Keep Space Mountain the way it is?

Glasgow

Yea I been on both.
:hammer:

I was just saying that DL has always been that way from what I know, although not 100% on that.

SM at Disneyland is fantastic, I totally agree. But I'm not against leaving SM at WDW in it's original state. Why? Just because one park has an attraction one way doesn't mean it has to be duplicated everywhere else, you know? I like the little differences between parks - that's what made visiting DL so great for me - there were little 'differences' that I looked forward to.

Having said that, SM at WDW could use some updates for sure - but I hope they leave the main layout and ride vehicles essentially the same.

speck76

It seems to me there is alot of talk lately about a major rehab of Space Mountain.There is a part of me that wolud like to see more added to the ride to make it more thrilling.There is also a part of me that considers it a classic and would like to leave the ride as it is.
Anyone else feels this way?

WDW is not a museum.....the parks and attractions need to change with the times. While I think Space Mountain should remain a family-friendly coaster, there is no reason why a few minor updates should not happen.

MeTa

SM at Disneyland is fantastic, I totally agree. But I'm not against leaving SM at WDW in it's original state. Why? Just because one park has an attraction one way doesn't mean it has to be duplicated everywhere else, you know? I like the little differences between parks - that's what made visiting DL so great for me - there were little 'differences' that I looked forward to.

Having said that, SM at WDW could use some updates for sure - but I hope they leave the main layout and ride vehicles essentially the same.

I agree with you as well as keeping rides the original way, especially ones like the jungle cruise and those types of rides. SM however is the onl one that I feel could use an upgrade.

mkepcotmgmak

i know i'm in the minority on this, but i would love to see a completely different Space Mountain experience! New track layout, new audio, new queue, the whole works. I wouldn't mind if it had inversions or not - just something different.

Meeko

I'm pretty much on the fence for this one. Part of what makes Space Mountain "scary" right now is its bumpy, rickety track which gives off a slightly unsafe feeling. It probably isn't the scare factor Disney's going for.:lookaroun But anyway, I agree with a previous poster that making it even darker in the ride would heighten the experience. I've not been on DL's new one so I don't know what I think of new audio. But with its rave reviews, maybe it will work at Magic Kingdom too.

pax_65

It sounds like some people are afraid a change to Space Mountain would make it no longer a "family friendly" coaster. While I'd be more than happy to do loops and corkscrews in the dark (I love coasters!), I don't think you'd have to do that to modernize and update the ride. However, I think an accelerated launch would be very cool and consistent with the theme. After all, when was the last time you saw a rocket climb slowly into the sky "clickety clack clickety clack"? I think they should start from scratch and look at how they can best accomplish the goal of the ride (a simulated trip into orbit) using today's technology. It would be cool to put some "immersive" type effects - you get cooler as you get into space, you feel heat when you re-enter the atmosphere, etc. There's a lot the imagineers could do...

jvenegas

I would leave the ride just as it is, maybe just smooth it over a little bit ( I do have 4 screws in my lower back:eek: ). I think the ride is a classic and should never be re-done because it is awesome just the way it is.

Chase24

I finally got to DL this summer. I must say, the SM was better than the one in Florida. The ride was completely dark, except the stars, and the music was perfect for the ride. I really do not care if the SM in Florida got the two wide cars, but the music and the complete dark / star field was intense.:sohappy:

Disneyfanman

I haven't been out to see the new DL version, but everyone tells me it's great. Same basic ride and idea, but modern enhancements. I would love to see SM at WDW enhanced in a similar way, but I would want it to remain a family level experience, with an increased "wow" factor. After 30 years of riding it, it's still a ton more fun than many new coasters. Flat out fun. Giggles and smiles all around. If they can improve it without changing that, then I am all for it. I do NOT want inversions and gut churning speed. I can get that on the HULK, and while I enjoy that coaster I never ride it more than once or twice every couple of years. I never miss SM, and it's the whole experience that makes it that way.

dxwwf3

I do enjoy the classic and nostolgic feel of the current Space Mountain at WDW, but let's face it, our Space Mountain is probably the worst in any Disney park around the world right now.

There's no reason why we can't get a nice rehab here and get an updated attraction. The ride itself stays broken down A LOT now (at least from my experiences) and a new track is certainly needed. Hopefully cosmetic changes will come as well, but it seems that structural changes are needed most of all.

CelticRose

I would hate if they changed it. Its great the way it is. Many people say that it should be more thrilling, and should be the top thrill like it was originally, but I see it like this. Why change a perfect family/kid starter off coaster into something big and drastic like the paris versain or RRnr and turn kids away from it.

Plus, I rather ride a long quality 2 minute plus roller coaster like SM than a tired 30 to 60 second coaster like RRnr.

Ditto, my sentiments exactly.

Boardwalk Joe's

TP2000: Very well put!

I can remember when I was 4 or 5 years old my old man took me to Space Mountain, as I was entering the queue, hearing the people scream and looking at the now dated effects...I nearly pi**ed myself! I freaked and demanded my father to take me out.

Fast forward 20 years, my last trip to WDW (in Sept) I went on SM once (by myself) and no one in my train, myself included, let out a scream, hollered, raised their arms, nothing! It was so weird...we were completely emotionless. Normally when I go with friends, we scream and act all crazy for the sake that its a coaster, but not necessarily reacting to the ride itself as we would on EE, ARnR, or the Parsian SM.

I love the classic, but its time to start moving forward.

The track and vehicle could use some updates

I haven't riddent Space Mountain since 2002. I love Space Mountain, the queue, even without a sponsor is lovely. The only scream I let out during the ride was when it hurt my back though. They need a warning on that back seat, it's one rough ride.

pax_65

"Kid-friendly starter coaster?"

When WDW's Space Mountain was built, and for many years after, it was one of the most exciting, frightening thrill rides anywhere. Although it wasn't particularly fast, it was the first-ever roller coaster in the dark. Many adults were afraid to go on it!

Space Mountain was probably the most exciting thrill ride in all of WDW until Tower of Terror was built, and certainly the most exciting coaster until Rock n Roller Coaster.

I'm not saying Space Mountain shouldn't be "family friendly" - this is the Magic Kingdom, after all. But it was designed to be a heart-thumping thrill ride, and that's what it should be.

If you want a kid-friendly starter coaster, try GOOFY.

SirGoofy

Here are my thoughts. Either A) Do a DL style rehab. New tracks, same layout. B)Completely redo it. And I mean completely. I want a story. There's a lot of potential there, especially with the gigantic queue to lay it out.

cmatt

It seems to me there is alot of talk lately about a major rehab of Space Mountain.There is a part of me that wolud like to see more added to the ride to make it more thrilling.There is also a part of me that considers it a classic and would like to leave the ride as it is.
Anyone else feels this way?

PFFFT! nah change it :p disney need to do one thing here and thats make money - replacing track design and totally redoing the 'mountain building will put more bums in the actual ride. As proven with POTC (although they really didnt change much)...... Even if it is just replacing the track - but if they are doing that why not just improve the rider experience and change the track layout? make it alot more thrilling!

Main Street USA

WDW is not a museum.....the parks and attractions need to change with the times.

Yep, and if anyone needs evidence of that, just look up the following things:

- Horizons
- World of Motion
- Mr. Toads Wild Ride
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- The Skyway
- Mission to Mars
- Alien Encounter
- Dreamflight
- Timekeeper
- Journey Into Imagination
- The Living Seas
- Captain EO
- Magic Journeys
- Flight to the Moon
- The Original Frontierland Railroad Station
- The Mickey Mouse Revue
- The PLaza Swan Boats
- Space Mountain's RCA Years
- If You Had Wings
- Communicore
- The Kitchen Kabaret
- Food Rocks
- Discovery Island
- The Fort Wilderness Railroad
- The Old Monorail
- The Disney Inn
- The Empress Lily
- The Seven Seas Lagoon Wave Machine
- America the Beautiful CircleVision
- The Tobacconist
- Merlin's Magic Shop
- Castle Camera Shop
- The Greenhouse
- New Century Clock Shop
- The Fife and Drum
- The Brier Patch
- Hospitality house
- The Walt Disney Story
- American Journeys
- Star Jets
- Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
- Penny Arcade
- House of Magic
- Mickey's Starland
- Take Flight
- Mike Fink Keelboats
- Harmony Barber Shop
- Carousel of Progress (versions 1-5)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Original "non-politically correct" (better) version
- Grand Prix Raceway
- The WEDway Peoplemover
- The AK boat around the Tree of Life (forget the name)
- Radio Disney Boat around the tree of life (forget the name)
- The Universe of Energy
- The original Spaceship Earth

...and the list goes on and on. This is actually only about 1/4 of the complete list of changes to the original WDW. The point is that, unfortunately, nothing will stick around in WDW for nostalgia's sake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom