Kali River Rapids closing for 5 week refurbishment January-February 2016

Slowjack

I've heard the ride is so short so it does not warrant a long wait. Is this true? I've honestly never ridden it in AK because I've heard such bad things about it? Will they ever expand one day or make additions: waterfalls, animal AA's, etc????
It is indeed quite short compared to similar rides (like the one in DCA). You go up, come around the corner, and come back down again, and that's pretty much it. Like most people, when I first rode it I thought it was just getting going after the first drop, but that's the only drop and then it's back to the station. Part of the problem is that everyone here knows the ride was originally intended to be much longer, so what's left feels like a ripoff. And as alluded to in posts above, many of the effects the ride had when it began have been turned off.

It's hard to imagine that the ride would ever be lengthened or "plussed" in any significant way. I could believe that one day, many years from now, it would be replaced, but I doubt they would ever really do much to improve it.

rle4lunch

Are they going to lengthen the ride by a minute or so? Until that day, this ride isn't worth going on again. Pales into comparison to the DCA rapids ride.

rle4lunch

I doubt it. Its probably just a good cleaning.. This ride is really just better off being bulldozed and replaced with something more worthy of that park.

Indeed, it would be nice to see it replaced. I was being facetious with my adding a minute to it. That would take 16 years and a billion dollars on a WDO budget plan.

WDWVolFan

A cousin of one of the Disney bus drivers told my sister's boss that they will be removing the rafts altogether. Instead, they will be passing out life jackets. Should save a ton of money (except for the legal dept). ;)
If you were tethered to something to avoid hitting the walls, this would be cool as hell!

Incomudro

I've heard the ride is so short so it does not warrant a long wait. Is this true? I've honestly never ridden it in AK because I've heard such bad things about it? Will they ever expand one day or make additions: waterfalls, animal AA's, etc????
The ride is a lot of fun.
As someone who didn't know how long the ride was supposed to be 'till I came on these forums,
I can tell you that the two times I've been on it - I had a great time.
The first time I rode it, all of the effects were working, and I thought they were great.
Be advised that you may get quite drenched.
As in, nearly as wet as if you jumped in the water.
If that's fun to you - it is to me as long as it's warm out, you'll enjoy the ride.

Jrn14

This ride is pretty WHACK IMHO.

Not only does it pale in comparison to other theme park rapid's rides... Popeye's blows this out of the water... no contest... I'm assuming Grizzly does too...

I would even argue most "AMUSEMENT" park rapids rides are better than this... Six Flags, Busch Gardens... The rapids ride at my local amusement park "Kennywood" from the 1980s... Yes I firmly believe it's more fun than KRR... and if it's not going to be thrilling it should compensate with theme which it also lacks in and apparently has further deteriorated since I've last ridden. I agree with those above I wouldn't cry a single tear if it was torn down tomorrow...It's a complete waste of potential ... and I love rapid rides.

Last edited:

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Do we know anything about the details of this refurb? Is it just general maintenance or are they making any improvements? Did this ride have any lighting? Perhaps lighting is being added to take advantage of the extra nighttime hours coming soon.

djkidkaz

At the very least I just want them to fix all the effects. I'm also surprised with everything pretty much being touched at AK that Everest still hasn't been scheduled for a refurb. Even if they have no plans to fix the yeti but just to at least do some painting and general maintenance to be able to handle the added hours of operation and crowds.

bjm72385

At the very least I just want them to fix all the effects. I'm also surprised with everything pretty much being touched at AK that Everest still hasn't been scheduled for a refurb. Even if they have no plans to fix the yeti but just to at least do some painting and general maintenance to be able to handle the added hours of operation and crowds.
I look for that to happen once avatar is finished and opened. With the limited number of rides there now, there's no way they could take Everest down for an extended period of time. Although stranger things have happened lol

Goofyque'

. Few rides warrant a long wait, Kali is great fun, and has one of the greatest queues on property. Judge for yourself.

JohnD

I agree with the comments about the ride itself. Looking at the FB page, there are the usual comments about how their vacation is ruined because it's closed. One even commented about "praying" it's open by May. Apparently, she didn't stop to read the story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom