Just the Facts

Ravenclaw87

All right, so I'm usually just a lurker, but let's think about it for a second, and let's give Disney the benefit of the doubt. Because, well, I don't think they're going to half-butt this project because I think WWoHP has scared Disney a little bit.

But, I LIKE this idea of circusland! For one, it appeals to boys--- something the MK needs. For another, though, and more importantly, let's not think of a circus today. Let's think of what a circus was during the 1920's: a place of wonder; a place where magic ACTUALLY happened; a place of color and dancers and acrobats and animals from far off places. Let's think of the kind of circus Walt would have been able to go to when he was a boy.

...If Disney creates this circus, I am THERE.

mhaftman7

I still find it to be ashame that the Disney Channel or Toon Disney doesn't show Disney Classic Shorts (like Mickey, Donald or Goofy shorts). Little kids should be able to see these classics and see how Disney started. Sure, I know when you look back at these shorts, its crazy when you see some things (like characters smoking etc), but that is where the parents teach the kids about that stuff. The DVD's they have of all those Shorts is fantastic and I can't wait to show my children them. I do think the Mickeys Club House is good for children too, but they should be able to see Classics on TV as well.

They don't show CLASSIC classics like steamboat or anything, but they do have 5 min cartoons that are obviously older that feature Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, and Chip N' Dale.

Other than that I do agree that people expect way too much. Are there rides that could be updated? Yes. Are there rides that could be replaced? Of Course. But shouldn't most people be more concerned with rides that operate correctly. How long has it been since Everest worked right? Just fixing rides to work as they are intended would make the experience that much different.

Personally, I'd rather see minor tweaks to keep up to date. Change the Playhouse Disney to get rid of the 4 AM Little Einsteins. Add Phineas and Ferb to Imagination over at EPCOT. Update the Muppets. I understand that Disney is a company first and that it is all about the bottom line.

David S.

BTW, The Hulk - probably the most overrated coaster I've ever experienced. It had been a few years since I had been on it, and last week I remembered why I didn't care for it that much. The speed generated by the launch is wasted after the first 3 inversions when they just try to cram as many inversions into the ride as possible instead of relying on the speed for thrills.

Just my opinion, but I often feel that inversions are often misused on coasters because they're an easier selling point than speed elements or other unique elements.(I recognize saying that after making the comparison of Kraken vs. Hulk is somewhat ironic). I thought Rip, Ride, Rockit was a great coaster largely for that reason. It generates it thrills from speed.

To me, I think the loop on California Screamin' is unnecessary, as is the 3rd inversion on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Inversions are nice. But, one word: airtime.

EXACTLY! I find inversions extremely tedious and gimicky, especially when all a coaster does is repeat inversion after inversion ad nauseum. I prefer camelbacks, drops, and AIRTIME any day.

When all I had ridden by B&M was their inversion endurance tests like the Batman:The Rides and just about any of their rides in Florida (except Sheikra, which I like compared to their multiloopers, but is still an underachiever, given its potential), I found their rides to be dissapointing and overated. Loops bore me and the positive g's they often generate annoy me!

However, once I rode my first B&M hypercoaster (Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg), everything changed and they are my favorite steel designer because they make, IMO, the best hypers. My top 3 steel coasters are the three Beemer hypers I've ridden. Intamin? Meh! B&M hypers give more airtime than any steelie I've ridden, and the ergonomically perfect trains and lap bar designs make it possible to EXPERIENCE this air to the fullest. Granted, I still prefer an intense, aggressive, air-filled woodie like Boulderdash, Boardwalk Bullet, Georgia Cyclone, Dania Hurricane, or Gwazi, but as far as steel goes, it doesn't get any better for me than a B&M hyper! (the lack of which in Florida means Space Mountain Omega is my favorite steelie in the state!)

As far as the loops/shoulder harnesses vs. airtime/camelbacks/lap bars debate goes, I think it is very interesting that in the Steel Rankings of the 2010 Golden Ticket Awards announced mere days ago, only 7 of the top 20 had inversions! And the highest rated coaster with inversions placed... get this.... 12th! (Montu). The voters like their airtime! BTW, the Hulk finished 43rd, and 10 of the top 11 were traditional drop/camelback/lap bar hypercoasters, with number 10 being Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point - not a hyper, but no inversions, either!

Here's a link, and a quote from the steel rankings article on page 32:

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/PDF/GTA2010issue.pdf

Amusement Today said:
Of note, for the second year in a row, no looping coaster appears in our top ten. Reaching further down, seven of the top 20 feature inversions. While these coasters are still very popular, it does make one question if the era of the loop is no longer the marketing wow it once was. The highest ranking looping coaster is Montu at Busch Gardens, Tampa.

David S.

They don't show CLASSIC classics like steamboat or anything, but they do have 5 min cartoons that are obviously older that feature Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, and Chip N' Dale.

And sadly, those are extremely butchered er, edited, to fit into the alloted runtime. Most of those cartoons were originally between 8 and 10 minutes long, and Disney Channel USED to show them in their proper length when they still had Vault Disney, and actually gave a care about Walt's work!

Lee

Adventurer
Can anyone confirm if the utilidor expansion is happening or not?

Lee? Raven? Juan?

Yes. There is some expansion of the utilidor system in the plan.
The extent of that expansion is unclear, however. I don't expect it to be much.

cbconglom

Yes. There is some expansion of the utilidor system in the plan.
The extent of that expansion is unclear, however. I don't expect it to be much.

my pic i posted is supposed to be of it.. but i think maybe my posts don't show up.. or i smell... or something...

RSoxNo1

However, once I rode my first B&M hypercoaster (Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg), everything changed and they are my favorite steel designer because they make, IMO, the best hypers. My top 3 steel coasters are the three Beemer hypers I've ridden. Intamin? Meh! B&M hypers give more airtime than any steelie I've ridden, and the ergonomically perfect trains and lap bar designs make it possible to EXPERIENCE this air to the fullest. Granted, I still prefer an intense, aggressive, air-filled woodie like Boulderdash, Boardwalk Bullet, Georgia Cyclone, Dania Hurricane, or Gwazi, but as far as steel goes, it doesn't get any better for me than a B&M hyper! (the lack of which in Florida means Space Mountain Omega is my favorite steelie in the state!)

Apollo's Chariot is a fantastic coaster. I liked it better than Griffon in the same park (although Griffon had it's advantages).

As much as I complain about Six Flags, every coaster fan needs to go to Magic Mountain to experience X2. It's unique - and it's the most thrilling thing I've ever been on.

David S.

Apollo's Chariot is a fantastic coaster. I liked it better than Griffon in the same park (although Griffon had it's advantages).

As much as I complain about Six Flags, every coaster fan needs to go to Magic Mountain to experience X2. It's unique - and it's the most thrilling thing I've ever been on.

Yes, I like Griffon more than its counterpart in Tampa, Sheikra! On the surface it is similar, but I find the ending of Griffon had much more "kick", with some nice pops of airtime on the small bunny hops after the second drop. This gave the ride FOUR moments of airtime (the two bunny hops, plus the two drops), as opposed to Sheikra's two (the two drops), since Sheikra ends with some pretty anti-climatic turns. I think Griffon is, to date, the best and most "complete" of B&M's "Dive Machines", and is my favorite B&M coaster of the one's I've ridden that isn't a hypercoaster, with Sheikra coming in right after it (but with the B&M hypers I've ridden all ahead). Of course, with Gwazi being my favorite coaster in the Busch/Sea World chain, this gives Tampa a nice one/two punch (Gwazi/Sheikra) to rival Apollo/Griffon in Virginia. For my taste, anyway! ;)

I will give X an open mind when I make a long-awaited return trip to the West Coast (hopefully soon after the DCA enhancements are done), but I'm not sure how much I will get into it because I generally don't care for coasters that spin or where the cars change directions while in motion. I'm more an old-school, meat-and-potatoes type of coaster fan. I like travelling forwards, watching the track fly under me, while going up and down a series of hills while floating out of/or getting tossed out of, my seat, with only a lapbar holding me in!

But I will give it an open mind! :)

Here's a question for you about Rip Rocket at Uni. I noticed it is a drop-oriented ride, do the drops/humps give any airtime? If so, I may feel compelled to try an AP there for a year (keeping my WDW and Busch/Sea World ones active, of course!), and also check out Potter in the process.

Flip83

Other than that I do agree that people expect way too much. Are there rides that could be updated? Yes. Are there rides that could be replaced? Of Course. But shouldn't most people be more concerned with rides that operate correctly. How long has it been since Everest worked right? Just fixing rides to work as they are intended would make the experience that much different.

Personally, I'd rather see minor tweaks to keep up to date. Change the Playhouse Disney to get rid of the 4 AM Little Einsteins. Add Phineas and Ferb to Imagination over at EPCOT. Update the Muppets. I understand that Disney is a company first and that it is all about the bottom line.

Yes.. Thank You! I am always up for some tweaking or updating. There are certain attractions that do expire. Honey I shrunk the Audience was a great attraction when it came out, for a long while. Honey I Shrunk the Kids was a verryyy popular movie, but now its a bit outdated. I think bringing back EO was awesome. It's a classic attraction they had, and I think its great that little kids could experience what the older generation experienced.

Ive heard so many complaints about Captain Jack in Pirates ride. Really?! First of all, his additions barely affect that ride. The movies are Blockbusters! Of course they would add him in there, and I loved the additions. They were tastefully done. But they add a great ride, and 6 months later people want another ride. Greedy!

I agree with your Everest point too. It does need to get worked on. I just am tired of hearing how people say it sucks now. Come on, its still a great attraction. They will get to it eventually, they have other things on their platter. I am sure they budget themselves just like any other company. It will be worked on, everyone knows this. It's not going to ruin my experience. Enjoy yourselves! Be positive, you're in the happiest friggin place there is. I go to Disney, and it could be raining all week and I will be smiling ear to ear until that Flight home knowing I have to come back to the real world.

Disney has the nicest cast members that usually try to do anything to make your trip the best one you've ever been on, the best shows with some of the most talented actors/actresses, amazing rides that bring back so many memories, and some of the best dining experiences you'll ever experience. I just wish more people would enjoy the little things more then just whine and complain

By the way... Where do they play these cartoons? I can never find them. I mean I have all the DVD's anyway, but thats besides the point.

David S.

By the way... Where do they play these cartoons? I can never find them. I mean I have all the DVD's anyway, but thats besides the point.

I don't think they are officially listed on the schedule, but just pop up every now and then (in heavilly edited forms) if they have some time to kill between shows.* If you have all the classic animated shorts on DVD, such as the excellent Walt Disney Treasures sets, IMO watching them there would be the best bet.

* At least I never see them on the tv listings grid I use. I am not sure if Disney Channel lists their airtimes on their site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom