Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl Refurbs (Jan 2011)

scott7302

Original Poster
Hey Everyone

I have just been notified by Stich Kingdom that Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl are down for refurbs starting:

Kali River Rapids: 01/03/11 - 01/29/11

Primeval Whirl: 01/17/11 - 04/05/11

I have not seen it mentioned yet, so thought I would tell ya all.

Scott

SeaCastle

Interesting...thanks for the information.

I had heard that Primeval Whirl requires an disproportionate amount of maintenance due to all of the stress fractures it causes. Hopefully they work something out (or raze Dinoland...)

Sir Goofy

Frustrating! We have a trip planned for 1/15-1/24, and both KRR and Splash Mountain will be closed. They are both favorites of my 5 year old! I figured that SM would be closed, being that we are there almost every January, but KRR throws a new wrench into our plans!

Atomicmickey

Primeval Whirl just was down for a while, well, less than two years ago. Seems like long refurbs every two years are a bit much. Too bad it's not a replacement with something else. :(

After hearing how awful it was for so long, I finally went on it last year, and have to call it the most underwhelming ride at WDW.

I finally "understand" and "appreciate" the theming of Dino-Land, but that's a long ways from "liking" it.

It is one of the only distasteful areas to stand around and look at in all of WDW. I don't mind the Boneyard, the trails to Dinosaur, and Restaurantosaurus area. Everything east of that should become EXTINCT.

How about an Ice Age ride through some caverns with Mammoths and Saber Tooths and such? Something . . . . . .

ToTBellHop

Frustrating! We have a trip planned for 1/15-1/24, and both KRR and Splash Mountain will be closed. They are both favorites of my 5 year old! I figured that SM would be closed, being that we are there almost every January, but KRR throws a new wrench into our plans!

It is a little frustrating that both major water rides at WDW will be closed at the same time...but that's life. Granted my wife and I were just talking that we weren't looking to get soaking wet on Kali in January, so no huge loss there. So happy we decided to arrive on 1/1, though, so we'll be able to ride Splash!

Some thoughts on Primeval:

1) It is interesting that the length of this refurbishment is roughly as long as it takes most local amusement parks to build a completely new wild mouse. Must be some major work.
2) I would have thought that one of the selling points in having two completely separate tracks was that this ride would never need to close completely for refurbishment, but rather work at 1/2 capacity (in the same way that the Tower of Terror has never closed for an extended refurbishment--they can work on one elevator shaft at a time), so it is surprising that they continue to close this ride for extended periods.
3) This seems to rule out any Everest refurbishment for early 2011, since I doubt they would have all of AK's roller coasters and Kali closed at the same time (and I doubt they would wait until February for an Everest closure since they would want it open as early in the Spring Break season as possible). It is sad that Primeval Whirl continues to eat up the refurbishment budget for this park while they other rides all suffer.

RSoxNo1

Primeval Whirl has stress fractures that cause it to close for 3 months? Couldn't they just close it for good during that time instead?

scott7302

Original Poster
Fortunately I am lucky that I am going from the 21st January until 7th february 2011, so I manage to get on both Splash and Kali during my trip.

TBH its no real loss with primeval whirl, we have so many rides in UK that are like this ride, in fact chessington has a much better version...

sweetpee_1993

Again, feeling goooooood about our decision to NOT do January again anytime soon. I'm not a funky-feet-water ride person but do like to giggle thru Primeval Whirl. Haters be damned, I like it. :p

LSU_Tigger

Hey Everyone

I have just been notified by Stich Kingdom that Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl are down for refurbs starting:

Kali River Rapids: 01/03/11 - 01/29/11

Primeval Whirl: 01/17/11 - 04/05/11

I have not seen it mentioned yet, so thought I would tell ya all.

Scott

How is it that you have this info but no one else does. Just asking and please don't get mad at me. I am concerned because my family and I will be there during the PW refurb and my son will be mad.

RAXIP

How is it that you have this info but no one else does. Just asking and please don't get mad at me. I am concerned because my family and I will be there during the PW refurb and my son will be mad.

Stitch Kingdom broke the news first.

In the last few hours the closure information just showed up on the The Hub (CM internal website). I figure it'll show up on the official site shortly (a few hours/days).

spectromagic04

Wow this site is the best. Every other wdw sites dont even come close to wdwmagic. We get these updates for refurbs and other projects before they are even announced.

mickey2008.1

I hope PW gets a theme makeover. We really like the ride, but it just doesnt have any theming, like the rest of dinoland. A simple redo of the qeue would really help, plus different colors. Oh well, wait and see.

stefan74

I'm so depressed about Primeval Whirl...I love that ride so much.:cry: Let's see how my mom will react to the news tomorrow when I tell her...she loves the ride as well.

Cmdr_Crimson

Awww Man..Both Wash Cycle and Rinse Cycles are down plus one Mountain Whammy as well...

Sorry..I had to put a "Stacy" Reference in there:lol:

Tybee

Gaaaaaaaah.... :brick:

So frustrating. I understand what going to WDW in January means. Certain sacrifices must be expected when you book at that time of year. We knew Splash Mountain is refurbed in January every year and had prepared ourselves for that closure. But KRR closing really hurts because it was closed during our last trip in 2002 as well (in the middle of the summer, mind you). This feels like a cheap shot.

Still excited for our trip, but a little less than I was yesterday. :(

BrerFrog

Wow, I have a friend who is visiting for a week in January and not only will she miss Splash Mountain, but she will also miss Kali and PW.

January is a tough month to schedule short trips, chances are something will be closed during the entirety of short stays.

redshoesrock

I'm so depressed about Primeval Whirl...I love that ride so much.:cry: Let's see how my mom will react to the news tomorrow when I tell her...she loves the ride as well.

Wow. I think the two of you are among the first people I've met who like that ride. You're allowed to like whatever you like, don't misunderstand. I think I'm the only one of my friends who loves The Hall of Presidents; they all think it's the most boring thing ever. But I've always gotten a consensus that the vast majority of people would love to take a wrecking ball to the entire Chester & Hester sub-land and purge it from our memories.

Myself? If I wanted to play carny games like the basketball game and the squirt-gun game and ride carny rides like TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl...I'd go to the carnival when it came into town or go to the county fair where I can pay a fifth of what I pay going to Animal Kingdom for a day. If I'm going to Disney World, where I'm paying a premium to experience premium attractions, I expect to get what I pay for. And (just my humble opinion) Chester & Hester is not it in the least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom