Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl Refurbs (Jan 2011)

Brian Noble

We like PW a lot. We try to *un*balance the car as much as possible to maximize spinning. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "depressed" about it, but it will be a shame not to get that high-giggle spinning going.

But, perhaps in contrast to you, we happen to like regular old amusement parks just as much as we enjoy our WDW trips. We don't mind mixing in "rides" (like PW) with "attractions".

redshoesrock

But, perhaps in contrast to you, we happen to like regular old amusement parks just as much as we enjoy our WDW trips. We don't mind mixing in "rides" (like PW) with "attractions".

Hey, I love regular amusement park rides also. I always go to the carnival when it comes to town or the state fair or whatever and ride the Zipper and the Gravitron and the Paratrooper and all that stuff and I enjoy myself. But here's my beef, and it's the same beef people had when they first went to DCA and saw Paradise Pier:

I can go to any carnival or fair in the country and ride those kind of rides. That's not a knock against them, but every carnival and fair has those; they're not overly special. Furthermore, going on Saturday night to the fair doesn't break my wallet; I don't need to scrimp and save so my family and I can go. On the other hand, Disney goes out of its way to market itself as a place where you can experience things you can't experience anywhere else. You can't go to the fair and ride something like Expedition Everest or Dinosaur, or see shows like Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo: The Musical. And because you can't experience things like that anywhere else, Disney charges you a premium price. They do that not only because they have those experiences, but so they'll have the money to make future ones. And, to me, when they are charging a premium and already have premium attractions you can compare against, anything they build needs to be consistently at that high level of excellence. Primeval Whirl is IMHO a carnival-type off-the-shelf roller coaster with sub-par theming. And then when you start adding things like TriceraTop Spin (which is already a similar ride to Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, and Magic Carpets of Aladdin) and direct copies of carnival games? All with a theme that looks like it was done on the cheap? It's just not "Disney" to me. It's [insert your local fair or small amusement park here].

Brian Noble

Sure, I get that. But in a week full of immersion, I don't mind throwing in a goofy ride whose only purpose is to spin you silly. It's a mix of experiences in a day; a few lowbrow options are fine.

But, if you really want to rip out the "carny" experiences, you should probably place the wrecking ball squarely in front of Dumbo, rather than build a second one.

ToTBellHop

Sure, I get that. But in a week full of immersion, I don't mind throwing in a goofy ride whose only purpose is to spin you silly. It's a mix of experiences in a day; a few lowbrow options are fine.

But, if you really want to rip out the "carny" experiences, you should probably place the wrecking ball squarely in front of Dumbo, rather than build a second one.

I feel as though the folks who think Primeval Whirl should leave b/c it's not highly themed should also want the "classic" Mad Tea Party to leave for the same reason. Local fairs have teacup rides, too.

Not everything can be an e-ticket.

Potato01

The problem with Primeval Whril is something to do with that the brakes were not big enough to handle the ride. Thats what I heard from some of the engineers. Thats why the capacity of the ride has been so slow compared to when it opened...the brakes couldn't handle it. Hopefully they can fix this problem and the hourly capacity should skyrocket from where it has been. Right now the line moves SO SLOW.

pacochran

Glad Kali is closing in January and not December when we go as that is one of our favorite rides.

Like others have said which Primeval Whirl would close for good, last time I road it I hurt my neck. Though my kids love it.

oxodizer

Admittedly I used to bypass this area every time I visited AK, but after slowing down and really looking at it, I appreciate it on a whole new leve. The whole point of the Chester & Hester section of Dinoland is supposed to have that look as if it was "done on the cheap." I've read in somewhere, not sure if it was the Imagineering Field Guides or the main Imagineering books or what (Definitely Disney press though) that the whole idea is that Chester and Hester are looking to cash in on the Dino-craze in the area and set up a roadside attraction.

I think the theme is kind of clever. And the games are pretty cheap. This may be because any of my pilgrimages to WDW wouldn't be complete without a stop at South of the Border. Chester's and Hester's is a celebration of roadside America. No, PW is not my favorite ride of all time, but I like the fact that there are little details to make it more authentically a roadside attraction with a fun play on dinosaurs role in create petroleum. Look at the ground when you are in that section, its a distressed old parking lot. the Gift shop to the right of PW is an old gas station and a lot of the items in the PW line are car parts. Sure its not the Disney movie themeing of MK, but its clever and very Disney in its story telling. Next time don't pass this area in haste, but slow down and look at the theme and how it tells a pretty hilarious story.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Admittedly I used to bypass this area every time I visited AK, but after slowing down and really looking at it, I appreciate it on a whole new leve. The whole point of the Chester & Hester section of Dinoland is supposed to have that look as if it was "done on the cheap." I've read in somewhere, not sure if it was the Imagineering Field Guides or the main Imagineering books or what (Definitely Disney press though) that the whole idea is that Chester and Hester are looking to cash in on the Dino-craze in the area and set up a roadside attraction.

I think the theme is kind of clever. And the games are pretty cheap. This may be because any of my pilgrimages to WDW wouldn't be complete without a stop at South of the Border. Chester's and Hester's is a celebration of roadside America. No, PW is not my favorite ride of all time, but I like the fact that there are little details to make it more authentically a roadside attraction with a fun play on dinosaurs role in create petroleum. Look at the ground when you are in that section, its a distressed old parking lot. the Gift shop to the right of PW is an old gas station and a lot of the items in the PW line are car parts. Sure its not the Disney movie themeing of MK, but its clever and very Disney in its story telling. Next time don't pass this area in haste, but slow down and look at the theme and how it tells a pretty hilarious story.
It is so nice to hear from someone that gets it.

sweetpee_1993

Wow. I think the two of you are among the first people I've met who like that ride. You're allowed to like whatever you like, don't misunderstand. I think I'm the only one of my friends who loves The Hall of Presidents; they all think it's the most boring thing ever. But I've always gotten a consensus that the vast majority of people would love to take a wrecking ball to the entire Chester & Hester sub-land and purge it from our memories.

Myself? If I wanted to play carny games like the basketball game and the squirt-gun game and ride carny rides like TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl...I'd go to the carnival when it came into town or go to the county fair where I can pay a fifth of what I pay going to Animal Kingdom for a day. If I'm going to Disney World, where I'm paying a premium to experience premium attractions, I expect to get what I pay for. And (just my humble opinion) Chester & Hester is not it in the least.

I also love PW. My whole family does. It's not like a "must do" or anything but we all thoroughly enjoy it. :wave:

I feel as though the folks who think Primeval Whirl should leave b/c it's not highly themed should also want the "classic" Mad Tea Party to leave for the same reason. Local fairs have teacup rides, too.

Not everything can be an e-ticket.

Yep yep yep! Personally, I think PW is themed perfectly for where it's located. Think about the climb and that "tick tick tick" you hear. It's counting down and making the anticipation grow like you're waiting for something to happen...which it does! Not only does the ride go into action but it's the meteor shower of chaos! Love it! Such a fun ride! If it was any more or less themed then it wouldn't fit the area.

Bam! Yes! The theming is wonderful. All the little kitschy details are awesome. If people wouldn't turn their noses up and see how WDI took ordinary objects and used them in such clever ways it totally enhances the look of the roadside cash-in w/minimal investment for Chester & Hester.

Maybe I'm just different or love the cheap carnival feel because I was not allowed to go to carnivals or fairs as a kid. Mom always said they weren't safe (her oldest sister was a carnie way back in the day so she's a bit biased) so we couldn't go. ((Coincidentally, we rarely were allowed to go to Wet-n-Wild either when we were growing up in Orlando because Mom worked in the ER at Orlando Regional and she saw sooooo many people come in there injured from WnW.))

Either way, the DinoRama is just freakin' cool. I love it! Always have. :sohappy:

yeti

I find I'm split when it comes to DinoRama. Part of me wants to say to you "What's there to get?!", while the other thinks there's more than meets the eye.

On the one hand, it seems very "off the shelf"; like a last ditch effort to pull extra people into AK. It's cheap.

On the other hand, it looks good considering its budget, and even has a brainy backstory that ties into the area. Thematically, it's supposed to look cheap.

If push came to shove, I'd bulldoze it. One thing's for sure, this winter's going to feel a lot like '98 in the Animal Kingdom...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I find I'm split when it comes to DinoRama. Part of me wants to say to you "What's there to get?!", while the other thinks there's more than meets the eye.

On the one hand, it seems very "off the shelf"; like a last ditch effort to pull extra people into AK. It's cheap.

On the other hand, it looks good considering its budget, and even has a brainy backstory that ties into the area. Thematically, it's supposed to look cheap.

If push came to shove, I'd bulldoze it. One thing's for sure, this winter's going to feel a lot like '98 in the Animal Kingdom...
Like I have said before I like the cheep carnival atmosphere but I hate the carnies and Dinorama provides the pro without the con. Sure, I would have loved some grand e-ticket in it's place but there is nothing wrong with the occasional b and c ticket attraction.

disnyfan89

It always amazes me how many people don't realize that the story for PW is exactly the SAME as Dinosaur, even down to the carnisoraus following you through the ride. Also, I've never been a big fan of bashing rides because they are off the shelf type rides. RnR is an off the shelf coaster and a lot of other attractions (including some iconic Disney attractions) are all off the shelf carnival standards. Its the theming and story telling that make Disney Disney.

I will however agree that certain aspects of Dinorama could be improved such as the elimination of off the shelf carnival games in favor of more unique experiences with that carnival flair. Is Dinorama tacky, overly much so but it's suppose to be and there are some light hearted experiences with fun and tacky theming to be had.

redshoesrock

It always amazes me how many people don't realize that the story for PW is exactly the SAME as Dinosaur, even down to the carnisoraus following you through the ride. Also, I've never been a big fan of bashing rides because they are off the shelf type rides. RnR is an off the shelf coaster and a lot of other attractions (including some iconic Disney attractions) are all off the shelf carnival standards. Its the theming and story telling that make Disney Disney.

*Sigh*

Bear in mind when you read all this - if you like the Chester & Hester stuff, that's fine with me. It's your vacation and you're absolutely free to like and enjoy whatever is there.

I've known the story for Dinoland for a very long time (local people find dino bones, archaeologists show up and set up the Dino Institute who then buy up all the surrounding land except for Chester & Hester who won't sell their gas station; the Dino Institute builds a brand new building and discovers time travel, so they sell time travel tours - the ride Dinosaur - to pay for their research; the Dino Institute interns goof around by putting up crazy signs for example - like the "osaurus" on Restaurantosaurus - among other things; with tourists coming, Chester & Hester change their gas station into a tacky carnival/tourist trap.)

And in that last phrase there in lies the problem; when you go out of your way to theme yourself as a cheap, tacky carnival - you become one. Need I have to remind anyone on these boards why Disneyland was built in the first place? Or why Walt was so upset with what sprung up around Disneyland he decided to buy over 27,000 acres of land in Florida so his guests wouldn't have to experience all that? And then you wonder why I cringe when Disney decides to go out of its way to bring into their parks the emulation of the very thing Walt utterly rejected and caused him to build Disneyland and Walt Disney World in the first place?! It's like hanging "Dogs Playing Poker" in the Louvre, it just doesn't belong.

I have no problem with an off-the-shelf ride if it's themed well, and Rock 'n Roller Coaster is a great example of great theming enhancing a ride. You can go to the Netherlands and ride the exact same off-the-shelf ride (called Xpress), but Disney shows what you can do with a ride like that when you surround it with a great theme and great effects. Trying to pluss an off-the-shelf carnival ride with a tacky, carnival-like theme is like the Redundancy Department of Redundancy - you're just spinning your wheels.

>>ISTC Navigator said: I feel as though the folks who think Primeval Whirl should leave b/c it's not highly themed should also want the "classic" Mad Tea Party to leave for the same reason. Local fairs have teacup rides, too. Not everything can be an e-ticket.<<

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me and cite the source and I'll admit I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident Disneyland's Mad Tea Party was the first ever "teacups ride", hence why all other similar style rides in other amusement parks are referred to as a "teacups ride". So for its time, it actually was a new experience. The reason why it's been cloned in all other subsequent Disneyland-style parks is (apart from, yes of course it's fun to ride) part nostalgia/part "it's at this Disney park why isn't it in my Disney park?", which is another discussion for another thread (cloning Disneyland all over the world - not a fan). I don't expect every ride to be an E-ticket, nor should all rides be so; there needs to be a healthy mix of different rides and attractions. That's not the point - my issue is not with the ride Primeval Whirl, my issue is its theming and the surrounding Chester & Hester theme.

>>Brian Noble said: But, if you really want to rip out the "carny" experiences, you should probably place the wrecking ball squarely in front of Dumbo, rather than build a second one.<<

Right idea, but wrong ride. Dumbo is popular because it's a Disney rite-of-passage. Parents take their kids on Dumbo because their parents took their kids on Dumbo because their parents, etc. And from what I've seen with what the theming will eventually be surrounding "Double Dumbo", I think it has the potential to be even better. My issue is not that Dumbo is a carny ride...it's that the Magic Kingdom has three of the exact same ride in Fantasyland, Tomorrowland (Astro Orbitor), and Adventureland (Magic Carpets of Aladdin), which is shameful. Astro Orbitor has nostalgic factors with the old Star Jets, and is the "weenie" of Tomorrowland; no problems there. Magic Carpets of Aladdin should be removed. It's completely redundant for the Magic Kingdom, and even worse gives the impression that they simply lifted the idea from its chief competitor (Universal and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish at Islands of Adventure).

RunnerEd

So wait,

1/3 of the park's rides will be down for a MONTH?!?!?!

:brick::brick::brick:

The park becomes even more pointless.
Well said. When we're down for Marathon Weekend, we can pop in, single rider line EE a couple of times, see ITTBAB and leave. 1 hour, tops.

Tybee

Well said. When we're down for Marathon Weekend, we can pop in, single rider line EE a couple of times, see ITTBAB and leave. 1 hour, tops.

I'm disappointed too, but that's a little disingenuous. You're overlooking Kilimanjaro Safaris and Dinosaur! at the very least.

GrumpyFan

I will however agree that certain aspects of Dinorama could be improved such as the elimination of off the shelf carnival games in favor of more unique experiences with that carnival flair. Is Dinorama tacky, overly much so but it's suppose to be and there are some light hearted experiences with fun and tacky theming to be had.

Good idea! Get rid of the carnival games! I hardly ever see anybody playing them anyway. I kinda feel sad for the castmembers working at them because they're usually just sitting there waiting for somebody to come play. If they want to keep them, fine, but make them free. Disney is already expensive enough without this kind of "attraction".

An idea I thought of to replace the carnival games with, would be a dinosaur themed ride-thru fun/scary house, kind of like the ones you would see at a typical carnival attraction. Mind you, I think the whole Dino-rama is out of character for Disney, but still, if they're going to keep it, make a big fun house ride-thru using an omnimover type ride where you get to see silly animatronic dinosaurs. Or, better yet, make two of these, one silly/funny so smaller kids could ride and enjoy, then another that was more scary and thrilling. I think this would be a big improvement over the carnival games, and it would add ride capacity to the park.

RSoxNo1

So there will be 12 days when both are down at the same time. Is that really necessary? They normally stagger these things I'm not sure those 12 extra days at the front half of Primeval Whirl are gonna make a huge difference? Easter isn't until April 24th so what's the point of the April 5th date?

Even still, couldn't they start both at the same time, but run Primeval at half capacity for a few weeks before completely closing down both sides?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom