Kevin Heimbach Explains It All For You

No Name

I'm not sure anything in the parking lot counts as "show" anyways. Things in the park that are visible from the lot could be bad show (depending on what they are, obviously), but things that are actually part of the lot itself? Meh. They aren't themed spaces.
From the minute a person enters the property to the minute they leave it should be up to a high standard. It’s all part of their trip whether inside or outside a gate. These signs aren’t a huge deal but the view of Guardians building is an inexcusable example.

Robbiem

It’s exactly the same thing with Broadway. The prices are out of control. You can’t get a halfway good seat to Josh Groban in Sweeney Todd for less than $200. You can’t get a halfway good seat to see Lea Michele in Funny Girl for less than $300 and you can’t see one of the final performances of Phantom of the Opera in a semi-good seat for less than $400. People on Broadway boards complain about this endlessly. But yet people keep paying for the tickets and therefore producers keep charging these prices. I agree that in both cases (Disney and Broadway), you have to vote with your wallet.
Its the same in London with theatre prices they have become crazy. You can literally take a vacation for the price of an evening at a show.

When prices were cheaper we used to go all the time we spaced out our visits as prices rose to once or twice a year but now they are too expensive

I’ve not been since covid and to be honest I haven’t really missed going,

mightynine

In isolation, the parking lot examples are a small thing. In total, it's another example of gettin' it done cheap.

For people who go "You're looking at minutiae, what's the big deal?" forgetting that, in a way, Disney taught us with their theme parks to look for the tiny details. It paid to be observant - it wasn't just Hidden Mickeys.

So yes, something like this will pop up on some radars.

Pepper's Ghost

In isolation, the parking lot examples are a small thing. In total, it's another example of gettin' it done cheap.

For people who go "You're looking at minutiae, what's the big deal?" forgetting that, in a way, Disney taught us with their theme parks to look for the tiny details. It paid to be observant - it wasn't just Hidden Mickeys.

So yes, something like this will pop up on some radars.
Great explanation. When I was first introduced to Disney in the late 90s as a young adult, I was astounded by the details. It was the smallest details that caught my eye and Disney literally trained me to look for the small details. Now those details just aren't there. I've not been to Disney for over a decade now at first for my own personal reasons, and then because I didn't like the changes I was hearing about. I used to go every couple of years on a looong vacation, but like I said, I've decided not to give them my money. It wasn't just the increasing costs. It was that combined with a gradual decline in quality that I noticed back then. I'm still on this site and long to go back to the Disney I remember. That's why I'm still here, but that Disney is literally gone. I'm not around this site often, but I am occasionally to see if there's been an improvement. The diehards who complain might always find reasons to complain about something, but the noise level might not be so deafening if it wasn't such a high volume of poor quality being produced. Is everything garbage? No, but it's a way bigger proportion than it once was. If 25 years ago it was an 80%/20% ratio of good to bad, it seems now to be the opposite, and it's been a gradual descent. That's my opinion anyway. I don't ask anyone to agree with me and not go. They should go if they feel it's a good return on their investment. I just won't go until I feel they've turned a corner.

Regarding the parking lot signs, I agree with some who've said that it's just a small example that points to a bigger problem. If the sign coverings are truly temporary, that's fine. I don't think Disney circa 2023 has earned the benefit of the doubt. Disney circa 1998 might've gotten the benefit of the doubt, but today I don't think they've earned it. If they do swap those out in the coming months, maybe it's a small sign of improvement. They need to earn the benefit of the doubt tho.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

From the minute a person enters the property to the minute they leave it should be up to a high standard. It’s all part of their trip whether inside or outside a gate. These signs aren’t a huge deal but the view of Guardians building is an inexcusable example.

I think that's a different argument. High standards aren't the same thing as show. I agree things shouldn't look like crap in the parking lots or anywhere else on property, but I don't believe the lots themselves are part of show.

Regardless, I must have been unclear in my post, because your point about Guardians is what I was trying to say. Views of things that are part of the park that break show from the lot are unacceptable. That said, Guardians probably isn't the best example since it's visible from inside the park as well (thus not just a parking lot issue), but the general point stands.

No Name

I think that's a different argument. High standards aren't the same thing as show. I agree things shouldn't look like crap in the parking lots or anywhere else on property, but I don't believe the lots themselves are part of show.

Regardless, I must have been unclear in my post, because your point about Guardians is what I was trying to say. Views of things that are part of the park that break show from the lot are unacceptable. That said, Guardians probably isn't the best example since it's visible from inside the park as well (thus not just a parking lot issue), but the general point stands.
Upon rereading your comment, I see you actually made that perfectly clear. My apologies! I agree with you.

Pepper's Ghost

I agree things shouldn't look like crap in the parking lots or anywhere else on property, but I don't believe the lots themselves are part of show.
Isn't everything part of the show? It's all part of staying on property in the bubble. Why theme the parking lot if it's not important in their mind. Just call it Lot #1, Lot #2, etc. Just wondering. I don't feel strongly about this. The age-old argument... I just expect the effort to be better than something Six Flags would do.

UNCgolf

Isn't everything part of the show? It's all part of staying on property in the bubble. Why theme the parking lot if it's not important in their mind. Just call it Lot #1, Lot #2, etc. Just wondering. I don't feel strongly about this. The age-old argument... I just expect the effort to be better than something Six Flags would do.

They don't theme the parking lots, though. They put some names on them to help people find their cars, but there's no actual theming.

The Magic Kingdom entrance is designed specifically to separate the lot from the theme park, and Animal Kingdom does this as well to a lesser extent. I guess you could argue DHS and EPCOT also do, but not at the same level.

Rickcat96

agreed, money should have been sent to fund the trams first.

po1998

This is where I get curious. Josh says they have tons of money, then we see a sticker over an old sign. Where’s the disconnect? Also Carousel Coffee looks like garbage, again, where is the problem occurring? Obviously the GM of the resort doesn’t want it to look like trash so who is forcing them to use third party contractors to do subpar storytelling? It really feels like there needs to be an in-depth review of how the company operates and get back to basics. This can’t go on much longer.
This can’t go on much longer? Want to bet?

TalkToEthan

but I don't believe the lots themselves are part of show.

I'm wondering if Disney itself sees it differently than you(not saying I disagree with your here).

I was under the impression that Disney views "on stage" as anytime or place where cast interacts with or is seen by guests; even at the parking booths at each park and lot crews directing traffic or resort security check in and Disney bus rides.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Except that's not what happened! They installed new signs! The vinyl coverings over the old signs are placeholders until the new ones are fully installed. They did the thing you're mad at them for not doing.
But it also wouldn't take a genius to just wait to replace the signs until they have the new ones in place...

...Like seriously. They can redecorate an entire parks holiday theming overnight but they cant do the same for parking lot signs? lol.
And give me a break about "bad show."
No.
If you can only notice something when you stand directly under it with the angle of the sun creating a glare at a perfectly complimentary angle to your eye (or camera lens), then it's not bad show.
Yes it is. And it's Disney's fault as a company for creating these high expectations on themselves. The word "detail" has been used for sooooooo many years as a marketing ploy as to why Disney is better than any other theme park destination on earth... Therefore... Every angle matters.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
People who complain online and continue to attend are voting with their wallets. They're just not voting the way you think they should.
August was supposed to be my last trip. I complained about how awful the trip was that Disney gave me 8 free 2-day passes to the parks...

....Which I fully intend to use but not spend a single dime while in the parks. I am so petty, in fact, that I park at Disney Springs, get a bus to a hotel, and then get a bus to a park. LOL.

CaptainAmerica

But it also wouldn't take a genius to just wait to replace the signs until they have the new ones in place...
You can't have a sign that says "Moana" and a sign that says "Amaze" or whatever in the same lot at the same time. It confuses people. So you need to cover all of the "Amazes" with "Moana" until ALL of the "Moana" signs are built, delivered, and installed.

CaptainAmerica

....Which I fully intend to use but not spend a single dime while in the parks. I am so petty, in fact, that I park at Disney Springs, get a bus to a hotel, and then get a bus to a park. LOL.
What's with the lack of self-respect from grown men on this board lately? Just yesterday somebody was bragging about how he uses his mom's Netflix account. "I'm so cheap that I'm going to inconvenience myself for two hours to save $25" is a weird flex, but okay.

TalkToEthan

Say Epcot costs $140 and opens at 8am, closes at 9 and Dis Springs opens at 10 am. Then there is the waiting for buses and riding the buses via resort transfer.

You might get to Epcot at 11:30 am....I'm not sure

But it looks like you would be missing out on more than $25 worth of park time

NelleBelle

Not to mention if more people end up do this (which I'm sure a lot do already), it makes parking at DS MISERABLE to find a spot for those of us who do drive there! Not cool.

NelleBelle

You can't have a sign that says "Moana" and a sign that says "Amaze" or whatever in the same lot at the same time. It confuses people. So you need to cover all of the "Amazes" with "Moana" until ALL of the "Moana" signs are built, delivered, and installed.
Agreed. But hopefully when they do have all of the new parking signs installed, there won't be evidence of the new signs just stuck over the old. I think that's what's upsetting for me, that and not power washing the asphalt where the old names were. That wouldn't pass muster at my house if I had painters just try and paint the street address over the existing old address that was still viewable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom