to see that Disney didn't cheap out and they just put up a temporary solution. If not, then it proves that they cheaped out... again, pointing to the same old story of only doing the bare minimum because Disney fans will accept it. I know these are just parking lot signs, but if they left the cheap solution in place, it's really indicative of their overall strategy.
Those were just temporary signs. Due to shipping delays, the new signs could not arrive in time, so they placed stickers over the old signs. The new ones started coming in about a week later. The final sign was installed just about a month after the temporary signs went up.

However, Disney never said they were temporary signs… everyone just assumed they were the new permanent signs. You could see the old names of the parking lot sections through the signs, so it didn’t look the best…

Anyways, they wanted the names to be painted on the rows only after signs went up (to avoid confusion with guests), so they used stickers while they waited for their signs that were delayed due to supply chain issues.

The new signs are triangular and can be seen from all angles. They also improved signage in the parking lot by adding signs about halfway down some of the rows.

2023-wdw-epcot-parking-lot-new-signs-moana-hei-hei-5.jpeg

And I know this post is getting long, but they painted over the old row names with tar or black paint. This too was a temporary solution until they repaved. The section names of the rows now are the only words that have ever been painted there, along with their row number.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Those were just temporary signs. Due to shipping delays, the new signs could not arrive in time, so they placed stickers over the old signs. The new ones started coming in about a week later. The final sign was installed just about a month after the temporary signs went up.

However, Disney never said they were temporary signs… everyone just assumed they were the new permanent signs. You could see the old names of the parking lot sections through the signs, so it didn’t look the best…

Anyways, they wanted the names to be painted on the rows only after signs went up (to avoid confusion with guests), so they used stickers while they waited for their signs that were delayed due to supply chain issues.

The new signs are triangular and can be seen from all angles. They also improved signage in the parking lot by adding signs about halfway down some of the rows.

View attachment 726231

And I know this post is getting long, but they painted over the old row names with tar or black paint. This too was a temporary solution until they repaved. The section names of the rows now are the only words that have ever been painted there, along with their row number.
That's excellent to see that they didn't take a cheap shortcut. Rare kudos from me to them for that! Thanks so much for the update. And it wasn't a long post in comparison to my word vomits. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom