Just what everyone wanted a Death Star Spaceship Earth

CastleBound

Ok, the only thing cool about this transformation was the laser. That's about it. It just looked like SE with a laser coming out of it. Maybe it was different in person, but from all the videos I've seen, the projection looked... well... didn't look like anything at all. Ca we retire this now for good and never do an exclusive experience like this again? Like never again.

James Norrie

There was wayyyyyyyy too much light to see the finer details of the projection. I caught glimpses of them, but they should have toned down the ambient lights for the 3 minutes of Death Star

MrPromey

It seems like the kind of thing Disney doesn't have to do at all... so I'm happy they do it. But man, that was pretty bland. The writers they have on all these stage events seem aweful and the lack of charisma is painful.

I guess the crowd was too busy trying to film it all to enjoy any part of what they were saying.. because it was like a pile of dead fish.

Well.. its an interesting form of marketing.. and some locals get to enjoy these events.. at least they streamed this one so we all get to par-take.. but damn I'm glad I watched the reply and not tried to watch live :)

For what it's worth, I've been involved in one or two one-time events like this from a setup standpoint and it was pretty surprising between finalizing details and actual time for rehearsal, how tight they cut it.

My impression is that after decades of rolling this kind of stuff out, certain parts (like potted plants, lighting, sound, etc.) are well oiled machines and they simply don't see the value in investing a ton in preparation for the rest.

It seems the end results while usually hit, can be hit or miss..

Cmdr_Crimson

• A Star Wars “all-in-the-know” tour guide
If the tour guide doesn't look like this.......
1307637-cbg.jpg

Then it will be THE WORST TOUR.........EVER!

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Does anyone else think that with the Horrible lighting they had that it just looks like someone threw a big rock onto SE and left a big indent on the side of it?
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IMG_6828-800x400.jpg

While I agree the ground lighting they had caused some distraction on photos, it looked a lot better in person than it does in that photo.,

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No no, that's an actual picture taken by Don. The laser was also shot in the live stream. I was just curious as to where it came from

Well there is space between the inner and outer shell of SSE. Maybe they placed one between them.

Did the laser beam go out into the sky as far as the eye could see? None of the pictures show a wide shot. I ask because it could be that the laser was shot at S:E rather than from. It would be indistinguishable to tell with the human eye. But, if the beam went off into the sky, then they certainly mounted a laser on S:E.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Did the laser beam go out into the sky as far as the eye could see? None of the pictures show a wide shot. I ask because it could be that the laser was shot at S:E rather than from. It would be indistinguishable to tell with the human eye. But, if the beam went off into the sky, then they certainly mounted a laser on S:E.

The reality is nobody was looking for the source when it was happening. The whole sequence of the firing lasted less than 5 seconds so everyone was focused on the death star image. I went back and looked at the video I shot of the first time it fired and there is a second green laser point on the lower left side of SSE that seems to confirm it was fired from outside, most likely atop the monorail platform as it's the most accessible location. The reality is, that's the most practical and budget sensible location for something you're just doing quickly like that.

Cletus

Yeah, pretty sure the FAA wouldn't be too fond of Disney firing a laser out into space. Not that there is that much plane traffic around Orlando. ;)

Monorail Mike

The reality is nobody was looking for the source when it was happening. The whole sequence of the firing lasted less than 5 seconds so everyone was focused on the death star image. I went back and looked at the video I shot of the first time it fired and there is a second green laser point on the lower left side of SSE that seems to confirm it was fired from outside, most likely atop the monorail platform as it's the most accessible location. The reality is, that's the most practical and budget sensible location for something you're just doing quickly like that.

That laser effect is really interesting. They must've had some way to generate smoke or fog in that area for it to be visible off the surface of SSE.

Phroobar

So is the retheming of Space Ship Earth complete yet? I can't wait to ride the new Death Star Escape ride at Epcot.

Incomudro

While I agree the ground lighting they had caused some distraction on photos, it looked a lot better in person than it does in that photo.,

Most everything is better in person.
That's why I hesitate to knock things that I am not there in the flesh for.
Watching, or listening to rides, concerts, etc. at home on our computers or phones is not the same experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom